Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

tehinternet posted:

More fake money that may or may not be backed by real money

Spoiler alert: it isn't

I figured, but what's the gimmick ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Nerds are bad at math. Which is the gimmick for all crypto currency.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The people who run/operate Tether claim that each Tether is backed by $1 USD, so you can hypothetically redeem tether for cash at any time. Some exchanges quote the price of Bitcoin in Tethers (USDT) instead of US Dollars (USD) because they're supposed to be equivalent.

In practice there's no proof that the backing exists at all. When people question the existence of these audits or ask what group even conducts the audits, the response is always "we would never dodge our auditing responsibilities! We could never stay in business if we maintained a fractional reserve!" without actually answering the questions. USDT just seem to show up out of nowhere and no auditing actually occurs.

Further, the Tether legal page makes it very clear that the corporation "backing" USDT with real dollars is under no obligation to honor that backing.

So Tether is essentially a way to buy bitcoins with counterfeit money. Bitcoiners naively assume that the USDT they're receiving is the same as USD. This pumps the Bitcoin price. Such a scheme is unsustainable because those additional dollars only exist on paper, but the price of bitcoin should rise in the meantime.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ahahahaha

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Yea the Tether situation is super sketchy. Nevertheless BUY BUY BUY

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The bubble is almost comically large now; at what point do you bail? I mean I've only got burrito tier money in there, but I wanna maximize my burrito purchasing power.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I hear what people are saying about cryptocurrency possibly amounting to nothing eventually, and personally I'll keep an open mind about that.

But there's surely a case for Monero, isn't there? It's got me increasingly interested to the point of shelling out my own money.

There's a real market for that stuff, which obviously includes money laundering and darkmarket usage.

Whether you agree with drug markets or not, it seems that unless there's an underlying weakness with the Mondeo protocol then that poo poo is gonna thrive.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

apropos man posted:

I hear what people are saying about cryptocurrency possibly amounting to nothing eventually, and personally I'll keep an open mind about that.

But there's surely a case for Monero, isn't there? It's got me increasingly interested to the point of shelling out my own money.

There's a real market for that stuff, which obviously includes money laundering and darkmarket usage.

Whether you agree with drug markets or not, it seems that unless there's an underlying weakness with the Mondeo protocol then that poo poo is gonna thrive.

Yes, the weakness is governments saying "yeah this poo poo's really shady, stop using it and if you deposit money from a monero account to your regular bank account we're gonna look real hard at you"

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

poo poo. Looks like I'll be eating a lot of burritos then.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tehinternet posted:

The bubble is almost comically large now; at what point do you bail? I mean I've only got burrito tier money in there, but I wanna maximize my burrito purchasing power.

You should sell right before everyone else does.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

apropos man posted:

The point of all cryptocurrencies is to sell them for more than you bought them. That's it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also woo another 25M tether just springing up out of nowhere, to the moooooooon

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

The point of all cryptocurrencies is to sell them for more than you bought them. That's it.

Haha!

QuarkJets posted:

Also woo another 25M tether just springing up out of nowhere, to the moooooooon

Where are you looking in order to find spikes in Tether? Just on Coinmarketcap?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
seriously though stay away from tether, it is the most transparently obvious scam in the universe

like, at least find a coin that's interesting and maybe has some use potential and buy into that if you want to waste your money.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ you're absolutely right that tether is a scam but tether is pumping the prices of all of the cryptocurrencies, the whole thing is a house of cards

apropos man posted:

Haha!

Where are you looking in order to find spikes in Tether? Just on Coinmarketcap?

divabot posted this link in the amber thread: http://omnichest.info/lookupadd.aspx?address=3MbYQMMmSkC3AgWkj9FMo5LsPTW1zBTwXL

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I wasn't dreaming of buying any Tether. I just want to see the spike in Tether volume correlating to BTC.

Coinmarketcap is mostly green again, so it would appear the 25M has mini-pumped the market.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

apropos man posted:

I wasn't dreaming of buying any Tether. I just want to see the spike in Tether volume correlating to BTC.

Coinmarketcap is mostly green again, so it would appear the 25M has mini-pumped the market.

Yup, you're watching it happen in real time. The guys at bitfinex decided that they want to buy more bitcoins but don't want to actually pay for them, so here we are

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

Yup, you're watching it happen in real time. The guys at bitfinex decided that they want to buy more bitcoins but don't want to actually pay for them, so here we are

Holy poo poo. Since BTC is being considered as an actual currency (in China, I think) this is actual fraud on a large scale. Is it the Tether ecosystem that will collapse first or the exchange?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

apropos man posted:

Holy poo poo. Since BTC is being considered as an actual currency (in China, I think) this is actual fraud on a large scale. Is it the Tether ecosystem that will collapse first or the exchange?

