Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hell yeah, can't wait for the juiciest time of the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wait, I mean time of the year.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

+1 vote for the theme to be STUMPED. Metal Saw: Timber Espionage Action.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, just less than six hours until the theme.
You're much too nice! Thank you for the game, really excited to see this year!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Can't wait for those sweet Chinese Lou-ny Balloon-y ripoffs :getin:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh man, I don't want to play favorites, but if some of these don't work out I'm going to be so bummed. Definitely seems like a bit freer theme this time!
:aaaaa:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Man, some of these are looking nuts. For instance, I thought the FCEUX thing was a joke :psyduck:

I don't know if it'll be useful to anyone, but I recently ran into a neat little interactive demo that explains the A* pathfinding/graph search algorithm and a few other interactive tutorials.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Twitch Plays H̴̨̛̜̹͖̣̝͓̙̮̞̳̖̐̔̓͐͋͑̏͑̈̐̄ộ̸̧̢̢̲̭͖̬̙͚̲̭͑̈́̃̏͒̈̍̂͆͊͝ô̷̧̢̡͚̭͈̱̰̣̝̱̥̊͂͊̈́͌̌̑̚͘͘͝p̸̡̛̯̗͍͉̹̦̙̯̣̫̎͐̀̄̏́̈́͆̚͝ͅ ̷̨̛̯̪͔̬͓͙̩͓͚̳̹̓̓͗̊́́̇̓̐̽͝S̷͖̜̖̼͉͎̳̙̰̬̙͑̅̂̀̅͛̿͆̓̊̚͘p̶͈͉͔̻͈͍̪͙͇̲̲̲͑̄̌̈͒̉̓͗͒̕͝ḧ̷̢̡͖̮̩͓̟̗̬̲̞͕̇̓̊̅̀͊̌́̚͝͝ē̵̛̘͔͎̦͉̝͕̼͈̙̺̉̽̈͆̆́̍͋͜͠͝r̷̨̨͖̦̥̱͇͔̳̼̺̙̊͑͋̇͛̌̿̑̀̈͂͊ḙ̷̢̞͈̱̯̺̜̺̱̈́͐͊̒͊̆͑̓̀̄́̊ͅͅ

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, enough of these awesome screenshots. Give me those pausing deets!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

If you need motivation sounds like the guy that's been doing 100 Games in 5 Years just finished!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

If anyone's morbidly curious, I've put up a real rough demo at https://rozisdead.itch.io/awful-runners
Dead link?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

I hope nobody was terribly excited about playing a lousy, babby's-first-sidescroller knockoff of Sonic the Hedgehog that started with a sonic OC creator that let you modularly control your species, sex, color, favorite food, and personality traits (blademaster, autism, japanese, etc) and then let you go on a very short quest to rescue Sonic, who then declares you the most unique person he's ever met and then you kiss, the end
:negative:

IS LIFE EVEN WORTH LIVING ANYMORE!?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's that time again.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I read the readme but couldn't find any walnuts :( If every jam game is "blank mixed with Goat Simulator" I'd be in goat heaven (which is similar to hog heaven). It does need to be gamier (jumping off fireballs sounds cool, like Mr. Gimmick) but fun idea nonetheless! Also, if there's a gold star somewhere for "Not Hand-Wringing About The Release Date In This The Billionth Jam And Instead Submitting Early" you get it.

Another great Afal game! Mandatory play. And here I thought LasangaCat was going to be the cringiest thing I saw this year. Also, heck yeah, top score:

I don't know much about Batman games but I found the thin veneer of graphic replacement pretty convincing of a bootleg (where usually a main character is replaced and maybe one or two other things. But anything else is glossed over). It wasn't too long or too hard and there were a few fun jumps and things. It did get kind of laggy and the climbing controls were sticky but nothing big! Short and sweet.

