Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Those pjs looked incredibly uncomfortable too. Who wears form-fitting long sleeved sweaters to bed?

Hey, in a hundred years they'll be wearing them to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oz Fox posted:

It would be funny if the klingon lady that Clem Fandango was banging ends up chasing the discovery around bent on revenge, like Carrie Fisher in the Blues Brothers

Clem Fandango? Ha ha, gently caress. It is the same actor.

(yeah, I'm slow with catching up on this thread)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Those pjs looked incredibly uncomfortable too. Who wears form-fitting long sleeved sweaters to bed?

With tiny chunks of pointy metal on them, too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The_Doctor posted:

My problem was that the tooth brushing scene had some fantastically clunky dialogue. Like, first draft placeholder text that is meant to be punched up in a later pass. If any of my screenwriting students had come up with that, I’d be breaking out the red pen.

Yeah, and not the only example in that episode. I mentioned Michael raising the issue of the waterbear's health with Saru previously. It's got draft-itis all over the place.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I can loving hear you Clem Fandango

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Kinda weird that they explicitly showed Michael using a holographic/computer mirror in the same ep (or was it the previous one?). Maybe the mirror in the toothbrush scene is also digital. Maybe the delay is just a computer glitch?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That bathroom mirror is the emergency backup mirror system for when the main holographic mirror matrix array goes down (which happens whenever there's a reflecton leak in the image reversal beam)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'd consider myself a huge Trekkie and I'm still enjoying the show.

I love how Voq speaks as well, it's hilarious. His voice is so absolutely bizzare, I can't think of anyone who sounds like him. It's a bit like the Bane voice from Dark Knight Rises.

I also like everyone on the crew and don't understand the people hating the liuetenant or Michael's roommate. They're nice and the complaining about them arguing all the time seems bizzare.

But the new Klingons are rubbish. The spikey costumes look stupid and the new ships look stupid as well. It does remind me of JJ Trek to a degree with that. I'm totally fine with updating looks because technology is better. So make the Klingon makeup more extreme and have them all speak Klingon all the time. That's good and I like it. But to completely and utterly change how they are (as others have said) you might as well just go for another race.
It being a prequel is poo poo too since it means we know for sure the spore drive fails at some point. Sure it's the journey rather than the end point that really matters but it still means they don't have a lot of room to do stuff.
I think the holographic communicator stuff is a bit stupid because TOS doesn't have it and it was such a huge deal when they had it for that one episode of DS9. I get why they've made the choice but I can't say I agree with it.

Like someone else said I wish there was more connection between this show and other Star Trek series, visually. So far there really isn't.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
STD is the prime example of people making a subsequent product without actually understanding what made the original thing popular or good

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

STD is the prime example of people making a subsequent product without actually understanding what made the original thing popular or good

The original wasn't good, it was just there.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rocksicles posted:

The original wasn't good, it was just there.

TNG and DS9 were good and what most people think of nowadays with Star Trek

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

They're ashamed of making a Star Trek show/movie, except for when they think they can leverage the IP to get nerds to pay for more of it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Remember Kirk and Spock from back when you watched TV in the 60's and 70's???

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It really does feel like sometimes the producers researched what qualities in shows made the most money, and then slapped it together into one giant bible and told the writers “alright nerds, make this work. Also I remember this Spork guy is popular, make sure he’s connected somehow”.

Also, how are Nick Meyer and Joe Menosky involved in any way? From working in production, I know that the “co-executive producer” title can mean as little as “we talked on the phone one time and he gets a check”. The cynical side of me thinks they’re just on there as lip service to fans saying, look, we got some of the old guard in here!

That being said, despite its flaws, I’m enjoying DIS and hope it works its kinks out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Frankly I could absolutely go for a Menosky episode right about now. But failing that, if I had to guess what he contributed, "the ship runs on teleporting mushrooms that permeate the entire universe" sounds right up his alley and I wouldn't be surprised if he originated the concept.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Frankly I could absolutely go for a Menosky episode right about now. But failing that, if I had to guess what he contributed, "the ship runs on teleporting mushrooms that permeate the entire universe" sounds right up his alley and I wouldn't be surprised if he originated the concept.

I adore Menosky and his :catdrugs: episodes. If we get even one of those this season, I’ll be pretty happy. Bonus if it’s directed by Frakes.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
[quote="“Phi230”" post="“477607223”"]
TNG and DS9 were good and what most people think of nowadays with Star Trek
[/quote]

My late stage realization:

TNG Is really good and is totally corny absurd Trek. DS9 is really good and is nothing like TNG or what people claim Star Trek is.

DIS is way more "Star Trek" than DS9 ever was. The Tardigrade is totally crazy rear end Star Trek fantasy. The annoying roommate is total soap opera Star Trek.

I am really digging DIS. I hope they keep up with the out there ideas. That's what Star Trek was always about. The Universe has some loving weird rear end poo poo in it, and it's loving cool.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Klingons in this series think Starfleet is all like: "Ah! We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill; we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men."

I think the writers probably listened to that song and that's the extent of the "research" of original Trek that was done.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Phi230 posted:

And people who don't understand what made the original thing popular or good lapping it up.

eyebeem posted:

My late stage realization:

TNG Is really good and is totally corny absurd Trek. DS9 is really good and is nothing like TNG or what people claim Star Trek is.

DIS is way more "Star Trek" than DS9 ever was. The Tardigrade is totally crazy rear end Star Trek fantasy. The annoying roommate is total soap opera Star Trek.

