Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Match Tonight?
This poll is closed.
Jinder Mahal vs Randy Orton - Punjabi Prison 9 10.59%
John Cena vs Rusev - Flag Match 3 3.53%
Usos vs The New Day - Tag Title Match 11 12.94%
AJ Styles vs Kevin Owens - US Title Match 22 25.88%
Shinsuke Nakamura vs Baron Corbin 5 5.88%
Women's 5-Way Match 1 1.18%
Sami Zayn vs Mike Kanellis 0 0%
Tye Dillinger vs Aiden English 3 3.53%
Forget that, Bad Luck Fale must pay! 31 36.47%
Total: 85 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For the fifth time, it's WWE Battleground, and for the third time Randy Orton is in the main event. Last year Dean Ambrose defended his title successfully against Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins, his former teammates/brothers in The Shield, marking a strong start for Smackdown post the brand split/draft. Now a year later, the Champion is Jinder Mahal, a baffling fact that grows more baffling with each passing day. After continually defeating Randy Orton by just having exactly the same match structure every single time, Mahal has made the baffling decision to demand the battle be held in a Punjabi Prison, where his associates the Singh Brothers will not be able to distract Orton/otherwise interfere. There has never been a good Punjabi Prison match, will this match continue in that vein or break with tradition and actually be good.

Randy Orton Battle Facts:
13 Time World Champion
Disgraced former Marine
Hears voices in his head but to date has not undergone treatment for PTSD
Comes from St Louis, where a soldier in drag once took an entire militia prisoner and kicked off a riot. Nothing that cool will happen in this match.

Jinder Mahal Battle Facts:
1 Time World Champion, 1 Time Member of the 3 Man Band
Dislikes YOU PEOPLE who hate him because of the color of his skin and the way he talks
Would like to speak to HIS people in HIS language (but then speaks Indian, instead of Canadian-English)
Comes from Canada, which once burned down the White House. This is unlikely to happen during the show but given the current state of affairs all bets are off.
Has Indian heritage. India was once the Jewel in the British Crown, and now Vince McMahon would like to make Indian fake social media accounts the Jewel in his WWE Crown.

John Cena returned to Smackdown for the first time since Wrestlemania prepared to face anybody, anywhere at any time and get as much out of whatever time is left to the aging star. Rusev, however, felt that this was coming at the expense of a young star like himself, and given Cena's return was on July 4th he had a few things to say about America too. So Cena challenged him to a fight, but Rusev wanted to wait till Battleground, and Cena accepted - and what would be better suited to Battleground than a flag match? The American and Bulgarian flags will be set on opposite turnbuckles, and the first to retrieve his flag wins the match and glory for his country.

John Cena Battle Facts:
16 Time World Champion.
May have been tricked into proposing to his girlfriend.
Wears his dogtags and represents the armed forces with great pride. Has never actually served in any military capacity.
Comes from America, which has literally never lost a single war at any point in history and never will!

Rusev Battle Facts:
Has never been World Champion
Sabotaged Shane McMahon's helicopter and crashed it into the water
Rode a loving tank into Wrestlemania once
Bulgaria kicked a lot of rear end in World War I but was still on the losing side. Rusev may be the literal personification of Bulgaria :ohdear:

At Money in the Bank, New Day and the Usos had an extremely good match that ended poorly when the Usos walked out and took a countout loss. Since then they've had a battle-rap where the most memorable lines were quickly edited out in subsequent replays. This rematch is a straight-up tag team match so there is no reason why the Usos wouldn't be able to just walk out of it again, beyond the New Day being aware that this is a possibility now.

New Day Battle Facts:
Two thirds of New Day are American, the other third is half American, but they're also all black so I'm gonna stop talking about them in terms of fractions :ohdear:

Usos Battle Facts:
Samoa has been through two Civil Wars, with the losing side presumably not allowed to be in the Anoaʻi family.

AJ Styles defeated Kevin Owens at a Madison Square Garden House Show, derailing Owens' "Face of America" program and his attempts to coast through easy title defenses by giving "Championship Opportunities" to local jobbers. When AJ tried to reinstitute the US Open Challenge popularized by John Cena, Cena was the first person to answer it, but Owens joined Rusev in attacking them both, then Owens demanded his championship rematch at Battleground, ending any opportunity for the US Open Challenge to return till after Battleground at the very earliest.