A true NES game, I'd love to read a postmortem about this to see how much work went into it! That idea is gutsy and works perfect for the theme. It worked fine on Mesen (very accurate emulator) for me. Actually it reminded me more of a ZX Spectrum or C64 game but whatever. Pretty simple and buggy (as in you can get trapped if you jump over the beginning and go back) but pretty fun in a hardcore way. I recommend it!

Siminu posted:

Bootleg Miners by Mage Hand High Five
Really nostalgic for me, though I think I was more of a Game C type of person. Pretty repetitive and needed some progression (I got to Mine 11 just in case) and of course it suffers because of hardware, but worth a look. Loved the intro and especially the flash effect!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Thriftynauts by The Dapper Spendthrifts
Neat little spaceship game where you collect parts that auto-attach to your own ship. Could have been a little clearer what parts you're getting/needing and maybe a different way to emphasize getting away from the store ship. I made it 14 minutes but I think the junk penalty finally did me in! Pretty amusing to have this horrific mass while it lasted. I knew it sounded familiar, really liked the rambling sounds in "Did I Ever Tell You..?" and they worked well here, too!

More impressions coming soon!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I really liked the idea of this game, or even just a low-key sailing game. I also liked that it took the theme in a more literal example and was part of the other side of what I was expecting (besides bootleg console games, of course). I think I did run into some issues with the game, a lot of it being the UI. I'm not just talking about the controls not being in-game but stuff like having to use the keyboard to shop or no easy way to restart (and when you did the money didn't reset right). It was also really difficult to determine how much headway you were making (especially without camera control and with fog) and I'd seem to get glued to the NE portion for what felt like ever even when trying lateral sailing. I also ended up almost "capsizing" a few times until it actually did glitch where the world tilted and I got stuck in the "ground" (which was actually kind of hilarious). But besides that I did have fun trying to figure things out with the calming sea soundscape and doing the little market speculation I was capable of.

nolen posted:

BOOTLEGS by poot n toot
Oh man, ship it! It really could be one of those neat little Steam party games. There's even a 2-Player Battle Mode in it! I think I loved everything about it, except for some dead drops and generation stuff. I wanted to note that the weird simplistic graphics and odd poppy music work to strong effect, also. Fun time!

TomR posted:

BBA SLAM by Beeconomic Advisors
☑Suffer. Neat audiovisual fest, though I wish the targeting didn't keep messing up and the ball kept becoming ungrabbable in objects. Very accurate pro-hop euro steps but sad posting up. Poor H-O-R-S-E Hoop, thought of cherries and died.

I have no idea what this is so I can't give much about it. I tried to Google it but it just made me feel old. Funny and I wish the controls were smoother but that's fine. Worth a playthrough!

Weird mash of GTA and a stealth game. Didn't quite come together (I'm getting from the post. I'd like to read a postmortem), but a neat idea nonetheless! Definitely a game you could build off of.

A very simple beat 'em up. But, man, that spritework is top notch and the tune is catchy. Another game I'd like to read about the development of! Good opening, too.

More later, etc. etc.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Apologies if I didn't respond to anyone, I'm trying to post without reading much to minimize spoilers! I'll get to it! More coming later.

I love that game console select screen! I do wish there was less focus on programmer logic mini-games (that witch one in particular) and just more satisfying types. I get that being bad is part of the joke but it gets stretched thin! They also didn't really remind me of bootleg console games at all but I'm guessing part of that was because of engine problems. And while it didn't click with me this time as a fan of many of your other games and I'm really glad to see you return yet again!

Wow, looks like a really complete little Factorio clone! I got a bit stuck when I couldn't figure out how to simplify buying into storage crates (trying to deal with a lot of machines using water and coal without having to drag a bunch of items and adding too much overhead) but it was fun getting there! I do wish it was a little easier to store recipes in machines (sometimes they'd disappear and I'd have to look up the almanac) or to get employees to only grab certain items. Really good art and music, too, and I thought the adviser thing was a nice touch. Oh, and nice use of theme, too! Really good job!

