Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
So I'm coming up on the last 10 turns of an Eltharion campaign, and I've been thoroughly enjoying it as my first foray into High Elves. The Mistwalkers are super cool and Archmages are solid Lord choices. However, I have yet to have a single person to interrogate in Athel Tamara. It says there's a chance from auto resolve, but I've gotten zero from that, and the one or two times I DID try and use the Warden's Cage, it didn't seem to work (one of which was during his Quest Battle so maybe that did it?). Did I miss anything cool from that?

Edit: I then attacked a Rogue Army and captured it's leader, got the message about capturing him from the old man, then went to look and nobody is in Athel Tamara. Now I'm just confused.

Sarcastastic fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Speaking of Empire, I decided to start up a Markus campaign because his stuff seems neat. Spirit of the Jungle was paying me for a peace treaty on turn 11, and I hadn't even seen them yet, so that's how that's going. Any major tips for Markus other than "Archer good, aggression good, reinforcements good"?

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Should I be keeping all of Markus' Hunters with his army? It seems like a lot of slots for heroes, but they are also really useful, although I don't want to use another slot to get access to a lore of magic in his stack.

Also, now I need to discover the High Elves so I can start my trade empire. Also also, I continue to HATE Luthor Harkon in every campaign that starts in Lustria. He's a huge pain in the early rear end.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Thank you all for the advice. Between learning Markus, I'm also introducing a friend to the game, and he's intent on being Gelt to start, so I'm walking him through that and learning how Empire has changed since game 1. It's quite the journey hahaha!

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
After finishing up with Markus (Who was a ton of fun, assloads of Huntsmen and a couple cannons make Nakai a sad crocboi) I decided to do the other flavour of invader with Repanse. I've basically painted the entire Southlands my colour except the dwarfs and Sudenburg, and I'm still like 700 Chivalry short. Starting to invade Lustria, since I guess that's my best option?

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Having cleared the Southlands of everything, Harkon has now killed 2 of my lords that had their Grail Vow, so I'm starting to hate him even more than I already did. I'm just really bad with Bretonnia, and autoresolve absolutely loves Harkon/Coast. I'm finding I don't really like the vows mechanic in how it disincentivizes late game builds, though I have the income to not really care about the upkeep. I should just poop out mass amounts of lords with Peasant/lower tier knight stacks I guess.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there a reason why these dickhole High Elves won't trade with me a Bretonnia? I have good relations and they just outright refuse.

I was having the same issues, especially with Teclis. Even Kroq Gar was friendlier with me, and I wiped him off the Southlands. Did you nab the research for better relations with Elves? Between that and fighting enemies closer to him he finally let me trade with him.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Also, having just finished the Wulfhart campaign as mentioned above, his half of the DLC is also super fun. It's really unique in that you can bank dudes to spawn armies or reinforce in the field.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Wait, what the gently caress is a Saurian. Mid way between the two?

Dread Saurian is Godzilla-gator-rex.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Sega 32X posted:

So I really want to like Total War games but keep bouncing off them a couple battles in (too lazy to get good at RTSes I suppose). Tried Rome, Shogun, at least one other old one. I also want to like Warhammer but have always bounced off it. Is it worth getting one of these two games while it's on sale and should I start with one to save the five bucks in case I don't like it?

It was my first foray into Total War (Although I tried Shogun out beforehand in anticipation) and yeah, it's really weird and hard to get a handle on at first. Especially if you're used to other types of RTS combat. This one LOVES positioning way more. The above suggestions are fantastic, but also watch some youtube videos of battles or battle basics, try some easy, treat it like a 4x and "ignore" combat with autoresolve as mentioned. When it does click, they're right, the addiction hits hard.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
So since I am apparently addicted to the Southlands, I started a Settra campaign (and because he was who I wanted to play when I was trying to get into fantasy back in the day). Went much better than the last bunch of times I tried. Got his stack full of Ushabti and Tomb Guard now with some other stuff for flavour. His magic lore seems uninspiring, is that just me? Also, should I just be wiping all the filthy meat-havers off of my lawn? Imrik has actually survived for once and has a good chunk, but has a trade agreement with me, so I don't know if I wanna wipe him out or not.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Captain Beans posted:

uh uninspiring???? have you use the spell that buffs archers? the stat effect is ok, but the real standout is that it causes a bunch audio of random skeleton chanting mumbo jumbo to play for like 20 seconds every time you cast it.