AJ Styles Battle Facts:
Spent a decade in TNA, which may be some kind of war crime.
Comes from Georgia, which suffered during the Civil War, but not as badly as AJ Styles who was in TNA for a decade.
I mean.... Jesus Christ.

Kevin Owens Battle Facts:
So fully committed to victory that it will come at the expense of even his closest friends if necessary.
So fully committed to victory that it will come at the expense of even his closest friends if unnecessary.
Even when not really that fussed about victory, will allow it to come at the expense of his closest friends.

Shinsuke Nakamura and Baron Corbin have been clashing since the former's arrival in Smackdown, with Corbin determined to prove that Shinsuke isn't as big a deal as he has made himself out to be. Shinsuke generally comes out okay in these exchanges, often with the upper hand or otherwise outsmarting him, but Corbin has the ace up his sleeve of the Money in the Bank briefcase.

Shinsuke Nakamura Battle Facts:
The King of Strong Style, which is doubly impressive as Japan doesn't have any Kings.
Like many great leaders in history, is extraordinarily charismatic.
In World War 2.... actually let's just move on.

Baron Corbin Battle Facts:
Not actually a Baron.
Even if he was, a Baron is outranked by a King.

With Lana getting multiple title shots and failing, the question became who would be the next challenge to Naomi's now-glowing championship belt. Nattie, Charlotte, Becky and Tamina all argued for their cases, and Lana got dragged along for the ride as Shane McMahon declared they would face off in a Fatal-Fiveway for a title shot at Summerslam.

Women Battle Facts:
Stephanie McMahon created the Women's Revolution, marking the first time in world history that women were given equal treatment with men. Thank God for Stephanie McMahon.

Sami Zayn has accidentally stumbled his way into a feud with Mike Kanellis, the husband of Maria Kanellis.

Sami Zayn Battle Facts:
You can donate to Sami for Syria here

Mike Kanellis Battle Facts:
He married Maria Kanellis, he's already won the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Half the card could be really drat good, but the specter of Jinder in the main, plus the lovely Punjabi Prison, plus the malaise from the long string of mediocre to bad PPVs and my hype levels for this show are :geno:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AJ vs Owens and Cena vs Rusev are probably gonna be great, but yeah I can't see the main being any good outside of the small chance that Corbin cashes in at the end.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Based on the title of this thread and a post I saw in the WWE thread, is paid attendance for this actually projected to be really abnormally low, or is that just in reference to how weak the build has been

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

Based on the title of this thread and a post I saw in the WWE thread, is paid attendance for this actually projected to be really abnormally low

Tickets are rarely ever discounted to as low as $25 for a PPV for good reasons, yes

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
can't wait for tonight's empty arena match

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Reminder that Breezeango is supposedly finding and facing their stick man office wreckers tonight as well.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Is this the first D tier PPV? It actually feels more worthless than Fastlane.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Battleground was so good last year what happened :smith:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I remember when I went to the 1st Punjabi Prison match at Conseco's Great American Bash... such a shitastic match... that entire PPV was rubbish...

At least I still have a lovely sleep shirt from the event though.

Let's see if this one matches it :getin:

Now that I think about the tickets I got for that event we're 20 bucks :laffo:

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 23, 2017

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Spiffster posted:

I remember when I went to the 1st Punjabi Prison match at Conseco's Great American Bash... such a shitastic match... that entire PPV was rubbish...

At least I still have a lovely sleep shirt from the event though.

Let's see if this one matches it :getin:

Now that I think about the tickets I got for that event we're 20 bucks :laffo:

Didn't that GAB have the weird Regal vs. Finlay match? Where they kept going hard on poo poo the crowd didn't care about at all.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wont be watching

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
gently caress you, Fale :mad:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Procrastinator posted:

Didn't that GAB have the weird Regal vs. Finlay match? Where they kept going hard on poo poo the crowd didn't care about at all.

Been awhile but I'm pretty sure it was the US championship match. Most of what I remembered from it were the Prison Match and the Heavyweight Championship match. Main event wasn't terrible but not great either...

Also the card was plagued with announced matches and appearances that didn't happen due to medical issues (great Khali and Lashley) that Regal v Finlay match was one of the results.