Really nice job! Good aesthetics (nice color pallette!) and a neat story really help sell it, as well as the physics :jiggled:-based gameplay fitting well. Maybe not the gamiest game but a great experience. Really good job of making everything feel cohesive. I can see this one getting around!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

b00tl3g kr3w by 10 jams 50 jams a hundred jams
That intro:swoon: I'm tempted to change my background, also. And a neat little experience, too, almost makes me want to drag out an old copy of mIRC (with the black theme, natch). The only downside I have is that while I thought the physics tweaks of the games were cool there wasn't one in particular that I latched onto. Maybe Tetris, but it was over so fast! Speaking of, some of us are getting to the age where b00tl3g kr3w could technically be #JustGrandpaThings. Another recommendation!

Own goals, bad teammates, running out of boost in the pockets. Yep, that's Rocket League! Quick, frantic little game that mixes that and Micro Machines. A bit claustrophobic and kick-offs seemed a bit too crucial, but it definitely got that adrenaline running! Bonus points for having a really nice Progress Log on the jam page already!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I'm four pages behind and who knows how many games! Here's some more impressions:

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Legs by Legged and Dangerous
Trailer is a must see. It's like a mix between Divekick, Smash Bros, and... I don't know... flinging yourself in the air. It's a shame it being multiplayer means it'll be overlooked because I had a lot of fun! Bonus points because I think this is the first multiplayer jam game I played which worked through LAN without a problem! I only got to play it with one other person, but I imagine it would be even more of a blast with three or four other people.

Keeping that in mind, there were some balance tweaks I'd suggest. I seemed to have a lot of luck towering way up/charging over an enemy because it was easier to fall and hit then to try to hit somebody above you and risk plummeting to water (if they ran I'd just wait and aim for the back). I was wondering if maybe a "pit" shield might help with that in someway (or some sort of pit immunity if you're from ground and mostly undamaged). Towards the end we seemed to gravitate towards ground combat partly because it was easier to punish the legs getting caught in the architecture probably (maybe some splash damage?). I was thinking about changes to the reticle (my coop partner complained it was "too small") but maybe even some limited aim assist/UI tells might be okay. Also, with just one other person is seemed really tiring to chase and try to punish errors (the jump becoming more and more limited helped, but not so much that I didn't need to put in a lot of risk and effort, or do perfect ledge guarding).

I asked my co-op partner what changes they wanted most and I got the answer, "It should use two mice." So there you go! Really fun, with a little work I'd imagine this is another game that would fit on the cheapo Steam party game side of things!

Neat little meta-puzzle game! Pretty funny, though I do kind of wish there were some real physics puzzles in it (or some crazier ramping). Loved the rover, though it did get stuck on walls all the time (and I got a respawn infinite boost glitch at the end so I had to play it twice) and some air control would've been nice even it was just turning. I enjoyed the music (maybe a bit repetitive during certain points?) and the art style was clean and very appealing. Oh, and it ran like a glove, which is the expression I typed so I'm using it. I liked it, maybe my favorite Team Punch Fight game (for clarification, I didn't get to play Missing Teeth and I think 6 wasn't submitted?)!

Funny little beat 'em up! The Battletoads hits were great but my favorite touch was the TMNT boss flashes. Also really liked the parallax effect on the sea. A good short and sweet one I'd recommend to goons!

I like the idea of this one, not just the corruption switching mechanic but the parkour part, too. Yeah there's a lot of problems (collision, camera, etc.) but it's a single-programmer mess just like I'd always hoped I'd make someday. Also, I've played plenty of low quality first games where the devs come back and become some of my favorite recurring ones. I hope you'll come back and hopefully you find it easier to find a team (sidenote: a little disappointed in goons in that part, although I think some gave suggestions which is cool) and congrats on dodging that Wall!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

SUPER MEGA 256-IN-1 by SEXY LOCAL TEAM IN YOUR AREA
Another classic in the Super Turbo Voynich Manuscript series. One day I'll stop getting SEXY LOCAL TEAM IN YOUR AREA and Beeconomic Advisors mixed up (for obeeious reasons). The humor is either gonna make you love it or hate it. While it was a bit stretched thin gameplay-wise (and sounds like it was rushed?) I had a lot of fun popping back and forth trying to figure out how to unlock things in other games. A lot of nice direction; who can hate Hogman or Game Ball? (a touch I particularly liked was letting the selecter stay on Happy Bear). Another goon-centric recommendation!

