Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember people being upset when Robert Beltran was cast as a Native American, to the point he had to constantly remind people in interviews that the U.S. wasn't the only part of America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I mean by that point there were, what, like 25 total of them left on the Earth?

On Earth yeah, but the Federation gave them a whole planet. And then ceded the planet over to the Romulons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ariong posted:

Ah, how generous! A whole planet, reserved just for them, a reservation if you will.

Yeah it was an episode that took the "wagon train to the stars" a little too much on the nose. The Enterprise shows up to relocate the Native Americans but they refuse because the planet is where the spirits told them to live.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've just been informed there's an episode of Mr.Belvedere where a kid has AIDS and actually says "Well I have AIDS, but other than that, I'm pretty good!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SE1SWashuU

Fuckin' incredible. There's also a REALLY off-color racial joke in episode that I shan't spoil. I just found this series, seems good.

Is it not aging well if it's dealing with an issue that's gotten better since? In the 80s, before blood donations were screened for HIV, kids getting infected with the virus was a serious issue. Because the virus was so poorly understood the kids often ended up being treated like lepers, so a lot of family sitcoms back then had special episodes about treating these kids like human beings and not pariahs.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Depends, did he get the dominant genes or the inferior recessive ones?

Well he was certainly one of the terrible children.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Krispy Wafer posted:

But what if he was North Korea?

I can't recall if they ever said what Korea. I do remember a shortwave radio and some kind of spy plotline though.

That was just a red herring to make you think he was North Korean. They flashback to it when his master plan is revealed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I enjoyed the Dennis Leary one a lot, because that's very much Leary's persona and style of comedy.

That was the real tipping point for the whole idea. Prior to Leary's they were all Friar's Club roasts so it was basically a lifetime achievement award and was treated as such. Leary wanted one and hosed off and did his own when the Friar's Club said no. Now it's just whatever D list celebrity wants to have one and fill the dias with people they barely know.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Not even Gaiman buys that;

“Back in November I was tracked down by a Scotsman journalist who had noticed the similarities between my Tim Hunter character and Harry Potter, and wanted a story. And I think I rather disappointed him by explaining that, no, I certainly *didn't* believe that Rowling had ripped off Books of Magic, that I doubted she'd read it and that it wouldn't matter if she had: I wasn't the first writer to create a young magician with potential, nor was Rowling the first to send one to school. It's not the ideas, it's what you do with them that matters.

Genre fiction, as Terry Pratchett has pointed out, is a stew. You take stuff out of the pot, you put stuff back. The stew bubbles on.

(As I said to the Scotsman journalist, the only thing that was a mild bother was that in the BOOKS OF MAGIC movie Warners is planning, Tim Hunter can no longer be a bespectacled, 12 year old English kid. But given the movie world I'll just be pleased if he's not played by a middle-aged large-muscled Austrian.)

Not sure how this has transmuted into "Gaiman has accused Rowling of ripping him off." But I suppose it's a better story than the truth.”

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty much the only thing Timothy Hunter has in common with Harry Potter is the general appearance and having an owl. I mean the biggest difference is that Tim doesn't go to a magic school.

I can’t find it but I know in an interview Gaiman straight out says that if you walk into any mall in England half the kids will look exactly like Tim/Harry.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One day I will write the worst book ever written. It's about a writer struggling with writer's block, who is also a college professor who is contemplating adultery with a female student half his age. There's also a parallel story about post-war Vienna for some reason.

We should team up after I finish writing the scripts I'm working on, one is about an angel observing an old man wistful for his lost youth and his grandson desperate to grow up. They share a birthday so when they both make their wish at the same time nothing happens because wishes aren't real and neither are angels .

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

the_steve posted:

Just realized something that hasn't aged well (never really was well at all, but I digress), though it seems to also be long dead: the word "wigger."

Pretty sure it got coined around the same time that Eminem started getting big, and for awhile you were always seeing examples of it.

Hell, I forgot all about them until a few minutes ago watching an old South Park rerun and realized I couldn't remember the last time they were a thing.

Goes back to early 90s when skateboarding and urban aesthetics starting merging. Had to find some way to deride the white kids with baggy pants and dreadlocks/cornrows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

OPAONI posted:

Apparently he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

The below the line crew on Spider-Man took up a collection and offered Joe Mangienello $500 to accidentally knock him during their on screen fight.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I also think it's likely he just made up most of his stories about doing horrible sadistic things to people. You can't just confess to dozens of crimes in writing and public speeches, sometimes naming specific personal enemies he supposedly had who were out for revenge and might mail a copy of the essay to the police. He was probably just mean all the time.

