Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Just for fun, I went back to the Discussion thread that was open June 12, 2016

That day I posted that Lawler said the draft/brand split were coming back

The only two people anyone (in that and the following thread) was specifically excited to see where they wound up? Finn and Bayley

One year later:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784297&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post462449066

11 months.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I depressed myself by going back to this. I miss how good WWE was around this time. :smith:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Asking genuinely, has there ever been a case of a roster this talented being wasted this badly?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yep.

I will say I liked the Joe/Brock thing and Ambrose/Miz. And the NBA has created something/someone I hate more than Brock so there's that!

Whether you love him or hate him, you've gotta respect The Big Dogrant, Foochs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I will give Raw credit for one thing tonight.

They teased Heath Slater going after Miz.

Heath Slater wins the IC Title at SummerSlam. Come on. COME ON.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The only thing from Ohio it's okay to be a fan of is Dean Ambrose. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Not even Bray has ever gotten his credibility destroyed quite that brutally. What they did to Bayley was totally intentional, not some "eh, she can survive it" shtick.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Triple H rumored to be frustrated with handling of NXT stars

Come on, Cerebral Assassin, time for a hostile takeover! Claim your loving birthright already! :black101:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'll stop counting on HHH to make a better wrestling show than Vince when he stops making a better wrestling show than Vince.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DoctorGonzo posted:

Cm Punk feud, Seth Rollins feud, Brock Lesnar feud, Sting feud, etc

If the main event was HHH vanity booking and the rest of the show was like NXT, that'd be a 1000% jump in quality.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

1-2.5 hours of weekly content =/ around 7-10+. When he gets those reins he wants so bad, he won't be able to (and his ego won't allow him to) delegate, and I'm nowhere near naive enough to think that significant an amount of added stress won't show pretty drat quick

He'll have no problem delegating.

He can do some work, The Game can do some work, The Cerebral Assassin can do some, the Asskicker can do some, etc.

It's a crack team. Company's in great hands.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bayley to Belly works by Bayley interlocking her own hug with the power of her opponent's hug to create a double hug mobius loop. Its power is theoretically infinite. If she hugged Brock Lesnar, she'd probably put him through the surface of the earth.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dear lord, I looked up his promo today on youtube. Jinder just has no presence at all on the mic. He has some good expressions, I guess, but his delivery is still just awful.

Also, is it just me or does it really seem like they're pumping in USA chants for his Punjabi promos?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"I think a lot of that please retire stuff was the fans just really sick of how they were using me on TV. [...] Our fans are pretty smart and pretty intelligent about what's going on. [...] It's not that they don't like the person, they just don't like being done."

Big Show gets us. :unsmith:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jinder's a draw, folks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kawalimus posted:

That's why I don't care or feel bad about stuff like Rey Mysterio getting booed when he came out instead of Daniel Bryan. It's the wrestling business and they're professionals. They understand this crap. It shoulda been Bad News Barrett.

You're absolutely right. Daniel Bryan vs. Bad News Barrett for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship is what the world needed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Lmao this owns.

Gets better.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-mitb-not-sold-out-yet/

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Some poor middle management shmuck has to find a way to go "but YouTube!" to explain why this is actually fine.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Props to Naomi for the sell, there. Jesus.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

And even the bit on the back isn't too stupid. gently caress, I think I gotta get this. Soon, my Day One will be H!

Eli Wiggum posted:

The only match I'm looking forward to is Joe/Brock at GBoF, otherwise I'm basically blowing off WWE programming for the rest of the year*

* - subject to change

Dave seems to think things will get better for SummerSlam. If SummerSlam is a let down, I'm probably out until the next Takeover, which'd be Survivor Series.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tweak posted:

the looming WM card just casts a shadow on everything really

Not to mention that we're probably getting an extremely long Roman title reign coming out of it.

The only reason last summer was actually interesting was because Roman pissing hot cut his title reign short.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It was a handicap match, Roman vs Jericho and KO.

Jericho gave Roman a codebreaker, then Owens gave him a Power Bomb on the apron, then Jericho gave him another Codebreaker for the pin.

In case you're wondering, Roman didn't give a poo poo and basically never brought up the US title again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rhonne posted:

Let's go Fooches!

FOOCHES SUCKS!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Usos vs. New Day should be really good, although it'll probably end inconclusively.

cauliflower jones posted:

When Enzo and Cass came up from NXT, did anyone expect them to be better than they've ended up?

They legitimately felt like stars during the Cena/Club feud.

Like, was there anybody who wasn't loving in love with Enzo's promos during those few weeks?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean maybe they were sitting quietly because it was really enthralling stuff and they were paying attention, but what do I know, I'm just some dumb mark who's not In The Business. :shrug:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They should just have both Survivor Series and MitB be big shows. Do something about that huge nothing gap between Mania and SummerSlam.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/876581776746987520

Usos are Good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm just gonna get this out of the way:

Corbin is good and him having the briefcase is fine. The concept suits him and he's gotten WAY better the last year.

But.

Goddamn.

Styles and Nakamura were RIGHT there. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Strawberry Panda posted:

I just wish the ending was more interesting. They literally did the heel knocks over a face on the ladder and grabs the case after in the women's MitB match.

Yeah once both Nakamura and Styles were on the ladder, you knew exactly how it was ending.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Also, btw, if you think this is even the worst PPV this year lemme just gently point you towards fuckin' Payback.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spiffster posted:

Extreme rules would like a lovely word

This one was fine but I was really hoping for Flair and Nakamura to win but on the whole it was solid

Agreed, Ric Flair should've run in on the Randy Orton and Mahal match and pinned both.

"COME FOR MY RECORD, JOHN BOY?! gently caress YOU! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Their pointless tag match was segregated to the preshow, their opening match was better and didn't have a dumb finish, and the fan favorite (Braun) won their main event. Better than December to Dismember, and better than its runnerup the 2017 MITB

I'd counter that the bad parts of Payback are worse than the bad parts of this. But even then I can also just extend the net out a few months to find three PPVs worse than this in Clash of Champions, Hell in a Cell and Roadblock.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/RusevBUL/status/876631910956634112

I knew Rusev was my favorite for a reason.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So hey, here's my question.

When's the last time we had a well-liked strong babyface champion have a solid reign where they fended off multiple competitors and they just made themselves and the title look really good and strong and it was cool and everybody liked it?

Don't say AJ, because they treated him as a heel at the time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RealFoxy posted:

Does Cena's US Title run count

Yyyyyyyyyyes.

New Day is in there for the time between them turning face and them getting stale too, I guess?

Chris James 2 posted:

Punk in 2011 pre-turn

*counts WWE champs since Punk*

Jesus Christ.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mulaney Power Move posted:

if this all somehow culminates in corbin giving an end of days to rob gronkowski, or any other new england patriot, i am all for it

:flag:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

What are the legit best WWE matches of the year?

Cena/Styles at Rumble
Bate/Dunne at NXT Chicago

Those are the only ones I'd seriously consider for a worldwide Top 10 list. Has anything else in WWE even come close to that?

Elimination Chamber
Revival/DIY/AoP
MAYBE Owens/Roman at the Rumble...?

God, last year was so loving good for WWE in the ring and this year so has not been.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

dromal phrenia posted:

I really can't imagine Miz climbing the ladder, getting the briefcase and handing it to Maryse.

I can totally imagine him interfering, getting beat down and/or chased by all the other women while Maryse grabs the briefcase herself though.

...actually that would have also been fine for tonight's match :thunk:

Three or four girls taking turns chopping the poo poo out of the Miz while Maryse climbs the ladder in the background. Later, they were quoted as being unable to stop her because beating up Miz is just too much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Under the vegetable posted:

he deserves the belt a hell of a lot more than randy does.

Honestly this one is a toss-up. I can't loving stand either of them but Randy has a cool finisher, cool music and a couple cool moves so if you prefer him, whatever. Randy is also boring as gently caress in everything outside of those things and seems like a generally pretty awful person whereas Jinder seems like a pretty decent guy who accidentally stiffed Balor and is yes, probably on all of the roids, ever.

So, like, they both suck, but whichever one you think sucks more, that is probably a valid opinion.

HerraS posted:

The Maharaja is a better champion than Ambrose ever was

NOPE!

Benne posted:

Jinder sucks no matter how much y'all ironic shitposting pretends he doesn't suck. I stand with Foochs.

Smackdown went to hell the moment they took the belt off AJ.

Cena putting Bray over owned and I will hear nothing to the contrary. There was a really great opportunity to do a double turn with Bray and Randy and scale back some of Bray's spooky poo poo, and they hosed both opportunities then deeply gashed their WM match's time. That's where things got hosed.

dromal phrenia posted:

last night's tag title botch reminded me of roman's reverse-tombstone botch, and that reminded me that they should make everyone work out with Cesaro

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of that.

I guess Big E was the Big Dog all along. :colbert:

• Locked thread