Pretty nice Wild Guns clone. Shoehead once again does a game with really, really nice spritework! I had some difficulty with controls (for whatever reason it wouldn't detect my left stick on the PS4, and with no mouse lock full screen kept the cursor for the mouse) and it felt a bit slow and jerky (the Super Shotgun penalty of slow reloading with no roll seemed a bit much maybe? Perhaps it's gimmick could've been bullet slotting) but small potatoes for a complete-feeling game.

Wazzit posted:

Tamale Drive by Fun Sewer Level
This Cook, Serve, Delicious-like sim/management game has a really nice illustrative look. Feels pretty darn complete! Cute little world and the flow felt good. I do think I would've preferred it more if it was a bit quicker and required some more juggling. That said the fake cop car did get me which was a nice touch. Really does not feel anything close to a first game jam game at all! Nice job!

Neat little space shooter/tower defense with equippable slots that change your weapon behavior. Tense and pretty enjoyable. I got to the last level although I'm unsure if it was really unbeatable or not (I got through the line but couldn't stop bombs and generators). It's great messing around with the different slots and trying out some of the weapons. I wasn't too into the propulsion weapons as they seemed really hard to line up correctly or tell where they were aiming, and it did seem rather hard keeping up while shooting and dealing with blowback. An action-packed game compacted into a quick session, it's not too shabby!

Cute little stealth game. For programmer art and whatnot it was pretty charming! I wasn't too into the stealth mechanic (the time and retries thing kind of discourages searching for patterns/setting a plan and rewards brute forcing for speed) and I think the guards would've benefited from some pathing, but I'm always picky about stealth games. And they're hard to develop! I'm glad you tried one, though, always bonus points for stealth games. And overall I was pretty pleased with how the story and setting felt!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, I missed a ton of meta posts! Next time I'll have to think of a better solution then, er, not reading posts (until I catch up to them). Also, I was gonna try that papercraft thing and post a photo but my printer's DOA, sorry!

Also, here's the last group of impressions if you posted a "here's my game" post in the thread, followed by some posts that are more about the jam. If I missed you then post and I'll prioritize it.

Next I'm going to try to go through the submitted games that weren't posted here, but I'm less likely to promise anything.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Crazy Smuggler by Another Thing Named Colbert
Crazy Taxi-like game about bootlegging. No misuse of the theme there! Immediately I was impressed with how well traffic generation worked and the amount of coverable area. And I liked the doofy car and atmosphere.

But I do think there were some significant mechanical and gameplay issues. For instance, cops were way too deadly and would often PIT me into an object where I couldn't move. The arrows and minimap was nice, but kind of useless without a distance indicator (no planning there!). The time limit seemed very strict (even more so factoring in how repairing worked) but also somehow 5 minutes seemed to produce a lot of uninteresting distance driving. There also seemed to be cleanup problems, as in later rounds any place with traffic was deadlocked and lampposts didn't despawn making many those areas essentially deathtraps. Oh, and similarly restarting didn't seem to work correctly at all (quitting out was the way to go). Finally, some object collision problems made bumps and curbs unreliable, sometimes flinging you and sometimes even when not it would take an extreme amount of health for barely anything.

But besides the negatives, it was one of those games where it just starts and you're like, "Oh, I get it!" with a smile on your face. Also, this is one of those teams that come back again and again (sure, sometimes with different people, but that's a part of team building) and seem to get mechanically and technically better every single time, so I think it's just a matter of time before they produce something downright great.