1. Lol, no it isn't.
2. Tether is going to be shut down by the feds and people are going to jail. It's literally Liberty Reserve 2.0. They'll probably get away with it for a while since the Trump administration is a loving clown car, but as soon as someone pays even a tiny bit of attention to it there will be drama.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

1. Lol, no it isn't.

I've obviously been on Reddit too much. My bullshit filter has worn thin.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Years ago on some bitcoin forum or other, a guy called Pirateat40 ran a huge ponzi scheme. At the time he had accumulated almost 7% of all bitcoins in circulation; big enough to attract major attention. This earned him a wire fraud conviction and an 18 month prison sentence.

On the forum where he was reeling in his fish there was another person staunchly defending Pirate, having bought into his scam, and also running their own similar scheme. This person, Raphael Nicolle, is the founder of Bitfinix. :)

Spatial fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 3, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

quote != edit

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Spatial posted:

On the forum where he was reeling in his fish there was another person staunchly defending Pirate, having bought into his scam, and also running their own similar scheme. This person, Raphael Nicolle, is the founder of Bitfinix. :)

Funny how they got "hacked" last year and "lost" 120,000 btc. Funny old world.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, and they gave all of their customers a ~30% haircut. Eventually they redeemed all of those haircut tokens, "redeeming" the lost funds. But can anyone guess how that redemption took place?

They gave everyone Tether at a 1:1 USD:USDT rate. Remember, Bitfinex can generate new Tether whenever they want, and Tether aren't actually backed by anything,
so they exchanged all of the IOUs for what is basically monopoly money

Anyone who's holding cryptocurrency right now is playing with fire, pure and simple. By all means, keep exchanging electricity for burritos if you don't mind contributing to money laundering and other shady poo poo, but if you're actually holding anything then good luck to you

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 3, 2017

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Spatial posted:

Years ago on some bitcoin forum or other, a guy called Pirateat40 ran a huge ponzi scheme. At the time he had accumulated almost 7% of all bitcoins in circulation; big enough to attract major attention. This earned him a wire fraud conviction and an 18 month prison sentence.

:staredog: :shittypop:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Spatial posted:

Bitcoinisascam.txt

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

Anyone who's holding cryptocurrency right now is playing with fire, pure and simple. By all means, keep exchanging electricity for burritos if you don't mind contributing to money laundering and other shady poo poo, but if you're actually holding anything then good luck to you

I have seen this type of statement over and over and over again for years mostly here on SA. I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, but the house has not come crashing down - in fact it just keeps getting larger and overcoming issues and the amount of people interested in it is growing rapidly to the point where professional trading industries and indeed, world level governments, are now involved.

If it fails, it's going to be spectacular, but for individuals that just want to make a few bucks mining or casually buying some coin with disposable income, I'd say go for it. Don't consider it a retirement investment but don't be scared of it either.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Numinous posted:

I have seen this type of statement over and over and over again for years mostly here on SA. I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, but the house has not come crashing down - in fact it just keeps getting larger and overcoming issues and the amount of people interested in it is growing rapidly to the point where professional trading industries and indeed, world level governments, are now involved.

If it fails, it's going to be spectacular, but for individuals that just want to make a few bucks mining or casually buying some coin with disposable income, I'd say go for it. Don't consider it a retirement investment but don't be scared of it either.

On the contrary, many predicted a big crash during the explosive growth in 2013, and then lo and behold the price crashed in 2014. And most of the same events are taking place; a big exchange loses a ton of bitcoins and eventually shuts down cash withdrawals (BitFinex vs MtGox), rampant price manipulation (the Tether Crisis and evidence of cross-exchange tape painting vs the Willy and Markus bots), and huge events that would normally crater a market seemingly having no impact (the closing of BTC-e, numerous SEC actions, and the splitting of BTC into BTC and BCC vs the closing of Silk Road and the closing of various huge scams, including the infamous Pirate Ponzi). But the price amplifiers are way bigger this time. Unlike MtGox, BitFinex was able to redeem their stolen bitcoins by convincing their customers to accept a bunch of worthless tether instead. And Bitfinex offers insane amounts of leverage for margin trading, which is not something you could do back in the MtGox days. Tons of bitcoiners are way over-leveraged, tons of money in the ecosystem simply doesn't exist, and the price graph now looks exactly like it did in 2013. The signs are all there, so now we're just waiting for the hammer to drop.

