Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

xzzy posted:

The map on display says to me Bungie has been playing a lot of Overwatch too, which I'm kind of meh on.

Yeah it looks a lot like an Overwatch map which is a shame because I liked how wide and open a lot of Destiny 1 crucible maps were. That combined with the drop to 4v4 for everything is disappointing and gives the impression that everything's being scaled back and slowed down. I was looking forward to more 6v6 Mayhem and Rift :(

Do we know if the Moon, Mars, Dreadnought and Venus are returning in this game, or are the only locations the four new ones that they mentioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Has Bungie said if the fireteam sizes for PvE content have changed, or is it just PvP that's seen fireteam adjustments?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BlindSite posted:

Pvp reveal tomorrow. Apparently it's control which makes me think it's the "casual" playlist.

Gonna be weird with PvP dropped down to 4v4. I wonder if they'll change it to be more like King of the Hill? Seems like a single capture point that moves around the map would be more suited to the lower player count since it will keep the action focused.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Warlocks/Titans/Hunters will actually have all three subclasses, rather than the two that people theorized, because we've already seen the golden gun and pole dancer Hunters and at the start of this video you can see one use the void shade step ability I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgCnFzQTwUc

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Found another gameplay vid, this one showing the sentinel Titan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cVZZR8EGDU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

NostalgiaGoggles posted:

who's ready to block friendly snipers and rockets? :getin:

I hope you can use Titan shields to block the doorways in the first PvP map we saw so enemy players can't even get in the room to diffuse the bomb once you set it

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Emron posted:

I don't think they'd put self res back in. I'm interested to see the alternate super for solar warlock.

I hope they do because it's something unique like the bubble shield. If most supers are just different colored projectiles it would be really boring, I like how radiance focused on reducing ability cooldowns instead and was fun paired with the claws etc.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Looks way too big for 4v4, I wonder if some of this stuff was designed before they dropped the player count for PvP?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I saw the titan do the knee dash move but I think that was the striker subclass.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

OdinsBeard posted:

According to the TWAB all 6 subclasses that have shown up so far will be available in the beta. Top skill path only, though.

This makes me thing they might be holding back the other 3.

I saw one of the lead designers respond to someone on Twitter who was asking about the missing subclasses:

https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/885530260371943425

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I never played the Rise of Iron expansion but I remember reading about the introduction of artifacts and thinking that they were a cool idea. Are these going to be present in Destiny 2 or have they been scrapped?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

e-sports is where the visibility, and therefore, money, is at. you can dislike it but don't act like it's puzzling. having people pvping on twitch is at this point free advertising.

I don't see why they had to change the entire PvP suite when Trials already accomplished this?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Trials is the exact opposite of what the "sweat" community did with the game after private matches debuted.

D1 was inherently VERY unbalanced; albeit fun. Trials was really a showcase of how uneven crucible was.

I think a compromise could be met since they've addressed a lot of problems with the change to the two primaries and power weapon system, in my opinion.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Rift could have been awesome with some tweaks and adjustments, especially with the new class abilities that they've introduced to the game now. I'm surprised that they've ditched so much stuff and their new showpiece mode is bomb diffusion that plays almost the same way every single round.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Legs Benedict posted:

i want to say that they aren't ditching Rift and there's no way the game will launch with just two PVP modes but

Bungie

I think their business model is to remove stuff and then reintroduce it with DLC packs. Could be wrong but I think the first two DLC packs will focus on bringing back slightly tweaked PvP modes and revisiting locations from the first game. It would be really cool if they expanded on that however and the Osiris DLC gave us a patrol space on Mercury or something.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CheeseFactory posted:

There wasn't a whole lot of shooting things in the strike. Makes me wonder if the difficulty was scaled down or if D2 is being made for thumbless morons.

I really enjoyed the crazy staircase fight in the Undying Mind strike because they throw a load of enemies at you and it's really chaotic, much like that start room with all the Fallen and Hive in the Omnigul strike. I think that's where the game excels, when the screen is full of enemies and there's supers/abilities going off constantly, orbs being sprayed like candy and everything is dialed up to 11. I think I'm probably in the minority though because people would quit the Undying Mind strike as soon as it started most of the time, which was really disappointing, but I wish they would put a lot more enemies in strikes to keep the action going.

