Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Anything drop about the next league yet? I dropped Heist fairly quickly since it was pretty buggy early on.

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Thanks. Looks like they're delaying which is a little disappointing but I'd much rather have a good league that works right off the bat, so I'll probably just wait until January.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Quick thoughts on the archetypes;

Occultist unlinks Malediction from Profane Bloom which is a nice QoL change for cold DoT builds. You might still want both but now you at least have the option of picking up the Energy Shield node. It also gives generic More Cold or Chaos damage now instead of Damage over Time multiplier, which means you don't need to be a DoT build to get full benefit out of it. Nice change for flexibility.
Elementalist having auto-resummon on Golems seems huge for Golem Shell builds, since they won't fall off so hard when they start getting occasionally murdered in high-level maps. They still might all instantly eat poo poo in porcupine areas or places that deal chaos damage, which is a concern, but it at least gives them a chance. The new Shaper stuff seems pretty good, especially Shaper of Storms. I'm really not sold on Heart of Destruction.
The Inquisitor Battlemage build seems like it'll be really good? It almost certainly is still some kind of utility skill (Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Fortify Support-style thing), and it actually enforces the class fantasy of having a big honking hammer to accompany your spells. Disintegrator should be hilarious with this.
Deadshot definitely has a weird tree, but I like it. Of special note is that they stealth buffed Far Shot to actually matter; it has a downside now, but does much more if you actually use it as intended. Occupying Force is probably the most interesting addition, but I like the Ricochet change a lot as well. No longer trying to optimize the number of chains is a pretty big shift.
Slayer got their Overwhelm base crit nerf reverted and 10% reduced damage taken on Brutal Fervor. Nothing too interesting but it should be a popular option again.

My initial instinct is to go with some kind of Golem Shell Elementalist or Cold DoT Occultist, especially after seeing Hydrosphere.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

search engine posted:

Brutal fervour swapping places with endless hunger is a pretty significant change. It frees up 2 points for a lot of builds that don't particularly care about stun immunity or overkill leech. So now you can get brutal fervour + bane of legends and still have room for impact or overwhelm. I was actually planning a dodge cyclone slayer prior to the reveal and it's made things a lot better because I can pick up overwhelm and use a big loving axe without worrying about crit like I was previously.

Good point, I had forgotten about that.

Jinnigan posted:

My question is: do blocks count as getting hit for Wind Ward?

Blocks count as hits, yeah.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Firebatgyro posted:

Doesn't look like there's a stash in the new grove so you're gonna want to carry a couple craftable items all the time which is kinda annoying

You can craft items directly out of your stash with Harvest. You'll have to carry them around afterwards but still, you don't need to have an assortment prepared beforehand.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Floodkiller posted:

Interaction I'm curious in: will Deadeye terrain chaining work with pierce all projectile spells by default (spell can't pierce terrain, so moves to chain), or will it require Snakepit to force the piercing off first? I'm betting on the latter being the case, but the former is making me think of some really stupid builds if true.

It should work with how they changed projectile behavior in 3.12, I believe.

quote:

For specific mechanics that had chances to occur or not occur, you'll now be able to fall back on another behavior the projectile has. Previously if a projectile had a chain remaining, the skill couldn't return until it had chained the last time even if there were no enemies in range to chain to. Now the projectile will return, and could still make use of the remaining chain if it hits an enemy during that return.

That's not 100% but with how they outlined the new behavior it feels like it should function. What's the really dumb build(s)?

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Any especially promising uniques to work with the new Instruments of Virtue/Battlemage? Fanaticism seems incredibly tasty for a maybe-buffed Crackling Lance, since with that much cast speed it might be really quite functional, but the obvious choices of Disintegrator and Martyr of Innocence have a redundant Battlemage on them now. Or is it just that it'll be much, much easier to make a rare staff that does something very useful for your build now?

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

EVIL Gibson posted:

new gems on release are usually horrible. There are those rare ones that are super overpowered on release like arcane surge Archmage support but only because they forget things like brands being able to be moved with the secondary gem, brand recall, in a link not suportted with arcane support.

so you could cast brands for 8k Mana giving so much spell damage and then recall all of them for a a fart of Mana.

yes, GGG nerfed brand recall into the ground or enough that I didn't find it efficient enough when I read the changes.

They completely reworked how brands worked, nerfed archmage support, nerfed some of the things that boosted archmage support, and also made archmage not work on brands. It was a pretty thorough 'let's never have this happen again' change.

e: Not that I blame them, it was a crazy strong build and never having to stop moving was ridiculous for survivability.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Do we know what the minor passives in the trees do, if anything?

