Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope the historical franchise dies and they just start making more fantasy games.

Still really don't think I'm ever gonna buy a historical TW game again. I've played spearmans pokeython simulator before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jamwad Hilder posted:

To be fair I tend to play that way in Warhammer too, it's basically the Dwarfs MO, but even then it's not the same. If you're playing as the Romans you don't have to worry about dragons flying over your legions to torch your ballistas directly or a giant ball of lightning ripping a hole in your lines.
I kinda want to try that in a Skaven campaign now. A mix of WLCs, Jezzails and Ratlings might mean that by the time they get to your (crappy, very non-invincible) front-line infantry they're almost all dead anyway. Rats can be the new dwarfs.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Are there even that many fantasy settings that could offer such variety, though? While still fitting into being a Total War game? That’s why I assume we’ll just eventually get TW:Age of Sigmar no matter how much some people wouldn’t like that.

I’d be really interested in what CA could do with an original fantasy IP but that sounds like a pretty big risk.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zephro posted:

Duardin™ Fyreslayers™ .

This one and the elf renames really baffle me because they already had trademarks on poo poo like “dawi” and “druchii”

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zephro posted:

I kinda want to try that in a Skaven campaign now. A mix of WLCs, Jezzails and Ratlings might mean that by the time they get to your (crappy, very non-invincible) front-line infantry they're almost all dead anyway. Rats can be the new dwarfs.
I'm doing this right now and its amazing.

You can practically do it with Ikit's starting army against the AI because you can use The Menace Below and the Doom Flayers to just troll the poo poo out of them, and their army ends up pez'ing into the range of your Ratling Guns.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

I hope the historical franchise dies and they just start making more fantasy games.

Same because it would mean they could jettison a bunch of the old historical nonsense from the framework knowing they won't need it for future releases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Total War of the Ring could be alright. The battle for middle earth games were great fun.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

As I mentioned when replying to Dartonus, we are controlling our enemies armies. I am planning on being an absolute coward at the beginning until I get a full army going so I can preserve my Jezzails and Ratling Gunners. Instead of bumrushing the Vampirate army that is my initial/turn 1 fight, I am going to go into ambush stance right outside my town to hopefully draw the AI in, and I'll be recruiting some Skavenslaves to fill out my ranks.

I'd say that's not necessary. I'm not sure if the starter vampire coast rebel army will go for your town, it might not be strong enough, but you should be able to take it in a straight fight pretty easily for sure and that's much better than it retreating and joining up with the other army.

Jezzails can snipe the bloated corpses and the lord, or you can use the doom flayer to attack the infantry in front of the bloated corpses and they'll suicide bomb their own unit - causing minimal damage to the doom flayers due to the low unit count. From there it's just Vampire Coast chaff to mop up. Lock down the gunners and you're fine.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This one and the elf renames really baffle me because they already had trademarks on poo poo like “dawi” and “druchii”

It all makes sense when you realize that GW gets off making bad decisions.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Has anyone else run into a bug where they can't recruit any of the Skaven RORs that are unlocked via the workshop? Even ones I could previously grab are showing as "unable to recruit" now...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I find that Rome 2 is the only historical I tend to return to when I have a historical itch because there's a bit more roster diversity, but ultimately it still doesn't hold a candle to Warhammer, and unless you're playing one of the cavalry-only factions the game basically turns into building armies of the heaviest possible infantry + artillery to force the enemy to march across the field and get slaughtered by your borderline invincible infantry.

I don't know if it did gangbusters but Shoguns 1 and 2 are among CA's best title and those have the least amount of roster variety of any Total War game. As well as a relatively small roster, but this also meant that each unit and every unit actually had a use and its niche and there were very few units that were just like another unit, only better. Even Yari Ashigaru were quite different from Yari Samurai and basically fulfilled a different role in your armies than the Samurai spearmanni. Some units unlocked later than others, but practically all units could be useful throughout the entire campaign.

I'm actually looking forward to Three Kingdoms, especially the character and diplomacy stuff. Sadly it seems like they haven't gone fully in on the Shogun model for how a roster should look, appears to be a bit more bloated and with more units that are just straight upgrades from others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For whatever reason using the underway stance kills my framerate but it jumps back to normal when I switch to an above ground stance.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

For whatever reason using the underway stance kills my framerate but it jumps back to normal when I switch to an above ground stance.