I did not know this, but between this and the other comment, hot drat, I'm gonna spam it. Then again, Settra isn't gonna stay anywhere near the ranged bois.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Wouldn't Skaven also be able to use Doomflayers as rout chasers? I never made good use of them in my campaign, but they could fill that slot no?

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
So putting together a stack of Nakai, Lizard Wizard, Scar Veteran, Dread Saurian, 5 Temple Guard, and the rest of the stack 50/50 between sacred and regular Kroxigors, I been having a blast just bashing all of my problems. Assloads of Kroxigors under Nakai solve a surprisingly large number of problems. Early on I was ambushed by Wulfhart with a full stack and a small reinforcement army, I wasn't even a full stack yet, but handily crushed it with scaly wrath. I love my big death rolling bois.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Buddy that I've been teaching the game started a Mannfred campaign, made this in response to his early game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
One thing I've never been clear on is do redline buffs and other buffs actually get factored in for Autoresolve? It might say somewhere, but I've never seen anything to clarify stuff like that.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

I keep running into this thing where I start sieging a settlement and it won't let me attack manually or auto resolve. I just had two armies sitting on Khemri for like 4 turns and it never gave me an option to do anything. Is this a bug?

Other than not having siege attackers for walls/gates? Hopefully it's just as simple as that.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Do I have to have a specific kind of unit to do that? I’ve been running eshin night runner armies for 70 rounds and it wasn’t happening

It only happens if the settlement has walls, so minor settlements usually don't, but capitals do by default I believe (usually). You need something with the Siege Attacker trait, like a plagueklaw catapult or the Warpgrinders (I think they have it?). Some bigger monsters have it too, I don't know what things off the top of my head do, since I almost always have artillery in my army anyway.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
I coulda sworn that at around when the base game came out, only Siege Attackers could attack the gate, hence it being such a big deal that Vlad was given the trait. It seems that changed, but I still have muscle memory of only sending things that the "break the gate" icon appeared for at it, so when I was playing with Grom I was confused why he was able to.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Allow me to set the stage for you fine goons. I'm playing a co-op campaign with my friend, he's Skarsnik, so I decided I'd be Durthu to be nearby and benefit from him spreading far and wide. Fun way to try out the Wood Elves campaign.

Well, over time, each other wood elf faction keeps declaring war on him and then being a pain in my rear end, until we got to Belegar sacking the Oak of Ages. After he was dealt with, Orion decided he'd had enough of the goblins and declared war on them. For the crime of standing with Skarsnik, he decided to also attack the Oak of Ages. At this point Orion then also decided that defying him could only be answered with burning down the whole drat tree, and razed it to the ground.

Now I get this is just "Raze enemy settlement" AI logic, but we were laughing our asses off at Orion's thought process of answering goblins with the destruction of his own kingdom and race.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

This owns and makes me think i should finally try a dwarf campaign.

Dwarfs have a lot of really fun/stupid events that pop up to really emphasize this too, like one where it ponders whether fulfilling a grudge is worth it or not, and the two options are differently worded but identical outcomes that just say "THE GRUDGE MUST BE SETTLED!" among others.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
This dwarf grudge talk reminds me of another fine example that is referenced with an in-game event. Apparently there was a minor Empire noble who commissioned a fort built by some dorfs (because of course you would). Once they were finished, the dwarf going over the paperwork noticed they were shortchanged somewhere along the line by 2 coins, and thus a swarm of angry, pint-sized demolitionists piranha'd the fort out of existence to the last brick as vengeance.

You get this grudge in game and have to raze an Empire settlement I believe, the reward for completing the grudge being 2 gold.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

How do you ask “I’d like to speak with your manager” in Dari?