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Traxis posted:

The ones we've seen are +% chance to find content of that type

Cheers. Just seemed weird to me that they did the big, full reveal without including the minors, although I guess they're much more generic.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Sarcastro posted:

Still way better than the zero survivability (in the non-golem shell category) that Elementalist had before. I'm going to go for it for a league starter and see what happens. Fireball ignite with Shaper of Flames (duh), Bastion of Elements, Mastermind of Discord, and then I think Shaper of Storms, since making my fireballs also shock seems cool unless someone tells me that shock won't also increase ignite damage, in which case I don't know where the last two points would go.

Shocks do boost ignite damage so you're good.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
^^^ The exposure buff basically replicates the resistance penetration you used to get from heralds. The more to bosses is new though.

Larry Parrish posted:

basically all they did was get rid of the actually good herald node, buff golems again, split conflux into 3 different nodes, and make pendulum slightly less bad lol. it still doesnt really give any damage or defense (besides golems/aegis), and if you ask me the whole problem with elementalist was just that it was straight up weaker than assassin or necro. but what do I know I guess.

They did at least make golem shell more viable with the auto-resummon, although I'm wondering what their chance of living through the crazy boss rush is. My guess is that they're still going to get splatted a lot.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
^^^ rip

Frost Bomb is cold exposure. e: Which is to say, it does stack with Elemental Equilibrium, but it also benefits from that one node that specifies needing it to be Exposure to work.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

totalnewbie posted:

Alright, so I had the unfortunate timing to post this right as the map trees were revealed. I'm going to repost it and see if anyone has any comments? Hoping I just got ignored because of map trees, not because it's a shitpost it's a shitpost

edit: archmage blade vortex (lightning -> cold) hiero

It's a build that wants four uniques, one of which is going to be cheap (Ivory Tower) but not cheap-with-links, and the others are probably going to run you 40c+ in the first week to pick up. I'd really, really question it for a league starter.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
I'm a little surprised they didn't no-sell it for non-Steel skills, considering those are likely to continue to suck. Hints of Raider buffs too, so Vasudus might be happy.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Benson Cunningham posted:

Cobra Lash is dead unless they changed the damage effectiveness on it.

It should be much better for actual chaos/poison builds now though, right? Granted, the downside is it's a poison build that isn't Blade Vortex and actually needs to do stuff like 'stop to attack', but it does seem like a buff for those builds.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Speaking of reddit,

quote:

My understanding is that the only [harvest] craft we removed was the one that provided more Lifeforce since the infrastructure/garden maintenence part doesn't exist anymore. I need to double check but I'm pretty sure that the rest of the crafts still exist as they were - the balance changes that were made are just about how rare they are/how easy to get they are. As Chris explained in the announcement, the goal of this harvest reintegration was to pick the option that still had all the crafts possible

Looks like slam/annul are still in, although likely to be relatively rare.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
^^^ kind of seems like that node might be worth it even on a fairly standard melee build.

I'm weirdly tempted by something like Frost Blades Raider or Cobra Lash Pathfinder even though I know those builds are garbage at bossing and this is a Bossing League.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
They also swapped the node order so it doesn't help you there.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Toshimo posted:

Looking for suggestions for a league starter.

My favorite kinds of D3 builds, for example:
1. Multishot DH
2. EP Monk
3. Shenlong Monk
4. Strafe DH
10. WW Barb

The only PoE I've done meaningful content in was Metamorph and I did Necro and it was... fine?

Multishot DH is pretty similar to Bleed Bow Gladiator, which is a very good build and league starter. WW Barb is pretty much any Cyclone build. I'm not sure what the equivalencies would be for the Monk skills, and the closest equivalent to Strafe is probably something like Cast on Crit Frost Bolt/Ice Nova which both just ate a nerf and isn't a good league starter.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Question: If I have the "corrosive elements" exposure on an enemy, can I still inflict a separate, stronger exposure (say from Wave of Conviction)? Or would the WoC exposure just overwrite the CE exposure?

The way pretty much all of these stacking buffs/debuffs work is that you can have multiple applied at once, but only the strongest is actually used. If you had a 10% fire exposure with 10 second duration and then applied a 2s 25% fire exposure on top of it, you'd get the effects of the 25% exposure for the two seconds and then you'd get another 8 seconds of the 10% exposure.

