Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Liteace trucks are abundant, have to deal with 5 speed collumn shifting tho

Fascinating. I guess they figure they have to use a linkage anyway. Presumably for cab space reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

The AZ-1 is completely stock, maybe including the headunit? Looks like it has little tweaters installed and an aftermarket key but it looks pretty dang fantastic. The Pajero is in great shape too, it looks like what a conversion van would be in the early 90s that some grandparents would have but instead it's had the conversion bits stuck on a Pajero instead. Peep them Lay-Z-Boy curtains, and the 'arrangement' of buttons it has in the driver's area. Pretty sure that's a CB radio.

KEEP GREEN PAJERO

Ah, that explains what the chrome mast thing is on the rear bumper. some sort of fold-away CB antenna.
Those two are ridiculously clean.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Jimny?

JIMNY OF 4WD

God I love this poo poo.

I'm not clear. Does this have a turbo?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The further I mess with my SA22C, the more I fear it will end up this way at some point.
Currently:

Except now the hood is loose, and the front suspension is sitting on the ground.

e: poo poo. Thought for a minute this was in the "what did you do" thread.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I wanted a Jimny anyway but after seeing this video it made me want one a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQnvbZ250

The little black one with the tractor tires is a 2-stroke. Neat.
Almost want to buy one already modified like that and ship it over to mess with the USDM Samurai guys.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Make friends with another Delica owner, borrow their LHD headlights for the inspection, then put the RHD ones back in and never think about it again.
If you plan to import more Delicas, do the same, except buy one set of headlights from Taiwan.
Or, yeah, find a mechanic who isn't anal-retentive.

edit: assuming that the friend with Delica didn't do the second thing with the mechanic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

I literally just got the pics of it at port in Japan last night and I didn't see them until almost midnight. I'll speak to Matt at JCD about it tonight when I can talk to Japan again.

And here anyways, here is my first purchase. 1993 Toyota Crown Majesta. 6500km. $945. 2JZ engine.

Looks absolutely rust-free

Yes

Heads Up

Ride Height Adjustment, Traction Control

Rear Air and Auto-Tilt Column

Digital Dash

2JZ

Spoils of War (that box is OEM unused Toyota Tire Chains)

I dig this car, even if it's not a V8 (sacrilege!)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

The one everdave linked is a TCR20W chassis ID, so is this entire list. They do not cost a lot and I would suggest you do it yourself. Like goddamn man, most of those are under 500 bucks.

Dammit, now I want a Previa. Always liked them, just because weird, but that's so cheap.

quote:

I'm the CD changer.
Looks great, the last pictures show the damage, of which I wouldn't consider anything besides that lower sill being anything major at all. Like always it looks filthy but it's also rust free to an absurd degree.

Seriously. They couldn't find any other place besides smack dab in the middle of the cargo area?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I must be broken because I want a coaster so much

Fake edit, auto correct decided that should have said disaster, not coaster.

It's amusing when your phone/tablet/computer understands reality better than you do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Aw, gotta wait until 2022 to import a Naked.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Midjack posted:

I dunno, the trucks can really move:
https://youtu.be/J8c5CQtdtgc

OK, that was pretty cool.
Bonus points for the ramen truck being one of the '60s MB Transporters.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I see an RF changer controller. Where's the changer hiding?
At least it's not in the center of the cargo area like the last one...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Perfect.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, which is why both the Rugger and Land Cruiser had those KO2s put on, strictly for aesthetics. They are also good tires too of course but it certainly helped selling them.

EDIT
Costco has KO2s for 137 a piece, not bad.

:mrwhite:

That's the AZ-1?
That looks more like a leaky window or top keeping the carpet wet and rusting from the inside out.
Source: my '70 Olds Cutlass, a Southern car all it's life, with holes in the driver's footwell from a leaking windshield.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

It is the AZ-1, yeah. It isn't a leaking window or anything though, at least I can not find any evidence of water coming in with the (tiny) windows up and the doors close. No mold or mildew in the fabrics. What is a possibility though is those circle shapes in the first and second pictures: The driver's side has rusted enough to have a hole that would allow water to shoot right up into the floor. The passenger side is similar but the circle has moved completely free from it's position. I'm not exactly sure why it's built this way but those metal circles are epoxied into the floor, like they get punched out of the floor then glued back, not welded. I've got a floorboard POR15 kit on the way that should take care of this no problem. I've got to see if I can loosen that metal brace that's bolted to either side though to get full access to the corrosion.