The one thing that stands out the most in the D2 beta strike is that muddy area with all the craters, which seems like it should have four or five times as many enemies scattered about since it seems perfect for a big battle and maybe a vehicle or two as well, but instead it's just a big open area with some dogs and a small base at the end. It would be more enjoyable if those Cabal ball things were dropping in constantly with dropships unloading troops as well, or they had a mid-Strike boss with a new type of Cabal tank to fight. It's a shame there isn't really much going on.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

sunday at work posted:

This game is just begging for a real horde/survival mode.

The odd thing is that the game is designed so perfectly for it as well.

Every species in the game has a spawning mechanic allowing them to be spawned at any time anywhere in the world. The Vex spawn from clouds of smoke, the Hive have their ships warp in and out of the area, the Cabal and Fallen have their dropships fly down and Taken spawn from black orbs. I have no idea what's stopping them from crafting a horde/survival mode that utilizes the PvP maps and spawns in waves of enemies using the existing mechanics already in the game.

Judging by the PoE I assume that the holdup is their insistence on finding odd ways of complicating the mode (adding mines to diffuse and other stupid stuff) and fretting over other irrelevancies when they really should just make use of what they already have. The introduction of defensive abilities like the Titan walls and Warlock healing auras make the lack of a horde mode even weirder, but it could be something that they're keeping a secret for release? They know people want it so it would be odd if D2 launched without it. Just dump fireteams in PvP maps and keep spawning enemies until they're overwhelmed and die, then base the rewards on how many waves they survived (e.g. surviving 30 waves is two guaranteed legendaries and surviving 50 is a guaranteed exotic because it's stupidly hard). It would be fun fighting combinations of different factions as well, such as waves against Taken/Hive/Vex and then one against Fallen/Cabal/Splicers.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I have this theory that all these parts of the game we are seeing were finalized at certain stages of destiny 1s life cycle, so sidearms being total poo poo in this beta is because the destiny 2 team implemented sidearms at the original time of the bad destiny 1 sidearms.

You can kinda see this in the strike too (very vanilla destiny but with Ttk length).

I wonder how many late stage D1 balance/QoL/gameplay improvements will have missed the cut.

Yeah. Sidearms also seem completely redundant with the changes to the weapon system and players carrying two primaries. Sidearms filled a specific niche in the old special weapon system but since it no longer exists there doesn't seem to be any point to having them in the game.

I think that the entire time they've been developing the game they've known what they're doing in regards to the locations and story, but core aspects of the gameplay systems have been in a constant state of flux, such as the switch to two primaries and a power weapon and PvP dropping down to 4v4 across the board. You can see this with things such as the Felwinters PvP map which was obviously designed for 6v6, which makes me wonder how much other content has been designed with the old systems in mind.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wish the social space was somewhere cool like all the survivors hiding out under that broken shard of the traveler instead, but I'm guessing there's probably story missions (or maybe a strike/raid) that involve it instead. Something interesting and appropriate for the setting would have been preferable to the farm though, like maybe hiding out in a Rasputin bunker or something.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CheeseFactory posted:

Yeah I'm sure there will be a lot of videos but they won't be any where near as exciting as full speed titan skating while laying watse with last word and pulling off a drag scope and slamming the last guy.

It will be more holding position and team shotting this dude from medium range with a pulse.

I think that if they're going to move so many weapons to the power weapon slot and allow only one person to benefit from collecting ammo, they need to put way more of them around maps on different cooldown timers so there's more diversity to engagements and interesting stuff happening. They need to do something to compensate for less abilities/supers etc. going off, and even Halo had power weapons spread out everywhere to keep things exciting. That recent survival mode reveal with one power weapon pack in the middle looked so boring, everyone was doing exactly what you described.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

limaCAT posted:

Pre D2 announcement Rumors were about old areas getting reintroduced with dlcs or expansions after being extended and re purposed with the new missions and events. Those rumors also talked about bigger patrol areas, less emphasis on orbit and in patrol vendors and apparently those things are true.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be an ice planet in the game because they teased that for D1 and they've pushed out more concept art for it with D2. I'm guessing it will probably be in one of the first DLC packs maybe?