He wrote a personal cease and desist letter to my college professor for handing out an 11 page short story of his in a packet of short stories for class. The campus had maybe 150 students enrolled at any one time.

The man had a penchant for being absolutely right in the absolutely wrongest way possible.

Edit: When the sci fi channel was young every Sunday they'd air a sci fi literature and news show. They had Harlan Ellison give the weekly Andy Rooney style editorial. I haven't seen any of them in almost 30 years but it's how I was introduced to him and they left an impression alright.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Jul 27, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

He was also a tremendous pervo.

Comes with the Heroin. I won't say all, since everyone is unique, but for most people Heroin overloads the dopamine receptors so badly that normal sources just don't really register as well as deadening your sense of touch. Then, when you're off for a few weeks, you got the lovely cocktail of both situations over overcorrecting at the same time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well yeah, their target demo is a portion of America that uses Urban as code for black and New Yorker as code for Jewish. On course a city is a scary place to them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The best part of hallmark Christmas movies is being slowly driven insane by the Christmas ads.

I’m looking at you, Hyuandai.

https://youtu.be/WcEylCwkSxE

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or the fact that they're not trans men but pretending to be men because their girlfriend have hang ups about being with a woman.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CharlestheHammer posted:

No I mean none of the stuff posted seems crucial. Adaptations are already pretty lose with that stuff so they don’t need anything.

Look at the Boys they cleaned that adaptation up a lot.

Which is good, because that comic was gross

It's not, it's just a bit of world building and wasn't intended to be transphobic but can be read that way. the character in question stumbles on Yorrick pretty early in the series as a side story about how people are coping. They reveal that some of the women weren't adapting very well so other women starting cutting their hair short and wearing fake beards to look more masculine to help them adapt. It wasn't really sexual identity and more performative like drag.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rochallor posted:

You could probably make a good adaptation out of Y: The Last Man that incorporates trans themes better, but somehow I don't see this being the one.

One aspect I remember liking that I doubt they'll keep is the origin of the death of men: there isn't one. There's a few different hypothetical origins, like a bioweapon or an amulet being stolen from a tomb, but nothing ever goes beyond speculation. It's really hard to see something like that in a YouTube-explainer, theory crafting, puzzle box-obsessed media environment.

I googled around a bit, a transwoman is one of the lead writers and they've created an original character that's a transman and cast an actual transman in the role. So it seems like they recognize that understanding of gender has changed in the last 20 years and are approaching it with their heart in the right place.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ZombieLenin posted:

So does German; however, English has completely dropped the gendering on non-living things… unless you count the gendering of ships, which in English are often given female gender pronouns… that’s about it.

As I understand it, English largely lost its gendered nouns after the Norman invasion. French became the preferred language of the aristocracy and educated for 2-300 years with English being kept alive among the peasentry. By the time English was reasserted as the dominant language it had evolved from its vulgar origin to be more utilitarian by dropping some of the more extraneous parts such as gendered objects.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Classic Rock Stations seem to be 70s to Early 2000s now.

The existential dread of what is going to happen in 10 years to these stations is already making me feel old.

Same thing they're doing now. Radio stations will be proclaiming they're playing the biggest hits from the '80s, 90s and Now!' For the next 20 years.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

rodbeard posted:

Coonskin has the same problem as coal black and de sebben dwarfs in that it outlasted everything it was a satire of. Brer Rabbit was adapted from a traditional folk tale made retroactively racist by how bad of a job Disney did of telling it. It also came out before Disney had enough sense to try to bury any evidence that Song of the South existed. I guess it's also hard to say something didn't age well when it was always deliberately hard to watch.

Brer Rabbkt was racist long before Bisney got his hands on it. It was written phonetically by a well off white dude remembering the stories the sharecroppers on his farm would tell. Apocryphal stories talk about its a big reason Disney was so fond of it, 'it didn't feel the need to clean itself up for modern(for the 30s) audiences.' Like people in the 30s though Song of the South was too racist.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jedit posted:

That doesn't seem likely considering Song of the South was made in 1944. But even without considering the dates, I think it's really unlikely that more than a minority of white people in America were considering it racist in the 1940s. Half the outrage when it was released was Southern Whites protesting that it made blacks look good.

Disney may not ever have sold Song of the South on home media platforms in the USA, but they have sold it abroad. They also based their Splash Mountain ride on the movie in nineteen eighty-loving-nine and didn't announce that they were going to retheme it until last year.

