Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And to quote David Lynch himself when he gave a surprise Q&A at a Television Critics Association event:

So mining FWWM/The Missing Pieces for clues to how Season 3 will play out might not be such a bad idea.

I assume the ring's going to be important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

LesterGroans posted:

Man, gently caress the haters, Ben Horne getting over his psychosis by having the South win the Civil War is such a perfect dick move. I love it.

I'm a fan of the Civil War plot AND Nadine and Mike.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cromulent posted:

What are your thoughts on Ben Horne in a tracksuit chomping a carrot?

It's excellent. Not a fan of John Justice Wheeler, but I like the stupid Pine Weasel nonsense.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Deakul posted:

I'll probably check out Mulholland Drive since it's on Netflix, I always did mean to see more Lynch movies... it's just that everyone says they're all so surreal and hard to watch that it sort of put me off.

Outside of a couple of amazing pieces, Blue Velvet isn't very surreal and also it kind of works as a Cooper origin story. Dennis Hopper is completely nuts here and it's fantastic.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Finale's going to be an hour of Dick Tremayne hijinks.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Both shows are good and that post is stupid.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Barreft posted:

I'm not a dumbass

Well

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

genericnick posted:

True about BOB. Did the Doppelarm appear at any point previously?

Yeah https://youtu.be/yGlvWD4aoro

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

hallo spacedog posted:

I have a really really clear memory of this, but can't find info on it anywhere: the version I had that I remember watching dozens of times, had a scene where Lucy and Andy are at home at night, sitting in bed in pajamas and playing musical instruments loudly, when Andy gets a phone call? Does anyone else remember this or am I completely crazy? I can't find it online.

It's in the International Pilot and it's a pretty funny scene. It's definitely on the bluray version.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks! I have the bluray set but no player so I've never seen it, or missing pieces, which is pretty stupid I know.

I remember that scene and how funny it was but now I'm starting to get the sense it means way more than I originally thought. I'm probably overanalyzing though.

Thanks!

It's the moment where the international version really hugely diverges from the actual show. Leland calls them, tells them about Bob, and then Cooper and Truman go to confront him in his lair.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The original run perfectly walks the line between horror and comedy, that's a huge reason why it's so good.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Deadly Premonition is basically "What if The Asylum made Twin Peaks?"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

And More posted:

The game looks like crap and plays like crap, but the writing is surprisingly good. The Asylum version wouldn't even tick that last box. It would also likely include more dinosaurs.

I think it's fascinatingly​ weird but there was nothing about the writing that I thought was good. The giant frog fight with the Andy-Denise hybrid is close enough to a dinosaur.

It's still a way better Twin Peaks fan game than Virginia was though.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What the gently caress did Doppelcoop do? What did he activate in Argentina?

Going to be something related to Phillip Jefferies.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Toad really got old and thin.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's honestly amazing how real every minor character has felt to me, even ones that only get a scene or two. They feel like actual people living their lives and not just glorified extras, it's fantastic.

Surprisingly the only character that I've felt is kind of empty so far is Agent Preston, but that might just be because she had so much more of a strong presence in the book. I'm assuming Lynch will go somewhere more interesting with her later though.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

grilldos posted:

This thread is the most TV IV thread there has ever been.

There's actual discussion of the show happening so not really.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I was really expecting that Lord of the Rings rant to end with an ad for golden shovels.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fados posted:

But your comment makes me think that it's precisely trying to remind us that Bad Coop isn't 'just' BOB. There's a bunch of Dale Cooper in there, it's his legit evil core. Only it's channeled in service if disciplined evil. A true Doppleganger, a real synthesis, not just a simple «possession».

I think this is true and as of Fire Walk With Me I think it's also true of Leland, that Bob is more of an amplifier of his darkest desires than simply an evil spirit in his body.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The unfortunate son of Audrey and Leo Johnson.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fados posted:

The obverse of this are the also endless discussions about how Tamara's characer is just a patriarchal indulgence from Lynch that only serves our male gaze pleasure and that's why she has long shots of walking like a female NPC from GTA Vice City (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VODNDjXuMhE). This then goes much further and gets mixed up with her personal career in that her band is bad, her live performances underwhelming, that she was only casted, again because of Lynch's preverted lustful indulgences, etc. So yeah, you get crazy lunatic fans of all types.

