Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Koko's stalling brainbuster finisher was the poo poo, but you never saw it unless he was fighting a total jobber on a weekend TV show.

https://youtu.be/bsAKXB8nubA?t=3m9s

Chiropractors went :signings: every time he hit that thing.

e: Bonus pre-WWF Koko, no bird gimmick and just angry as gently caress at this dude apparently. First clothesline rag dolls the dude and then he just bitch slaps him over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KmTdsLMyG0

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Koko was too small for Vince to consider making him a star, but he seemed too good (and too over) to be relegated to glorified jobber like he was either.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

There was this squash match I loved from Superstars where the random jobber inexplicably started beating the crap out of Perfect from the opening bell. After a few minutes of this, Heenan pulls Perfect out and basically goes "Stop messing around, you're going to lose to this guy". Perfect gets back in and goes ape on jobber, Perfectplex and the win

Hennig just owned that smug-rear end bastard character, and like Bret Hart he had a bunch of moves that just looked evil, like his running neck snap, or that trip + kneebreaker combo thing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Bad News and Andre had a complex relationship. You call me a racial slur, I pull a gun on you, you poop on me, etc

He sharted on Jake Roberts too IIRC.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Sgt Slaughter had been a face in the mid 80s and fought the Iron Sheik a lot, but more significantly he was made a heroic character on the GI Joe cartoon, which he voiced himself.

He was also a marine corps drill instructor in real life before getting into wrestling.

So even though he had been a heel before, that still had to be a crazy swerve at the time to make him straight up go gently caress AMERICA.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

:eng101: His son is the reigning United States Champion in WWE.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rarity posted:

You're loving kidding me

:v:

His character is very much derived from Rude's though, to the point where he used the Rude Awakening move and everything.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Undertaker had a heck of an evolution as a wrestler. He was an impressive monster immediately, but then he starts doing suicide dives to the outside and rope walk moves and poo poo and it's the most :stare: goddamn thing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Davros1 posted:

That's why we have NXT now!

He was doing the rope walk in WCW

Yeah but I don't think he did it in WWF at first. At least I don't remember him doing the more agility based stuff for a while other than the giant jump clothesline.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Looks like he did the ropewalk in his very first singles match actually. Also where Honky comes up with Rest In Peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I6IkjXDnCI

Well so much for my garbage memory lol :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

There should have been a Bret Hart & Curt Hennig tag team called "Perfect Excellence."

Imagine the two of them just being :smugdog::respek::smuggo: as gently caress and taking turns donig evil as gently caress moves to the kneecaps and balls of their opponents.

:smugdog: *kneebar**kneebreaker**knee drop**senton on knee**headscissors into knee strike*
:hf:
:smuggo: *Dick stomp* *Headbutt to dick* *Inverted atomic drop (to dick)**ringpost figure 4, crushing dick*

:discourse:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rarity posted:

I'd even go so far as to say his sweat is glistening

Speaking of coke sweats, at some point in his WWF career Jake got serious about lifting weights and working out and got visibly bigger, and Vince told him to knock that poo poo off because "The Snake" is supposed to be slippery looking worm-man. So Jake just took some time off to not work out and to take more drugs until he got relatively skinny again.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Whoops. I mixed them up, you're positively correct. Sasaki did go to WCW around a similar time period but it wasn't his excursion, just part of WCW and NJPW's working agreement.

Fun fact: Sasaki is the only wrestler to be IWGP, GHC, and Triple Crown champion.

Sasaki was also a part of the Road Warriors/Legion of Doom when they wrestled in Japan as the :black101: POWER WARRIOR :black101:

e: LOL @ some of the names of his moves.

KING BUSTER
NORTHERN LIGHTS BOMB
STRANGLE HOLD ALPHA/BETA/GAMMA/Z
VOLCANO ERUPTION
SPACE TORNADO KENSUKE
TORNADO BOMB

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 8, 2018

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rarity posted:

While this match had slightly more going on to it than I initially expected it still wasn't anything special. I feel like I'm supposed to be way more into Bulldog than I actually am. Especially as the original UK guy he should automatically be getting the same love from me that guys like Regal, Layla and Barrett always got. But I just can't bring myself to care because the guy is a charisma vacuum. The same does not hold for noted Good Dog, Winston, who is by far the star of this double act. What a cutie!

He does noticeably better when he gets a better opponent for a pay per view sometime in... 1992? Yeah.

Bulldog, not the bulldog, who was already a good boy. :dogge:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Snuka also wore boots sometimes early in his career. This is from 1981:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GThnsJ4tptk

I always thought Jimmy Snuka owned as a kid. He was this crazy dude who was jacked but did top rope moves and flying karate chops and poo poo!

