Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Rarity posted:

This girl gets a huge pop from the crowd. I can't imagine why.

Yeah like you wouldn't pop for a giant golden glove too. Geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Jason Sextro posted:

That's him! They had a thing where he was literally Hercules for a while and delivered some coked-out promos about Mount Olympus and poo poo

WWF ruled in the 80s

Then he teamed with Paul Roma to form Power and Glory!

They were making Herc the #2 face for a while, at least in my heart anyway.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Rarity posted:

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying it :D

I too am enjoying it and I really wish you include the Main Event shows in your rewatch as they explain a lot of the storyline for the Mega Powers. But it's been years since I thought of the shows and I don't know if you have access to it or not.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

God Of Paradise posted:

So I ask this... Was I the only kid who hated Hulk Hogan?

In Central Florida I only knew about WWF in the late 80s. I knew a kid who watched WCW and I think I saw WCW on TV once or twice during the Kangaroos sponsorship days but it wasn’t my thing. The 89-90 time frame was when I started to watch with consistency and remember the matches, and I was 100% on board for Hulkamania.

The only guy that I can recall challenging Hulk was Jake or Warrior. But everything was all Hulk all the time.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

I'm glad we got this far. This was my very first PPV and I recorded it on my VCR and it was great because even though my dad set everything up and left for the day, I pushed the buttons and I did it correctly! I was 10.

I was a big Bushwhackers mark and I loved this match. Tghe Rougaeus were always bad in my book and I never appreciated them when I was a kid, so thank you for championing these awful French-Canadian pretend All American Boys.

I can't wait for the upcoming matches as one in particular stands out in my mind as being especially great.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

This was my favorite match on this PPV. I loved the interaction and I was a big Rugged Ronnie Garvin fan for like a week afterward. I never knew he was the man with the hands of stone though. I lost track of him over the years and it will be interesting to learn how he ended up or if the gets another PPV match.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Was Vince just trimming payroll during this time? Losing Rude and Honky in the same year seems like they really hollowed out the midcard heels and IIRC during this era the Intercontinental Title was still A Big Deal.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

The other thing to keep in mind with We will Rock You was that it was the ad jingle for a new line of shoes called British Knights that were mega popular at the time so every kid heard the drat song and it’s catchy as hell.

Damnit why did Freddie have to die?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

I was starting to fall out of being an avid watcher of the WWF during this time. I remember on the house show in Tampa that it was Hulk vs Sarge and Savage vs Warrior with Sherri interference. But for the life of me I do not remember much about Warrior vs Savage as an overarching feud.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Randaconda posted:

You misspelled No Mercy

Look at both of these wrong oppinions, when it’s the original WWF Superstars.

But that was back in the WM3 or WM4 days. My favorite team was Honky Tonk Man and Big Boss Man, followed by Savage and Warrior. It was the best game ever and I still play it when I can.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Gavok posted:

Forget Wrestlefest. It's time-appropriate that I can bring up the WWF hockey game! Here's a look at what the game actually looked like:

But here's the kickass Joe Jusko art that came with it. He also did the posters for Royal Rumble 1991 and Wrestlemania 7.

jojo_stardust_crusaders.jpg

To this day it still weirds me out to see Bossman as a face. He’s a heel in my heart forever.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Jason Sextro posted:

When I remember that Haku and The Barbarian were a tag team in WCW called The Faces of Fear, and the Barbarian's kick was called The Kick of Fear, I wanted them to name everything "The ___ of Fear".

I loved when Chikara had Meng, Barbarian, and Warlord at a King of Trios and named them “The Faces of Pain”.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

pseudodragon posted:

Technically a spoiler since the match happens a week after WM7 but before the next ppv so if you’ve already finished watching the card...

https://youtu.be/u4nlN0mvXCc

Even if not, the commentary is in Japanese so even if they talk about WM7 if you can’t understand them it doesn’t matter.

Earthquake was a low level but promising sumo prospect in Japan (he was unbeaten in 3 minor league tournaments) before quitting and joining pro-wrestling so during the WWE co-promotions, it made sense to put him with the Kitao. While Kitao was disgraced and a disappointment as a Yokozuna, just making the rank meant he was ranked in the top 3 in the world. Earthquake on the other hand would have been around the 150th ranked at the time he quit.

Being a dick, Kitao probably thought being booked to lose to a nobody like Earthquake was an insult to his status and decided to poo poo up the match.

that poor ref, what an rear end in a top hat.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Gavok posted:

For years I thought Hercules died in like 93 or 94. Only now do I discover that he died in the mid-00's and it's genuinely shocking to me.

Paul Roma would move on to WCW where he became remembered for two things.

1) They brought back the Four Horsemen and decided that instead of bringing back Tully, they would use Roma. It was...not a popular decision. It would be like if WWE decided, "No, really, Roman, Rollins and Jason Jordan are officially the Shield from now on!"

2) A few years later, WCW had a new prospect in Alex Wright. Think of him as Finn Balor, only German and instead of dramatically stretching his arms, he'd fashion a dance out of trying to smell his armpits. Roma was told to put him over. Roma instead decided to no-sell, work stiff, regularly kick out at 1 and even kick out of Wright's finish. That ended up being Roma's last match with the company.

I always got Roma confused with someone who hasn’t made their appearance in the thread yet and IMO one of the best heels of the era. So I never really missed him growing up after Power and Glory broke up.

Shiki Dan posted:

It was definitely the latter, which was a contributing factor for him to go back quite soon after this.

I always mark Steamboat and Atlas’s repacking as the height of the cartoon gimmick era of 90s WWF.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Gavok posted:

It's hilarious to me how we have the PPV introduction to one of the silliest wrestling gimmicks of all time and Rarity's all, "Yeah, that's great. WHY IS VALENTINE HERE?!"

