Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Italian exploitation movies really need like a check on the corner of the box on streaming services for whether or not they contain rape.

That's the one time the imdb parent's guide is useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

And then there's the JVC sign.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I assumed they would just put a green bandage over it and edit it out in post like Imperator Furiosa's arm...

Afterwards sure, but you can't do that for the scene where you lose it. Well you can but it's probably cheaper to use a prosthetic.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched Avengement because of this thread and yeah, it was really good. Really enjoyed the action film via gritty crime film thing it had going on, and the fights were brutal. I was so happy to see people spit up fake blood instead of crappy CGI blood.

:same:
I'm going to have to start going thru Scott Adkin's back catalog now.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yes. Dougray Scott was originally cast as Wolverine but had to drop out because MI2 ran long.

Though given Jackman’s talent level I’d probably lean more toward “MI2 reshoots killed Dougray Scott’s career” :(

And MI2 ran long because Tom Cruise was delayed by Kubrick needing him for more Eyes Wide Shut filming. Such is the circle of life.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I assume the only reason he didn't piss on the corpses was prostate issues.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

That's one of those coffee / snack stands large buildings have so the workers don't have to leave the building. I wonder if the Starbucks employee running it was also Hydra.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Payndz posted:

Dredd started filming first, IIRC, but The Raid was first to be released. (Something I read once suggested that The Raid's creator almost certainly saw the Dredd script before shooting his own movie, but the two films are different enough in style and specifics that the basic concept of 'cops trapped in a tower block have to fight their way to the final boss' is really the biggest similarity.)

Yeah, post production and studio fuckery caused Dredd's release to be after The Raid's despite being filmed first.
Also Dredd had some great use of 3D in it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Given everything surrounding that movie, it's possible the trailers show the entirety of Chan's and Schwarzenegger's scenes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speaking of, he did one of those Wired twitter question things. How could you not love this man? He's lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6uJj5jk3rU

He was also on Joe Dante & Josh Olsen's Movies That Made Me podcast recently talking about what action movies influenced him growing up.
https://trailersfromhell.com/podcast/scott-adkins/

duz
Jul 11, 2005

married but discreet posted:

Nemesis 2 is the sequel to Albert Puyn's strangely dope and influental 1992 cyberpunk action movie Nemesis. It trades genderfluid cyborg gunplay with being bizarrely horny for an extremely muscular white East African tribal bikini babe and a weak predator knockoff sent back in time by the machines to kill her. It could have been way worse for such a disastrously sounding pastiche of many better movies, but I was entertained throughout.

Also the predator knockoff was played by John Wick's Chad Stahelski who walked off set so the bad guy just sort of disappears for awhile before becoming an obviously different person wearing the suit.

midge posted:

There is 5 Nemesis movies.

FIVE.

The third one is a clip show of the first two movies.

I've seen 14 of Albert Pyun's movies and someday I will get to see all of them.

duz fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 28, 2020

duz
Jul 11, 2005

married but discreet posted:

I second this request, rank all Pyuns

Without thinking so hard and just going by how much I remember enjoying watching it and not on quality:
Cyborg (1989)
Nemesis (1992)
Captain America (1990)
Arcade (1993)
The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982)
Vicious Lips (1986)
Nemesis 2: Nebula (1995)
Radioactive Dreams (1985)
Kickboxer 2: The Road Back (1991)
Dollman (1991)
Knights (1993)
Nemesis 4: Death Angel (1996)
Nemesis 3: Time Lapse (1996)
Kickboxer 4: The Aggressor (1994)

Special mention to The Alien from L.A. (1988) which I've only seen the MST3k version so far so I don't count it but it'd probably be #5.
There's enough in his oeuvre that I'll probably get to 20 before I leave him for good.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

I didn't know he did kickboxer 2 and 4. Those are both pretty good and also really different from each other. Kickboxer 4 is especially interesting since one of the machado brothers is in it. It also has a very graphic sex scene about halfway through that feels like its cut in from a different movie. Also, its take on Tong Po is way stranger and funnier than the other films. It's hard not to get on board with him as he bounces his knees watching people beat each other to death.

Those are the reasons why it's last for me. Tong Po should've been a different character, that way it would've been ok that he was completely different, in Mexico and a drug dealer. And they wouldn't have had to put the actor in an appliance to look Asian.

dokmo posted:

You have to see Mean Guns, his Tarantino ripoff with mambo music and a Highlander and I think ice t, which had a decent budget for once.

That and Rutger Hauer's Omega Doom are the next two.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I really wouldn't. I watched it as a random pick from my cyberpunk playlist and it has no redeeming features other than Rutger.