Did you know that the AZ-1 floor is incredibly thin? It is!

Those knockouts are common. I think it has something to do with the rust treatment/primer draining out of the floor pan after the body is immersed during production. My ‘70 Cutlass and my ‘79 RX-7 both have floor plugs. The Cutlass’ are steel, held in with seam sealer, one in each footwell, front and rear, and the RX-7 has rubber plugs in both front foot wells. Not sure about the rear. I have to fix the drivers side one in the RX-7. Apparently it has a leak over the 10 years it’s sat, and therefore rust.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Of course we all want to see more pics, the higher the rest the better. If you don't already have the port pictures then chances are those will be the best ones you'll get before you get your hands on the car.

Hey: Who wants to go on a 5 minute ride in the AZ-1?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0tqoo4JIXw

*bov noise*

Wait... you're not a T-rex?

I want an AZ-1 now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Excuse me, they are white tiger seats not zebra, get it together bub.

Today I started digging into the Pajero's insides. I have a new steam cleaner machine and boy is it nice for lots of things. Specifically with this smoker-the-whole-time-owner the steamer is good for making what looks like coffee as you brush it across the various interior plastic bits.

And the headliner.

What steam cleaner are you using, and would you recommend it, if you don't mind? I'm tired of scrubbing stuff, and my AE86 is really in need.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That looks like a carpet cleaner not a steam cleaner.

Hell of a deal, though.

KakerMix posted:

This one although I haven't done much carpet with it. It's been excellent for just obliterating the cigarette tar. Generally I'd have to go through a ton of cleaning products but now I've just been using distilled water, magic erasers, and a poo poo-ton of paper towels.
So far it's been excellent, produces a lot of steam and since this one has a control knob you can adjust how much steam you need at any time which I take advantage of because different tools change how the steam comes out meaning you can adjust it on the fly.

This Pajero is so goddamned dirty, gently caress.

Thanks, that's the one I was lingering on after you mentioned steam cleaning, oddly enough. Seems to have good reviews on Amazon and YouTube.
For carpet cleaning, one trick a video gave was to work a small area, using both the steam cleaner and a shop-vac immediately after the steam cleaner, while the dirt and stuff is still affected by the steam.

Cigarette tar is amazingly pervasive. You should have seen the house my sister bought and renovated. Former owners were lifetime smokers inside. Very ew.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

If you want a fairly cheap restoration to trim pieces I have been using this on the 300zx to resto the trim :
https://www.amazon.com/SEM-15013-La...TV41XKDGH6DKFXJ

You would have to try and color match (also the paint place by me will match if I wanted to. However , it works really really well for trim pieces. Let it cure for 24 hours and it wont scratch or chip unless you are purposefully trying to take it off. Some other 300zx forums guys have used it on the carpet and the T top leather carry bags and say it wont chip or crack with movement which is insane.

I am almost done with the back half of the 300zx , I will post pictures in that thread so you can see how it looks, I have been very very impressed.

edit: they also have a bunch of colors so go check out their website.

I can also recommend SEM Color Coat. That stuff is great. Some paint shops can custom mix it. You'd have to use a touch-up gun ot Pre-Val sprayer for that, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fuckin’ hoarder.
I’m so jealous

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

What's bright yellow, has a red and white striped front and rear, 35271 kms, AC, and a floor-shift manual transmission with ~4 rear wheels~? This 1991 Mazda Bongo that I bought for 718 american dollars.

1) I could actually use that little truck *as* a truck, considering the dearth of small pickups in the US, and that price even with shipping and such is tempting.

2)

McTinkerson posted:

So when is the turbo 13B swap happening? Mazdarati 2.0?