Sounds like the pathing engine goes to complete poo poo, calculating your move distance and areas.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Randarkman posted:

I don't know if it did gangbusters but Shoguns 1 and 2 are among CA's best title and those have the least amount of roster variety of any Total War game. As well as a relatively small roster, but this also meant that each unit and every unit actually had a use and its niche and there were very few units that were just like another unit, only better. Even Yari Ashigaru were quite different from Yari Samurai and basically fulfilled a different role in your armies than the Samurai spearmanni. Some units unlocked later than others, but practically all units could be useful throughout the entire campaign.

Sure, but that was pre-Warhammer. I could enjoy armies composed of filthy dudes in rags in Attila, but I don't especially want to go back to that after I've been spoiled by walking shipwrecks and animated statues

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

team overhead smash posted:

I'd say that's not necessary. I'm not sure if the starter vampire coast rebel army will go for your town, it might not be strong enough, but you should be able to take it in a straight fight pretty easily for sure and that's much better than it retreating and joining up with the other army.

Jezzails can snipe the bloated corpses and the lord, or you can use the doom flayer to attack the infantry in front of the bloated corpses and they'll suicide bomb their own unit - causing minimal damage to the doom flayers due to the low unit count. From there it's just Vampire Coast chaff to mop up. Lock down the gunners and you're fine.
I see, thanks for the follow up. I'll have to give it a try solo just to get a feel for fighting that army. I'm just worried that my friend will find a way to troll the poo poo out of me and kill the Jezzails/and or Ratling Gunners if I make a mistake.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

peer posted:

Sure, but that was pre-Warhammer. I could enjoy armies composed of filthy dudes in rags in Attila, but I don't especially want to go back to that after I've been spoiled by walking shipwrecks and animated statues

3K people are very fashionable

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

peer posted:

The clear solution is for CA to allow mods that import warhams units into other games. It's not going to happen but I can still dream of ratmen eating Lu Bu

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Steam! Head! Duardins!!!!!!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

OwlFancier posted:

Still really don't think I'm ever gonna buy a historical TW game again. I've played spearmans pokeython simulator before.

3K is fantasy though

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Rome 2 and Atilla have the worst building chains and research trees from all TW games. Nothing like bankrupting yourself because the new, marginally better spearmen are twice as expensive in upkeep, and the old one are locked away. Or that choice of either having a centralised government or concrete. I was really happy that WH1 returned to meaningful building improvements. I'm a bit afraid that character interaction stuff in TW3K will be the next fun killing hassle.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Randarkman posted:

I'm actually looking forward to Three Kingdoms, especially the character and diplomacy stuff. Sadly it seems like they haven't gone fully in on the Shogun model for how a roster should look, appears to be a bit more bloated and with more units that are just straight upgrades from others.

Totally agreed, Shogun 2 is probably my all time favorite historical title discounting Warhammers, but there are only so many ways to conquer Japan

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
They fixed the launcher!?!? Now I can play again

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
This is probably a question I should have asked asked before I made five Skink Priests who were specced into Corruption Cleansing, but do local effects stack? I am seeing contradictory information about online, which doesn't help .

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like the historical games best but only when modded out the rear end so each battle is like a little historical diorama where I can zoom about looking at some nerds recreation of armour from a mosaic and learn the Greek for "bearer of apples"
Especially DeI or FotE where every regiment looks like Theyr made up of individuals of roughly the same social class but a random assortment of armour they had to hand until you get to the serious imperial powers who can afford uniforms

I am worried that 3K is going to be less of a big mainline game hot off the back of Warhammer 1 and 2 and instead will just be ThroB China.
Complete with samy rosters, campaign complexity that ultimately adds nothing but distraction from battles and every unit being the same 2 people copy pasted 200 times.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SkySteak posted:

This is probably a question I should have asked asked before I made five Skink Priests who were specced into Corruption Cleansing, but do local effects stack? I am seeing contradictory information about online, which doesn't help .

it should. if you hover your mouse over the corruption percentage or whatever it should say how the percentage change is being calculated. Typically its something like this:
Untainted:
Characters 5
Buildings 4
Commandments 1

Vampiric Corruption:
Osmosis 2
Characters 1

and the numbers obviously go up or down based on what's going on/who is in the province

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Re: Total War and historical titles.