Haven't been to a live event since :sigh:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nothing on this card is gonna get near as much heat as Fale murdering :daryl: or Big Mike/Juice had

I mean it's hard for any PPV to compete with the first 4 days of this G1 but this card is especially bad as a PPV

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The best part about this show is that Dolph Ziggler is not on the card

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

The best part about this show is that Dolph Ziggler is not on the card

I'm actually a bit upset about it to be honest. I feel he gets a bad rap. This heel gimmick is causing him to flounder really bad though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Procrastinator posted:

Reminder that Breezeango is supposedly finding and facing their stick man office wreckers tonight as well.

poo poo I forgot all about that, it wasn't on WWE's Battleground page (that I could see at least) when I put the thread together.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

cheese sandwich posted:

Battleground was so good last year what happened :smith:

jinder

i wonder how much of the punjabi prison match will actually be visible

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bad Luck Fale ripping up a stuffed animal got more heat than anything on this show will

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the wwe sucks and this show will similarly suck

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

should i watch this or start watching the G1

G1 upsides:
-The wrestling will absolutely be better in every conceivable way
-I'm already behind so I won't miss anything by stopping at any point if I get tired of hours upon hours of wrestling
-I get to see Daryl before he was brutally murdered by the villain Bad Luck Fale :daryl:

Battleground upsides:
-I get to post with all of you, my good friends in the WWE Presents Battleground LIVE THREAD!
-I get to stay on the cutting edge of the WWE product by watching their most recent PPV in real time!

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

dromal phrenia posted:

should i watch this or start watching the G1

G1 upsides:
-The wrestling will absolutely be better in every conceivable way
-I'm already behind so I won't miss anything by stopping at any point if I get tired of hours upon hours of wrestling
-I get to see Daryl before he was brutally murdered by the villain Bad Luck Fale :daryl:

Battleground upsides:
-I get to post with all of you, my good friends in the WWE Presents Battleground LIVE THREAD!
-I get to stay on the cutting edge of the WWE product by watching their most recent PPV in real time!

hmm should i watch a live disaster or a prerecorded thing i can watch at any point in my life until i am dead

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm kinda dealing with great match fatigue from the G1 so the Punjabi Prison will be a nice refresher to let me realize how great the G1 matches are.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
THere's a PPV tonight? OOOOHHH.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Bill Goldberg posted:

hmm should i watch a live disaster or a prerecorded thing i can watch at any point in my life until i am dead

yes that is the question, you poo butt rear end

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

dromal phrenia posted:

yes that is the question, you poo butt rear end

oh i didnt realize you had the same question, i quoted you on accident

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Please let Breezango vs Mystery opponents be the headliner.

Pretty Please.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

GOOD NEWS YOU KNUCKLEHEADS, I JUST TURNED ON THE PRESHOW

for some reason the part of this commercial where the girl says "take the shot!" really annoys me

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

that little kid just flashed the pepe hand signal, alt-right invasion begins TONIGHT

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I just looked at that Sam guy and immediately shouted "Who the gently caress is that? Who the gently caress is that?" at my screen... that was unfair of me, he's done nothing to me

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont watch this ppv, watch scarface instead. YOU ARE WELCOME

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh they're in Philly?

hahahahaha

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Spiffster posted:

I'm actually a bit upset about it to be honest. I feel he gets a bad rap. This heel gimmick is causing him to flounder really bad though.

i was gonna try to make a joke or a pun out of 'bad rap' but i said gently caress it because dolph ziggler is fuckign trash and not worth the effort and youre wrong, incredibly

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jenny Angel posted:

I just looked at that Sam guy and immediately shouted "Who the gently caress is that? Who the gently caress is that?" at my screen... that was unfair of me, he's done nothing to me

Sam Roberts has probably done something, considering the company he keeps.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Jenny Angel posted:

not while you were awake, he didnt

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

MotU posted:

i was gonna try
to make a joke or a pun
out of 'bad rap' but
i said gently caress it
because dolph ziggler
is fuckign trash and not worth the effort
and youre wrong, incredibly

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
ziggler is trash and deserves nothing more than scorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or watch brams stocker dracula with a lady friend, but watch your neck if she gets crazy

• Locked thread