Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's another thing that Trek in the '90s really did wrong: piss away any dramatic focus that showed the Federation as being less than perfect. Just because you take away the need for survival doesn't mean humans stop being assholes, jerks, or bigots.

Tons of episodes have Picard arguing with command about what the greater moral good is though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Reminds me how Seinfeld's famous "not that there's anything wrong with that" episode has aged pretty poorly. At the time it was funny because it was leaning into the NYC attitude of "ok we're accepting the gay community but give us a minute here," but now it's very much stuck in that time and feels juvenile.

Eh I think it still works actually since weirdness around "i may be accepting of the gay community but im terrified someone might think I'm gay" is still quite common.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

This fan-image gives context to the EEE Purgatory theory and makes a great deal of sense:

...does it? Does it really?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lucy and Ricky weren't even allowed to be shown sleeping in the same bed. The first on-screen couple to do so were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

Depending on how you interpret it, it was arguably the first TV inter-racial couple in the US. Desi Arnaz was Cuban but also White so it got around that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The kids collapsed the wtc on top of him. Next film we see him climb out of the rubble.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Seriously thats dumb. The entire point of WotW is that the smallest thing we take for granted brings down a mighty empire. Bioengineering a virus is just "humans rule!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ariong posted:

It's a TV show though. It's not like the characters will break up even though the writers wanted them to stay together.

It's almost like asking someone to go gay though. It's not exactly the same since sexuality is generally a lot more concrete whereas monogamous relationships are a cultural construct but that doesn't mean people are just kinda willing to go with it. The fact that someone doesn't want to engage in a relationship like that would be a perfectly valid reason.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Imagine a venn diagram where the two circles are labeled "Tumblr" and "obese"

I assume you mean outside of this because you hosed it up.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

They made the right call by making their first film about toys so the less detailed textures and stilted animation still look appropriate.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm not sure it aged out all that fast. It lasted a really long time and only seems short in hindsight. Hell, its still going so somebody is watching it.

Especially now that people have wider exposure to more media, more stuff has shorter shelf lives. The whole brony phenomenon seems surreal as hell now, I mean it was then too but its hard to believe not that long ago these forums were rooting out grown men watching a little girls cartoon, like we used to do furries.

And now of course its stephen universe but thatll be replaced soon too I'm sure.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Sep 3, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Does a show really count as "not aging well" if it happens in a certain era and accurately depicts how people acted and what they believed in that era? Reading through this whole thread and most of the "character x was sexist/racist/etc." stuff makes sense to me and makes shows unwatchable, but sometimes it's like how do you expect them to portray someone somewhere when people were totally sexist?

I'm not talking about the current 90s stuff, and I'm genuinely asking.

I think it has a lot to do with how were supposed to see the character. Many earlier shows you see casual misogyny, homophobia, etc. And that character is still the hero and were meant to laugh with them.

You can portray these things but you gotta kinda nudge people to say they shouldn't see it as condoning these things.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Old Simpsons has aged pretty poorly in that it was super transgressive for the time but now it mostly comes off as a bunch of smug Ivy Leaguers making the most bland mockery of suburban families possible. The fact that they go to church especially, I remember hearing that when the episode where Lisa is afraid that Homer is going to hell for stealing cable aired internationally a lot of people were puzzled by the idea of anybody still thinking that Hell was a real thing.

Is that really weird though? Kids are easily intimidated by that, especially given how many posts on the internet will rant how they were traumatized for life by stories of Hell in Sunday school. Early episodes of the Simpsons tried to play up Lisa as a smart kid but still a kid, she only became an unrealistic genius as the Flanders effect kicked in.

It does comes off as super weird knowing she becomes a Buddhist later though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

They do still sell flip phones, albeit as budget options for stubborn old people and people who need cheap or rugged phones and don't care about bells and whistles. I think you see them today as shorthand for 'out of date' and/or 'cheap'.

Also drug dealers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I thought Drug Dealers just used those apps that give you a new phone number? poo poo like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adhoclabs.burner

Whatever the reality is I was more comnenting on them being hollywood shorthand for drug dealers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Originally they wanted Flanders to be more of an overt nemesis to Homer, but when Harry Shearer tried a voice on the studio felt he sounded like such a nice guy they made him basically the perfect neighbor. Being religious but not weirdly so was just part of the nice guy image.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

What's really sad is I thought that was hilarious when I was a kid cause there's no possible way I could have known what prejudice against trans people was like

I mean I'm trans and at the time I thought it was funny. Most of us were ignorant about it then.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

There was an episode of Bullshit about the fitness industry and they raised some valid points but the overall message was Penn screaming "I'm just big booooned!" into the void.

I gave up on the show when they started defending sweatshops.

Dont forget "The Americans with Disabilities Act is a sham to make those with handicaps feel less capable!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

I read "Finders Keeper" recently, not having read King before.
It was decent enough, but there were a lot of pop culture references to stuff that's big now like Game of Thrones that served no purpose but made me think of how dated the book would be to anyone reading it ten years from now.

