Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Constellation I posted:

Both the Ducky and the CM are good. I'd probably lean towards the Ducky since it doesn't require software to manage the lighting. (unless you really want sophisticated lighting profiles)

Cheers

surebet posted:

switch testers are usually going to be a bit more expensive and while they're nice to have in certain contexts, i can't argue for one here. go to your local staples or something that has demo mechanical keebs on the floor and go touch them.

then push your budget a bit more and get a code w/ clear switches:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index....e-keyboard.html

I'm in Australia, so I don't have a Staples. I've got one place nearby that stocks Cooler Master, Corsair, and Steel Series,, but no guarantees they'll have any on display.

Also, the 87 key code w/ clear switches is sold out, and so is the 104 key

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

surebet posted:

ground flooring this!

all hail the new keeb thread!

clears are a rarer switch, but they're not unicorn rare either, they should be back in stock shortly

Does it ever show up for cheap on this Massdrop place? $150 yankee funbucks with an extra $49.90 for the cheapest shipping, or $258 dollarydoos all up, is a little bit beyond stretching my budget

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Thirst Mutilator posted:

They've had the CODE full-sized and TKL before with Clears, but IIRC it wasn't ~that~ much cheaper, maybe like $20 off at full discount.

Depends what the shipping is as well, because if it's down around the $20 mark, then that's a pretty hefty $50 saving all up, which drops it back under $200 dollarydoos

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

surebet posted:

yes!

this was for a wasd version without keycaps; i'd argue heavily in favor of always going the capsless route if you can live without backlighting.

the code keyboard is the same basic wasd but with backlighting, however i've yet to see the code be offered without caps. effectively, if you're going to ditch the caps, backlighting is going to cost you ~$40.

Alright thanks, I've found it on massdrop and hit request, so we'll see if it comes up again soon and for how much; pity it's not backlit, but I guess I can't have everything. Then, to find some PBT caps I like for less than the price of a second keyboard...

People more attentive than I link good keys or alternative good boards here when they're live on massdrop, right?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 1, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

It sounds like the name of a horror movie monster.

"Don't go near the vent! The clackers will get you!"

My clacker sure is a horrow show mate

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

This 2016 model CODE fitted with 2015 Cherry Blues and 2017 PBT caps manages to achieve the same handfeel as a vintage IBM, for a fraction of the auction price. Certainly a kintner worth following the produce of in future.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

A Ducky One is 90 bucks. Is that cheap enough?

The keycaps are a bit eh but they'd work until you decided you absolutely need some doubleshot PBT (a decent set is 30-40 bucks) keycaps.

Is there a diifference between PBT and doubleshot PBT, or is it just lazy copy writing?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Now this is a mechanical keyboard I can get behind, preferably with Cherry Syrup switches

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Do they ever sell it without caps?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

a real chump posted:

To Australia, the shipping cost is a pretty big difference.

I ordered my Race3 from mechkeyboards and ate the 40 USD shipping then about 5 days later it was on massdrop for the same price but 10 usd shipping.

The WASD V2 just went up on massdrop, and to get it shipped to Aus with clears and no caps in ANSI TKL at the best price is $93 plus $33 for shipping, while buying it from WASD is $110 plus $50 for shipping, all in USD

Speaking of, is there going to be a more suitable board for a better deal at all? I like backlighting, but I can do without it, especially since it sounds like clears are the switch for me, and clears don't do RGB.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 31, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Constellation I posted:

Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S/M/L. The good thing with "gamer" keyboards is that they're most likely to go on random sales in your local country, so keep an eye out and shop around. They also have a non-backlit version with PBT keycaps, but I'd rather get the RGB backlighting and pick up keycaps later. (turns out to be more expensive, but the keycaps you'd get from WASD will be equally as poo poo as the stock OEM ones from Cooler Master anyway)

EDIT: Oh, clears? Hmm, not so sure on that one.

Well I haven't tried any switches at all, and it's highly unlikely I'll ever be able to, but by description it sounds like clear are what I want, for a quieter mix of gaming and typing.

I can get a Cooler Master - MasterKeys Pro S with Browns for ~$116 USD from a place that doesn't do sales, and is rarely beaten by sales elsewhere, and I can drive to if they have stock. Otherwise they seem kinda hard to find locally.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 31, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

a real chump posted:

The Coolermaster boards are reasonably priced and don't look too garish for being gamer boards, other than the RGB lighting which I think you can disable if you want.

I was considering a Masterkeys Pro M because the layout is weird and different.

Speaking of https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cooler-master-masterkeys-pro-m-mechanical-keyboard

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

underage at the vape shop posted:

they are 100% heat resistant?

Wiki says PBT is heat resistant to 150 °C, ABS to 105 °C; Dishwashers operate between 45 and 75 °C

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Terminally Bored posted:

What's the consensus on keyboards from Aliexpress? There are some nice looking IKBCs on there.

https://boingboing.net/2017/11/07/free-keylogger-cheap-keyboard.html

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The difference between having $100 to spend on a new keyboard for the next 5+ years, and having $300 to spend on your third new keyboard this quarter, is a distinction often lost on this thread :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I have finally purchased my first mechanical keyboard.

I was buying an 8TB HDD ahead of my near total upgrade, since HDDs aren't going to change in 2 months and there's no harm in moving files now, and decided to grab a keyboard for no change in shipping. Nearly got a Ducky One 2 RGB TKL with browns, but it was sold out. Checked their other brands against this thread and decided to get a GMMK RGB TKL prebuilt with gateron browns. Should be a nice upgrade over the $5 keyboard I've been using since my Logitech board broke around the same time I lost my previous job. Plus the modularity appeals to my indecisive brain.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 4, 2019