Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

DancingShade posted:

http://www.thestirrer.com.au/open-war-in-the-lnp/

Dutton going for the Mussolini move.

Outcome is Helicopter Queen or King Potato. My money is on King Potato because armed fascists tend to win these things.

a) wrong bishop, this poo poo really isn't hard
b) i have never heard of this site so i would recommend taking its insider goss with a huge pinch of salt

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

a) wrong bishop, this poo poo really isn't hard
b) i have never heard of this site so i would recommend taking its insider goss with a huge pinch of salt

I would be very happy to have been misled.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

DancingShade posted:

Outcome is Helicopter Queen or King Potato. My money is on King Potato because armed fascists tend to win these things.

Who is Doug Pollard and what does he have to do with or know about LNP infighting?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bishop will be the next PM.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Bishop will be the next PM.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

DancingShade posted:

cool fanfic

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Triple J have a survey up about the Hottest 100 being hosted on Australia Day.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/musicnews/h100-survey/8764540

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bigis posted:

Triple J have a survey up about the Hottest 100 being hosted on Australia Day.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/musicnews/h100-survey/8764540

Is this survey in response to the lefty hatred of canning on with the boys and enjoying a bit of Powderfinger?

E: haha this survey is such a cop out load of poo poo

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 2, 2017

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Sup nerds I'm in Melbourne for PyCon. What are some good things to do in the CBD in the evenings?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

AgentF posted:

Sup nerds I'm in Melbourne for PyCon. What are some good things to do in the CBD in the evenings?

go to a good city, like Brisbane

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Yep let's get these out the way early. Also I flew in from Adelaide so you can do something with that if you like.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hey can anyone remember a few months back, there was a group that put out an open letter type thing, which was meant to be about empowering the gay community, and a few 'celebrities' signed on to it, and there was a backlash because of the language it used, like maybe 'tolerance' or something?

Edit: nvm found it: http://www.lotl.com/News/New-Celebrity-Endorsed-Safe-Schools-Alternative-Is-Facing-Some-Mega-Backlash-1791/

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 3, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AgentF posted:

Participate in one of our many gay marriage protests or take in the sights and sounds of a student sit in against George Bush Sr.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

AgentF posted:

Sup nerds I'm in Melbourne for PyneCon. What are some good things to do in the CBD in the evenings?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Icac finds that Eddie Obeid, Joe Tripodi and Tony Kelly engaged in corrupt conduct

lol

also trump wants to emulate our immigration system now apparently

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

trains exploded in melbourne again. In response, drivers are torturing the passengers

https://twitter.com/LastLaughBlog/status/892887133618290688

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That's terrific :3:

The bad jokes I mean, not the exploding trains

AgentF
May 11, 2009

JBP posted:

student sit in against George Bush Sr.

Didn't know he was still alive

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synthbuttrange posted:

Icac finds that Eddie Obeid, Joe Tripodi and Tony Kelly engaged in corrupt conduct
Sinodinos avoided negative findings though.

Fairfax posted:

The report also noted that there had been the intention of making an adverse finding against another person, whose identity was not disclosed. However, the High Court findings in the matter of prosecutor Margaret Cunneen '"fundamentally affected significant aspects of Operation Credo," the report stated.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 3, 2017

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Personally I think this ICAC report leaves more questions than it answers. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-03/icac-credo-findings-corrupt-conduct-obeid-tripodi-kelly/8769534. Why did it take three years? And Sinodinous loudly crowing that it doesn't have any findings against him flies in the face of any dispassionate reading of the evidence. I smell a full nappy.

Speaking of full nappies let us talk of terror theatre.

Given that the reasons that suspects are able to be taken without charge and held incommunicado does it not strain the threads of credulity to beyond what they can be reasonably expected to bear that precise details of the plot are being released and published at least daily?

The last serious incident was The Russian jet that was bombed after leaving Sharm El Sheikh airport. The airport security there was set up by an affiliate company to the egregious SERCO and (in principle) meets the same standards as that in Australian International airports (Daily mail article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fety-Sharm.html but there was more information around when it was a live news story.) Given that the most likely route for the bomb onto the flight was via a bagage handler:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/is-there-a-gap-in-airport-security/8769530

quote:

Is there a gap in airport security? Thursday 3 August 2017 7:36AM (view full episode)

IMAGE: “UNDER AUSTRALIAN TRANSPORT SECURITY REGULATIONS, WORKERS WITH ACCESS TO LARGE PASSENGER AIRCRAFT MUST HOLD AN AVIATION SECURITY IDENTITY CARD.” (ABC/NICK HAGGARTY) LINK TO LARGER IMAGE
The alleged Sydney terror plot to bring down a packed passenger jet has exposed what aviation experts are saying are big gaps in airport security across the country. The latest concerns are being raised by the people ultimately responsible for passenger safety — the pilots. The 5000-strong Australian Airline Pilots Association has pointed out that baggage handlers, cleaners and catering staff are not subjected to the same security screenings as passengers and airline crew.
Union President Murray Butt says the system is riddled with inconsistencies.
Darren Chester (He's the Federal Transportation Minister if that name didn't sound familiar) did a fabulously piss poor job of reassuring anyone with a working brain cell that this wasn't a glaring omission and a complete gently caress up. To her credit Fran Kelly actually asked the inconvenient question about cards being able to be lost/stolen/duplicated (etc) the minister's answer would keep you off commercial aircraft in Australia forever, well if there was any sort of a credible threat to your safety.