That idea makes me feel funny in certain places.

edit: seriously, could you just see this thing drifting around turns with the duals smoking?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

You're right, I really should. Sheet translations are real easy, it's the third-party inspection that's important.
If I could glance at sheets and pick it up then yeah I could cruise through the auctions faster without having to ask for translations.

The Google Translate phone app is able to make translations from the camera. I've been using it to translate the stickers and stuff on cars you've posted. It's a bit finicky, and it really hates stylized text, but it mostly works. No idea if there's a desktop equivalent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Snowy posted:

I’m not good at google translate

Le Old public miso
this crawling of
voice
ya, two
oral
to
Seoul

Yeah, like I said, it's finicky, especially with low-rez. You should have seen some of the funny stuff it came up with for the badging/labels on one of Kaker's vans, I think it was.

KakerMix posted:

Translate app does work well enough to figure stuff out, but not on handwriting, it will start to see just lines as characters and attempt to translate them. Knowing the writing would be excellent for the hand-written stuff, which is very common.

Yeha, stylized text and handwritten stuff just baffle it completely, too

KakerMix posted:

It's being sold as-is so probably not able to get an inspection on it, but I asked Yoshi what the writing says that's been crossed out. It doesn't look too bad from here and it's very possible that the missing wheel is behind the seats on the shelf back there. And blue is the better color, red is fine but blue is just nicer.

Agreed, blue is best..

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mtmd posted:

Well, Hiace is released as of 2 days ago. Called the terminal that it's at and it's in a non-TWIC area so all I need to get in is the purchase order and a driver's license. Going to download a few hours worth of podcasts and head down to Houston on Wednesday to pick it up.

Houston is a viable port for RORO?
Dang it, there's one step closer to me buying a JC Cosmo (I'm in Dallas area.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dphi posted:

Now I want to see one drifting

BlackMK4 posted:

edit: Nevermind, but that is perfect.

I feel like I belong here when someone else asks before I can.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, now I kinda want to import and LS swap one.

Good Lord that would be fun.

I love how they just slap fillers in the wheel openings to compensate for the higher suspension of the presumably heavier-duty chassis than it was designed with.

quote:

:getin::getin:

Hnnnnnng. Would be better is a 20B, but still HNNNNGG.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Omg that mazda is beautiful. If only it had a standard transmission?

Do drivers in Japan usually buy MT transmissions?

The JC Cosmo only came with an automatic, because it was a "personal luxury coupe."

edit:

glyph posted:

http://www.calstage.jp/

New page, how about a full page screenshot of the linked site?

"Franch"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Snowy posted:

Weird that nobody does that here in nyc :confused:

In NY, they don't give a poo poo about theirs or anyone else's car, and just park by braille, if what others have said is to be believed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Riller posted:

Tell your buddy he needs a kei deck van if he wants to use it as a golf cart:

Oh, look, another thing I didn’t know I needed, but apparently do now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

beep-beep car is go posted:

Given my bathroom activities they should play Mastodon or something.

BloodBag posted:

Alien Weaponry would be my shittunes of choice

Gotta admit, these made me laugh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Riller posted:

Love the pics of both vehicles! On the Bongo, I'd replace that wooden beam on top of the headache rack with an amber & white LED light bar/strobe combo. Also no clue what function those side clamps have, unless the wooden beam was used to support longer objects (like a ladder or lumber) and those clamps were there to help secure the load.

That’s what I was thinking. The hooks are just the stowed position, probably.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I need a version of one of those that will do US highway speeds. The Dallas=Fort Worth Metroplex is too big/too many highways to not be highway capable.
So, obviously, I need to put a GSXR engine in one.

edit: or, I suppose I could just get a slightly bigger one with a 1.5L or so, like the Bongo.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 15, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

OK, I was trying to figure out the drive arrangement from the pictures, and was just confusing myself.
With that hatch answer, I think I see it - it's a transverse engine and transaxle in the rear, with a beam axle, but halfshafts to the actual hubs, right?
Weird, but neat.

edit: new page! This is on the Acty pickup, for context.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Correct, it's called a De Dion tube axle.

