Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm almost wondering if Michael's real innovation is moving away from punishment to rehabilitation. All 4 of his charges are 'medium' people, but for different reasons. Tahani did good things for bad reasons, Chidi was so concerned with having the right reason to do things that he was paralysed, Eleanor was basically apathetic and selfish and Jason is ignorant but in an odd way innocent.
Tahani, Chidi and Jason are plausible as border cases, but Eleanor was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Eleanor was an rear end in a top hat to people but it's also pretty understandable how she turned out that way considering how her parents treated her.
Well, either free will exists and no one gets to use that excuse or everyone is a product of their environment and punishing people for it makes no sense. Not that eternal punishment in the afterlife makes much sense to begin with, but at least free will makes it possible to choose to be a good person and therefore avoid it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

While Eleanor and Jason both did horrible and/or selfish things to strangers at least they were doing it to strangers. To put things in perspective, Tahani devoted her entire life to upstaging her sister. Chidi is even worse because he hurt everyone who cared and loved for him and to no ones benefit.

It's weird that you're specifically counting intent for one of them and ignoring it for the other. Tahani may have had bad reasons but she did good things. Whereas Chidi may have done bad things but he never intended any harm. And I'm not convinced that doing bad things to a stranger is actually any better (or worse) than doing them to someone you know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

It's an actions-based point system that doesn't count any positive actions done for selfish reasons. The show is pretty explicit about it

Did we ever get that information from anyone trustworthy though? I don't think we have any way of knowing what the real test is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

clown shoes posted:

The writer of tonight's episode, Megan Amram, is hilarious.

More food puns:
https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/913642289834090497
I'm just quoting this on the assumption that everyone probably wants to read it again.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I watched it once and remember nothing about the story except there was a big fight scene, was very mediocre, and had a ton of fan service but I can't remember what exactly.

Escobarbarian posted:

i literally don't remember a single thing that happened in the veronica mars movie but i think it was ok
Glad I'm not the only one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HPanda posted:

Also possible that Michael stole the four humans from the real good place.
I feel like you're overlooking the fact that Eleanor was the worst.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Oh gently caress. I spent most of my twenties as a professional baguette thief to feed my family. Am I going to the bad place? :ohdear:
The joke about French people automatically going to the bad place was fine, I guess. The followup joke about stealing baguettes being worse than stealing other kinds of bread because it's more French was hilarious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This was the best episode.

DurosKlav posted:

He's terrible, he plays the same drat character on everything and it gets old SOOOOOO drat quickly. The moment he showed up with his back to the camera I thought "oh no please dont let that be Jason Mantzoukas." and audibly groaned when he turned around. I like him in things like the How did this get made podcast but his tv roles are so annoying. I guess I'm in the minority though.
I think I've only seen him in Brooklyn Nine-Nine previously, and I think if I saw a lot of him I'd really start to hate him. But as long as he doesn't stick around too long it'll be fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2PeI0CVEJA

I actually like that song.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

You gotta be metatextual on this. Unless they say he's got a mental illness down the line, he doesn't now.
That's not how mental illness or literary criticism work.

swickles posted:

Is The Good Place the first tv show you have ever seen?
I had no idea who she was and was pretty disappointed when she showed up, given the speculation about who'd play the judge before the episode aired. Apparently she's had minor roles in about three shows I've seen, some of them years ago now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

She was a main featured player on SNL with Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, Will Ferrell, Tracy Morgan, Chris Parnell, Molly Shannon, Will Forte, Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg, etc., and has had roles in a bunch of their projects. So unless you saw absolutely no SNL or related film & TV in the past almost 20 years, I don't know what to tell you.

I have never in my life seen a single episode of SNL. I'm only vaguely aware of what it even is. A topical sketch show? I don't think it's ever been on Australian TV and all I ever hear people say about it is that it "used to be funny".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I think the season should have ended one episode earlier. That would have been a good cliffhanger moment and this episode would have made a good start to season 3.

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know why you were "disappointed" then, because it's not American TV's fault that an Australian doesn't know who American TV actors are.
Because the idea of it being someone famous and unexpected was tantalising and it didn't turn out to be anyone I recognised. Do you not understand what disappointment is? Also, what do you think Australians watch on TV?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

People who say a show "used to be funny" also sometimes yell at kids to get off their lawn, and also have stories about, when they were your age, walking uphill both ways in the snow to, I don't know, play with a hoop and stick or a cup and ball. Music has also remained bad since just after the time they went to college/university or thereabouts.

Are they that out of touch?

No. No, it's the children who are wrong.
In a discussion about how the Simpsons used to be good and isn't any more, there's always someone who'll chime in to say they still watch it and it's still good now. Usually they say it's "just different now, more like South Park". I have literally never heard any defence of SNL more enthusiastic than "it was probably always mostly poo poo, it's just rose-tinted glasses to think it used to be good".

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’ll say 4 episodes. One for everyone else and then one to wrap it up.
Eleanor's wasn't even a full episode, I doubt the others are getting one each. One for Chidi and Tahani, and one for Jason and the whole group getting back together.

Mulva posted:

There's no downside to drug abuse or gluttony or making a bunch of imaginary people to brutally torture for that matter. They live in a post-morality existence. Perhaps a Bad Place person can find a way to be Good, but there isn't really any easy to imagine outlet for a Good Place person to be bad.
As long as they're able to interact with other people, their actions can still affect those other people. And it's not even boredom that would be the biggest issue, IMO. These people have spent their entire lives being good, not for the sake of reward but because good is what they want to be. And now they have no way of being good. There's no one there who needs help. They could magic up some fake people who need help, but that's not real and it's not going to offer any real satisfaction or fulfilment. In a perfect world, how do you cater to people who only want to do good?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Janet's casual, cheery correction of every time she is called a robot or a girl never fails to make me laugh :)

It's probably my favourite thing in the show, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ashpanash posted:

I still don't know what they do if someone in the afterlife is actually named "Janet"

The Janets aren't really named Janet. That's just what Eleanor hears. Just like how she hears everything in English regardless of what language is actually being spoken.

• Locked thread