Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I hear what people are saying about cryptocurrency possibly amounting to nothing eventually, and personally I'll keep an open mind about that.

But there's surely a case for Monero, isn't there? It's got me increasingly interested to the point of shelling out my own money.

There's a real market for that stuff, which obviously includes money laundering and darkmarket usage.

Whether you agree with drug markets or not, it seems that unless there's an underlying weakness with the Mondeo protocol then that poo poo is gonna thrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

poo poo. Looks like I'll be eating a lot of burritos then.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

The point of all cryptocurrencies is to sell them for more than you bought them. That's it.

Haha!

QuarkJets posted:

Also woo another 25M tether just springing up out of nowhere, to the moooooooon

Where are you looking in order to find spikes in Tether? Just on Coinmarketcap?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I wasn't dreaming of buying any Tether. I just want to see the spike in Tether volume correlating to BTC.

Coinmarketcap is mostly green again, so it would appear the 25M has mini-pumped the market.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

Yup, you're watching it happen in real time. The guys at bitfinex decided that they want to buy more bitcoins but don't want to actually pay for them, so here we are

Holy poo poo. Since BTC is being considered as an actual currency (in China, I think) this is actual fraud on a large scale. Is it the Tether ecosystem that will collapse first or the exchange?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

1. Lol, no it isn't.

I've obviously been on Reddit too much. My bullshit filter has worn thin.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Themage posted:

Buttcoin and security don’t belong in the same page

I've been a casual holder of Bitcoin since about 2014. Not a lot of money, but never had a wallet hacked. I've used electrum for PC (Windows and Linux) and various Android wallets. Would you care to elaborate how easy it is to get your wallet hacked?

I once had my PayPal hacked a couple of years ago, via eBay keeping the PayPal account unlocked after I'd bought something. I got the money back after assuring eBay/PayPal that I never bought those $150 shoes and that I'd never heard of the address they'd been delivered to.

Never lost a single Satoshi when it comes to Bitcoin, though.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Boris Galerkin posted:

I keep my wallet in a USB key in my literal butt. So if they’re gonna get it they gotta literally hack my butt.

You wish.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

yeah the usb key that everyone keeps in their butt is only for really important things

Cool story.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Stanley Pain posted:

This is a very dumb statement.

Plus ça change, for this thread.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I'll post on here when my wallet gets hacked.

e: gently caress! It's empty!

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Themage posted:

I know I shoulda realized this due to you posting in this thread but man, you are a dumb fucker.

Consider for a moment that a major eth wallet(parity) was just hacked and everyone’s Monopoly money was deleted. Or the numerous buttcoin wallets/apps that have been hacked over the years.

Why do you think this isn’t going to happen to you?

Love you bro.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Storing your seed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0itq1dAJ41I

The method is debunked in an early comment, but an entertaining video nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Boot from a Linux live CD and use curl or wget on the command line with the URL?

It depends on how the webpage handles its download link.

If it's a direct URL to the zip file or whatever then wget will grab it for you.

Then copy it to a second USB stick because the live CD will lose it when you reboot.

• Locked thread