It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to meet the Muppets sukuriti profesonals on The MUPPET terra thator show tonight.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Murray Butt is what you get when you fall off your boat

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

AgentF posted:

Depends what you're into but restaurants, bars and cafes are pretty staple Melbourne things to do. Riverlands Bar is down the stairs at Fed Square is nice and they have big bar heaters, Meeatball and Wine Co, Fonda and a few other pretty places are up Flinders Lane ("up" as in uphill when turning from Swanston St and walking towards Parliament). Cafes just go to anywhere on Hardware Lane (start from Flinders St), they have some restaurants too but I don't think I've been super impressed with any of them, except maybe a fancier Italian place close to Flinders St I forget the name of.

If you want an activity that isn't tummy related do an Escape Room I guess if you're with mates. NGV and ACMI both close at 5pm but the State Library is open later. They are all nice to visit and poke around in, not sure how long to dedicate to. There's also just the outdoor gardens and architecture between the NGV and State Library that is nice to look at as you walk along.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

AgentF posted:

Sorry I'm not around, I'd buy you a beer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JJJ is the most middle class white youth station out there so I dont know why the gently caress they care about Australia day beyond 'our idiot listeners feel bad about this day so we should change it even though our countdown has nothing to do with australia day'

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Most media outlets try to cater to their idiot listeners. Having said that, keeping the Hottest 100 on Australia day and using it as a platform to talk about what it does and should represent might be more effective than moving the date and forgetting about it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

open24hours posted:

Most media outlets try to cater to their idiot listeners. Having said that, keeping the Hottest 100 on Australia day and using it as a platform to talk about what it does and should represent might be more effective than moving the date and forgetting about it.

Most of these style things are about feeling good, not doing good.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

JJJ is the most middle class white youth station out there so I dont know why the gently caress they care about Australia day beyond 'our idiot listeners feel bad about this day so we should change it even though our countdown has nothing to do with australia day'

It's a party, right? And they'd prefer to have a party on a day when everyone can join in, not on a day when a part of the population is feeling sad because its a day which specifically commemorates the dispossession of a People.

JJJ might not be able to change the date of Australia day but they can choose when to have the countdown.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

AgentF posted:

Go the gently caress to here and enjoy the best hamburger I've ever tasted:

http://www.grandtrailerpark.com.au/

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Can't see why they couldn't do it on a day like Boxing day tbh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

Can't see why they couldn't do it on a day like Boxing day tbh.

Not a young people's party day and it will compete with the cricket. New Year's Day would be alright as there is scope to have a party on that day and the leaning drug addicts recovering fron the night before will also tune in.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

Not a young people's party day and it will compete with the cricket. New Year's Day would be alright as there is scope to have a party on that day and the leaning drug addicts recovering fron the night before will also tune in.

NYD woudl be great because Jan 1 was the date of federation. but I think we'd rather have a day off.

May 8 works fine, doesn't it? Bit cheesy, but hey. Any other dates in the mix? Any events worth commemorating? Serious answers only pls.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Go the gently caress to here and enjoy the best hamburger I've ever tasted:

http://www.grandtrailerpark.com.au/

Nah go to 8bit. I took some Adelaide peeps to Gami chicken because it owns and they liked it. There's always a lot of free/cheap comedy and poo poo going on that attracts decent names. MIFF is on as well so go see a Romanian film about a man that loves a duck or some poo poo.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hobo Erotica posted:

NYD woudl be great because Jan 1 was the date of federation. but I think we'd rather have a day off.

May 8 works fine, doesn't it? Bit cheesy, but hey. Any other dates in the mix? Any events worth commemorating? Serious answers only pls.

Only problem is that you want near guaranteed sunshine on the day, so something near the start/end of the year would be better.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Hobo Erotica posted:

March 3rd makes sense, but isn't any national day going to draw exactly the same criticisms as Australia Day does now? It doesn't matter what day you choose to celebrate, the country was still built on land stolen from the Indigenous population.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

open24hours posted:

March 3rd makes sense, but isn't any national day going to draw exactly the same criticisms as Australia Day does now? It doesn't matter what day you choose to celebrate, the country was still built on land stolen from the Indigenous population.

Many of the indigenous people that want a change say another day that's inclusive would be fine. It's just that Aus Day where it is sucks for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

JBP posted:

Many of the indigenous people that want a change say another day that's inclusive would be fine. It's just that Aus Day where it is sucks for them.

Yeah, I thought he was talking about changing the date of Australia Day in addition to changing the date of the countdown.

• Locked thread