Also I forget where but somebody shared an image of some preorder card thing for this game and it listed basic stuff like 10 new PvP maps but also mentioned that it supported multiplayer for up to 16 people, so I wonder if they've been keeping some kind of big team battle mode under wraps? My first thought was that it was referring to social spaces but apparently they support 20+ players.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, they fill the trailer with supers and power weapons to make it look exciting but unless they've tweaked cooldowns and added a lot more power ammo to the maps then the PvP isn't going to be anywhere near that exciting. I'm hoping they've made some changes to all of that based on the feedback to the beta.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

DrNutt posted:

Like I'm glad after breaking free from the MS yoke they did something besides making Halo with the serial numbers filed off but like, did they play games in the meantime? Did they learn things from their experiences making Halo? How far up their own asses did they go in making Destiny I wonder?

Employee reviews on Glassdoor complain that a lot of the design leads at Bungie are arrogant and shoot down suggestions while bragging about how they made Halo and don't need to listen to someone lower on the company ladder telling them how to improve things so yeah, they're just up their own asses. Reading what it's like to work at that studio pretty much confirms a lot of the speculation people have had about why things are so slow and keep going wrong. I feel sorry for the teams who dedicate so much time to crunch only to have some idiot walk in at the end and say to scrap it all and start again because it doesn't fit their vision.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this game is going to be more than playable and quite frankly all the pearl-clutching in this thread is hilarious

will it be perfect at launch? of course not, but the idea this game is going to be bad is patently ridiculous. oh no pvp is 4v4 and strikes are 3 players this is literally unplayable. oh no i can't do private matches what the gently caress will the three people who care about destiny tournaments do???

I think some people are just bummed that although the game will be fun to play, it could be so much more if it wasn't for the boneheads in charge of development.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

NostalgiaGoggles posted:

nevermind, edz patrol vid got taken down lol

Someone reuploaded it, but I'm not sure how long it will be available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLPLgyLhhPg

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I thought the gameplay reveal of Anthem looked great but it's obvious that the final game will not look or play anything like that at all. I'd love to be wrong but it looks too good.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Legs Benedict posted:

also remember the interview with Lars where he was like “the crucible team kept saying that 4v4 would be bad but I really liked the idea so I pushed it through because you gotta break eggs to make an omelette”

This explains why every single PvP map is way too big for 4v4 then. If Bungie can instantly turn-off an XP nerfing system once the community discovers it I'm sure they could take five minutes to switch all the PvP modes over to 6v6.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

quote:

Right, so it's not something you guys might revisit or rework in the future? Like could we see 6v6 return, but maybe on a larger map?

Lars Bakken: I think at this point it would be very difficult to go back to those types of experiences and the reason I say that is because the entire game was created around this 4v4 focus.

I wouldn’t even know where to start. Like do you know double the team size or like create bigger maps.

It’s not like we couldn’t do it, it’s just there are so many things that are fundamentally reliant on how the systems connect, it would be pretty difficult to do.

Sorry I have to break fans hearts. I believe the experience is so good that I want them to play it and see it for themselves.

I dunno man maybe just go change whatever value sets the teamsize from 4 to 6? Guy's trying to pretend it's this monumental task that would somehow break everything and take so much work when in reality someone could do it during their lunch break and still have time to poo poo on this guys desk before getting back to work. Then again maybe he's got bigger problems if he thinks teams reverting back to six people instead of four is somehow doubling their size, he can't even get basic maths right.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

haveblue posted:

It's really hard to estimate how hard a particular task would be in a codebase of this size with no knowledge of it. At the very least you'd have to have to update the HUD and match intro cutscenes and probably a bunch of other internal things I can't think of off the top of my head, all of which would be heavily dependent on how well and flexibly they were written in the first place.

Good points regarding the HUD & intro, but considering the game counts fireteams as 4/6 I think we all know deep down that it would be a very quick change to make, he's just fallen into the trap some developers do where they think they know better than everyone else and double down with dumb excuses to defend their bad decisions.

