Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

OH GOD drat IT AM I GOING TO HAVE TO WATCH THIS SHOW TOO?

Bad enough that I got devoured by Steven Universe, now this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Now that we've got that out of the way,

NEW INTRO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYLq7WASC4

Can we all agree that's Eclipsa frozen in the crystal, there?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The previews are definitely making my hopes of a Marco-light season seem less likely.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

I mean he is the deuteragonist, it would be weird if he didn't show up much.

There just doesn't seem to be much to him, though. Narratively, Marco functions as a big bag of reaction gifs. You could make a better case for Ludo as second protagonist.

From having just binged the whole show (minus a couple of season 1's I missed somehow, have to fix that) there are twin rails that this show runs on, and they are the voice performances of Eden Sher and Alan Tudyk. It's not that Adam McArthur's work as Marco isn't perfectly competent, it's just that it seems by comparison... like an ordinary cartoon character.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are two of them conjoined?

We're spoilering previews?

I thought it was two tadpoles in one egg, but apparently they're conjoined

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Since DXD has elected not to show the Battle for Mewni episodes in order, I guess I'm waiting on a streaming service eventually getting around to it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Every scene not featuring Eclipsa feels like treading water.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eclipsa's going to turn out to be the heavy because Star went to bat for her immediately.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I already want to see more of Higgs and her unfortunate situation.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

"What is this, some sort of sword-hand-dance? This looks fun."

Eclipsa continues to steal the show.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

She pretty much skates everywhere. That was established before.

She has a brand to maintain, after all.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's almost impressive how Eclipsa manages to steal every goddamn scene she's in.

Av sized versions:

It's the voice.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's fairly clear at this point that Marco only hung out with Kelly so he would have an excuse not to hang out with Star when Tom's around.

They're both rebound relationships. I think we haven't seen the last of Tad, either.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'd like to suppose that the next season will be a nuanced take on Star helping Eclipsa reform Mewni, but the series isn't titled Star vs. the Forces of Entrenched Culture.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I wouldn't mind them dropping a lot of the Earth stuff as long as Janna sticks around somehow. Season 3 had to handwave her into episodes a few times to get her to appear so I'd like if maybe there was a more stable way for the Earth characters to visit or if she pulls a Marco and just goes adventuring.

Also I think Ludo's 'problem' is that he swings wildly between childish and unfunnily pathetic and genuinely unsettling and competent a lot. I don't really know if I like him too much as a character but I do want more of him.

As long as we get more of Ludo as Heath Ledger's Joker, I can put up with a lot.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's good to hear that Janna still exists.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's easy to dismiss the idea of a hereditary monarchy when the inheritance doesn't provide magic powers that keep the state viable.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pakled posted:

Except Festivia and her descendants prove that magic powers exist outside of the Butterfly line.

But not everywhere, or Mewni would be hip-deep in them. Wouldn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do get the impression that if the High Magical commission continues to be a thing (it's basically down to two members now and has been shown to be a lovely institution even if some of the individuals are well-meaning) then Star is a shoo-in for joining it, given she's probably the most powerful general magic user on Mewni now.

I really can't see how this goes any other way.