Still waiting for Medieval 3. :colbert:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm waiting for them to go back to the boardgame style campaign map because the fancy graphics version has had issues.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Trip report: Skaven Gunline vs. Archaon Doomstack:

Turns out, even shielded chosen die plenty good to three units of Ratling Guns, and Archaon eats poo poo in seconds when concentrated by three units of Jezzails and a Warp Lightning cannon. Sprinkle in Plagueclaws, Warp Lightning, Doomflayers, and Rat Ogres to taste.

Watching entire units of Chaos Knights get loving shredded by Ratling Guns will never get old, holy gently caress.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm waiting for them to go back to the boardgame style campaign map because the fancy graphics version has had issues.

Yup! My computer is much louder on the campaign map when I'm just sitting there than in battles. And then when I end my turn it goes even harder.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SkySteak posted:

Using characters for corruption cleansing is really not cost effective though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

First time recruiting a Pestilent Scheme Priest, do I just want to pick a high value target that I dont have an undercity in, orrrrr...?

Gonkish posted:

Trip report: Skaven Gunline vs. Archaon Doomstack:

Turns out, even shielded chosen die plenty good to three units of Ratling Guns, and Archaon eats poo poo in seconds when concentrated by three units of Jezzails and a Warp Lightning cannon. Sprinkle in Plagueclaws, Warp Lightning, Doomflayers, and Rat Ogres to taste.

Watching entire units of Chaos Knights get loving shredded by Ratling Guns will never get old, holy gently caress.
Well, now I have a new campaign goal for Ikit Claw.

SkySteak posted:

One thing to note is that their effect will require an end-of-turn to show when mousing over the provincial modifiers for gain/loss.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 25, 2019

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttGvSDVEuUU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Fangz posted:

Using characters for corruption cleansing is really not cost effective though.

Naturally, buildings, and other various effects are so much more effective, but I just wanted to bring corruption down as quickly as possible.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SkySteak posted:

Naturally, buildings, and other various effects are so much more effective, but I just wanted to bring corruption down as quickly as possible.

There are some really great retainer things that give a shitload of corruption stuff. Arch Lector for Empire is also very effective.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

SickZip posted:

The quality of a total war game has very little to do with how it sells. Their 2 best selling titles are Rome 2 and Empire. Both of which were non-functional at release and one of which is still barely functional. This is not just a matter of hype and super high opening day sales either, these titles stayed selling even after everyone knew they were janky as gently caress.

People buy these games when the setting/era catches their attention and the number of their potential customers who know or care who Cao Cao is is low. Unless the game really takes off in China, it's odds for success are poor

I actually want to play the game so having a quality release is what I care about. The success of the game in certain regions is on their marketing team.

I have been watching CA streams of early builds of 3K. My wife tells me the Mandarin that the voice actors say in the game sounds really stupid to an actual speaker of the language. I am going to play the most talkative lord I can find.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 25, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They should take a page out of Paradox's book and do a cross between sunset invasion from ck2 and endgame crises from Stellaris, and have a random Warhammer faction invade your historical campaign halfway through. All of a sudden the Skaven are pouring out of Prague because gently caress you, that's why.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dramicus posted:

They should take a page out of Paradox's book and do a cross between sunset invasion from ck2 and endgame crises from Stellaris, and have a random Warhammer faction invade your historical campaign halfway through. All of a sudden the Skaven are pouring out of Prague because gently caress you, that's why.

This is an excellent idea. If TW3K could end with a giant WAAAGH! seizing control of ancient China, I would have to buy it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Expect some sort of extended total war world in the next 10 years

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want an Empire start in a different theater.

Maybe there'll be some cool chaos portal poo poo going on in WH3 that opens up the map in cool and interesting ways because it sucks playing as old world factions just knowing there's a bigger, better fight somewhere else to be had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I knew that Lizardmen rode around on giant dinosaurs, but that might be pushing it a little.