I've heard of/seen a De Dion, but I thought they were independent, utilizing the half-shaft as the upper suspension member.

edit: nope. Straight axle with fixed diff it is. Very interesting.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I'm not sure De Dion did that, Jaguar did though.

Jags definitely did a version of that. It looks like I'm more describing a swing axle, though, maybe. Or whatever the thing in the back of a Triumph Herald.
Check this weird:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

https://puu.sh/Cnzd5/ad8429f41b.mp4

:hellyeah:

That bypass thing works perfectly and sounds great. Installation was easy once I watched some dude on youtube install it, and tore out the headunit(s) from the Rugger to see what was what. The plus side is besides a splice for 12v power everything is untouched. I still have the antennae attached too just in case I want to hear that one single classical station I get. A subwoofer would be a nice addition still.

Cool! I like high-tech stuff, but sometimes the old high-tech is cooler.
If my '79 RX-7 used the later, much cooler, 3-DIN stack, I'd probably make that work with aux-in/BT, but it doesn't, and I never even had the original '79 radio. I've modified it for single DIN and aftermarket gauges years ago. I could probably make the '84-5 stereo fit without the gauges, but then I'd have no fewer gauges.
Maybe I can find an '80s Alpine or Blaupunkt somewhere. I already have a '90s one.

quote:

Oil leak gamble paid off, $229 bucks total. Engine steam cleaning, new valve cover gasket and 'semi-circular' gasket. I'm guessing the circular gasket is the rear main seal but since this is cab-over it's way easy to access?

EDIT or it might be a cam seal?

Probably the cam seal.

edit: I just remembered I have an old-school Sony shafted deck, and a '90s JVC that uses the cartridge for CDs, too. Hmmmm....

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Argh. Wish I was in a position to buy the Bongo.

You’ll have to give us a demo of the sonar and Joyful Talk. :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Midjack posted:

There's a lot of av candidates in the scans you posted but this really jumped out at me:

"Do not remodel so that it does not meet the safety standards stipulated by laws and regulations!
Do not do protrusions and wide tire equipments that do not meet safety standards as violations, so please do not do."

Aw.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78G Prado EX5 with a 5 speed manual transmission, the 'G' stands for 'narrow body', which means it doesn't have the extensions on the fenders that a W would have (W stands for 'wide body'). Top of the line, all options including sunroof and some sort of sued-like interior. Completely stock and original with the exception of the wheels which are some sort of aftermarket variety. Comes pre-installed with BF Goodrich KO2s white letters out hell yeah. Yoshi says the inspector thought it was in fantastic shape and mentioned that he thinks the interior grade should be B rather than C that it shows on the sheet. Two tone silver/blue slate scheme and most important to me, not even 92,000k km, or 57166 total miles. While it isn't a KZ-equipped Prado I'll take what clean and low-mileage 4 door options I can get. Put in a bid for 1,155,556 yen, won for 955,000.

Importer here in Dallas has a '90 Prado with the 2L-TE turbodiesel, automatic, though, and 200K KMs for $9599, guess that's not a bad price, considering.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ctd/d/grand-prairie-toyota-land-cruiser-prado/6790914703.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

That one looks exactly like the one I just bought down to being a narrow body. Shows two batteries in there too, though it is a 12v system so ???. Guess ours will have dual batteries too.
The manual transmission and mileage make all the difference imho, and this one in Dallas looks a bit more worn, decals on the side are a bit chewed and it doesn't look like they detailed it? And why don't they have the spare on the back? :iiam:

I thought pretty much the same as you, both in regards to the detailing, and the difference in cost. I don’t know much about the company other than they have several JDM imports on Craigslist and have had (varying ones - currently mostly Nissans. One is a Pao!) for a while.
They’re definitely don’t have the attention to detail you are giving yours.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

gently caress their keyword-spamming asses.

Agreed. That Prado came up while I was searching for RX-7 stuff. That kind of bull is why I typically use the "search in titles only" option. I've never understood the reasoning - "I'm searching for an sports car. Why yes! I'd love to look at a truck/tractor/random sedan!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BloodBag posted:

What did he mean by this?

I think the implication is that folks in Denver would love that trucklet and fall over themselves to buy it.