Kazukhan Karen-kan HA

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Eltharion and Grom's campaigns, while not massively better for it, are at least steps in the right direction. I really enjoyed their campaign structure.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Zzulu posted:

That's cuz the campaigns are boring. If they added more unique quest battles and unique sieges with a really cool end siege like in the Grom DLC, I'm sure more people would play the vortex campaigns to the bitter end

Agreed, I've gotten to the end of my last couple campaigns because they've all had interesting end fights (Wulfheart, Nakai, Settra, Eltharion, Grom) but then again, I gave up on Repanse even though she had one because gently caress farming all the chivalry, it shouldn't take almost 200 turns to get to the end fight. Pepper in some more cool fights and I'd be a happy camper. The quest battles are almost always rad, so toss in some more like that.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Tenacious J posted:

I just picked the game up and it seems really fun, but the vortex campaign was confusing for 30 turns then I lost all my good armies. If people don't play the vortex campaign then what do they play? Mortal Empires?

Not all Vortex Campaigns are created equal sadly. It's the base game 2 races that tend to have the worst ones (Aka anything that actually cares about the Vortex) but most of the DLC ones don't, so they're just on the smaller, more manageable to start map. Stuff like Nakai, Grom, etc.

Mortal Empires is great depending on race/start for the most part. It just tends to be daunting to new comers because it's so massive, but you only really have to focus on your section of the map as you go for most campaigns.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the ship already sailed on him being a fascist, its legal to roast his voice for being a weird voice that all the racist europeans on youtube put on. im not doing a persuasive powerpoint for the board of directors here.

unrelated to that, does anyone have any ideas of lords they could add to norsca? basically every other warriors of chaos LL is heavily aligned to one god or another which would gently caress up their campaign gimmick.

I say give us Surtha Ek, long may he roll! BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION!

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
I'm thinking I want to start a Vampires ME campaign, and am torn between Mannfredd or the OG Vlad. I'm leaning Vlad, but having the stronger caster and zombie dragon is tempting. I guess I can just beat him into submission and make him in my army either way, but any thoughts?

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
I can't speak to their old book, but I have a friend who is passionate about the Chorfs. What I do know is that their coverage in Tamurkhan is a limited version of their roster, representing a specific dude's army, the Legion of Azgorh, as opposed to the armies of Zarr Naggrund in it's entirety. So all we have from Forgeworld is that limited roster (correct me if I'm wrong) so I am excited to see CA update the older books to look modern and good.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

AnEdgelord posted:

Thats all true but almost certainly any Chaos Dwarf roster that appears in game 3 is going to be based on the Legion of Azgorh list, there is certainly room for expansion though and its very likely they'll mine the old books for extra units to fill out the roster especially when it comes to Legendary Lords since the Legion of Azgorh list only has Drazoath.

Oh absolutely, I meant add and update the old stuff to match the awesome that is the Legion.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Rhjamiz posted:

Folks were talking about good casted competitive MP matches a while back. Who are the best people to watch for that kind of stuff? I know Turin but I assume there are others.

I'm a big fan of Heir of Carthage's stuff. He's the fun kinda dweeb who just really loves this stuff and makes lame dad jokes all throughout. It's great.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
A dude over on youtube did a deep dive into old Wood Elf poo poo to get ideas and speculate. He said a lot of what came up here like the beastmaster units and the chariot (that apparently also had stag or unicorn options) but also a really old shapechanger unit. That'd be pretty neat, but hard to implement I imagine.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
I'm pretty sure Tomb Kings magic back in 6th was almost entirely "cast spell on unit to hit again/shoot again" or "cast spell to walk again", and because I knew nothing of Tomb Kings since buying in at that time, I was confused when that *wasn't* their entire spell list. That and Settra being able to have Liche Priests in his army at all, since he couldn't back in the day. You know what, I'm surprised the Hieratic Hierarchy didn't also make it in, in some weird form or another, speaking of weird rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
I hear this talk of wanting to tie high tier units to resources and my brain/ptsd go straight to amber being awful.