Luckily, there's an even more ridiculous repackaged gimmick coming up in a couple shows.

I’m having a hard time remembering what you’re referring to so I’m going to wait with baited breath!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

That was a really well done turn. Jake just steadily went insane after Damien got killed, got morbidly fascinated with death, and well...the logical conclusion is being friends with a zombie

And I hated it because Jake was my favorite wrestler growing up. Little me never understood the turn and looking back I’m having a hard time recalling anything beyond the turn. Im going to be very interested in how things play out in Rarity’s Retrospective.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Gavok posted:

All right, good. Pretty sure those things were just best of packages and figured you'd be wasting your time watching matches you've already reviewed.

I mean, if you're going to be watching any Hulk Hogan special from that time, it should be the Nickelodeon thing about how the Hulkster was overweight as a kid. Anyone else remember that?

Something something ate a shopping cart full of food? Am I thinking of the right thing?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Miss Elizabeth was always that. MISS Elizabeth. And as a primary schooler, the MISS was a sign of respect so obviously Miss Elizabeth was someone to respect and admire just based on her title. Having never really had a discussion using the Madonna / Whore imagery has a framing mechanism before - being honest I thought your essay was on the singer vs the ideal when I saw the title - it’s hard for me to now separate Miss Elizabeth from that Plutonic ideal of what a women valet of the era should be, emotionally supportive of her wrestler, yet weak enough to be in peril by the heel. I never really watched during the George Steele program so I can’t comment on that but Miss Elizabeth was almost like the redeemer for Randy Savage. He fell but she pulled him back to the light, his redemption was entirely due to her and her actions.

However this build up to the wedding and what I can recall, it felt like Miss Elizabeth was almost an afterthought. Savage had a televised “bachelor party” on the WWF night time show that I got to stay up late and watch. The only guests I can remember are Monsoon, Okerland, and Piper. I also distinctly remember Piper bringing “Budweasel” beer to the party.

Side note: even now I think of her as Miss Elizabeth and I can’t bring myself to type it any other way. She will always be Miss Elizabeth to me.

The Sensational Sherri was very different for me. She was dynamic and hard vs Miss Elizabeth’s soft and static portrayal. Sherri (note: I don’t have a hard time calling her Sherri, like I do with Miss Elizabeth) was unafraid to mix it up with the men, she actively and regularly interfered in matches. She was BAD, because she wanted to win, and in the era where there were purses attached to matches it meant that she was a CHEATER. Looking back, she was awesome at her job, and her influence IMO vastly surpassed Miss Elizabeth’s.

During this time frame, maybe a bit earlier, I was at a house show where Warrior and Savage were having a match and Sherri was in a skirt and loose shirt. During the match she jumped on Warrior’s back and her shirt was ripped off and SHE WAS FIGHTING IN HER BRA! AND SHE CONTINUED! This blew my WWF watching mind. You’d never see this on TV! How’d Jack Tunney allow this to happen? Warrior kind of flung her off his back and the match continued. But Sherri will always be the Woman who Fought in Her Bra in my mind.

Also Hogan was in a match with Slaughter and he was in camo fatigues and tossed a smoke grenade thing in the ring that spit smoke into Slaughter’s face, blinding him for a moment. Hogan was always a heel.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Rarity posted:

See, the bit that interests me is how the younger version of you reacted to this? What did young Nystral think of Sherri fighting in her bra? Did you respect it or did you dislike her? Thanks for your reply! Super interesting!

I remember it fitting with her character. It was her doing anything and everything to help Savage win against Warrior. Sherri the character was psycho to little me and kind of scary. She’s a consummate heel and it worked. But mainly, I think the bra bit was her selling that commitment and it holding back because she knew that Warrior wouldn’t dare hit her back so she could “cheat to win” against him.

Her tactics were overt, she was a peacock, a distraction. She would do anything and everything to secure a win for her wrestler. She was also a mercenary, if one guy wasn’t winning enough then she had no problem dropping them in favor of someone who did win. It was just business after all.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Rarity posted:

He's... he's not? :stonk:

He was always the stereotypical nerd from a bad 80s movie. For the time period, I don’t think he’d be considered anything but socially awkward. He reads like Vince saw Revenge of the Nerds on cable one night and made a copy of one of the characters.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

If this thread dies an ignoble death, I want Rarity to know that it was my favorite on the forums.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

:emptyquote:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Rarity posted:

It's... #19 Jimmy Snuka? Welp, it was fun while it lasted. Go Snuka, I guess? Snuka gets to the ring and displays some fine brawling action. Top work, lad. And then #20 The Undertaker shows up and immediately dumps him out. I think that must be the worst Rumble showing my pick has had so far. Taker turns his attentions to Flair and chokes him out while Heenan moans that “everything is down the toilet”. It could be worse, dude. At least you didn't randomly wind up having to support Jimmy Snuka.

So 12 year old me is raging mad at you for not recognizing Superfly’s greatness right now!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I hope 40 year old you is mad at her for cheering a murderer?

I was going to touch on that but wasn’t sure where in the timeline all of that had occurred. Finding that out was sobering to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Touching on the Sherri thing for a moment. Sherri, in my childhood mind fueled by a steady diet of Disney VHS tapes, was the EVIL QUEEN personified and Miss Elizabeth was Snow White.

Snow White was reactive, things happened TO her. Miss Elizabeth, as I remember her twenty-five to thirty years on, was much the same way. She was “reason” that the MegaPowers exploded because she was hurt in the match. But Sherri was mixing things up in the ring with the wrestlers. She instigated, prodded, and set the tone for future valets and their level of involvement in matches.

While little me Miss Elizabeth > Sherri, now I know that Sheri >>>>>>> Miss Elizabeth. What I’m saying is that Sherri is awesome.