Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Maybe double post if the thread is slow, but here's some tech I saw discussed on the poe build reddit that I'm going to try out once I can solve resists.

The new flask Elixir of the Unbroken Circle restores ward on use, gives you some bonus ward, heals from endurance charges, and then generates endurance charges. If you use an instilling orb to make the flask trigger on savage hit, a series of things happens on the same tick. Let's say you have 600 ward - the hit comes in, your ward is depleted, immediately you get 800 ward back, and if you have endurance charges they heal instantly in the same tick that the damage occurs which is an additional layer of protection against one-shots.

You can combine this with the new unique boots, Olroth's Charge, to get high adrenaline uptime in damaging situations. Normally the ward cooldown of 5 seconds would keep adrenaline uptime low, but this flask will boost that a lot, and while adrenaline is mostly a damage boost the 10% phys reduction it offers is nothing to sniff at.

Here's a frame by frame - https://i.imgur.com/O916Fgh.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What’s the definition of a savage hit

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
15% of your health lost in a single hit.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

What’s the definition of a savage hit

What the player retention recently took

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Now that's a savage hit.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

UT announcer voice: HOLY poo poo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i always knew harbinger was the best league

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Harbinger only looks like that because it was acts 5-10 being added, long term it didn't have anything special for retention IIRC.

You really can pick out where the big expansions were though, Metamorph standing out especially despite being nothing special as a league mechanic.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
wtf happened in Delve lol

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

wtf happened in Delve lol

World of Warcraft.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

pork never goes bad posted:

Maybe double post if the thread is slow, but here's some tech I saw discussed on the poe build reddit that I'm going to try out once I can solve resists.

The new flask Elixir of the Unbroken Circle restores ward on use, gives you some bonus ward, heals from endurance charges, and then generates endurance charges. If you use an instilling orb to make the flask trigger on savage hit, a series of things happens on the same tick. Let's say you have 600 ward - the hit comes in, your ward is depleted, immediately you get 800 ward back, and if you have endurance charges they heal instantly in the same tick that the damage occurs which is an additional layer of protection against one-shots.

You can combine this with the new unique boots, Olroth's Charge, to get high adrenaline uptime in damaging situations. Normally the ward cooldown of 5 seconds would keep adrenaline uptime low, but this flask will boost that a lot, and while adrenaline is mostly a damage boost the 10% phys reduction it offers is nothing to sniff at.

This is really cool. I've been using 'Trigger on Savage Hit' on a Forbidden Taste, but I think this might be superior. I'm going to some of this out here and see where the build lands.

The new flask system can be very cool.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Jazerus posted:

i always knew harbinger was the best league

people love blue man group and splinters

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is really cool. I've been using 'Trigger on Savage Hit' on a Forbidden Taste, but I think this might be superior. I'm going to some of this out here and see where the build lands.

The new flask system can be very cool.

I wish the instilling orbs were just a crafting bench thing instead of an orb, there's way too many different conditions you can roll and usually you only want a single one on any flask. I love the concept just hate the randomness.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

people love blue man group and splinters

clearly those alt splinters were the correct level of reward to encourage retention

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Cinara posted:

I wish the instilling orbs were just a crafting bench thing instead of an orb, there's way too many different conditions you can roll and usually you only want a single one on any flask. I love the concept just hate the randomness.

Or since they already have prefixes, make them Beastcrafts.

I'm a fan of the mods themselves, my Viper Strike Pathfinder has a Witchfire Brew trigger on hitting a rare/unique. I got a bit lucky in that it only took me 4 tries to hit it. I think I'd be singing a slightly different tune if I was 30 orbs deep without hitting it.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

I love all the theorycrafting reddit nerds that are so upset by the league that they've taken to theorycrafting the death of PoE

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cinara posted:

It took me 63 instilling orbs to hit Savage hit. I bought out the HC Trade server...twice. I was a little irked.

I'm kind of OK with that though - Value through randomness is always a super tight line to walk, but I think PoE does a mostly good job. I think what I'd rather see instead of a bench craft is maybe a beast craft for the various flask triggers? I'm unsure though - we'll see where I land on this at the end of the season.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
one of the best flask setups you can use as an armor build is basalt with charges gained when hit and the enchant that makes it automatically use when full

that guarantees full uptime during most fights and goes a long ways towards boosting the effectiveness of your molten shell.

i'm currently not very convinced by enkindling orbs since the buffs are generally not strong enough to offset the downside of significantly lower charge generation.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

FZeroRacer posted:

one of the best flask setups you can use as an armor build is basalt with charges gained when hit and the enchant that makes it automatically use when full

that guarantees full uptime during most fights and goes a long ways towards boosting the effectiveness of your molten shell.

i'm currently not very convinced by enkindling orbs since the buffs are generally not strong enough to offset the downside of significantly lower charge generation.

Slap it on an Overflowing Chalice. it'd also be really good for pure bossing (sirus etc) where you basically can't recharge your flasks but that's a fairly edge case scenario unless you get a whole second set of flasks together.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I turned back on my flask macro. All my flasks have use when full except I can also drink them all myself when I know I need a boost. I was really only getting frozen and curse immunities from flasks before but now curse immunity is dead and I am getting frozen immunity from another source. So it's pretty much back to normal.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Or since they already have prefixes, make them Beastcrafts.

I think what I'd rather see instead of a bench craft is maybe a beast craft for the various flask triggers? I'm unsure though - we'll see where I land on this at the end of the season.

Yea a beastcraft would work also. The only reason I think there should be an alternate source is that you're always looking for exactly one enchant, it's not like you can settle for trigger on ignite for your freeze flask.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Cinara posted:

I love the concept just hate the randomness.