Oof, lots of significant problems with this one. I'll give it that it's weird, though! But everything from how inconsistent the character and enemies act to some big problems with acceleration and how jumping works (sometimes bad skidding that carries over into the next jump, other times a dead stop and an immediate jump right after) make it rather painful. I think I probably got to the end (where you need almost every single green bottle) but the game literally crashed my browser once I found a way to not just jump out of the goal. Actually I kind of dig the idea of a weird little chase game (like PAC-MAN meets a 3D platformer but more deterministic than the average one) and I definitely was a boot so theme appropriate. And weird! I love these weird games so keep submitting.

Narrative game made in RPG Maker. It seemed pretty hard to focus on and had some programmer's logic parts. Oh, I think the map clue probably should've been in a menu somewhere, and revisiting actually was kind of detrimental because I was unsure if the areas ever changed (and they didn't). There was a pretty neat metagame component but even mentioning that is spoilery. I never got the patreon loading screen, though Google found it but both of those were nice touches! It's a shame it had development problems (good postmortem!) because the couple interesting things are pretty good.

dupersaurus posted:

The the capsizing happen near colliders?
Actually, in the open sea. It doesn't seem to play with extreme motion changes well!

Praseodymi posted:

Not just the judges though. Flick through the reviews in the last few pages of the thread, it does seem like everyone plays the same few games to the detriment of the others. I'm pretty sure there are some games that will get no feedback outside of the gong show.
I don't know if you were including me, but this year I mixed it up and am going through them in order of who submitted first via the forums, and then will likely go through the submitted ones (winners prioritized) unless I run out of time or burn out. Other jams I'd take the last submitted games since I'd last checked and throw them into random.org, but I kind of always hated that and wanted to reward not just submitting on time/early and doing so excitedly but also for posting in the forum. Because as much as I understand the sort of separation of Awful Jams from SA I'm still a goon that likes these little forum events and enjoys lots of forum posts over the other stuff (Twitter and Discord and video game journalism and okay, yes, popularity and whatnot).

There's also the time thing. Most people don't want to go through probably anything more than a game or two! I'm lucky in that way not just the least because I love reading about the development side, and events, and just messing around in games in general. If only I was a better reviewer! So even those that are receptive to it will usually wait to get the really highly recommended ones if they're not already just coming over because of Twitter friends or a game website. They just don't have the time for it really. That's not really even unique to this jam! I'd be thrilled if there was a way to kind of extended the splash range and discussion and whatnot, but I've never really been able to think of a way for it. Same with that it'd be great to attract more of the goon game developers (both ones that constantly post in the development threads and outright professionals. Not a single one on Twitter I follow mentioned it!).

This is awesome! Same with all the contest stuff!

ALFbrot posted:

slapdick diaper ninnies
Please don't doxx me.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Awesome, maybe now I can see how I was supposed to automate in SimShine! I'm guessing nobody else was micromanaging Storage like I was. Also last night's (two night's ago? The Punch Fight 7 one) was really good, too. Loved when whoever was playing got stuck in that little storage area. I'm glad to hear it got some love outside of Awful Jams!

Neat little unassuming football play simulator! Pretty fun, actually, just needs some QoL stuff like redos, and maybe a few more levels! Really nice job with the hints although maybe make them pop (at least the first time). I don't get the theme connection but it really was a fun ten minutes or so (and one that was really easy to slip into). Also, just saw that you added some of the mechanics and levels post-Gong to it which is awesome!

Giggs posted:

My post-mortem is up! I detail a bunch of poo poo (mainly the process) but also how I made the intro logo animations some people seemed to like. Also the music and stuff. It's 4400 words long. I don't expect anyone to read it, but if you want to know almost anything about the game, take a look!
Another super in-depth post-mortem from Giggs! Great concept art there, so clean! I also didn't realize at the time you did the music and that so much went behind it. I, um, didn't actually know what a SoundFont was!

