Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I want to make sure you all are absolutely clear that NO I am not getting on voice. and god help you if you effect my rank scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

oh yeah I never did squad matches cause at ..S? it stopped giving points which defeated my goal of maybe staying in S+ for more than 5 minutes. Need those rank points!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Coolspaz posted:

I don't think having 12 year olds cussing non stop while painting is my idea of a good time, but what do you expect with goons playing?

edit: grammar

People generally want to talk about things that aren't game related, and this is tiresome.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Finally booted up the demo cause as predicted I am now at max hype and can't wait for saturday now. I hate waiting so much.

Edit: Hope the 1080p look maintains in multiplayer, but I'll give that up for 60fps no problem

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 11, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Can't say I noticed anything while demoing or playing the test fire. Some people are just nerds

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

....but why

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Because it's weird

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

So if my 1/2 paying attention self gathered correctly we can make teams Saturday? cause we should totally make teams

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

24 hours remain :bubblewoop:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kirios posted:

Friends, we haven't even discussed cookie cake

I'd take that over any ice cream

I so want a cookie cake but I'd just eat it all and feel bad at my old age.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

We're live!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

What team are you in?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Like the more distinct hit slashes, see them better than the hit sound

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Any other 🎂 people might get a team going with? I'm owning fools as expected

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Where the hell is the discord

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Maple Leaf posted:

How the hell do I jump to a teammate

I press X and I press the button corresponding to the one I want to jump to... then nothing.

I'm gonna smash a bro

Press a to confirm selections

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Edit drat it phone posting

:smug:

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 16, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lakbay posted:

My Switch didn't work for online play until I put it into the DMZ, now I only get a disconnect here and there but I wonder if I should just buy a better router

Everyone should probably buy a better router, many of them are indeed poo poo. Nintendo's Meh wifi makes it more obvious

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Zelder posted:

They completely changed Marina's AND Pearl's personality. I am not happy with it honestly.
Pearl in jp is much more awesome, cute, more feminine and peppy in a positive way than the english bratty one we're getting.(probably why we're getting shittons of fanart from the jp side...) And Pearl is awesome for accepting Marina, who is an Octoling which are like sworn enemies of Inklings. Girl is open minded.
Marina is actually polite, shy, and an endearing ditz genius instead of rude. She often forgets stuff and is very scatterbrained and adorable. If anything I'd say she's kinda moe in personality in a sexy DJ appearance. What the hell happened?!
And they totally missed out on the senpai kouhai dynamic the two has in jp version, Pearl actually seems like she was, leading Marina and showing her the ropes.
TLDR; Yes, I am very salty about the personality changes.

Edit: To clarify, I can read japanese and played both jp and US splatfests.

...like, whatever?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

No more strength/def up is the best thing I've heard about a game that has done nothing but make me happy. Hopefully what I noticed in the testfire about the system trying to find more regional players will continue cause gently caress am I sick of being hit by JPN players who have a .5s latency advantage on me.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Playing a little of Splatoon 1 last night reminded me how glad they made rollers have to actually you know, aim a little now instead of just being able to fling a wall of ink from behind cover .

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

No wonder she's always going to be second to marina.
:golfclap:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Video game reviews are garbage anyway :ssh:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I kinda forgot hammerhead is really bad for splat zones

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Kinda surprised that they don't have this up for preorder. Or is the switch eshop not able to do that?

Wii U's did at some point, Switch not yet

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Salmon Run is drat fun, but does anyone else find the Steelheads harder to put down than they should because of that drat rim around the edge of their grenade launcher? That and the Charger is just an utter waste of a weapon slot in it.

The funny thing is the charger is the weapon to use on the bosses like that, so you know back up and do that.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Charger in Horde:

The thing I pondered as I was sleeping last night is charger means big target assignment. You stay a extra level back and aim for all the biggest things (med mobs and bosses) you can see as you can hit them a hell of a lot easier. Also staying back and higher up means you can search for more incoming stuff easier and warn everyone. let the splattershot folks run in at the dozen little guys to murder.

Steelhead is a easier to hit when you're not having to look up at him. same with the rain guy, they're designed on purpose to be a little harder to hit but take a lot less damage than the others. Both of them go out in one charge shot. Mr kill from the back is kinda the same, you're better off being the distraction and letting the fast folks get behind and smash 'em.

if you get too many goobers on you that's what a bomb at the feet is for.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

grand theft grotto posted:

This was such an adjustment for me during Splatfest since in Splatoon 1 I would jump around like an rear end in a top hat and now I have to think about when I do it.