When you're inside the bubble, there will always be people claiming that the bubble is the new normal and that the growth is both sustainable and perpetual. But reality will eventually reassert itself. There's no question that a crash is coming, we just don't know when.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

On the contrary, many predicted a big crash during the explosive growth in 2013, and then lo and behold the price crashed in 2014. And most of the same events are taking place; a big exchange loses a ton of bitcoins and eventually shuts down cash withdrawals (BitFinex vs MtGox), rampant price manipulation (the Tether Crisis and evidence of cross-exchange tape painting vs the Willy and Markus bots), and huge events that would normally crater a market seemingly having no impact (the closing of BTC-e, numerous SEC actions, and the splitting of BTC into BTC and BCC vs the closing of Silk Road and the closing of various huge scams, including the infamous Pirate Ponzi). But the price amplifiers are way bigger this time. Unlike MtGox, BitFinex was able to redeem their stolen bitcoins by convincing their customers to accept a bunch of worthless tether instead. And Bitfinex offers insane amounts of leverage for margin trading, which is not something you could do back in the MtGox days. Tons of bitcoiners are way over-leveraged, tons of money in the ecosystem simply doesn't exist, and the price graph now looks exactly like it did in 2013. The signs are all there, so now we're just waiting for the hammer to drop.

When you're inside the bubble, there will always be people claiming that the bubble is the new normal and that the growth is both sustainable and perpetual. But reality will eventually reassert itself. There's no question that a crash is coming, we just don't know when.

Well, thankfully everyone has learned from these past mistakes, so things are gonna be A-OK! Please buy more bitchcoins

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm gonna buy a 3rd party 1180 on day one to mine with v0v

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
To be fair, the magical nonsense moon coin is worth over $4500 right now. But at any rate nobody that I've seen in this thread is going to get murdered by loan sharks for their warehouses of gpus when it does finally crash either so ... up up up, make my pennies worth 2 or even 3 pennies Bitcoin God

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Even better there were a number of people offering "insurance" to people worried that the Pirateat40 ponzi was actually a ponzi and would collapse. When the ponzi actually did collapse it turned out hat those offering insurance were so sure that it wasn't a scam that they had "invested" the insurance payments into the Pirateat40 ponzi and all the money was gone.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'm gonna buy a 3rd party 1180 on day one to mine with v0v

Same, gonna sell my 1070 maybe around Christmas time then get by on my 770 until Volta (which should be free assuming it's $700 at launch after that 1070 money and my ~~phat crypto~~ is sold and factored in)

I fuckin love this crypto poo poo. Free video cards and free burritos.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
So i started mining some butts on my new rig, and decided to turn on the CPU miner (rig an R5 1600 + GTX 1080). Turns out whatever CryptoNight is is earning an extra ~75 cents a day (cpu at 3.4 GHz) on top of the 2 ish dollars per day of the (factory OC stock clocked) 1080, with the power target at stock.

Looked at HWMonitor and it's telling my the CPU is suckin down 55 watts under this load while the GPU is (presumably, just have a power target percentage readout) drawing its 180 watts.

75/55= ~1.36 cents per watt
200/180 = ~1.1 cents per watt

My CPU is more efficient at buttmining! What is going on here? Is it just something to do with whatever different altcoin its mining is just really up in value or what?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
your cpu very well could be more efficient but it doesnt scale up like a gpu. You cant just add 4 more CPUs to the rig like you can GPUs

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

inkwell posted:

Is it just something to do with whatever different altcoin its mining is just really up in value or what?

it's always this and only this.

monero shot way up in value. that's why your cpu is making money.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Yeah CPU mining went up 2.5 times very suddenly. I expect it to go down just as suddenly. Although 75 cents is nuts, must be the ryzen

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah CPU mining went up 2.5 times very suddenly. I expect it to go down just as suddenly. Although 75 cents is nuts, must be the ryzen

It is an extremely nice little processor, going from a c2q to this was somewhat mindblowing. Anywho. its still gonna be a couple weeks before i can cash out and buy some burritos/steam games, not sure if i'll run it past then cause my SSD is right under the video card lol. hope its happy at 65 C all the time. (or at least for the next few weeks)

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it's always this and only this.

monero shot way up in value. that's why your cpu is making money.

Figured. Does nicehash actually save your balance in altcoins or in bitcoin? i.e. will I see my mBtc balance fall if a particular coin crashes, or what?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

inkwell posted:

Figured. Does nicehash actually save your balance in altcoins or in bitcoin? i.e. will I see my mBtc balance fall if a particular coin crashes, or what?

no thats not bitcoin works, you dont have less if the market crashes, what you have is just worth less. Also its worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I actually posted it to the green thread, but this is a common error.

anyway, THIS IS GENTLEMAN: People's Bank of China declares ICOs illegal. All ICOs must be halted and the money/cryptos put into them refunded. Looks like Paris Hilton really was peak crypto.

This probably won't be GOOD NEWS for Ethereum's price, but the question for this thread is what it does to Bitcoin's price - not because you mine it, but because altcoin prices tend to track Bitcoin's price (since most of them trade via BTC, not via dollars).

• Locked thread