Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shimmy shimmy posted:

Does converting to chaos matter much for poison? The phys damage gets converted to chaos on the back-end anyway and I don't think stuff like armor will affect ailments even if the initial hit is phys since it just cares about the base hit for ailments

i don't actually know, I just know every build i ever read for poison said you wanted to deal as much chaos as possible. im pretty sure it's an indirect requirement, because its more point efficient to just scale chaos damage and dot multi than it is to scale physical alongside it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Reflect is a pretty good reason to try to fully convert

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also as far as scourge arrow it does actually deal significant hit damage. i think last time i played it, it was like 10% of my DPS. not a huge hit but I'd rather not deal with armor and chaos resist together

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ok I have a stupid question, bear with me

what's the deal with X charges? like yes, I get their base mechanical functions, but what are X charge builds? I've never seen one pop up during my pre-season build browsing, and I don't think I've even seen one played - is there anything special about them, or literally just 'equip items and nodes that beef up benefits from charges'?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
people stack frenzy charges because they give more damage and speed and there are damage supports (eg ice bite) that increase your damage per charge so you can get increasingly multiplicatiive damage scaling by pushing # of charges as high as possible. power charges scale crit and crit damage and damage and similarly have a multiplicative increase on damage as the # of charges approaches the actual maximum possible # of charges.

frenzy charge stackers very often use forbidden shako and/or precursor emblem rings. power charge stackers tend to use 1 or 2 void batteries (albeit both can be built in other ways)

there's also badge of the brotherhood, a unique that sets your maximum number of frenzy charges equal to your maximum number of power charges, which is extremely powerful on power charge stacking builds because charges are balanced around being generally very hard to increase the maximum of

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The league can only support a limited number of frenzy characters because the shakos and bases are too scarce and it's really not worth playing without them.

The power charge package is cheap, just a simple shortcut to a ton of spell damage and aoe, and you are never really married to the charges so you can upgrade poo poo in more general ways.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i strongly suspect that for scourge arrow, or really any chaos damage skill with decent added effectiveness, you'll probably be getting an assload of flat chaos anyway from the covenant as your optimal chestpiece until fairly high budget levels. like have a look at what a level 29 added chaos gem does. in fact, i kind of suspect covenant will be expensive for a while if someone blows the lid on poison spectral helix again.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Jean Eric Burn posted:

The league can only support a limited number of frenzy characters because the shakos and bases are too scarce and it's really not worth playing without them.

A good Shako is going to be completely impossible for most people with the increased divine prices.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reiterpallasch posted:

i strongly suspect that for scourge arrow, or really any chaos damage skill with decent added effectiveness, you'll probably be getting an assload of flat chaos anyway from the covenant as your optimal chestpiece until fairly high budget levels. like have a look at what a level 29 added chaos gem does. in fact, i kind of suspect covenant will be expensive for a while if someone blows the lid on poison spectral helix again.

Yeah, good point. we'll have to do SOMETHING to replace focus ailment duration. Every poison build I've done felt like absolute garbage in maps with single target until you got that, and even then it felt really bad to keep spamming it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
There's nothing in the game that can convert a Minion Instability explosion from fire into chaos, right?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

So has lightning strike been dumpstered, or will it still be strong? Was thinking of doing that this league.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Lightning Strike is fine, the bug that was fixed wasn't the "stand at a specific distance and get both hits" thing, it was another more niche bug where you'd occasionally get a third hit on top of that. I guess Omni got a bit of a nerf but it's still crazy strong.

I kind of wish they WOULD stop the double hit thing and just buff the single target to compensate, weird positioning like that is why I won't play LS.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they really really need to make melee not suck lol. it's not like it's completely in the dumpster (hello firestorm) but it's definitely not easy. some guy on Reddit has a ten billion page post talking about how it just straight up has way more buttons and go/no go checks for less base damage than self casting after the big 3.15 spell buff, which is why everyone says it sucks. most people don't want to deal with totem management and precise LS overlapping or gem swapping just to play the game. plus a lot of words about accuracy and precision and duelist access to reservation.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

from a mile high design perspective I don't know how you ever make melee work well in arpgs like this

actual melee attacks/builds, i.e. ones where you do need to touch face with the monsters are always always always going to be more dangerous than ranged builds

it generally boils down to either a) they can tank everything so it doesn't matter or b) they're not really melee, they're ranged pretending to use a melee attack that just happens to cover the screen

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

There was definitely a point in time where melee builds in POE had some very clear advantages that other build types didn't. Those days are long gone. A combination of pretty much every build having a way to have map clear, boss killing, tankiness, and scaling but where being up close and standing still has become deadlier and deadlier has taken away every single reason to be melee. The only good melee build (LS) is basically just a ranged build that's only half a screen away instead of a full screen.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hey, flicker is technically melee...

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

LS being a ranged skill is only true for mapping and only once you have oppressive dps. If you want to do actual damage you have to position carefully and be as close as any other melee skill. If you try ranged bossing on LS... yeah no poo poo you think melee is terrible.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

shimmy shimmy posted:

Does converting to chaos matter much for poison? The phys damage gets converted to chaos on the back-end anyway and I don't think stuff like armor will affect ailments even if the initial hit is phys since it just cares about the base hit for ailments

I believe converting to chaos should double dip your damage with chaos nodes. So chaos damage will make both your initial hit and the dot bigger and bc the initial hit is bigger your dot will be even bigger.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ailments haven't double dipped since I've started playing, which has been a moment

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah. Always remember that ailment damage is calculated separately from hit damage, even though they both scale from base damage and (sometimes) have the same modifiers.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Mentat Radnor posted:

Not very profitable.

the funniest part about this is, if i recall correctly, people mocked oni-goroshi by posting about how it'd at least be worth 1 divine orb, so charan (the maker of the item and all-around shitbag) specifically bugged GGG to make sure it wouldn't vendor for anything worthwhile, lest people just farm his baby weapon to vendor.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Charan is essentially a lesson that companies need to follow and learn, though even knowing about him the need for early dev money is still to great, and even though the need for early dev money being too great its a universal regret to let someone pay that much money to essentially own your dev team.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just noticed they loving nerfed the covenant because of aurabots so I cant use it as a cheap 5/6 link for SRS early mapping.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Elentor posted:

Charan is essentially a lesson that companies need to follow and learn, though even knowing about him the need for early dev money is still to great, and even though the need for early dev money being too great its a universal regret to let someone pay that much money to essentially own your dev team.

how.... how much did he pay to the dev team???

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's funny that there's always something new and more pathetic to learn about the sword pervert

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

New covenant is super strong, what?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wuxi posted:

instead of socketed skills cost life it now costs life on top of the normal skill cost

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wuxi posted:

Maybe I'm misreading it but the blood magic element of it is gone and the life damage cost is in addition to the mana cost. SRS cost a poo poo ton of mana when supported and before you get gear to lower the cost, so covenant was a cheap way to fix the problem.

Sure its super strong now if you dont care about that aspect and just want more damage.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jinnigan posted:

how.... how much did he pay to the dev team???

50k+ as public knowledge, no one is sure of the upper boundary only that it was at least 50k.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Keep in mind that was back when GGG was a tiny, office-doubles-as-a-garage tier company

Charan sucks rear end but that changes the dynamics

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:suspense:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is there good guide or formula for how physical damage reduction (the stat, like from endurance charges), Armor, less physical damage taken from hits (like from arctic armor) etc stack together?

E: Like, since armor is a relative amount of PDR depending on size of the hit, I assume less phys taken applies first. Is armor then calculated and spits out a PDR% and then your flat PDR is added on top?

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 14, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Receiving_damage

As for PDR + Armor calc:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/cknbkl/comment/evr9y8k/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Mark_GGG posted:

Armour provides an amount of Physical Damage Reduction against each hit dependant on your armour value and the amount of physical damage in the hit. Additional Physical Damage Reduction is just that - additional to the base physical damage reduction provided by your armour.

So yes, armor calc + additional PDR = total PDR applied to hit before any Less damage taken mods.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The PDR from armour is calculated first based on raw damage, and then gets added to other sources of PDR to determine total damage reduction. Modifiers to damage taken are applied after mitigation.

(as I understand it, I could be wrong)

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah PoB does every sort of less modifiers on the back end, I assume they did their diligence.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

whypick1 posted:

https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Receiving_damage

As for PDR + Armor calc:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/cknbkl/comment/evr9y8k/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

So yes, armor calc + additional PDR = total PDR applied to hit before any Less damage taken mods.

Cool, thanks

Makes Arctic Armor a bit more poo poo but I guess even stationary 21% less damage taken would be a bit much

E: I looked at the armor page and it's a little confusing. The base formula given seems to be:

However if I plug in say, 50k armor and 20k hit, I get 50k/(50k+100k) = 0.33 = 33% damage reduced = 6666 damage reduced. However the chart further down says I should be mitigating 4k damage, and 6666 happens at 100k armor:

Am I looking at the wrong formula?

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 14, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Insurrectionist posted:

Cool, thanks

Makes Arctic Armor a bit more poo poo but I guess even stationary 21% less damage taken would be a bit much

E: I looked at the armor page and it's a little confusing. The base formula given seems to be:

However if I plug in say, 50k armor and 20k hit, I get 50k/(50k+100k) = 0.33 = 33% damage reduced = 6666 damage reduced. However the chart further down says I should be mitigating 4k damage, and 6666 happens at 100k armor:

Am I looking at the wrong formula?

Which chart is that? Is it on the old wiki? Because armor was semi-recently changed to be approx twice as effective in 3.16 (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3186390#corecharacterdefencesandrecovery)

https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Armour#Relative_Physical_Damage_Reduction_(Base_Formula) This page shows 6667 damage being reduced from a 20k hit at 50k armor, like the formula returns

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

an iksar marauder posted:

Which chart is that? Is it on the old wiki? Because armor was semi-recently changed to be approx twice as effective.

https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Armour#Relative_Physical_Damage_Reduction_(Base_Formula) This page shows 6667 damage being reduced from a 20k hit at 50k armor, like the formula returns

yeah, it was the old wiki it seems like, that makes more sense

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

an iksar marauder posted:

Keep in mind that was back when GGG was a tiny, office-doubles-as-a-garage tier company

Charan sucks rear end but that changes the dynamics

not that i'd really argue that charan probably ever passed as a not-weirdo, but at least he hadn't yet written a multi-book series about wanting to gently caress the waifu sword yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

not that i'd really argue that charan probably ever passed as a not-weirdo, but at least he hadn't yet written a multi-book series about wanting to gently caress the waifu sword yet

nothing published yet but you know there was a finished copy and at least a full rough draft of #2 sitting on a hard drive waiting for the right moment to let them both flourish