Does anyone really think that the game was developed with 4v4 in mind and maps like Vostok are just comically large because Bungie wanted to explore the walking simulator genre? It was obviously changed from 6v6 to 4v4 at the last minute and the only reason it would remain 4v4 is because Lars can't admit he screwed up and should have listened to his team. Looking on Glassdoor you can see this arrogance is rife among development leads in the studio.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think the cheapest way to reduce lag would have been to ditch SBMM and make it prioritize connection no matter what, but that probably went against someone's vision.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

AwkwardKnob posted:

There's no way they could look at the dwindling player numbers, the total lack of engagement from the e-sports and Twitch communities, and think things are going great, right? Sometimes I wonder how these people even have jobs at these huge companies. Am I being naive? Just seems like if I got a job at Bungie, and was put in charge of a bunch of design poo poo and then it turned out all my decisions backfired and made the fans hate the game I'd been put in charge of..... wouldn't I be fired?

What the gently caress is going on haha

Crucible team member: We've been hemorrhaging players like crazy, the community is complaining about the changes you insisted we make and our Twitch influencers are playing Fortnite. I really think we should give people what they want and revert some of the more unpopular changes to the game.

Lars Bakken: But that doesn't fit my vision.

Crucible team member: The game is dying, Lars.

Lars Bakken: gently caress you. I made Halo.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's both funny and sad that the state of the game is so bad they're too scared to hold another live stream or even get studio leadership on there. It will be interesting to read the blog update but if it's just an insistence that they're listening rather than a public commitment to making some of the big changes the game needs then there's no point.

mango sentinel posted:

If they announced 6v6 and across the board cooldown reduction I'm back in.

Yeah, this would be a good quick-fix to push out within the next few weeks if they're serious.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Legs Benedict posted:

they are literally talking about actual changes they are making so

What I'm getting at is that Bungie usually takes the smallest steps possible with things like this. It would be great to see some big changes instead and hopefully with the state of the game being what it is they feel confident enough to do something like that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

All these changes are good but don't address what are imho the core failures of the game

Yeah, it's mostly a plan for minor tweaks and adjustments to the game. Tuning supremacy scoring ain't gonna fix PvP and private matches sometime in 2018 aren't going to fix it either. Masterworks sound cool, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Mazerunner posted:

probably like always they underestimated the speed and ferocity that people would poopsock at and figured that xur's selection of exotics every week would be a big enough cost of shards and didn't anticipate people having hundreds or thousands of shards and all or almost all the exotics a month in.

I'm surprised that they haven't had a plan to slowly bring back D1 content to help fill out DLC packs a bit. The Osiris stuff looks okay but if that content was given a little boost with a returning strike, an extra PvP map brought over from D1 and maybe two or three old exotics as well it would be great.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Has anyone seen or know what the mystery third PvP map is? I've seen the two maps that have been shown on Titan, which are Pacifica and Wormhaven, the latter of which is PlayStation exclusive. I haven't seen any info/shots/footage of the third map anywhere, though. IGN and co. all said there's three maps in CoO (or two if you're on Xbox/PC) so I'm curious what it is.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

So Xbone gets 1 new crucible map, until they feel like rolling out the next one in three weeks with iron banner or whatever. Christ these guys are dipshits. Do they not realize the game is stale as hell and needs an adrenaline shot?

Turns out there is actually a third map (or second if you're not on PS4) and it's called Radiant Cliffs. It's set in that Titanfall-style simulation area with the yellow grass and white Vex architecture. They could have padded the content out by bringing back Asylum or something as well, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The whole Vex simulation and Infinite Forest thing would have been a great opportunity to introduce some kind of Forge mode for making PvP maps. Would have been a good excuse to introduce a proper horde mode as well and let groups go up against all factions at once.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sucks seeing a game with so much potential squandered like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Are many people here still actually playing this game, or is it mostly discussion of design flaws and speculation of what/how things could be fixed? Just curious since another community I looked at had most people going back to Destiny 1 and I was interested in seeing if people here have mostly given up on D2 as well?