Lynch wrote a scene where a character directly makes fun of the character he plays for picking Preston just because she's hot. It's obviously indulgent but he's got a sense of humor about it and it's not that bad.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Watch it all the first time and skip the stuff you hate next time. No one will ever agree on what the bad parts are.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The way Frank Truman is acting feels a lot like the way Harry acts in The Missing Pieces so I'd believe it was originally written for him.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dudes need to chill with the "no true Lynch fan" stuff. It's ok to disagree about the show.

Anyway, I loved the way Dougie's face lit up when he saw the picture of Jade. She's really been one of the most purely good new people we've met.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Leaving him with a security person and saying "I think he had a stroke" isn't ideal but it's hugely better than anyone else has behaved. Though the cop in this last episode was helpful too, the second time.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cephas posted:

is there even one happy wife in twin peaks?

Mrs. Briggs was frustrated with Bobby but otherwise content in season 1/2. Lucy's happy, even if she's afraid of cell phones.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

eSporks posted:

Well we weren't supposed to find out who killed Laura Palmer, that was executives forcing that hand.

Good. The reveal was perfect and it led to Lynch making an amazingly good movie.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yeah same. I think people who need this show to be all normal Coop and coffee drinking and pie eating were expecting too much of the wrong thing going into this. That's like the stereotype of what people think Twin Peaks is. Y'all knew this was all Lynch going full Lynch on Showtime and not ABC, right? You saw Fire Walk With Me, right? Why did you think that's what this would be?

I'm really enjoying the show but I don't think it feels like Fire Walk With Me, so I don't think that's fair. Other than the first 30 minutes or so before we get to Twin Peaks, Fire Walk is very intimately focused on one person's struggles (which is why adding back The Missing Pieces feels like a distraction) while season 3 has been a very big, global (galactic?) story with many, many threads. I don't think it's crazy to be a fan of the movie or of Lynch in general and react badly to this season.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

kaworu posted:

I'm trying to get my dad to actually watch David Lynch.

Show him Andy walking into the planks.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm not sure I like Diane being a real person and not just Cooper's tape recorder but Laura Dern is always great.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I can't believe Bad Cooper and Diane had a party where they killed and froze Major Briggs and then he never called her after.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

nopants posted:

that was windom earle and leo johnson in a costume

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I can't believe man meddled with science he wasn't meant to touch and then the Moon Presence birthed BOB.

In spite of this being Peak Lynch it really felt super heavily connected to Frost's book and the fixation it has on Aleistair Crowley's Moonchild.

quote:

Its plot involves a magical war between a group of white magicians, led by Simon Iff, and a group of black magicians over an unborn child.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

TheMaestroso posted:

IT SURE DOES

I keep expecting Dougie Milford to play an important role in all this, and now that we're doing flashback episodes I half expect Nixon to show up.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Boner Zone posted:

"you want julee cruise singing in the background of donna and james reuniting in the roadhouse? gently caress you here's a cut to the nine inch nails with no known characters in sight" -the lynchmeister

There are pieces of other Lynch films all over the new season and I guess he wanted to keep making concert films after his 2014 thing with Duran Duran. I like them as credits songs but the NIN scene did absolutely nothing for me.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I actually don't want to know who the girl who ate the frog-bug is. I liked the whole scene as a spreading/revealing of corruption across a completely innocent looking town parallel to Twin Peaks. I'm not interested in the world building I guess.

Also I assume the season ends with Laura coming back to life and Cooper going to space.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 29, 2017

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I assume Bobby will become more important as The Briggs Conspiracy heats up.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

One of the biggest themes of the first two seasons and a whole lot of Lynch's work is that the Americana sweetness is disgusting and rotten underneath. The third season has him stare into the camera and announce "change your hearts or die." It's not subtle.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Whole lot of Chad in this thread now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Can't wait for Bobby to get to the parallel dimension where Laura and Leland are alive

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 10, 2017