That puts it ahead of many other movies I have seen.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

According to imdb he wasn't supposed to catch on fire but he did and just went with it which if true means yeah it was him and later scenes where he was supposed to be on fire would be the proper stunt or maybe he told them to slather him up in case of another mistake.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

The sequels are barely related to the first one. They're barely related to each other. The third one is just leftover footage from the second one. The fourth one is set decades after the other two. The fifth one probably doesn't actually exist. They're actually really interesting, if not good. Pyun, as a director, is kind of inept, but he's got a fuckload of ideas and tries to jam them all into every film he makes, regardless of whether he can afford it or pull it off.

I've watched the fifth one. It's as related to the others as much as the others are related to each other. You know how the fourth has three filming locations? An apartment, the alley behind it and the garage at the end of the alley? The fifth is like that except it's a bar, the alley behind it and a nearby field. You can also feel the absence of Pyun.

duz fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 18, 2021

duz
Jul 11, 2005

PeterCat posted:

Has anyone seen the Forever Purge?

Any good? It looks a little muddled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrXpK-rUaI

It's as enjoyable as the others, also just as unsubtle.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Dollop just did a three parter on Seagal and they cover that stuff. He was also mobbed up so the movies might have been favors/money laundering as well.

Shageletic posted:

Feels like with Seagal, he was carried by the production and actors around him. He's this weird squinty dude flapping his arms around and running hilariously while Tommy Lee Jones or Henry Silva actually carry the movie.

His movies never did feel like they needed him over someone else in that role.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Also watched the Female Prisoner Scorpion series recently. These are a series of 70s Japanese exploitation film about a woman (Meiko Kaji, Lady Snowblood herself) sent to prison due to some poo poo her boyfriend, a corrupt cop, pulled. The subject matter here is kind of trashy at times, as you would expect from the genre and subject matter, with rape and violence against women and all that. Yet I think there was a real attempt by director Shunya Ito to elevate the work to something more. As the series progresses you get more of these touches of surrealism, and even in the more straightforward stuff there's a lot of character in the visual language Ito uses, it reminds me a lot of a Raimi film with the some of the camera work. And of course Meiko gives this perfect death stare the entire time, she doesn't even need any lines to be a memorable protagonist. It's a bit hard to recommend something like this given the subject matter, but I really found it entertaining. These are movies were the studio greenlit the first one for the titillation factor but the director actually took the work seriously and made something unique. The second film was by far and away the best.

I got to see a screening of Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 on the big screen. It's such a pretty movie, it's a shame about the sexual assaults. That movie series are real diamonds in the rough of Japanese exploitation films.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

PeterCat posted:

Did anyone see the Stallone cut of Rocky IV?

How was it?

It's interesting seeing some of the alternate takes and cut scenes. But apparently the "If he dies, he dies" line only had one take cause it's just wedged in there despite not matching the new cut.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

He was tired and let some 25 year old previs artist mostly direct it.

He was probably working on The Post.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s me, the one person who likes Alien From LA. Dude made fun movies and I need to see more.

I'll always have a soft spot for it since it was the first MST3k episode I saw.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I'm at 20 of his movies watched, should set aside some time to knock out the rest.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

They are very funny for how bad he is in them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The poor JVC logo, taken from us in the home video release of Highlander: Endgame.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I know it's not, but I would love for this to be a crossover with the Tom Berenger Sniper series which recently had it's 9th movie released and is somehow still watchable.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Dredd 3D also had the extra fun of the drug scenes messed with the 3D in a way you couldn't reproduce in the 2D version.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Karl Urban owns but if they were going to cast someone that's 50+ old to be Johnny Cage it was idiotic for them to not just say gently caress it and get Jean Claude Van Damme to do it.

Only if they follow it up with a Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat movie where he fights himself.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

FX2 on the other hand is a masterpiece

You're right, the Fast X sequel should use a less confusing abbreviation, how about FFX-2?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Digital blood is so they don't have to decide if the movie is PG or R until after they're done filming and marketing runs the numbers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ptuto.tv regularly does MI marathons, it's how I rewatched MI2 for the first time since theaters. It's a lot better than my impression back then. Cruise's hair still looks terrible in it tho.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Chocolate goes HARD

Whatever happened to the lead actor? She was amazing.

She's popped up here and there in small roles as a tough, her last big role was in Triple Threat.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I watched it Friday, it reminded me a lot of his Cutie Honey (2004) movie which is also worth watching if you like that genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

It's bizarre how often Bricklayer/Beekeeper situations seem to come up in Hollywood. It's like the Deep Impact/Armageddon situation, or Volcano/Dante's Peak, it seems like once or twice every decade you'll have the same premise made into two separate movies in the same year.

More often than that if you are looser in how you define same premise
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films