Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
...I power through the LP in one day just to see that happen. Timing. Signed up for Mars Navy anyway!

TheWetFish posted:

Potentially very pointedly, with pieces of Gusty wreckage. It might recognise what that weapon was

Might also want to point out that it seems, from the narrative, that the plasma cannon shot from the Atrocity actually put a brake on the portal's size increasing. I'd ask the marines to tell the Facility to run data on that in particular too; see if we can't work out what that means for us limiting this like these breaches happening again in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Crazycryodude posted:

It is my friend, and that is the only thing that truly matters.

Sounds like someone needs to be posted to the Atrocity as operational command post-haste...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

So, caught up again. Let's not worry about trying to cloak and/or shadow the Terran jumpers til we've resolved Titan II, chaps? Got enough to worry about right now.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

No, no, the fight for Titan seems to be going fairly well. We clearly aren't overextended enough.

IC tactical genius spotted.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Excuse you, I'm a Martian tactical idiot.

Given how this war's going one could argue they're the same thing! *ba dum tiss*

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Dear loving god, let's not declare war on our own spec ops division, people! Have a word with and confirm seizure of the Triumvir, absolutely, start throwing around the clout of having just managed to bring Titan into the Martian Republic to make it clear that the Triumvir bastard deserves a public trial and indefinite prison sentence, maybe, but don't get insane with them. We're riding a wave right now and let's not piss that away.

Not to mention without SB we'd have had a harder time in the run up to the battles of Titan and there's a good chance we wouldn't have a good number of the sorium harvesters due to those suicide nukes, either...

TheWetFish posted:

We should contact Special Branch in any event, just in case that was the Triumvir hijacking Special Branch's ship

Also a drat good point

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

:stare: Goddamn, someone grab Marspedia's page for "skin of your teeth" and just replace it with the combat report for the 2nd Battle for Titan, please. A fine win, in both senses of the word!

Let's just hope we can salvage the IC goodies before Terran fleets interfere.

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Paint that Deimos flat black, and form a new 'Razgriz' squadron under him.

Oh yeah, do this at once

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

I mean, I"m not expecting to transfer to them today. But eventually it'd be amazing if Triton Fleet's new flagship was a repainted and renamed Ford.

What, so we rename it the Martian Space Vessel General Motors? :v:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Hey! I think you'll find as the one who came up with the General Motors name I've as much right to that space-hulk-in-the-making as you two! :argh:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Y'know, this big old pile of hulks would make a pretty good foundation for the Titanian Free Navy, especially since they've got an ex-IC shipyard.

That would be the sensible thing to do, admittedly...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Flag time, you say?

Seeing as the TFS are pretty pro-Mars right now, I'd assume they'd want something simple they can make in a hurry (considering that, you know, their home's a bit on fire right now), and vaguely familiar to our own happy Martian banner.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

What're we gonna use them for? The entire paradigm of ship design is gonna shift thanks to FTL, trading some last-gen relics that'll never leave the system for infinity goodwill points is worth it imo. We're totally gonna copy every single nut and bolt that looks more advanced than ours before handing them over, though.

Yeah, as much as I dug for the GM-space-hulk, this is the smarter thing to do. Equally though, maybe we need to give them to the TFS right now and ask for a "repair team" to do the scanning and copying later to prevent the UN from nicking the wrecks for themselves as part of the 'peace-keeping clean up' or such bollocks. They'd have a much harder go publicly and politically of taking them from the TFS, an aggrieved fledging state, than big ol' bad military republic on the warpath Mars.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

How about (and this is beyond my very limited paint skills) taking the current IC standard, painting the black parts red, and superimposing a missile, or the image of Mars, across the white dot part of the old IC flag? Represents how vital the fleet was to kicking in the IC's teeth, and has a link to the usual Mars colours.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Annnnnd now we wait for the Pluto wormhole's friends to show up in 3, 2, 1...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

So really, it would have gone swimmingly :v:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

250 posts? Must have been something with th---Sweet baby Jesus.

First off, complete agreement with this:

Rorac posted:

Call up Earth, offer them aid, and then form a combined mission into research and treatment of jump psychosis. This cannot be allowed to happen again.

Second off: Speaking of the possible rogue UT captain, has anyone actually checked what was on that data stick yet? Can't help but think now would be the time if not; even if it's just insane ramblings, it would at least give us a clue as to what in the buggery just happened.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Last I knew, the data was being looked into by appropriately suspicious minds. I don't think the results were released.

Hmph. Fine as long as those appropriately suspicious minds aren't just in SB and keep it to themselves. Speaking of that branch...

Third point: Can someone get Senator Harris, by hook or by crook, on the line and just pin him (preferably with something nice and heavy; I would favour a rivet gun myself) down long enough to make sure this wasn't some half-baked alpha strike against the UT that never got cancelled after the Lunar Accords?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

gently caress. I mean, I know there's politics to do and all, but this is godawful.

Have the UT ships outside of Terra been informed? If not, we probably should.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Oh goody.

Well, can we check to see what - if anything - Facility knows of the Collaboration’s countermeasures? No harm in cribbing from their notes for ideas.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

......what.

What.

OK, so my post has some actual content to it ... presupposing that we've managed to create a stable meta-wormhole to an entirely different bloody LP, can someone close the door please!? And staying firmly in the Aurora-verse, aquatic creatures is a sensible next testing point. Perhaps even before we shove human subjects through. Hell, if we can make these jump drones/animal-holding drones this easily we can wait to put a few thousand kettles' worth of water in and a slightly confused cephalopod.

E: Oh, and, yes, we should be verrrry worried that the jump-gate terminology has now become startlingly non-metaphorical. Ring up Facility / Col. Autoshades and start asking questions about any more details it knows about jumping, full stop. Not just jump pyschosis like last time, but even the basics like "so did the Collaboration ever do something like this? Do you have records of their jump tests?", etc.

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 10, 2017

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

It's not just this thread anymore

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3831837&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post477268318

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Pretty much what I expected. Sometimes wait and see is the best approach.

QFT. 'til the situation changes, we stick to the route we're currently holding and let the Terrans bugger themselves over.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Christ, it's just as well Saros is avoiding political representation in this thread. The Sanity party would be, what, two or three members tops.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

.............well, I've missed a bit, haven't I. Oh dear.

Crazyeyes24 posted:

OH great... that's a lot of future spacemadness waiting to happen...

To be fair, that's been the case since we first discovered jump point tech.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Throw open those doors and let the Void in Facility out at once!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

And there's the payoff. Pack it up Martians, we're done here! :v:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Sweet, first assignment and we're going into The Pit. Let's see what happens to my jump cruiser in a nebula! :black101:

two_step posted:

Calling it now, Ghost Putin lives on the comet...

Only because Ghost Tango made the nebula and put the comet there, of course.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

As a courageously organizedly religious Martian cruiser captain, I feel I can only really vote for grouping everything up and kill Shiva.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Oh good, what a happy 20-page surprise to roll back on into... Still, Mars will endure.

Warn the Terrans, full details, and make dead sure to not give up our foothold in the Pit, by reinforcing it asap. I might not be able to sum it up as succinctly in game terms, having never played Aurora, but I'm a courageous captain and I'll be damned if I concede a hard, but holdable with help ground now, in exchange for a bloody ugly JP assault down the line. By all means get the damaged ships out immediately, but we'll lose less in the next Pit battle if we don't have to kick in the front door again(proverbially).

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

I'm highly pleased most fellow Martians (with some discouraging exceptions) have concurred that it would be utterly craven to not engage these Crabs outside of the Pit; and to make one hell of a diplomatic coup in the attempt. Engage, and split the fleet to force the fight! In nomine Mars!
...XO, make sure that butter and garlic bread order I wrote up for the victory feast got through, would you?

Synthbuttrange posted:

They’re just crabby

You, on the other hand, are a disappointment to us all, Terran and Martian alike

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I assume that Mars is just lots of hard drinking, partying, and competitive dialectical materialism 24/7.

I'll drink to that!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Sooooo, full disclosure. This was supposed to be finished days ago, but a dentist's ravaging appointment knocked the writing wind out of me while the battle for Nova Sol was current. But! With permission from Saros, it's time to see what was going on with a certain Commander with the cruisers at the Pit while the battle was hot...

---

Meanwhile, on the bridge of the Resolution-class CJ Vedette.