I double checked, there was a number of protests around the country organized by various equal rights groups by apparently that came down to confusion about when it was set. Disney refused multiple requests from the Hayes Office to add even a establishing card that it was the 1870s, possibly for fear of offending The Daughters of the Confederacy but just as likely out of resentment for the Hayes Office constantly sticking their nose into Hollwood.

Apparently it was also made with grant money from the government as part of a propaganda campaign to celebrate America's victory over racism.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Precambrian posted:

Walt Disney legitimately believed that Song of the South would be this good and noble film that would bridge the gap over racial tensions in the post-war era. He, of course, fired their Black screenwriting consultant because he kept criticizing it, and refused to work with the NAACP when they expressed an interest, but he also campaigned hard for James Baskett (Uncle Remus) to be the first Black man nominated for an Oscar. The Academy gave him an honorary award, because it was 1948 and there was no way in hell they were going to let a Black man be nominated for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor.

On a similar note since this needs to be brought up whenever the Oscar's are concerned. Hattie McDaniel famously won Best Supporting Actress nine years earlier for Gone becoming the first black person to win. And learned she won in the radio 15 minutes later because black people weren't allowed to attend.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sorry didn't know how wrong I was about it, probably the premiere, sitting at the back of the hall and the story getting told and retold distorted it a bit on my memory.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or the bus boycott, which probably entailed the line of thought 'I should refuse to ride the bus and walk to where I'm going...but it's pretty hot today and I don't want to show up late and all sweaty. Definitely next week though, when it's a little cooler and I can leaver earlier.'

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

the_steve posted:

I remember news articles during EverQuest's heyday about people playing to death and committing suicide over losing rare loot. Like, sitting in a basement and obsessively playing a game was a joke well before South Park.

I'll admit I'm less certain of where poopsocking fits into the timeline.

Poopsocking wasn't video game related. Was just a dude who kept duffel bags of poop filled socks under his bed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cleretic posted:

It was co-opted at one point in the early 00s to refer to that specific practice, but in a quick google search I can't find when or how; Know Your Meme says about 2005-ish, but it only says that because that's when the Urban Dictionary page changed.

It might've been an Angry Video Game Nerd coining? He was starting to get popular around then, and it certainly sounds like his sort of humor.

IIRC, it was coined here. It was a famous thread about gross habits of people you know. One story was the poopsocks and another was of a roommate who used a bucket under his office chair for making GBS threads so he didn't have to get up during the launch of the new EQ expansion. I think it might've been that thread where a goon outed himself as disgusting since he ate his lunch while making GBS threads to save time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I just rewatched the Warcraft episode to see if I was missing something and it aged just fine. Replace Warcraft with Dead by Daylight and it's still pretty spot on.

Now, literally any political/social issues episode of South Park, those age badly as soon as they debut and just get worse.

At least with their climate change poo poo they've come out and said they regret being so dismissive and giving deniers a whole vocabulary of memes to do so too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neito posted:

HIMYM is definitely my go-to example of quote-unquote normal shows that dunk on trans people for no reason because they were acceptable punchlines in 2005 and a scene hadn't had a punchline yet. IIRC both Ted and Barney make some really gross trans jokes throughout the series.

My recollection is that only Marshall was a decent human being out of the main group of men, but that could just be me forgetting something.

House is gonna be mine, I'm giving it a rewatch and it's kind of surprising how regressive it is even during the moments where Hugh Laurie has to drop his guard and be compassionate.

He goes against the wishes of a deaf child and installs a cochlear implant and everyone stands up and claps for him, he reduces an intersex child to tears by constantly calling her a man despite being raised from birth as a woman and then cracks jokes about how her father must feel weird for molesting her now.

I shouldn't be too surprised since the creators current medical kit involves autism being a superpower.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And all through the 80s if a movie's villain was a real estate mogul, their scheme was usually based on something Trump or his father had caught doing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have never watched himym, but is it possible Barney got a mulligan because Neil Patrick Harris isn't rapey? Put Charlie Sheen in that role and it become problematic, but Doogie Howser? Obviously a parody hahaha. Can't take any of that behavior seriously.

Not excusing the character. It's a comedy and they're making jokes about sexual assault. But the actor they pick to play it seems to make a difference.

Nope, it mostly got a pass at the time because people didn't think that hard about consent. A lot of people fully understood and agreed with 'No means no' but they never dove to much further it to think that things other than No should mean No as well. Including legal precedent.