Yeah that's...a lot of King honestly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I learned everything I know from The Simpsons and they called the French cheese-eating surrender monkeys

a surprisingly redpilled take from the normally Liberal writers

The writers have gone on record that it was meant to be a pithy shot and not really political and I actually believe them because Willie is just meant to be a misanthrope.

They never expected that phrase to maintain the shelf life it did.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Superman was "de-powered" gradually after the silver age and then took a big hit after Crisis on Infinite Earths. But yeah the old "literally invincible" Superman still somehow hangs in people's minds.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It just means the power rangers kill virus can affect through second hand contact. Any of us who watched it as kids are hosed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Angel Cop is horribly antisemitic? I remember watching that years ago via Manga Entertainment and never once caught that. That's insane on its own standards, even if the show itself had some interesting visuals, like the face that appears in the fog only to be revealed as a severed head being held by some monster. That's pretty sad, really.

The English translation removed the anti semitism because there was NO way itd fly here where its a huge sore spot. In the original Japanese version its literally "The Jews are behind this". Not even like a Jewish analogue, literally "The Jews did this".

I cant say for certain if the author is an antisemite but im leaning towards probably not. Just lack of cultural diversity.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, Sho Aikawa is completely loving nuts even by Japanese standards and has written a bunch of other incredibly bonkers, weirdly right-wing poo poo. The 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist series was his baby too, and that goes in a... relatedly weird direction that I don't wanna spoil for those who haven't seen it (it's a legit cool idea in a vacuum).

Oh dear. That's uncomfortable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I saw it back when I was a Weeaboo dork in high school and don't remember it well enough to know what you're talking about so yeah please just spoiler tag it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I feel like when you're immersed in the anime subculture you start overlooking at lot of the weird stuff because you're just getting sensory overload from weirdness at all angles.

With the benefit of hindsight though, goddamn.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah, like, I'm an anime fan and I'm the one pointing this poo poo out as completely off the reservation

there's stuff you end up being jaded to, but Nazi dimensional portals showing up in a series that previously had literally nothing to do with Nazis beyond one piece of shared terminology is... not among that stuff

I think like in my head I accepted the world of FMA as an alternate reality to our own because there were a lot of themes similar to WW2 like the "totally not Jewish/Roma" analogue, similar to like Valkyria chronicles. So jumping over to our timeline I dunno...worked for me?

The thing is I know I saw Conqueror of Shamballa but I cannot remember a single loving thing about it which seems so weird now that you're telling me all this poo poo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNa-ocdryY
Warms my cold Jewish heart every time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Archer season 1 had some characters lile Ray and Krieger only have a few one off lines and developing into full characters by season 2.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was that before or after the Simpsons had an episode that did that for real?

Re: Eddie Murphy: what was his downfall? He did SNL then he went on to have one of the best movie careers of any comedic actor of the 1980s (48 Hrs., Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop, Beverly Hills Cop II, The Golden Child, Coming To America - even if some of these weren't works of genius, they still made a lot of money) then he had The Nutty Professor and Dr Doolittle in the mid-90s, then after that it seems like it's just the Shrek movies that were big hits.

Even Norbit, which did make money, is probably more notorious for costing him an Oscar than anything else.

I feel like it must have happened before Pluto Nash.

As he got older he kinda transitioned away from his edgy comedy to being more family-friendly, though I'm not sure if that was willing or unwillingly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ya know how people in the UK and Australia are absolutely befuddled that Americans have such an aversion to the C word? It's basically the inverse to that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The creator of Itchy and Scratchy is also a riff on Walt Disney with the whole "Nazi Supermen Are Our Superiors" line.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I assume what they meant was that it's illegal to drive and use a phone in Washington today.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Torquemada posted:

So having guns makes people rob you? If I was an American thief, I’d do my best to rob unarmed people: much less chance of getting shot.

Careful, that's a literal argument gun nuts use unironically.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

In the commentary for You Only Move Twice the writers comment that the worst aged joke in the show is when Lisa and Barts new rich school has a web url. The joke at the time was the school was so loaded it had its own web page. Now it's not even a joke.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah it still works as a joke, now it's just the absurdity of a major well known actor being a waiter.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pretty much all the negative stuff against her is before that, typical early-90s lol feminists stuff, much of it is still used against feminists today, so it's aged very well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Obviously the 90s werent the worst time to be LGBT but its when exposure to the mainstream was really ramping up and the backlash was palatable. Elementary school kids saying fag or gay was acceptable behavior. You have to temper your expectations in basically any 90s show.

Edit: and while I agree its proof they've aged poorly, the point was picking out specific sitcoms is missing the forest for the trees.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Giraffes shouldn't be in theaters at all.

Ya know, you're part of the problem

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Not Operator posted:

Loosely speaking of which, I saw Citizen Kane for the first time like six years ago and I loved it, but all the way through I kept thinking of The Simpsons. They must have recreated basically every scene in that movie over the course of their first ten seasons. Its weirdly impressive.

In one of the episode commentaries, season...4 I think, they actually say that you could probably reproduce the entirety of the movie using Simpsons parodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

"This lesbian bar has no fire escapes! Enjoy your death trap, ladies."

"What was her problem?" Makes me laugh even though i know it ages poorly.