I am really digging DIS. I hope they keep up with the out there ideas. That's what Star Trek was always about. The Universe has some loving weird rear end poo poo in it, and it's loving cool.

*cough*

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DS9 was the best trek because it was the least trek :colbert:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

DS9 was the best trek because it was the least trek :colbert:

:wrong:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The first episode of DS9 was a man trying to explain to a bunch of gods what time is.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Star Trek Discovery: You’re Enjoying it Incorrectly :mad:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Apollo posted:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Life: You’re Enjoying it Incorrectly :mad:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I don't care about what makes it "Star Trek". I'm enjoying the show even at the breakneck pace they're throwing it at us.

But I still don't like the Klingons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

New wild theory: the spore network is so unlikely because it isn't natural. It was bioengineered by the Tardigrade species to let them teleport around the galaxy as they like; they're an an advanced post-starship species. At the end of the season, they'll modify it to cut the Federation off from it, because we tortured one of their members.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Klingons in this series think Starfleet is all like: "Ah! We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill; we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men."

I don't think that is correct.

It's instead a fundamental mistranslation between cultures of what "peace" means. Starfleet means it as "we come to try and be friends and see what we can learn and exchange with each other" while Discovery era Klingons interpret peace as "stay out of each others way".

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I was hoping the reason the Klingons interpreted "We come in peace" as hostile was because peace is the opposite of Klingon culture. To T'Kuvma coming in peace would mean wanting to destroy what it means to be Klingon.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr. Apollo posted:

:hai:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SpaceCommie posted:

I was hoping the reason the Klingons interpreted "We come in peace" as hostile was because peace is the opposite of Klingon culture. To T'Kuvma coming in peace would mean wanting to destroy what it means to be Klingon.

T'Kuvma says that explicitly in the first (or second, maybe) episode. The motivation of the Klingons is the root beer conversation from DS9 writ large, they're not just randomly attacking people.
It's also something that comes up in Way of the Warrior, but the way the old Klingons dealt with it worked better I think. They're viking berserkers and Discovery ones are like Janissaries.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MikeJF posted:

New wild theory: the spore network is so unlikely because it isn't natural. It was bioengineered by the Tardigrade species to let them teleport around the galaxy as they like; they're an an advanced post-starship species. At the end of the season, they'll modify it to cut the Federation off from it, because we tortured one of their members.
I like this idea. It's better than the idea that they somehow destroy it by accident or whatever.

Also, considering where the plot may be going, if the mycelium network is curated, it may be cut off because the Federation and Klingons both end up using it for their war and the tardigrade people or whatever just want them to stop.

While I was originally disappointed that the prequel nature of this show meant there was no way for the spore drive to really work out, I'm now kinda anxious about the exact way it ends up not working out. I'm worried it'll be destroyed, hoping for your scenario where it'll just be cut off. And I guess the last option is that there are just a bunch of side effects that keep cropping up and it ends up staying totally classified, which isn't the most satisfying conclusion, as we've seen it's got some serious usefulness and some people would want to just deal with the consequences. I guess that depends on the consequences though.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Taear posted:

T'Kuvma says that explicitly in the first (or second, maybe) episode. The motivation of the Klingons is the root beer conversation from DS9 writ large, they're not just randomly attacking people.
It's also something that comes up in Way of the Warrior, but the way the old Klingons dealt with it worked better I think. They're viking berserkers and Discovery ones are like Janissaries.

I thought they came close to saying that but it swerved and they said it was more just that the federation lies, I'll have to watch again.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Eiba posted:

I like this idea. It's better than the idea that they somehow destroy it by accident or whatever.

The Tardigrade was Q. That's why he goes so far out of his way to gently caress with the Federation later.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I hope instead of ending with the spore network technology being destroyed/abandonded/rendered useless, it somehow allows for a second season about the ship exploring all kinds of new parts of the universe. Like maybe they go on a deeply classified exploration of Andromeda or something. Maybe there are whole arcs about them getting stuck in far flung situations which don't conflict with canon because of how remote they are.

Admittedly wishful thinking.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I hope instead of ending with the spore network technology being destroyed/abandonded/rendered useless, it somehow allows for a second season about the ship exploring all kinds of new parts of the universe. Like maybe they go on a deeply classified exploration of Andromeda or something. Maybe there are whole arcs about them getting stuck in far flung situations which don't conflict with canon because of how remote they are.

Star Trek: Discovery: Actually just a Voyager refit

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So far the show feels like it was meant to be a one off. I know the original idea was to be a bit like True Detectives where each series is self contained.
I don't know how they'll carry this on, it just doesn't feel like it'll work.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

The_Doctor posted:

My problem was that the tooth brushing scene had some fantastically clunky dialogue. Like, first draft placeholder text that is meant to be punched up in a later pass. If any of my screenwriting students had come up with that, I’d be breaking out the red pen.

Culber’s really awkward line: “Well, one tends to worry when they’re doomed to love a brilliant but reckless maniac who’s willing to risk his life for glory.” is a horrible run on sentence, and it manages to pack about 4 clichés into that.

It is not a run on sentence so I'm not sure if I'd believe you're really in charge of editing people's grammar :|

In real life, people occasionally craft overly verbose lines like that.

quote:

I’m surprised they had the restraint not to try and shove a kiss in there too.

Another poster thought they should have gone farther and had a kiss: which of you is correct and who is incorrect?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They should have kissed because the sound of all the homophobic Trekkies exploding could have been heard from orbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm eagerly awaiting the new episode, and hope its as good as the rest have been! It needs more gay kisses. Perhaps burnham and tilly, just to gently caress with people?