Commander Serpentis ran through the duty rosters for the next day’s shifts, again, chair turned slightly away from the rest of the crew. For the … well, it had to be fifth or six time in the shift, by this point. He practically could recite it without notes by now. Like the shield generator part replacement schedule, another invitation to yet another wind-blasted dome committee back home he ‘sadly’ must miss due to duty, and five more requests from the Mars state media channels for comment that had rolled in since first contact had gone down; all he’d already read, filled out, and fired off in triplicate as needed. Parked up and waiting for news from Nova Sol, there wasn’t much immediate else to do but read and wait. But! It’d be negligent to do nothing for the Navy and Mars in idle hours. Hells, that’d be the case on a normal day. With all the madness of the Pit on the one hand, and the mad dash for Nova Sol to observe on the other, this was anything but normal. And here he was, sitting in a system full of yet more aliens, these distinctly monstrous in nature… shepherding what was essentially a non-combat vessel while the pride of the fleet burned to Nova Sol or directly battled the foe in system. He tutted to himself as he signed off on another page, and muttered something profane about his luck. Cutting-edge, unquestionably, the Vedette, and a damned good and useful ship. Just … not the most glorious posting.

The moment of irritation passed. Almost right away, he chastised himself; what a selfish reaction that was! Yes, he could not help Mars fight these aliens with missiles or beams, but he could do it with planning and proud words, backed with zeal and conviction. In short; proper preparation. And preparation for dealing with this new threat was vital. He’d pored over the combat data from those ships blessed enough to engage the enemy from the Pit; well, ‘crabs’, as the ratings were calling them. He certainly could see why; there was an undeniable physical resemblance from the autopsy report, after all. But was there something more to it than that? Was there a fel design in their unnatural movement, their vicious clawing attitude to combat, that was a clue to their intentions? Behind his hand, he frowned. Maybe he was overthinking it… Or maybe they were so alien, so unnatural, that they deserved such analysis of their foul nature, as well as their looks? …or were they just like humans in mind, if not in body?

He was regretting the joke about ‘butter and garlic bread for a victory grill’ he’d put in the last comms back to Mars after learning of the resemblance, though. That his XO had found it hilarious, so much so she’d passed it on to other officers, who naturally leaked it to their sections, meant that the next ship-scale requisition form he had to fill in was a surreal experience. Expectations to meet and morale to keep, and all that. Whatever the hells the requisition officers back with Supply were thinking about him now would be another matter entirely. The Commander smiled at the thought of the XO wearing a chef’s hat, grilling alien, briefly coming into his mind on the winds, before swatting it down and going back to the display. Focus in all things. Last page. Holden and his team last rotation, sensor ops… yes, all well there. He signed off on it with a forefinger tapping out the commands, before turning his chair back towards the bridge’s front. He leaned back and waved away the roster, and was about to pull up another simulated battle plan for if the crabs got close to the jump cruisers, when he hissed quietly as the familiar fang of pain slid into the back of his head and his vision blurred slightly.

Irony was, despite all his personal preparations, all the coffee stops, painkillers and walks about the ship to ‘take a break’ as the doctor had recommended… yes, there was that damned migraine coming on again. No medical rhyme or reason as the doc had seen it; she had chalked it up to “bad luck, or stress”. The once, he’d have agreed with. Twice? A jumping problem, he’d have guessed, as much fun as that would be to report. But now, on a third time since the squadron had arrived in the Pit and stayed there… not the most portentous omen. Still. He at least knew how to salve his soul, even if the mind was still a bit fraught. And he could make the time. “XO, sign the roster off when you’re done, and post it. You have the bridge. And if you still want to ram the next crab ship that pops up face-first, you’ve my permission, but ping me a warning, would you be so kind?” A snort and an “Aye, Commander” were all he heard from her as he stepped off the bridge and back to the nearest lift. Back to his quarters. And solitude, temporarily.

---

The door slid closed behind him, and the lock engaged a moment later. The commander sighed, and tossed his hat onto his desk, running a hand through his hair. He stepped into the washroom to clean his hands, sighing as he caught a glimpse of the tell-tale start of bags under his eyes in the mirror. Maybe he should see the doctor on the way back. See if there was something to the stress diagnosis after all. But not now.