My smart league start brain: cold DoT occultist.
My dumb league start brain: voidforge golem shell elementalist is a league starter, right?

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 12, 2021

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I totally misread it the first time and assumed you only had to attack once every 4 seconds as well. So they really really want you to weave attacks & spells to make it work. OoS, Smite, Wave of Conviction, Storm Brand could let you take advantage of Battlemage, and cast speed on both OOS and SB without having to stop attacking and spam spells. Plus wave of conviction has a huge added damage effectiveness. Links will definitely be a problem though.

edit: another way you could do this would be to use mobility attacks for 4 seconds to position and cross screens, then unload for 4 seconds with Fanaticism up, maybe firing off a spell here and there as you spam the movement skill. Actually for clearing that wouldn't be bad, since you really only need 1 cast to clear most trash anyway. And for bossing you get into position and then nuke, rinse and repeat. Magma orb is potentially reasonable here since it has high damage effectiveness and screen clearing ability?

Oh, huh. Yeah, I was misreading Fanatacism too. Orb of Storms and Smite does seem like the 'right' combo to me, a spell you can just drop that benefits a lot from the added cast speed, especially if it gets the kind of treatment Frost Bomb got in the manifesto preview.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

whypick1 posted:

Can confirm both of these are true. Did a Summon Holy Relic build in Heist that used Static Strike. Both the beams and Vengeance caused the Relics to cast their nova.

The question is if 'hit an enemy with an attack' (summon holy relic) and 'attacked' (fanatacism) are synonyms. It definitely needs testing before you try to build around it so heads up before you try to run this as your league starter assuming it'd work. It's worth a look but my guess is you go with a spell that just gets dropped and benefits from cast speed (Orb of Storms, Storm Brand, etc) and primarily use attacks.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
^^^ this also opens you up to respeccing lategame if you snag a Martyr of Innocence or Disintegrator to save the two ascendancy points.

Speaking of weird interactions, how do we think Voidforge works with Battlemage? I think it might add effectively nothing, if the "weapon damage as 300% of random element" bit doesn't get copied over/doesn't trigger on spells but the deal no non-elemental damage bit does.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
In retrospect, I feel like I should have predicted 'we've done an extensive balance pass on other skills, we have buffed over 40 skills' to include, by my count, 19 nerfs to alternate aura gems and much less in the realm of actual changes or buffs. I'm still surprised by how little changed with the patch notes.

e:

Rutibex posted:

:aaa:

I was going to to start with Animated Weapons, but necro was nerfed :argh: But after reading this its clear to me that starting Hexblast is the best way to go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_BlUY2eF4

Did they ever improve the targeting on it, with some kind of AoE detonation or just smart targeting? I remember that being one of the major issues with the skill.

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 13, 2021

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Jinnigan posted:

i wanna do something stupid stacking max rage. +10 zerker ascendency, +20 bear girdle, +25 rigwald's axe, +10 from the tree. 105 rage. thats gotta be good for something right

if the build doesn't work, you're already raging about it

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
I'm coalescing around something like Elementalist Archmage Arc with golem shell. Golem shell regen/phys reduction and ailment immunity plus Shaper of Winter seems like a really powerful defensive combination, just need to figure out the rest of the tree and if it makes sense to snag Mastermind of Discord or Bastion of Elements for the last slot. I'm predicting the primordial chain being pricey this league, though.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
It's definitely a support skill. It does pretty decent damage (20% more per proc than Orb of Storms, fires every .4 seconds instead of 1.04 + whenever you use a skill) but the proc rate being fixed means it doesn't scale with cast speed directly or indirectly the way Orb of Storms does.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Try vortex elementalist instead apparently its going to be pretty strong

Wait, how would that work?

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
The chill amp only works on hits, not auto-zones. Auto-shock is going to be pretty close to skitterbots level too, since it's not like DoTs work on hits. The golems are a decent point, but just feel like most other ascendancies would do better.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah but cold dots skills all have a hit component, and since every hit will chill for 15% + amp it should always supersede the ground effect chill. Downside being that you have to hit again every 2 seconds (+ whatever chill duration you have) to keep the amped chill up.

Did some math to work this out. Cold snap with bonechill already does 10% * (1+.19+.44) which is a ~16% chill ground effect. Shaper of Winter with the same setup should do 15% * (1+.19+.44) * 1.5 = 36.675% chill, which is pretty significant, but it comes with the downside of needing to refresh it fairly often. It is an option though, and a better one than I'd initially thought.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Mild decision paralysis kicking in, im 95% sure I'm going to roll an elementalist without golems but I still dont know if I'll go ignite fireball/armaggedon or arc/crackling. Either way archmage is almost guaranteed.

