Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Rarity, if you didn't notice, Hogan made sure to kick out at 3.0001 and then made 80% of the post-match about him, whether it was the vague, never-gonna-happen-at-this-point hinting of a heel turn or just making it about him pouting about losing the belt rather than actually passing the torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's not a great match by technical standards, but it's absolutely the right match for the crowd and the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Kronik were cool. They had lasers in their entrance before EVIL made it cool, and their finisher and team name were such blatant weed references I'm amazed they made on to not just WCW TV, but WWE TV with them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

You're loving kidding me

He is kidding. Bobby isn't related.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Between this thread, WWE and just getting into NJPW all my wrestling hours are fully accounted for sadly. Momma got to save some time for her video games.

Simple, drop WWE! :haw:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

But my bae Dolph Ziggler needs me :ohdear:

We... we can get you help. We can find a place where he can't hurt you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I kind of liked the format of this show too, if only for the novelty of things like Paul Roma: Main Eventer. Shake that loving lineup

You're surprised that one of the Four Horsemen was in a main event? :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

My favorite Warrior thing is "Tear down the cockpit door, Hull Kogan."

My favourite Warrior thing is Christian's impression of this one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Godammit :negative:

To be fair, Dino's death is much, much more sordid than Adonis'. Adonis was in a car accident. Bravo was killed in a MOB HIT.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, as another example the Guererros were from El Paso, which is basically the same city as Juarez, just one side of the river is the US, the other is Mexico.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Namtab posted:

Yo rarity I'm slowly going through the ppvs myself and following the thread as I go (WM4 now) so I just wanted to say this is a good thread and thanks for the effort :)

Oh, how many weeks have you been watching WM4 for?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Be satisfied with that one episode of Highlander where Roddy battles MacLeod in a spooky amusement park.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Takuan posted:

Before becoming Goldust, Dustin Rhodes was one of the blandest, whitest meat babyfaces to ever make it on to TV. He wasn't bad, he was just kinda there. That being said, Dusty and Dustin did one of my all-time favorite segments in all of wrestling in WCW in 1994. It's from the future, but it's not from WWF, so I don't believe it qualifies as a spoiler. If it does, I apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOli1iSjr7s&t=136s

The context is Dustin is falling in with a bad crowd, and Dusty is trying to get him to see the error of his ways.

I believe this is CM Punk's favourite promo of all time, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The best part is he had to join them because he lost to both because of some Los Guerreros style chicanery, and whenever he teamed with them, he insisted on being called Kenskee instead of Kensuke

...Isn't that basically pronounced the same way? Or is :thejoke:?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I like how you can find the point Vince goes "Stick to the script motherfucker"

I'd love to have video of them at the exact moment Roddy goes "THAT'S TONY ATLAS!". Just that trademark Piper poo poo-eating grin on his face and Vince staring a hole in him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My prevailing memory of Douglas in ECW was the storyline where he was constantly ducking Taz, to the point that Taz made up his own title.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

The best was that they went up against Team ROH (Young Bucks and Mike Bennett) where Meng stood alone in the ring while the Bucks each gingerly entered from each side. The fans chanted "IT'S NOT WORTH IT!" and the two facially sold it like maybe they were right.

I assume they threw Mike to the wolf and Maria threw herself on him like a shield?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

I kind like the Nasty Boys :ohdear:

How's retirement treating you, Mr Hart?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

So if they're Rocksteady and Bebop, which one is Seamus??

He's still Rocksteady, just from the later cartoon where they actually followed the comics more closely.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's bullshit either way, but I THINK Gorilla means that WMVII had the largest POTENTIAL PPV audience ever. As in it was available to the most number of people, so would be the biggest if every possible one bought it. Because that's at least plausible to claim in the moment. Claiming it has the most buys WHILE THE SHOW IS AIRING? That's absurd because that's not how calculating that works. They wouldn't know that for at least a few days if not a few weeks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tenryu is also responsible for the Japanese promotion that gave Lance Storm and Chris Jericho some of their first notable bookings (and in doing quick research, he's also responsible for mah boy the Stone Pitbull Tomohiro Ishii).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pfft, anyone can seem popular if they have 30 thousand people cheering their entrance at the Tokyo Dome :rolleyes:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's basically why the Alex Riley thing was dead on arrival a few years ago, too. People wanted to see Miz get his, but no-one was actually invested in Riley.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Fun fact? Flair actually isn't signed yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

Forgot about one of the best parts. Jim Herd wanted Ric Flair to shave his head, get earrings and change his name to Spartacus.

It's doubly funny to me because "take a WCW champion and give him an inane gladiator gimmick" is something WWF would be guilty of years later.

Beautiful

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

Again, it's not so much the "wrestlers with jobs" thing that's the flavor of the time. It's taking guys we already know and repackaging them in ridiculous ways. Mike Rotunda becomes an evil tax guy. Ricky Steamboat is now Drago Sr. One of the Rougeau Brothers is a loud-mouth Canadian lawman. The Iron Sheik is Slaughter's Iraqi sidekick and we aren't supposed to make the connection. We're only a few months after the disaster of Saba Simba!

THAT'S TONEE ATLASSS

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Takuan posted:

As someone who started watching wrestling in 1998, I still thought Ric Flair was great. Ric Flair was so good he tricked me into thinking Disco Inferno could be a good wrestler if he really tried.

Yeah, if you think Ric lost it before about 2005, you're basically saying all you care about is highspots and Jeff Hardy falling off something tall. And bear in mind, people were saying he was over the hill in like 1988, right before he had what was basically his best year EVER in-ring with the feuds with Steamboat and Funk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Doesn't AJ Styles do something similar due to an injury as well?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I'm just worried that Shawn won't make it without Marty to carry him :(

As long as he steers clear of drugs, alcohol and loose women, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have a fairy garden that in the back of my butterfly duplex

No no, a duplex is like a suplex, but like, twice as strong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, if WWE hadn't abandoned the women's division at this point, I assume there would've been a wrestling meter maid gimmick.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh christ, I just looked up the undercard for the Rumble... :gonk:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Takuan posted:

He did, once, in New Japan in 1988 against Mark "Rollerball" Rocco.

...how the gently caress did they manage that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Good lord, at least upgrade to Civ V, woman!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

Look at this! Look at this wrong opinion!

Civ V owns, sorry your computer is too bad to run it. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's kind of why I'm sceptical about Davey Boy Jr as the face of the ITV thing right now. He's got name recognition but is missing the 'It' factor. Kinda like his old man

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

This is the best wrestling thread, I hope it doesn’t end.

:yeah:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nystral posted:

So 12 year old me is raging mad at you for not recognizing Superfly’s greatness right now!

I hope 40 year old you is mad at her for cheering a murderer?

And yeah, the Savage spot wasn't the plan, Randy jumps out of the ring by leaping the top rope all the time and forgot this was a battle royal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

The Sherri version of sexy boy is my favorite version.

I hate it, but I can never tell if it's because I actually dislike Sherri's voice, or if it's because it sounds wrong to me because I'm so used to Shawn's version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

I can see it both ways, to be honest. I like the little BDSM vibe personally but I can see how it wouldn't play so well in the early 90s when public awareness of kink and especially consent in kink weren't so wellknown.

Again, I think Shawn being a heel also tempers it a bit, although if you come at it from the kink angle that adds to the iffy-ness, as you're portraying any non-vanilla practices as 'evil', but if you're looking at it as mildly abusive, then well, you're not supposed to like Shawn or approve of him treating women like that.