Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IcePhoenix posted:

Pitchers duels are the best, hopefully it holds for you. I still fondly remember a Johan/Pedro duel that I went to over a decade ago.

Jose Fernandez / Alex Wood in 2014, it was amazing. (I went with some folks from work, none of whom were baseball fans; they were bored to tears while I was loving it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Jon Lieber and Greg Maddux starts were pretty much the only time I would keep track of pitch counts on my scorecard.

Man, Jon Lieber and Julian Tavarez were loving beasts for me in that year's High Heat Baseball... :sigh:

Edit: Jesus, was Lieber the Cubs' last 20-game winner until Arrieta in '15?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tom Gorman posted:

The bigger question from sorting through the pitch velocity stats - when did Joe Kelly start throwing so drat hard and topping the charts? I guess when he moved to the pen?

His two-seamer is up 4mph from last season. :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

They gave Zambrano a $90MM extension during a season where he ended up leading the league in most walks allowed following a season where he led the league in most walks allowed.

Every now and again Hendry would pull off an amazing trade (although Maddux for Izturis, :wtc:), but, my God, when he decided to open up the checkbook, he did it in the most mind-boggling ways possible.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Derreck Lee for Hee Seop Choi lol

Jose Hernandez and Bobby Hill for Kenny Lofton and Aramis Ramirez.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Speaking of painful trades, Freddy Garcia and Jose Guillen for 3 months of utterly dominant Randy Johnson BUT no playoff wins and he left immediately :negative:

Wouldn't that have been Carlos Guillen?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Walrus posted:

using this extremely scientific methodology, the 2008 blue jays might have made the playoffs (in a division title berth) if they were in the AL central and won 4 more games, which they probably would have done.

edit: but maybe not as they beat up on the orioles a lot that year

Wasn't that during the time when the Orioles had their two-headed GM experiment going on? Like, they had both Mike Flanagan and someone else -- Beattie, maybe? -- calling the shots, and both of them hated each other?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Good Dog posted:

The Angels signed Gary Matthews Jr. to a massive contract, and then traded Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells, and then signed Josh Hamilton to a massive contract. This was 3 different GMs doing this poo poo, but likely all ordered by Scioscia/Moreno. The Angels have had to spend their way out of making lovely decisions for the last decade, if they didn't have the money that they do they'd be just as inept as the Pirates.

The way the Angels tried to get out of Hamilton's contract was loving disgusting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, looking him up I'd completely forgotten that Kevin Brown was legitimately really damned good his last year he was with the Dodgers. He was even serviceable his first year with the Yankees.

In my memory he died somewhere around 2000/2001 and was never worth anything the rest of his career.

Kevin Brown signed the first $100 million contract, didn't he?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jimmy Piersall has passed away at 87. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

The problem is less the money itself and more the new CBA. The luxury tax limit now acts as a soft salary cap, both because the luxury tax is extremely punishing, and because exceeded that threshold by $40m or more automatically results in your top draft pick being bumped down 10 spots.

God, Marvin Miller would have taken that proposal, dropped it on the floor and pissed on it right in front of Manfred. Fehr probably would have done the same.

I miss the days of strong MLBPA leadership, instead of that spineless shitlord Michael Weiner, or Tony Clark, who just seems to be incompetent and let the union eat a whole ton of poo poo sandwiches just because he didn't have to concede an international draft.

Niwrad posted:

I think it's a pipedream but the Cubs should have a big local TV contract coming due when Harper hits free agency.

:laffo: if you don't think the RSN bubble will have completely burst by 2020.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Am I reading the Cards / Cubs box score correctly? Hendricks threw 121 pitches in four innings? :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Some Numbers posted:

What's the Ryan Braun story?

Braun got popped in 2011 for elevated levels of testosterone. In February 2012, he challenged the test on a chain of custody issue (the guy who took the sample, instead of immediately shipping it to the testing facility, kept it in a refrigerator in his basement over the weekend before taking it to FedEx), and actually suggested that the sample-taker was an anti-Semite. Ultimately arbitrator Shyam Das upheld Braun's challenge, saying there was enough validity to the appeal that his suspension was to be overturned. MLB was absolutely livid about it, and actually fired Das over the decision.

Anyway, Braun held a press conference after his appeal was upheld, and had the balls to say this:

quote:

“Today is for anyone who has been wrongly accused and everyone who stood up for what’s right. It’s about future players and the game of baseball.”

A year later, his name popped up in connection with Biogenesis, and he wound up being suspended for the last third of the 2013 season plus the playoffs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Wasn't there also something about how the cup had a crack or the bag had a tear or something and he put it in a second bag?

No, it was that the guy put the piss cup in a plastic container when he stored it in the fridge; Braun suggested that could have contaminated the sample even though the seal was unbroken when the testing facility received it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kensei posted:

Uh, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7ocRVI7AI

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

How many guys have won an MVP without making the all star game out of curiosity?

Off the top of my head, Chipper in 1999, Morneau in ... 2006?, and I'm almost positive Kirk Gibson got jobbed from the ASG in 1988.

And I think Juan Gonzalez sat at home in like 1996 because Brady Anderson had that bonkers "no sir, I absolutely am not juicing" season where he hit 50 dingers out of nowhere.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IcePhoenix posted:

This is incredible and I don't care that it's huge, I want people to watch it

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/06/06/1469395883/1496791636535/asset_1800K.mp4

Oh my God, Hawk does his stupid, insufferable call after the replay calls it a home run. Jesus. Retire, you red-faced fat gently caress.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Son of a bitch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

I legitimately wish the entire Cubs starting rotation was on the DL because a cobbled together AA/AAA rotation could not possibly be any worse and at least then we'd have an excuse for our starters being hot garbage.

I'm surprised at this point Maddon hasn't said, "Edwards, you were drafted as a starter, rub some dirt on that arm and give me six innings tonight."

At which point Edwards sighs, quietly puts his glove in his locker, calmly walks out of the stadium and does a flying leap into Flushing Bay.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

538's Neil Paine delivers the ultimate "eh, maybe this is true, maybe it's not," mealy-mouthed, meaningless article about the draft.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Starlin Castro is better...

Castro's rocking a .358 BABIP. You, and I, and every other Cubs fan who watched him for years, we all know that the minute he stops being insanely lucky, he reverts to being a black hole of suck in the lineup.

I mean, c'mon, the guy's drawing a walk at the stratospheric pace of once almost every five games this season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone tell me about the busts the Phillies will draft tonight

This is, what, the third year of Gillick and MacPhail running the front office without interference from Montgomery, right? Those are two of the legitimately best talent evaluators in baseball, I can't imagine they're going to be drafting hobos from the northwoods of Wisconsin or whatever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

For whatever reason, I was under the impression the new CBA put a hard spending limit on draft-pick contracts, so teams wouldn't be handing out megadeals anymore. Or was that only Tony Clark rolling over on a cap for international spends (which, ironically, depresses salaries more than an international draft)?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Nelson Cruz contract was extremely good.

296/368/560 152OPS+ 11.7bWAR through 2.5 years of a 4/57. My goodness.

His WAR value is basically the same it was with 8 years of Texas.

Baltimore basically swapped Cruz for Mark Trumbo.

I wonder how they feel about that right now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Julio Cruz posted:

Also I'd be loving shocked if Schwarber actually is only 235.

He was listed at 225 at Kane County, and that was three years and at least thirty pounds ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pungry posted:

What are they going to rename it to? Safeco Field was such a good name for a ballpark.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

My personal hope is that there's some sort of cool name to replace Safeco and not one of the big 4 of Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon or Boeing getting their naming rights.

Nintendo could always step back in and call it Switch Field. :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The Nats drafted Dusty Baker's kid.

The one who almost got run over at home plate in the 2002 World Series.

:corsair:

They also drafted Jake Boone, Bret's son.

Does that make the Boones the first four-generation family in baseball?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

People from that area get super defensive about people who don't agree with their religion. When I was detasseling corn the idea that fossils were more than 6,000 years old was offensive heresy. Don't even get me started how well my sister's marriage to a Muslim of Pakistani descent went over...

poo poo, that's nothing. I used to live in eastern Iowa. There are still several cross burnings a year in the north end of the city where I lived, after a guy was stabbed a former city council member said "That boy's family can thank the former mayor for inviting those people from Chicago," and a group calling themselves "The Concerned and Proud" or something like that picketed the construction site of the city's first mosque a few years ago. The night after the mosque opened? You guessed it, two dozen crosses in the front, burning. Basically, if you weren't a fourth-generation German or Irish Catholic in that city, you weren't poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IcePhoenix posted:

did he swing at any of them?

Nope. And he had to get out of the way of the called strike 3.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

Who was behind the plate calling balls and strikes though? No one has mentioned this yet.

Greg Gibson, who historically really isn't that bad at calling balls and strikes.

Edit: Although he is pretty quick to run guys.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 19, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Doesn't he have to get his knees replaced every year or some crazy poo poo?

Pujols was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in like 2004 or 2005. That's a degenerative condition, so he winds up having a procedure done on his foot almost every offseason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Speaking of Joe West...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

Can't they just snip the tendon and get rid of the issue entirely?

Poque posted:

:gonk: no no :gonk: no no no no :gonk: NO NO NO NO :gonk: NO NO NO NO NOn :gonk: onwONF ONON OL NO :gonk: NO NO NON O :gonk:

The surgery he had last offseason was actually to release the plantar fascia ligament.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Addison Russell's wife has filed for divorce; additionally, ESPN reports that she is refusing to meet with MLB investigators regarding claims of domestic abuse.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Ugh what the gently caress...

Not you too Addison.

The DV stuff was alleged by a friend of hers on an Instagram post a few weeks ago, not by Melissa Russell herself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Some Numbers posted:

Hot take: pitcher wins and losses are stupid.

They're in the unholy trinity of counting stats, along with RBI and saves.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

If you're fast idk why guys don't try to bunt more often. You're a lot less likely to hit into a double play, you'll move the runner over and like the above example you might even have a better chance of reaching base than you might otherwise have.

Starling Marte tries to bunt for a hit all the goddamn time in The Show 17 whenever the Pirates come up in the schedule and I hate him for it. :argh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

So if she's not cooperating with the MLB investigation, we're incredibly unlikely to get anything more concrete around Russell potentially having beat his wife beyond a deleted instagram comment made by his wife's friend.

Ugh.

Right, the friend is the only person who ever said anything about abuse. His wife said he cheated on her (which, if true, doesn't surprise me in the slightest, and that's just depressing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Cubs calling up Zagunis who's been having a breakout season in AAA. Wonder how much of this is about helping Schwarber and how much off it is showing of Zagunis as a possible trade chip.

I imagine there's a healthy amount of "Well, this guy's 24 years old and still in AAA, might as well see what he's got" in there.

• Locked thread