Crackling is going to be awful with archmage, with intensify you want to be able to spam it and that causes issues. I'm also fairly worried about mana sustain on an arc(h)mage elementalist although it's probably not insurmountable, going to be a pain to stack though.

Divine Ire Ignite is probably pretty legit too, you get a built-in Stormfire from Shaper of Flames. I've thought a bit about running that.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Shaper of storms is ~20% increased damage taken with just the base ailment effect on the node leading before it, and it can scale with stuff off the tree or gems. The downside is that it needs to be reapplied every two seconds barring increased duration, which seems counterproductive for a build like this. e: Although, I guess Unbound Ailments is a pretty legitimate choice alongside it.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Okay, so what scales Divine Ire Ignite with Shaper of Flames and Storms?

Fire/Elemental/Physical damage
Lightning damage (on the portion that's converted from phys to lightning)
Fire damage over time multi/damage over time multi
Damage/damage over time
Burning damage, Ignite damage
Lightning ailment/non-damaging ailment/ailment effect
Any kind of "gain X% of Y as Z damage"

Does that all sound right?

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
I feel like Divine Ire Elementalist is going to be way too squishy without golem shell, since if you skip it your defensive mechanic boils down to just Infused Channeling and Bastion of Elements. Other, random food for thought;

1) If you use Wave of Conviction to apply Exposure you need to reset EE afterwards, since there's no way to prevent it from dealing fire damage (I think?). A quick tap of Divine Ire would do it, or something like Orb of Storms. Alternatively you could use Hydrosphere, but you miss out on -15% elemental resistance that way. Or skip EE on the tree and get it from Malachai's Artifice, I guess.
2) You can get a loving hell of a lot of reduced fire resistance which makes Eye of Malice potentially hilarious. Shaper starts at 50%. Wave of Conviction with Mastermind of Discord drops this to 0, EE to -50%, Combustion to -69% (nice), Flammability is -84% without self-casting it or increased curse effect. Eye of Malice turns that to -126%, which is a pretty hefty more multiplier to throw on enemies. This could also let you sidestep some of the Wave of Conviction issues above, since it comes with built-in exposure proccing, although it's also at -10%.

Tenzarin posted:

So is this bugged?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUr1gMWv37g
3m ignite dmg with no items.

Tarke's looking at total ignite damage, not ignite DPS.

vvvv Keep in mind you need to attack once a second to actually proc the Fanatacism charges, so it should be up a lot in clear but I'm not sure how that looks when you're bossing.

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 15, 2021

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

search engine posted:

Yeah, bleed builds continue to fly under the radar. Gladiator took a ~10% dps hit from the rework depending on which nodes you're looking at, but got some weapon-agnostic block and also the highly mysterious Jack the Axe buff.

https://poedb.tw/us/Thirst_for_Blood

This seems pretty good. 10% life reservation is no joke but that is an absolutely bonkers amount of regen, plus a 20% more multiplier on bleeding damage. Thinking about an audible to go play lacerate glad or something now.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
It treats the resist as higher, not lower, but DoT skills don't scale with resistance pen like that anyway (hits only) and also don't scale with added flat unless it's Ignite or Poison. Where that'd be really busted is if you're running conversion of some kind, like cold to fire or Shaper of Flames, where you don't care about the resistance downside.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Arsonide posted:

I've picked out all the poo poo I want on the atlas but I'm having trouble with Valdo's Rest deciding between the passive that lets you build a second metamorph and the one that spawns 2 more blight bosses on blight maps that drop anointed poo poo.

Note the minor nodes to get to those as well, the blight one adds another lucky blight chest, the metamorph one just adds +2 organs. What do you guys think?

Blight one seems better to me offhand but Metamorph is more spammable since there's a Metamorph scarab and not a Blight one. I don't think it's a Zana map mod this time, either.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
How dumb is dual wield lacerate bleed gladiator, and/or skipping versatile combatant in favor of Arena Challenger and probably Outmatch and Outlast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Doppelganger Guise is pretty interesting. Insanity looks like a 5s CD toggle, too, so it's relatively easy to swap. Legacy of Fury seems potentially incredible if you can handle the downsides. Viridi's Veil just seems fantastic, though, and it's not like there isn't precedent for basically giving up a ring slot with Thief's Torment.