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Thank's for playing through our game and leaving feedback.
Thanks for making the game! I've become better at realizing how little time a month is for most games but sometimes it just doesn't come to me.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Here's the last of my game impressions, covering ones that weren't announced as finished in this thread (or maybe were and I somehow missed them) thrown into random.org. Thanks again to all submitter for a really great jam this year! So many solid games!

Overreach by Team Phlargenarffen
Kind of like Smash Bros if everyone was Dhalsim. I unfortunately couldn't play this one with anybody (if I knew beforehand I could've but I must have missed that when I checked, and unfortunately The Gong Show didn't do multiplayer either so I couldn't see it), but it seems the key is to use positioning for range fishing and abuse the counter. It seemed a bit janky at times with the shield not triggering when it was supposed to, which kind of led into a bit of button mashing, and objects had a few bugs (bad spawns or making the jumps pretty useless). Actually, it's pretty great it has any AI in it at all. Also, It does look like an arena brawler pretty strikingly which is cool that that much polish went into it!

Red Planet IV by Missing Sentinel Software
A Game Boy-esque shmup that's just a blast to play! And in PICO-8 nonetheless! The only thing I can fault it on is the theme, unless I squint hard. Also maybe that bullets blend in a bit too much on one of the levels. A must play!

I beat !Easy Mode!

JUICE by ok hand emoji
This is an odd one. It seemed to be more of a showcase of various graphical effects (in HTML5?) rather than an actual game. And it almost felt like something you'd see in Newgrounds ten years or so ago. I tried it on three computers and every single one barely crawled. I think I got pretty far but there's no checkpoints so all it took was a bad attack pattern and that was it.

Booze Blues by The Janky Crew
Infinite runner with a 1920s rubber hose-esque animation style (like the earliest Merry Melodys). The graphics and the music work to good effect! A nitpick but I wish there was a different font as it was hard to read and similarly a lot of the objects didn't quite pop enough from the background. Some level sections were done rather well but others didn't seem to have much of a rhythm to them. I seemed to have an issue determining hitboxes which probably didn't help. A quick, pretty game that hits the theme well, though!

The Booze Barn by Some Brothers Studios
Alcohol bootlegging mini-games with a little bit of perk-buying attached to it. I was confused at first because there's no controls until you enter it but it seemed fairly generous. I liked the archery-style disinfectant one and thankfully the bug one didn't seem to lower it much (it was probably the most exciting although probably the most prone to RNG). Not bad for the Brothers' first foray into 3D!

Headphone Hero by ChikinWings
This fun Run and Gun platformer really hits the bootleg console game angle well! Not just the graphics, which strongly invoke a knock-off feel of malformed proprietary characters and brute-forced animation, but even the way the gameplay kind of feels like an off-kilter or off-engine mash-up (maybe this fictional shady developer wanted to do Mega Man but only had access to Pulseman). I do wish it was a little more user friendly (a lot of off-screen hits) and more complete feeling (though credits boss was a funny touch) but it really is an easy recommendation.

Afal posted:

uh... hm... it looks like only one person has submitted for the "guess the judges picks"... I guess Tann is the winner of Glittermitten Grove. All of the predictions might be totally wrong but who cares?
I had it in my notes as "!!!DO TODAY!!!" but I :effort: on using Google Accounts. Next time I'll have to mark it as "!!!!~DO TODAY~!!!!" so I really remember.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh wow, almost missed it! Thought it was tomorrow for some reason.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The most important part of the Jam is jam-ming all these sweet video games into your occipital lobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Congrats everyone! Now time for me to read the Judgements and whatever post-mortems I missed. Oh, and whoever does Octojams I hope you'll consider posting it in Games or something so I don't almost miss it again!

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

I want to highlight the history of users more, and make teams more betterer and more obvious, and especially highlight postmortems and allow for people to post reviews on the site rather than everything going in the thread.
:krad:

• Locked thread