He stepped into the washroom, filled up the sink, and after dousing his hand, took off his jacket and rummaged about in the inside pocket. He reached under the sink, behind a loose panel, drew out the bottle of red dusty sand from home, and tapped out a small amount onto his forefinger. Slowly, he began to trace out the curved patterns on his chest. Ah, for a proper place to conduct the rite, he thought to himself as he hummed a tune and moved past the second crest. Well, he didn’t have that luxury, now did he? Mars would hear his plea, no matter how far he was from her.

The cabin was silent for a few minutes more as he continued, thin rising and falling lines in red starting to dance across his torso, with the occasional pause for more sand and water. But as he moved to place the last sign, the rounded rune of Mars above his heart, he paused. He realised he’d let his zeal get ahead of him again, and not thought out what he was going to actually say. He weighed up the risk for a moment. Here, at least, he could close the bathroom door in a pinch, but his personal prayer-holo was in the main room desk, and if one of the officers came in with urgent news while he was preparing in there and reading … Hm. Best not to chance it. He tutted at his own recklessness before taking a breath. Perhaps a classic would serve in times like these.

“O Martis, hallowed be thy dunes,
Guard my soul as darkness yet looms;
In the name of the Saints, let red light dawn,
Over lands far from your grace and forsworn;
Yet as blessed Saffiya prais’d your name,
Let your truths be known across Sol once again.”

He’d just about managed to get halfway through “Amen” before he heard a knock at the door. His lunge for the close button on the washroom door might have been the fastest he’d made a grab for something since the first “relaxed Friday night” he’d been a part of in the officer’s barracks. The washroom door hissed closed as he heard the internal room comm fire up. “Commander? Sorry to interrupt your shut-eye, but news from Nova Sol. Urgent. You’re wanted on the bridge.” He managed to stifle a groan. How was it always MacTavish with the bad timing on this ship…?

“Understood, LT, I’ll be there in three.” He waited for a second for the lieutenant to kill the call and leave before quietly tapping out the rune of Mars with an “Amen.” Two minutes later, he’d cleaned himself and was back in uniform, moving back towards the bridge to hear the news…

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Pash posted:

Saros noted on the discord that this is cannon and was surprised we don't seem to be worried about it.

Well, as per my dentist issues, I picked a poor time to post it frankly :v:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Nevets posted:

Plan: Red Scare

Now this, this is a plan I can get behind. A vote for Red Scare.

LLSix posted:

Oh look. A cult. A secret cult. A secret cult in a culture that has no prior references to being a theological state or persecuting weird religions.
This is so loving bad. A new religion popping up right now just about has to be the result of jumpmadness influence.

That they're hiding knowledge of even the existence of the cult pretty much confirms. If the religion was all sweetness and light they wouldn't be hiding it in our society.

Worse, they have spaceship captains on their side. Spaceship captains with access to next generation better-than-nuke warheads. If the broadcast hadn't been so specific about the small size of the explosion, It'd be a slam dunk that this is where they got the nuke from. As is, it could still be one of our AMMs or even a last generation size 1 missile.

Hey, remember how one of UTs captains nuked the surface of Earth after going jump crazy? Our captains might start doing it just because they belong to a crazy cult. No magic number of too many jumps needed first. Best of all, we can't even do anything about it since its a secret cult we don't officially know about. Happy holidays everyone! :toot:

You may very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Why do you assume they're new? There's a fine line beween fanatics and zealots, the Rust Cult might well be old news.

Captain Serpentis might just be weird.

Couldn't comment on either count, naturally.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Plan: Nuke Earth

Nuke Earth

I mean I'm totally-not-a Mars cultist and even I think this is a hilariously bad idea

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

1. Dominon of Sol.

2. Fleet Programme Supplement Alpha

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Frankly, I'm staggered at the difference between the worry one show of faith by a devout of Mars caused in the thread, compared to the rather tepid reaction to the oily drivel oozing out of the vox-speakers of the Facility cultists around here...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Another two superiorities of the Mars Cult vs. Facility Drivel; we don't invent pseudo-Latin, or ask for handouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Nevets posted:

Cults serving punch usually results in lower membership though...

:golfclap: