Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Asiina posted:

I'm sure this year...this year it will be good.

Just take solace in that it can't can't get worse than Coven

Few shows have dared reach Coven levels (Heroes and Dexter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

Asylum, Freak Show, even Feud.

I will take the last season over Freak Show any day of the week.

poo poo happened. Characters remained fairly consistent. poo poo, again, happened.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Perhaps a hamster posted:

^Trigger-warning scene was great and wonderfully OTT^

At first I thought they were being really sincere at the start, then slowly I started to realize their tongue was so far in their cheek it nearly put a hole through it and got what they were doing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I'm probably kidding myself. I'll be in it to the bitter end, I'm a sucker for Evan Peters being an rear end in a top hat and he's in Full Dickhead Mode here.

I'm giving this season a chance because it's taken all these extremes to even greater extremes and it's kind of fascinating in a way.

I like AHS taking wild shots at trying different things. Doesn't always work but then they can slam the reset button the following season, no problem. Coven was one of the worst storylines ever put on TV but unlike most shows it didn't ruin future seasons.*

* Randomly killing Queenie in Hotel was dumb as gently caress though because if you put that into context that means basically witches are real and there's a super powerful witch that runs Dr. Xavier's school for witches, and you just murdered one of their students that they all knew was going there. Hotel should have, by extension, logically ended when a bunch of angry Witches show up and burn the hotel / spirits out of existence in revenge, or at least try to. I mean that'd been dumb as gently caress but it was even dumber it didn't happen.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

If you watched freakshow and coven, you have seen much worse. The witch hunters ran some international company but they couldn't kill a house of witches? What? They could of blown up the house.

Coven vs Heroes Season 3 would be a really entertaining "which is worst" series, before the winner gets to face off with the finale season of Dexter

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

I've enjoyed watching this show mindlessly but does this season just seem extra corny? It's like they're trying to force everything and make it relate to the election and it's coming off more campy than usual. I'm wondering if I'm the only one feeling this way.

Oh God yes.

I couldn't tell at first what angle they were even going for; I thought the show was playing some of it straight.

By about the fifteen minute mark, I got the utter impression this season is more of a black comedy. They have their tongue so far into their cheek it might burst through and seem to be taking the utter piss out of all sides, from the far right facebook / fake youtuber psycho to the far left twitter whiner that voted 3rd party then starts sobbing on the street when the wrong candidate wins.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 15, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

Yeah it's most definitely trash but it's trash with a consistent story and characters and an ability to be tense and shocking when necessary which alone puts it above some of the other seasons. Although even Coven hadn't fully imploded by 3 episodes so who knows.

Ivy better be in the cult the whole time at this point. Otherwise her acting like she doesn't know Winter would make no sense.

Khablam posted:

These last two episodes have been everything I hoped they could be.
Yes, it's awful TV, but it's exactly awful enough to be wonderfully entertaining.

"Get woke, motherfucker!"

Did I miss something about the language limitation changes? They were swearing like it was HBO.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sebzilla posted:

It's better because it makes me laugh at least whereas Coven was just hours and hours of boring poo poo apart from Kathy Bates and Lily Rabe.

This season the show is a comedy. It's absolutely not even trying to hide it, just playing JUUUUUUUST seriously enough I think a lot of extremists will read it as supporting their ideology or take it literally but it is absolutely not remotely serious.

Coven tried to be more grounded. Oh boy, was it worse for it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

I agree with everything else you're saying, but Coven was one of the least grounded things Ryan Murphy ever produced. Between Minotaur voodoo sex, talking heads, death by bees, famous jazz loving axe murderers becoming trapped inside walls, BALENCIAGA!... ever other scene was outrageously OTT. If anything, it was exhausting.

Despite also being a comedy season, this year the show has been far more grounded -- there's not even been anything supernatural yet -- but I also think it's been funny and good. If it continues like this, I'd feel comfortable suggesting it go up there with Seasons Two and Six (AKA, the more or less successful ones).

Oh I guess grounded was a bad choice of words. I meant there was stuff we were supposed to take seriously, like it was supposed to actually be taken as some way other than funny.

This season is all about comedy on top of what would be horror set pieces. We've all seen the "Saw your own limb off if you want to live" trope a million times, but making it so he could VOOOOOTE was loving comedy gold. Every horrorific thing that happens is somehow hilarious or darkly humorous, or attempting to be.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever you think about this season, there's no arguing it's pretty unique.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chaotic Flame posted:

and similar things have probably actually happened in real cults

If you're talking about posing as satanists to score scare points yeah, that's happened

Everything else? Not so much

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I heard that episode had to be cut down heavily because of the Vegas shooting, but I have to say I'm impressed with them leaving as much as they did in there. It was pretty pull no punches as it was.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i forgot about this show. i peaced out after episode 1 but is it worth watching?

I'd say so. It's probably one of the more coherent scripts AHS has done to be honest, and they've taken RIDICULOUS premise stuff and done some entertaining things with it. I think so far it's one of their best seasons, definitely in the upper half.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TOOT BOOT posted:

I dunno, I felt this season has been pretty even-handed about the political potshots.

You've got the absurd liberals, the insane but charismatic Kai & pussy grabbing grocery store guy, and a bunch of people that are just fed up with everything and want to burn down the system.

That's why it works. It'd been cringe worthy if it was some sort of hyper-agenda kind of season but it's really not. It's playing on the fact politics have driven the world mad, the internet has driven the world mad, and the world is simply loving mad. They're a great backdrop of black comedy but it's just savaging ALL sides and it's refreshing a show to rip people who unironically call themselves SJW and alt-right/men's right poo poo apart with equal vigor and some pretty good satire.

This is definitely a show that will be nearly incomprehensible I think in twenty years, or perhaps, an amusing reflection in the future. But for right now it's pretty much "everyone and everything is not only fair game, but will be attacked" black comedy powering some actual horror in American Horror Story for a change.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

This season started off so bad, like cringe pull my hair out bad, but now it's so good, like pull my hair out so good

I liked it mostly because it knew exactly what it was doing. It was purposely having characters say things that made your eyes roll so fast they risked blasting out of your head, but it was going for comedic satire out of the gate. It took a few minutes to fall into the unusual groove it was setting though.

As it stands so far this is probably easily in the top 3 seasons of the show, which is pretty impressive for a 7th season. I just hope it's not bombing with the ratings.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I can't decide if it edges out Murder House for me or falls just under it. Right now my ranking's roughly: Asylum > Cult (=?) Murder House > Roanoke > Hotel >>> Coven > Freak Show

Honestly Freak Show was boring but at least it was somewhat coherent. I've said it before and will say it again, Coven is masterclass train wreck TV for me; I may have bitched during other seasons but Coven was a full on hate-watch experience.

That said, it was actually kind of amazing at that. It takes a lot to be ranked side-by-side with Heroes Season 3 as the most incoherent television ever made and it does it in spades; the show can't go about 5 minutes without shooting it's own plot in the foot. So I guess I could see it being ranked not at the bottom if the sheer shitshow was the entertainment value, because it sure had that going.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spermanent Record posted:

I don't want to spoil too much by going through this thread but it seems like people are enjoying this season. Would you recommend it to someone who's not enjoyed it since season 2?

I think it's the best season SINCE 2, myself. As someone mentioned it comes off SUPER heavy handed at first, but the thing is.. it knows it. Once you realize it's VERY self-aware about how ridiculous it's being, it suddenly becomes immensely entertaining.

It's also some pretty amusing satire because it's so ridiculous. All of these PC facebook war ideas and phrases being thrown around while hacking people to bits is kind of hilarious. It's definitely walking a tight rope, but it's doing an impressive job of it. It's tongue is FIRMLY in it's cheek from the get go and it also seems to very much be on the "everybody's loving nuts, it's a matter of degrees" side of the fence when talking about political stuff. If the show has an agenda, it's to mock agendas and maybe, just maybe, people should calm the gently caress down and return to some logic.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 10, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ElectricSheep posted:

While the right-wing criticism is on the nose, its critiquing of the left is a bit more insidious when it includes the attempts of a lesbian housewife repeatedly gaslighting and attempting to drive her partner insane for the unforgivable crime of voting Jill Stein. It seemed to be to be a pretty clear metaphor for the fracturing of the Democrats.

Yeah if people aren't seeing the ripping on the left, they're missing the point. There's a reason so many of the characters were either hard left, or extreme parodies of the hard left. It's just that the parody is more subtle there because the alt-right is like a cartoon that can stare at rain and say it's sunny. The extreme left are absolutely given some pretty amusing barbs.

Also the answer isn't always in the middle but Jesus Christ, politics is not even about moderate ideals anymore. It's about just about one side trying to absolutely destroy "them" and "them" is whoever they are not by screaming about it and only screaming into megaphones in their own circles. Nobody talks. Nobody trades ideas. People trade insults with the enemy.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

What else. Oh ya Ally stabbed a police informant to death in his car and no one questioned it. This is while she herself was a police informant after being put in the nut house.

In case you missed it, this was a false flashback.

You saw what she TOLD Kai happened. Not what actually happened. She and "Speed Wagon" probably blew the whistle on the whole "time to raid is now" thing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My big problem with the finale was a 2 second shot that literally made the whole thing make no sense: Kai's followers take out security. If Kai had an empty gun, he could just laugh and tell one of them to do it, or bring him a gun. Also they'd been watching his back. Also they'd shot them for shooting him.

SWAT should have come in, started shooting them and Kai shot in the confusion of that. It's the only way it'd make sense, at all.

esperterra posted:

Hell she heads up her own goddamn cult at the end.

Who knows, maybe they all believe in sunshine & rainbows for everyone and that's her cult.

To be serious, given she has a son that motivates her I can't see her becoming a SCUM pusher, and she sure isn't about Kai's message. We'll never know what the backbone of her cult is, or how they'll act, but I'd have to guess it'd be something entirely different.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, such hilarious timing for Charles Manson to die.

I wonder when this hits Netflix how many people will totally misread the scene where Kai insists Manson is dead and evolved while the kid keeps saying he's alive if they don't realize at what point in 2017 this was made.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We've not had it yet so why don't we get American Horror Story: Western?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

AHS set in a Fallout-like dystopia that plays on the unknown terrors of a wasteland where it's every man for themselves, drawing parallels to the birth of the nation when it was pilgrimage into savage territory ... could be pretty neat.

That being said, it'll probably be set ten years from now with a bunch of quips about how Trump ruined the country and opened the door for actual monsters to invade or something.

If they're going to do the Trump thing they should take the Hardcore Prophecy thing that was stickied forever in GBS and make it into the season

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SalTheBard posted:

I have all of cult sitting on my DVR, is it worth watching?

It's the best season since Asylum. Though I have to warn it will seem cheesy as all gently caress for the first episode or so, until you kind of get the vibe of what they are going for.

There's lot of extreme alt-right and special-snowflake left talk that seems like the show runners are being sincere about it, but then you realize the entire season is a middle finger to all modern politics, while pouring gasoline on them and lighting them on fire and it becomes some really amusing black comedy.

Last Chance posted:

thread makin' me want to watch Coven again... I haven't watched it since it aired. I thought it was awful, but also.. good. I'm a straight while male

Coven is up there with Heroes Season 3, Dexter and honestly Walking Dead these days.

Nothing makes loving sense, plot points come out of nowhere, major characters die off screen as an afterthought. The character motivations are random, the plot is random, the side-plots are random. It builds towards 10 stories and never tells any of them: The witch war, the hunters, all of it.. just comes and goes in the dumbest loving ways.

It is in my opinion the FAR AND AWAY worst season of American Horror Story, "trainwreck watching" level. It just did stupid poo poo for the sake of doing stupid poo poo, like the murder vagina or how the show built up a really interesting well-done character arc for one of the most racist people on the planet changing her ways only to undo it in the last minute out of nowhere.

gently caress Coven. It's real bad. Freak Show may be dull a lot and somewhat random but it has nothing on Coven.

PS: My favorite stupid poo poo with Coven is how Peters character was mind controlled in the first part of the finale easily by the Beverly-Hillish Witch. Then he goes to kill her later and suddenly she can't do telekinesis or mind control on the guy for no reason whatsoever. Everything was like that. And endless loop of pure poo poo.

Also, surprise BEES!

ED: And the witch that just murders the whole witch council which never seems to exist or do anything about the school-of-mass-murder then turns herself in at the end and.. fuuuuck Coven. I forgot how bad it is. It even had a little gently caress You to Hotel, by bringing in Queenie only to kill her off.. which logically would have brought a whole bunch of pissed off witches to the hotel but nothing ever happened.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 10, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

I'd say Peters is really the shining star of the series, opposed to Lange or Paulson.

I miss Zachary Quinto being on the show, I wish he'd run another season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DoggPickle posted:

Okay I'm one of THOSE PEOPLE. I honestly do not get why you despise coven in that way. I disagree with every possible single point, and it's not like I have no background in watching a poo poo-ton of things and being a generally cool-rear end-motherfucker when it comes to cinema etc.

who dies offscreen as an afterthought?
Beees? Were we watching the same show?
Who's the beverly hills witch? There are a lot of white chicks and I honestly can't figure out what the hell you are talking about.

I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one and attribute the fact that 50% of people DESPISE coven so hard because there are literally no male characters in in that are anything at all (besides the axe man, and he's still a dead puppet overall). I have never had this feeling about any show or THING ever, but I honestly can't come up with another reason for the pure hate. Because it is (lol)scientifically better than hotel or freak show. Hillaryhate :laffo:

I have to agree, there's no way this isn't a troll post. None.

DoggPickle posted:

I also want to make it clear that it's not my favorite. I can clearly see how it's trashy, but it's good trashy and it gets a weird amount of hate. That's all.

Every 5 minutes the plot is decided by rolling dice. The hate isn't strange for that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

IIRC when Coven was turning to poo poo there was a lot of Women Empowerment v Men Suck arguments getting pumped out and rightfully so because Coven was about Women Empowerment v Men Suck.

How to handle this very thing COMPLETELY...

Wrong: Coven
Right: Cult

"Women empowerment vs men suck" stories are the worst when the women are all self-absorbed backstabbing total loving morons, which was Coven in a nutshell.

In fact shows/movies that try to push the whole female-empowerment angle while simultaneously being incredibly stupid so it comes off as women driving off a cliff doing the worst thing possible while metaphorically screaming "girl powwerrrr" it is just awful. By comparison Cult had varied characters on both sides despite touching the same theme and also addressed this a bit more head on with subversive approach and was way, way, way better.

Same reason you have all the people bitching over the latest Star Wars. There's a character in there that's clearly a female empowerment character trying to do the men suck thing with another, while the guy is actually the only one showing any sense. Whenever anything does this it sets their own movement back, and it's entirely because lovely writers think powerful women = character that are always right and totally rule everything, but because the writer is bad they all come off like wildly over confident assholes that are loving up and don't want to critical feedback from anybody, because 'girls don't need no critical feedback.'

If the intention of Coven was to show how much girls rule and men suck, it sure didn't have that effect on me. Instead I think the witches council was useless at enforcing any sort of internal law and barely existed while witches are all back stabbing, mentally unstable psychopaths who think of murder as a Monday. The realistic end to Coven was the military blowing up that house with a hellfire missile or locking them all in the deepest pit in the most remote black site bunker forever.

ED: Also something I almost have to point out: Every one of these heavy handed ridiculous plots / character types is almost always written by a dude, across the board. I've never seen this poo poo actually written by professional female writers. So I'm absolutely blaming the writer guys for this poo poo.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 28, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

AHS is often funny and campy, but Coven took it to 11.

Fun and campy is great, but a plot that literally implodes every 5 minutes of screen time (and in many cases that is literally not even an exaggeration, like entire plots contradict themselves into dust with Dexter level efficiency) is not.

I've heard Scream Queens is good but it also seemed to at least REMOTELY have a narrative that wasn't one dropped plot after another.

I mean they drowned a major character mid-arc in a bathtub OFF CAMERA. A powerful character that ya know, would have tried to fight back. That's not camp, that's dumb as gently caress.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheRealDeal posted:

Vanderpool said the seller and the brokers had a duty to disclose the home’s role in the show and the frequent visitors it attracts, and specifically signed off that there were no nuisances in the neighborhood to disclose. The suit claims the buyers would not have purchased the home if they knew its connection.

He added that the seller and brokers failed to mention the house was haunted by two ghosts, a point that was not included in the complaint.

Hahahaha

clown shoes posted:

Freak Show was boring, which is the biggest sin horror can commit. I saw Winchester last night and it's both boring and stupid.

Murder House: Interesting Character Piece
Asylum: Great sprawling horror aesthetic and character piece
Coven: Xavier's School for Gifted Murder Hogwarts: Heroes Season 3 edition
Freak Show: Boring as gently caress
Roanoke: Real fun bag of horrors
Cult: Best since Asylum for taking the dumbest poo poo and running at full speed with it, tongue firmly in it's cheek the whole way

I have to give credit where it is due: I loved how Cult trashed the whole political spectrum mercilessly. It'd been very easy for it to turn into a preachy show.

Also I'd like to think someone told Charles Manson about the show and that's what sent him over the edge and killed him

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

So he wants to combine his two worst ideas (everyone becomes a ghost/witches are real ... real bitchy) into a season that may or may not deal with some kind of really near future political, if not literal, fallout?

Yeah, this might be the one I quit. I just can't see it being anything but the bad kind of goofy.

Witches are real? Great concept Witches are psychotic, no moral compass crazy people with no real coherent culture that just murder people all the time because they're at superhero hogwarts is not.

Honestly it's not the horror genre (but honestly can be sometimes) if you want to see the concept and ideas of Coven handled far, far, far better, just watch The Magicians.

ED: Seriously Covens is on my top 3 most incoherent seasons of TV ever made. It's jaw dropping how bad it is. Only recent Walking Dead, Heroes and Dexter are competing.

ED: Also the shared universe has never worked or the witches would have showed up and burned the Hotel from Hotel down after killing Queenie. Possibly with full government support given the dumb way Coven ended and the fact the whole world apparently knows magic is real now?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 19, 2018

• Locked thread