I mean a few years earlier you had Oz, a show about the dehumanizing and Vile treatment of prisoners, having several stories about guards sleeping with prisoners. The moral was always that it compromises the guards authority, not that they were raping these people.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Sep 1, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

christmas boots posted:

TBH it sounds like one of those things where they had NPH in for an audition and either he read for another part and they went with someone else but still wanted him, or they just had him read for the part and he killed it so they re-worked the character. If any of the schlubby character writing exists in the final product you'd find it in the pilot episode.

Pilots are weird like that. Like in Seinfeld you have a diner they never go to again, a waitress that never shows up again filling a vaguely Elaine-like role, no Elaine, Kramer is "Kessler" and also I think he knocks before entering

The showrunners have said his role in Harold & Kumar why they wanted him for the role and how they got the network to sign off on a former child star.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Other than being in NY and the real estate angle, was he really much of Trump? Like I know they said it and whatnot, but even besides the fact he's supremely likable, the whole TV angle, hands in every pie, the 'end of the world' news broadcast, and the 'Casablanca edit with a happy ending' all make him much more of a direct and overt Ted Turner parody.

Like maybe there's a tiny bit of Trump in there, but even putting aside how much of a likable guy Clamp is, everything in the movie paints him and his organization as more Turner than Trump.

He's a mix of both, they kept the traits pretty even too. He's got Trumps name, shameless self promotion, tacky taste in clothing and architecture. Turner's cable channel, hatred of B&W movies/TV, shameless self promotion and tacky taste in clothing and architecture.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AceOfFlames posted:

It was definitely this, since they had to shoot the finale without letting the kids age too much.

Yeah, they filmed that last scene with the kids after season 2 with the original plan they'd introduce Sarah Chalke's character in season 3 and have her be the mother. But then CBS renewed them for 4 and 5 and they kept stretching out the story. It's funny that even then they already had Ted pegged as a piece of poo poo who was using this story about their mom as a passive aggressive way to convince the kids they should be okay with him dating again.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jedit posted:

That's a statement made from 30 light years away. People certainly knew that Trump was a narcissist and a shady businessman in 1990, and anyone who kept an eye on the New York property market would have known about him being dragged to court for racist letting practices in the 70s, but his true nature wasn't yet wholly apparent and on full display. To the general public then he was just the self-promoting tycoon who owned a lot of tall buildings with his name on and insisted on making an appearance in any movies that were filmed in them. Which is exactly what Daniel Clamp is - a self-promoting tycoon who owns the tall building named after him, and who shoehorns himself into the plot of the movie set in it.

And the racist poo poo he was responsible for always had the veneer of simple greed instead so it was seen as evil but the banal sort.

Refusing to rent to African Americans was largely forgotten by the 80s but this case was front page news at least once a week for 5 years; https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/19/us/politics/donald-trump-central-park-south.html

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But pretty much everything from after they decided to randomly stop on the mud planet was either meh or stupid. But at least they killed off the character played by the rape/torture cultist.

Yeah but they killed her off because she wanted to spend more time raping and torturing.

And the mud planet gave us that incredible scene where D kills herself and it jumps to a commercial of tomato soup exploding all over the place while a cover band sings about celebrating another day of living.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Volcott posted:

Whenever Gambit is not on screen, everyone should ask "where's Gambit?"

And every time he's on screen they should be asking Why is Gambit?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Was watching Simpsons and s8 e12 came on, the one where Marge finds a Chanel suit and joins the country club. On the way to the Ogdenville outlet store, there's a callback to Ogdenville appearing near Califormia on Lyle Lanley's map which also serves as a "Springfield isn't in any discernable place" gag: a sign that says "Paved Road ends 64 miles", then "Former Japanese Internment Camp 90 miles", then "Ogdenville 277 miles".

The inclusion of Internment Camp feels so weird to me now. I get that they might have included it as a kind of dark joke about American history, and it serves the purpose of the callback and gag, but it's like the bros in a Euro trip movie driving by a big "Auschwitz-Birkenau 10 km" sign with no comment.

I think it might have been more of a raising awareness thing. It was just 15 years earlier that the government finally admitted that maybe it was a bad thing to do and the shows target demo certainly wasn't learning about it in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Because campy horror shlock is generally a good time, and I was given that the first film had demons/zombies and an awesomely scenery chewing Billy Zane, the second had sexy vampires in a whorehouse, I was hoping for werewolves in the third.

And instead we got a lovely Serpent and the Rainbiw fanfic for the third one.