Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah the real problem is single shift unpaid stages, not the 1 year unpaid corporate internships, or the multiyear indentured servitude perpetrated by Disney and others.

Also, there is a difference between "chef" and "owner". One controls what we spend money on. The other keeps the gears turning.

If it makes you feel like GOOD PEOPLE when you berate and poo poo on some random individual chef for following the precedent set by the industry, cool, I'm happy for you. While you jerk yourself off, I'll be cooking food.

Actually it seems you are losing an internet argument instead of cooking, hmmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well this is loving lovely

(For those who don't want to read it, Susur Lee's restos have been essentially stealing the tips of their employess, in violation of the labour code)

Is this as widespread as I fear it is?

It currently even happens where I work

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Skwirl posted:

The guys youtube channel is howtobasic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urZf_7NuFvg

no egg, 0/10

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Disargeria posted:

We have some interesting dessert options.

Poor cow literally died to be ruined as a meat

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

PurplPenisEata posted:

But it is very important to me that others enjoy things in exactly the way I do. If they do not enjoy a thing exactly as I enjoy a thing they are exactly wrong.

This guy gets it!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

You can make virgin margaritas by switching out tequila for lemonade, and it looks pretty much exactly the same

doesn't blend as well though

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

We have a new hire in BoH and he is a gigantic goony gently caress with no social skills. This was probably his second or third shift with me so I hadn't really gotten to know him or anything. Anyway he tried to be funny or something last night to me (dude came out of the kitchen to the bar and demanded a cup whilst I was serving a customer) and came off as a gigantic rear end in a top hat with no manners. It was just plain ol' weird and I can't think of a time where that might be acceptable. I raised this as a problem with the other FoH staff and apparently the dude isn't a team player and acts super bizarrely, so I'm glad that I have less than a month before I finally leave hospitality for the green green pastures of psychology.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

iospace posted:

From working with loons to working with loons I see.

You'd have to be crazy to think anyone will notice another madman around here

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry I’m not a fan of organized crime? :shrug:

Go join the police or something then, you schmuck

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

UberEats and any third party service is poo poo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah my phone just stays in my bag when I'm on the clock, I couldn't even imagine doing that poo poo because of how it looks.

:siren:3 weeks until I leave hospo:siren:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Picked up a day shift today and when I walk in I get told that there’s a reso for 25 at 3:00 pm. Sure I can handle that. 15 kids 10 adults. Then I get told they pre-ordered the food for the kids, sure even better.

3:00 pm hits, 40 people walk in and say “we are the reservation”

Our dining room seats 45 max, so booking it off for 25 was a problem. Also they brought a sheet cake and yell at the manager when he tells them there is a cake fee for bringing your own desserts. I tell them I don’t think I have room for a group of 40 and the alpha bitch just goes “you WILL accommodate us, we are BRINGING you business.” Lady the restaurant is full and I have a twenty minute wait list

Anyways, we end up seating 12 of them in the bar and 28 in the restaurant, the pre-ordered pizza comes out and also 20 people want to order additional food and beverages. Two hours later they want the pre-ordered food split between certain people and also for me to combine the bills of certain moms with certain children with certain dads. Everybody is telling me jersey numbers because they’re a sports team but none of the kids are wearing jerseys.

What a gently caress show. Luckily I keep insanely detailed notes so I could split all of this bullshit.

jesus christ what a nightmare

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

We've had a FoH being sexually assaulted by a customer.

There are regulars who we make sure the FoH women don't have to deal with because they are serial pests.

e: the person who did the assault is banned. The regulars unfortunately don't cross the threshold set by my boss for banning (yet).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

it's almost like hospitality is poo poo and there is a toxic undercurrent of loving your staff (figuratively and literally), and society generally gives no shits because all they want is the best food at the lowest price in the shortest amount of time.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

So it's official, this coming week is my last week in hospitality forever

feeling kind of nostalgic about it, it sucked sometimes but it was also a blast

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah we don’t go through scoops often at all.

Maybe the ice cream is too cold?

e: I don’t even know how to break a spoon while making a quenelle

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Been out of the industry for almost a month, still feels amazing

Had a meal at my old restaurant and they hosed my order up

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

infiniteguest posted:

My philosophy contains these two elements, among others

2) Fat paychecks are awesome but don’t necessarily compensate for the long hours, late nights, weekends and holidays we all sacrifice to do this work. Working in an environment that is challenging, fulfilling, and provides a service you believe in is its own unit of payment.

posting from the past to say gently caress you

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hello friends, please remember that it's okay for this to bring up some pretty poo poo feelings and possibly questions. It's often pretty difficult in this industry to take time out for your own self-care, but try doing something relaxing today/tomorrow or even just be kinder to yourself

Hope people ITT are okay

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Guys now I am the annoying customer asking whether you take American Express

Being out of the industry is good

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Quabzor posted:

I've only had people ask if we take Discover.

Is it still a thing for places to not take amex or discover? I see both all the time.

Yeah it is, also a lot of smaller businesses don’t take Amex due to the higher costs compared to Visa/MasterCard.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Also, I'm not positive on this, but I think if you use Square they handle all of that and just charge a flat % to the shop. But restaurants shouldn't use Square because its designed for running a booth at a farmer's market, not the service industry.

Its funny how much I used to hate Aloha until I had to use any other POS system.

My girlfriend uses square to sell her art, and I just learnt she accepts amex because of this

the list continues :smug:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

have you tried putting cement mix in their drinks so they would "harden up"?

i mean it's definitely no putting salt or whatever in a can of soft drink but it's a start

I'm sorry they are going through all this poo poo at the moment, I hope you guys are able to support them somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I know that hospo is weird but lol if you think sabotaging drinks is an acceptable form of behaviour correction

Saltdrinkgate