It's probably the single best change in the game. I'm not even mad about the chargers being able to move for a second bit, apparently it still takes a moment to fire so it won't give them freebies.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

angel opportunity posted:

During the testfire I did split joycons with motion controls. I'm left-handed so it ended up not feeling too good for me. I bought the game now and have been just using the shell thing or playing in handheld mode with motion controls and it feels a lot better.

I tried like two matches with motion controls off and it felt unplayable to me. I've only ever been able to play FPS games on PC with mouse/keyboard, and I don't know if all console shooters feel that awful with a controller, but there's no way I could aim as fast as you have to in Splatoon without motion controls.
People seem to think gyro is just gonna work as well as everything else they've sunk 100s of hours in and rather stick with subpar but understood controls vs learning new hotness.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Zelder posted:

don't engage with brosephine lol

"I sure hate these products!"
*keeps buying them*
*looks like a complete idiot*

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

RoboFrance_29 posted:

Thanks LethalGeek for killing Flanzig so much ya bitch :argh:

I thought that was familiar :D

BTW Everyone I found the Really Good Players. THey're all in ranked and most of them seem S Rank or better types. I'm having to work hard.

Also none of them are across the Pacific and i'm not getting lagged killed all the time ooooooooh my god so happy

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 22, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"Forced 50% win rate"

:gitgud:

Gimbal lock posted:

There's a page on the app that shows your average number of splats per round, and next to it there's a fractional number in parenthesis. Anybody know what that number is? It can't possibly be a k/d ratio, right? drat game doesn't even expose deaths.

The parenthesis is indeed your average being splatted. Edit: ok maybe not

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 22, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Also as someone who's plainly played this game a lot more than most:

Matchmaking is dropping people a bit, but I'm confident a patch is coming for that given MK8D & the original game both getting tweaked for such behavior.

The specials in this game are much better than the last one. As someone else said there's no gently caress You I Win buttons anymore. Everything has a timing and can be countered but still gives the user the advantage with some good planning.

Lag is so much less than I was used to playing against Japan in S rank all the time. I can actually count the correct number of hits it takes to splat me and shots aren't coming out of the either. Also the couple people I've seen lagging are punished by the system instead of being gifted like Splat1. Honestly I've seen so little lag compared to what I'm used to I'm shocked. Part of this is the game plainly does its best to do regional match making before dropping back to world to find more players. I've only see like....4 kanji loaded names over hours and hours of play time.

Man the brush is no joke anymore. Roller changes are great. Pretty happy with all the weapons. Balloons are kinda weak because in the last game they were stupidly OP and a big part of the reason damage up has been removed. That was really stupid and glad it's gone.

Towers is a poo poo map and playing it on splatzones is indeed a very bad idea. Why that of all things came back loving baffles me. I guess Japanese players liked it a lot.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

CatsPajamas posted:

It's neat to hear different perspectives on the changes for Splatoon 2. I think the most visible one for the multiplayer is all the new specials, but the kind of tweaks done for other weapons like these above are really interesting. Does anyone know if all the balance changes for weapons from Splatoon 1 to Splatoon 2 are documented somewhere?

Also in the original Splatoon I tried all the different weapons but ended up really sticking with different varieties of shooters the vast majority of the time. This time I'd like to make more of an effort to get good with the major different types, like rollers and chargers. Currently getting owned as a roller though (and haven't even touched chargers in multiplayer yet) and feeling bad if I'm dragging teams down even if it's just Turf War. Any advice or ways to get good other than just trying and failing repeatedly?

Practice Practice Practice. Turf war is where you go to learn weapons you're bad at so nah go ruin a few matches while you're figuring it out. I never really moved on from shooters, blasters, or buckets myself. The rest require a sense of patience and timing I simply don't have lol. Rollers, Brushes, and Chargers are a lot more GOTCHA where the goal is to more sneak up on them. The ones who get good at it force the other team to have to play less aggressively because you never know when one is going to pop up behind some box and WHAM.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

More cash per win.

and more points toward your level

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

What is even the point of respawn punisher?

Making the other people respawn slower after you splat them keeps them out of the game longer which means that's that many less seconds they're putting ink down which gives an output advantage. The cost is if you are losing you're going to be out a lot more yourself.

Edit: In this game staying alive is better than trading/eating a death because you need all the time you can get to lay down more ink or push an objective in rank.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 22, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

They could match sets with similar sets but then you have to try to match levels/ranks also and weapons. At that point it could get restrictive and we don't want to go back to worldwide matching.

That all said it probably would work fine and yeah turf war is super casual central, ranked is hardcore compared to that far as the kinds of players you find.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gunder posted:

Can you skip the stupid loving tv show bullshit that very slowly explains which maps are available this hour?

This is a very unfresh post

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's free/game money, Nintendo isn't that stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Not a Children posted:

PSA: Splatoon 2 uses about 150MB per hour

I'm really surprised to hear this