That was before it became public knowledge that he was probably a murderer. :smith:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Face or heel, Hennig and Hart both loved the timely dick attack.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shiki Dan posted:

As a palate cleanser for that crap main event, enjoy the only actual GOOD match that Hogan and Slaughter actually had, which was actually several months previous--a DESERT STORM match in MSG which as usual, is like bizarro WWF compared to TV and PPV at the time in that the top guys actually put in workrate.
Hogan actually doesn't even do his formulaic Hulk Up match, and the match actually makes his heelish moveset make sense in context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvC1XB543bo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toZR5NkmKPc

I thought we skipped something with Hogan vs. Slaughter, turns out it was this MSG match and not a PPV like I assumed.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Face Jake was just Heel Jake with different enemies.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I re watched the bit where Miss Elizabeth took off her skirt to distract the heels, and even though they were the bad guys they didn't really act lecherous. Bad guys being pervs would be in character but they pointedly didn't go that route. Instead they seemed to just be confused more than anything.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

remusclaw posted:

Flair took the NWA title off of Harley Race at the first Starrcade with a flying cross-body. That is the shining moment of glory he chases every time he goes to the top.

If you go waaaaay back supposedly Flair used a diving knee drop as a finisher, but I can't find any clips of it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think at this point Jake's DDT was still being treated as pure death. When Jake lost it was because he just never got the chance to use it, or there were shenanigans that kept him from going for the pin after killing the guy. I'm sure Hogan would have no-sold it but their feud in the 80s got called off, supposedly because fans liked the idea of Hogan eating the DDT too much.

Savage getting up and having to be re-DDT'ed over and over was just crazy.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Savage's family for real hated Jake because he did such an amazing job with this storyline. They had every reason to know it was all just a show and they still loving lost it lol.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Early, bad Undertaker match:

1) No-selling everything
2) Choke holds galore
3) Crazy athletic move out of nowhere makes you go :stare:
4) No-selling opponent's finisher(s)
5) A tombstone piledriver that either keeps the guy's head a foot of the ground... or looks like a leaping skull spike of death for real.

He gets real good but it's a way off for sure.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I loved Taker a lot and dressed as him for Halloween one time around this time, but it doesn't hold up. Aside from the MDK tombstone. That's the reckless insanity I can get behind.

Sometimes he'd do a BIG jump before delivering it, which was even more :stare: than usual.

People just loved his character from the get-go, and that carried him until he actually got good at wrestling.

We're just, uh, not there yet, but at least he's a good "monster spectacle" type of guy even at his worst.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Renaissance Spam posted:

Edit gently caress forgot what thread I was posting in and spoilered

*2nd edit*

I'm fully with you there and Bret was one of the very few babyfaces I ever really "Bought"; even when he was heel with the Foundation I liked him because it felt like he really embodied the whole Ventura ethos of "Win if you can, lose if you must and always cheat"; I believed in his passion and when he DID play dirty I would think "Well, boo, but I see what you did there and I can't blame you".

TBF this was in retrospect as I never really saw Bret in his Hart Foundation heel persona at the time, but even much later my teenaged cynicism dug the character he portrayed.

Also Brett had like 4 different groin attacks that he did all the time, regardless of if he was a face or heel. They'd always call them "midsection" attacks but they always hit the groin and the victim always acted like it was a nut shot so...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

It's even better than I remembered. Sid wins a squash against some other jobber, proceeds to helpfully try and save the life of the jobber he just killed. Virgil interrupts, proceeds to job on a run-in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1i_4OXxaV0

That's a meta-job right there.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

He was kinda like Warrior in having a really great persona and image, pity about the wrestling part.

I'd rate him better than Warrior, which admittedly is a super low bar. Sid was a better heel character than Warrior was a face character.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rarity posted:

I've got pretty much no idea of anything pre-1998.

You know what you must do. The end is only the beginning! :getin:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Is it time to goldmine this beauty? :smith:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's funny how many acceptable matches Warrior had for not actually being good at anything. I don't even mean that as snark, Warrior really wasn't much of a wrestler and his character was one note (cocaine.)

Taken as a whole Savage-Warrior deserves to be up there, but I dunno about Warrior-Rude... I mean Rude owned bones and they definitely worked well together, but they just don't feel that "big" to me as matches. I dunno.

Steamboat-Savage not even making the top 5 seems a little :thunk: though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

don't be hating on the Rarities, the Worst Hair Award has one of the strongest contender pools I've ever seen.

(obama voice) LET ME BE CLEAR... I love the Rarities.

And that hair hahahahahaha

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TL posted:

No "What Dat Butt" award?

It would just be Rick Rude competing with himself 5 times. :butt:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

Worst Suplex has to be Hogan's "suplex" on Virgil where he just drops him on the floor. It's jaw-dropping in its ineptness.

For a while Kevin Nash would routinely do a version of the vertical suplex where he just dropped the dude like that on purpose.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

it occurs to me, on further thought, that Worst Suplex could also be Dino Bravo's "why is this a finisher" sidewalk slam.

Eh, that might have been the LEAST crappy thing about Dino Bravo as a wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm happy to concede those two points, which are fun things I totally forgot about. :v: