Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

neurotech posted:

What league starters are you all going with?

LSoSCoCDDoCR Inq

wemgo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Gonna try explosive trap of shrapnel trikster i think

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Something something Elementalist, because new voicelines. It struck me that I've never done a Fireball build of any kind, so maybe that?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Elementalist Ignite Wave of Conviction --> EK

Super fun progression on this

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

With last league being the first time I was actually able to somewhat understand what was going and get into maps (with multiple characters no less!), I now face the prospect of having to decide on a league starter for a new league. For affliction, the main builds I played were:

-Toxic Rain Pathfinder
-RF Chieftain
-Zoomancer

I really enjoyed the RF Chieftain and the Zoomancer, with the TR pathfinder being a good first character but not something that really held my interest. I'd like to try something different, at least for my first character (I am positive I will end up playing a zoomancer in every league because I really like that playstyle but want to branch out). This time, I'd be interested in something melee, which I am aware is pretty difficult at the top end, or totem based, which seems really neat. Any suggestions for builds to explore in the melee or totem realms?

Also, I didn't play affliction on launch, I started like 5 days after. On the day of the league starting, how much of a shitshow are the servers? Like, slight pain in the rear end, or "good luck actually playing" level of hosed?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A Real Horse posted:

Also, I didn't play affliction on launch, I started like 5 days after. On the day of the league starting, how much of a shitshow are the servers? Like, slight pain in the rear end, or "good luck actually playing" level of hosed?

It used to be a total shitshow, but the last few leagues haven't been all that bad, comparatively. There will probably be a queue to get in, but once you are in it, you should be fine.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
There may be some weirdness in the first couple hours, but there hasn't been a rather disastrous launch since...Kalandra?

Boneshatter Jugg for melee or Explosive Arrow Ballista for totems.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

A Real Horse posted:

I really enjoyed the RF Chieftain and the Zoomancer, with the TR pathfinder being a good first character but not something that really held my interest. I'd like to try something different, at least for my first character (I am positive I will end up playing a zoomancer in every league because I really like that playstyle but want to branch out). This time, I'd be interested in something melee, which I am aware is pretty difficult at the top end, or totem based, which seems really neat. Any suggestions for builds to explore in the melee or totem realms?

I agree with whypick1, if you want totems play EA Ballista Elementalist (not Champion unless you're taking a sudden detour into SSFHC) The only other really safe totem starter is TR Pathfinder again but you use totems to cast toxic rain. I wouldn't play melee, it's just not fun in PoE. Maybe someday they fix it, but this league isn't it.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Depending on what you mean by melee, splitting steel champ looks p solid too. And molten strike of the zenith looks amazing with high investment, especially if you like content like delve.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

whypick1 posted:

I was going to suggest a Guardian might complement your friend's minion build, but that does mean no new Witch dialog, as you mentioned. Totally understand that decision.

wait, there's new witch dialogue? I thought the voice actress died, did they completely replace her lines or find someone who can do a similar-sounding job and use both?

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

bawfuls posted:

How annoying is the 2button thing on DD builds?

Is it going to be so much damage that I won't care on bosses?

I was considering going DD, went through BA once on an old DD character and naw, I hate it.

On bosses you use arcanist brand to cast the desecrate part though, afaik.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Still going back and forth between archmage ball lightning and explosive trap, probably won't be able to decide until 5 minutes before servers go up

shimmy shimmy posted:

wait, there's new witch dialogue? I thought the voice actress died, did they completely replace her lines or find someone who can do a similar-sounding job and use both?

Nah it's the same voice actress but according to her imdb she hasn't really done anything for years, I think people just assumed she wasn't acting anymore

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

A Real Horse posted:

With last league being the first time I was actually able to somewhat understand what was going and get into maps (with multiple characters no less!), I now face the prospect of having to decide on a league starter for a new league. For affliction, the main builds I played were:

-Toxic Rain Pathfinder
-RF Chieftain
-Zoomancer

its not a league start option really but if you want to see what melee can actually do its got to be aura/armor stacker smite. simple as

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

I agree with whypick1, if you want totems play EA Ballista Elementalist (not Champion unless you're taking a sudden detour into SSFHC) The only other really safe totem starter is TR Pathfinder again but you use totems to cast toxic rain. I wouldn't play melee, it's just not fun in PoE. Maybe someday they fix it, but this league isn't it.

melee is hella fun

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
I'm hard locked into Witch because it's my favourite voice in the game but undecided between BAMA, Zoomancer, or Absolution. I'll probably run lab a few times to try to get a BAMA gem, give up and then keep playing whatever cisfigured minion feels best.

Andohz fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 28, 2024

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
GC BF looking drat good with these gem changes

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

My line up for 3.24:

Starter: Absolution (of inspiring when possible) guardian

Followup: Summon Reaper Champion

Both will be slow clear but decent single target and very tanky.

If I somehow find a mirror this league, I'll make a strength stacking Volcanic fissure of snaking Jugg

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 28, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lacerate is one of the funnest skills

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Mikojan posted:

the what

Jugg can be done, imo, on remnants of old tidebreaker tec slam. Funnily enough people did use to leagustart it

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Mikojan posted:

My line up for 3.24:

Starter: Absolution (of inspiring when possible) guardian

Both will be slow clear but decent single target and very tanky.

If I somehow find a mirror this league, I'll make a strength stacking Volcanic fissure of snaking Jugg

Im curious to know how these will go. Please keep us informed. Also, stay sane

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

A Real Horse posted:

Any suggestions for builds to explore in the melee or totem realms?

As already suggested, Boneshatter Jugg. Maxroll has a great guide on it. It's fun, but it's not good at bossing (I mean maybe it is if you dump 500 divines into it or something, I dunno).

But you just leap around smashing things 500 times a second. It's fun and tanky.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Caveat: melee took a hit this league with the LMB changes. Doesn’t mean it’s not doable, but melee will be “worse” than previous leagues, with boneshatter affected more than most apparently. You may try Dual Strike of Ambidexterity instead.

wemgo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 28, 2024

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
One day left!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

whypick1 posted:

I was going to suggest a Guardian might complement your friend's minion build, but that does mean no new Witch dialog, as you mentioned. Totally understand that decision.

Not sure Guardian is worth it tbh. The Necro buff, the walking DoT nerf (though still good) and the potential spectre helm being broken as gently caress.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
still leaning eab ele to start because a) I know it's good b) new witch lines and c) I've been hella ill for the last couple days so I've had no brain power for coming up with stupid poo poo

I just hope I'm feeling better tomorrow for league start :ohdear:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Stux posted:

melee is hella fun

Boneshatter Slayer is the only starter I've rerolled off of because of how bad it was in affliction. I'm sure there're some fun melee builds to do as a second build with investment, but I'm not going to recommend it as a starter anymore.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Erulisse posted:

the what

Jugg can be done, imo, on remnants of old tidebreaker tec slam. Funnily enough people did use to leagustart it

https://pobb.in/MwnP-CHcAS5j

Thats my Summon reaper PoB. Thrown together with decent but not over the top gear. (10-15 div?)

Again, pretty miserable clear speed most likely. But my goal is to survive in HC (which I'm bad at) and kill some end game bosses.

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 28, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does the gargantuan life pool make up for no spell block or supress ?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

Boneshatter Slayer is the only starter I've rerolled off of because of how bad it was in affliction. I'm sure there're some fun melee builds to do as a second build with investment, but I'm not going to recommend it as a starter anymore.

This sounds like a you problem. Boneshatter is a great league starter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Volcanic Fissure of Snaking is an excellent “””””melee””””””” skill if you haven’t tried it yet also.

Pretty easy to do on Jugg with str stack and abusing Battlemage cry

(You don’t need replica Alberons to get it going. You can just use BLS which is cheap as hell)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 28, 2024

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
im not sure exactly what you're gaining out of going champ, since you have to path all the way up the left side and have no block, suppress or evasion. iron reflexes is actually hurting your survivability by a lot and your sustain isn't particularly impressive either. also you're not gonna be able to use pride. so that's a huge chunk of your damage gone.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

FZeroRacer posted:

im not sure exactly what you're gaining out of going champ, since you have to path all the way up the left side and have no block, suppress or evasion. iron reflexes is actually hurting your survivability by a lot and your sustain isn't particularly impressive either. also you're not gonna be able to use pride. so that's a huge chunk of your damage gone.

Perma fortify (using a bow) and 10% reduced dmg taken from taunted targets.

Ah I see, arrogance pride isn't the same as blood magic pride, so I'll swap out malevolence for pride then.

You think Iron reflexes is hampering sustain? I'm tunnelvisioning on the phys max hit a lot because of one shot PTSD.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I was so certain on COC DD Inquis, but I am dreading the prospect of spending 4 hours in lab.

Debating switching to Necro BAMA since I'll only need to stay in lab for 1 jewel not 2.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Do people make map tier lists of the more valuables/easiest ones to run and favorite them?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Mikojan posted:

Ah I see, arrogance pride isn't the same as blood magic pride, so I'll swap out malevolence for pride then.

You think Iron reflexes is hampering sustain? I'm tunnelvisioning on the phys max hit a lot because of one shot PTSD.
almost nothing in the game is going to slap you for your entire max hit bar unless you get hit by a shaper slam (or idk those minotaur guys) or a detonate dead hit. what will kill you however, is taking a bunch of smaller hits all at the same time some of which crit.

if you're really just choosing a ascendancy purely for its defensive benefits and are not going melee you would be better served with juggernaut at that level of armor. and having skeletons or zombies as your fodder for reaper attached to meatshield so that they function as blockers.

but im not particularly convinced that you'll make it very far on this reaper build even if you can tank the world.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

FZeroRacer posted:

almost nothing in the game is going to slap you for your entire max hit bar unless you get hit by a shaper slam (or idk those minotaur guys) or a detonate dead hit. what will kill you however, is taking a bunch of smaller hits all at the same time some of which crit.

if you're really just choosing a ascendancy purely for its defensive benefits and are not going melee you would be better served with juggernaut at that level of armor. and having skeletons or zombies as your fodder for reaper attached to meatshield so that they function as blockers.

but im not particularly convinced that you'll make it very far on this reaper build even if you can tank the world.

Hasted uniques that spam that big impale AoE are the bane of my existence.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Mikojan posted:

Your Phys DR is overkill, meanwhile you die to 2 Shaper Balls through Molten Shell because your Elemental mitigation, especially against penetration, is bad.
Ensnaring Arrow does not work with Pierce
Sustain if perfectly fine
Your mobility however is absolutely horrible and 100% the thing that will get you killed. No movement speed on your boots is indefensible and you will just die to mechanics other builds can walk out of.
You need to Lifetap every single one of your spells and deactive auras to resummon your Reaper when it dies.
You cant use Arrogance or Lifetap on Blessings so as someone already said you can't use one of your auras (probably Malevolence)
Self-cast Molten Shell is risky business unless you are very good at using it. I personally wouldn't besides Ubers with very specific instant-death skills.

Search Engine probably knows a lot more about this, but I dont think getting the gear in the PoB is as easy as you think it is.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

FZeroRacer posted:

Very excited to give it a shot anyway. Never got further than early reds in HC. I'll finetune the build as it goes. My goal is all pinnacle bosses and then rip on the first Uber.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

there are more melee skills than boneshatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Stux posted:

there are more melee skills than boneshatter

well yeah but cyclone is just to trigger other skills though