PoE.txt right there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
For me the flask changes are interesting but a complete wash. This idea wasn't baked enough.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

For me the flask changes are interesting but a complete wash. This idea wasn't baked enough.

The pre 3.15 flask system was badly broken. Ailment immunity being provided from an on-use 5 second buff is a huge problem and the amount of player power they were providing was absurd. The entire system needed to be cratered, and cratered it was.

Is this better? Certainly so - ailments actually kind of matter again and the amount of power players can get from the flask piano is severely diminished, which is a good thing for the game. But it's not perfect. Even within my own group, we are landing on flask setups that feel like they are going to get nerfed. Forbidden Taste + Savage Hit is pretty obvious, but it feels like every day we trip over another setup that might be really strong. Other flasks feel like they are too niche, and I'm unsure how to best use them...for now. It'll be interesting to see what other stuff gets discovered.

Either way, the system is definitely in a spot now where they can at least turn knobs productively, which I think is a good starting point.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

i think they should just undo the flask changes but keep in instilling orbs and make them more common, plus add in even more triggers.

for some builds flask pianoing is still going to be a problem. and for the most part i don't think it's ever possible to push flasks in the direction they want (as in them being more reactive) because so much of PoE goes against that. they would have to straight up overhaul all ailments and fix the glaring visibility issues that the game still has in addition to slowing things down.

because for the most part, trying to react to being frozen/bled when you have fifty million effects going off at once and hundreds of enemies firing at you means that even a split second of inattention is death. having to dedicate a flask slot to become immune to freeze or bleed is still opportunity cost because that's a slot that could go to a flask that increases dps or survivability in other ways, which is why I'm perfectly fine with treating flasks as equipment to let you better fine tune your immunities.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't want ailments to matter because it's rare that getting frozen or corrupted blood (it doesn't make the annoying bleed sound so it's easy to not notice) isnt instant death. i also never want to press flasks. not sure what the solution is here but I don't think it was this.

also just let us set the flask automation to whatever in a menu lol. GGG just can't help themselves. They'll add a color blind mode next that's a rare drop from Sirus.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't want ailments to matter because it's rare that getting frozen or corrupted blood (it doesn't make the annoying bleed sound so it's easy to not notice) isnt instant death. i also never want to press flasks. not sure what the solution is here but I don't think it was this.

also just let us set the flask automation to whatever in a menu lol. GGG just can't help themselves. They'll add a color blind mode next that's a rare drop from Sirus.

The solution might be, 'Diablo 3'.

Also, Corrupted Blood has an audio queue both when you acquire a stack from a hit, and when you are walking around. If you really don't want to deal with those things reactively, get a corrupted jewel with the relevant implicit and run Arctic Armor.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 28, 2021

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The solution might be, 'Diablo 3'.

I haven't seen a single post of yours here that wasn't fellating the devs.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

It really does sound like you want a different game, Larry. Are you still having fun playing poe?

Eta -

qnqnx posted:

It's really refreshing reading posts about addressing the new challenges and how to build for the new patch. Are you having fun with the game? Maybe, like, take a break. Your negativity can't be good for you.

pork never goes bad fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 28, 2021

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

qnqnx posted:

The devs of PoE are actually quite good and competent, unlike their average player on reddit hth. Also, I wrote a whole book about a lot of things that totally suck about the game here.

Generally speaking, PoE's system design is really good. Encounters and UI...less so.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 28, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Boss fights are like one of the things GGG does right. Right after the kicking music and sound of the game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What the player retention recently took

lmao ggg has a bunch of constant, steady growth on their 9 year old game (itself a minor miracle, seriously, so few games are doing that), 'hey you know what we should do? we should nerf the absolute gently caress out of everything, release a downer nerf video instead of a league hype video and change a ton of other poo poo no one asked for!'

incredible

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
In general I'm surprised the summer leagues are not more popular, I get 'going outside' and 'holiday' are powerful arguments but I wouldn't imagine they outweighed 'swamped with work/school'. Both Legion and Harvest have pretty average numbers compared to the surrounding leagues, I guess Legion has a bit better retention.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i don't think it's good systems design to have ailments that kill you instantly and then give you a button to push every 5 seconds that makes them go away. it's also not good systems design to change nothing about this except that the buttons dont make them go away anymore

e: it's even worse systems design to take your free-form character progression rpg and then, while changing nothing about these systems, leave in the easy access to permanent immunity to them but only for one character class

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 28, 2021

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The devs of PoE are actually quite good and competent, unlike their average player on reddit hth. Also, I wrote a whole book about a lot of things that totally suck about the game here.

Generally speaking, PoE's system design is really good. Encounters and UI...less so.

And for all you wrote, you failed to see something as simple as seeking even more overtuned builds, both in survivability or clearing exactly because encounters, UI and performance are rear end. The flask as they will be in the next patch may be enough for the intended theoretical difficulty, but not in practice.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lmao ggg has a bunch of constant, steady growth on their 9 year old game (itself a minor miracle, seriously, so few games are doing that), 'hey you know what we should do? we should nerf the absolute gently caress out of everything, release a downer nerf video instead of a league hype video and change a ton of other poo poo no one asked for!'

incredible

lol now that i look at the raw numbers instead of the percentages, more people were playing ultimatum on day 5 than played excavation on day 1. a solid third of the player base simply didn't play this league at all

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I really do think the flask rework would have a place after they finish their balance pass on all monsters. Atleast I would hope they would turn ailments away from compounding interest of the one shot.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Are Aurabots viable for just two people playing together? My roommate started playing with me and I was thinking about making one to run around and support him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yes, you give them a poo poo ton of auras. I have no idea what auras aurabots run so I can only imagine how much easier it would be if someone just gave me all the purities and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Aurabot+1 is generally orders of magnitude stronger than 2 characters just durdling together.