Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Only thing about the OP i'm gonna mention because I'm a giant dumb nerd

The Dark Elf area they live at is actually called Naggaroth and is a separate continent from Lustria
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

HannibalBarca posted:

>not farming PUBG crates for the past 2 months on steam to buy TWWH2 for cheap

but i've only owned pubg for 1 month :negative:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mukip posted:

Dark Elves also have a mechanic where they can name their generals something like xXDarkSwordKillerXx96 and then get a bonus to their skills, which suits them perfectly.

Skaven have a loyalty mechanic instead, which can cause your generals to rebel.

Dark Elves also have the loyalty mechanic FYI.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

Part of it is for a boardgame night so I clearly just need to bring Warhammer Diskwars

better yet, bust out actual whfb :black101:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ze Pollack posted:

an army of five thousand rats against 800 lizards being a very winnable battle for the lizards owns, mind, but their lineup screams for a Nasty Skulkers-like to help solve the problem of Some Of Our Enemies Wear Armor at tier 1.

Warplock Jezzails could very easily be that unit so I have high hopes for the Skaven dlc

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of Black Arks, so far I've just been using them for supporting my land armies and coastal invasions, but they seem like they could be incredibly useful even on their own. Load one up with a dozen corsairs or thereabouts, sail over to the southlands, and just sack every unguarded coastal city you find down there, safe in the knowledge that your victims will probably never ever get around to taking revenge on you.

So exactly how they're used in the fluff :unsmigghh:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gonkish posted:

Oh my god, the last ritual is 20 turns long and halfway through you get a cutscene and it's so good.

The Skaven built a loving warpstone-powered rocket ship manned by a loving terrified rat man and launched it into orbit to look like the comet, tricking everyone into doing these rituals. THEY loving SCIENCED THE gently caress OUT OF THE REST OF THE WORLD. I loving love Skaven.

I was worried that they would kind of make Malekith the "main" bad guy since he can easily be a Darth Vader/Doctor Doom type character who has a personal connection with the "Heroes" (HElves) and end up sidelining the Skaven in the process. The fact that they subverted that and leaned into the Skaven being the big bads is so cool

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Jezzails might make more sense functioning as artillery units. Unlike warp lightning cannon they don't have AoE but might have something else to make up for it; perhaps Perfect Stalk like waystalkers which not only stealths them but also doesnt reveal them when firing. With a long range and difficult to spot projectile it would be great as an annoying way to pick off enemy lords in multilayer, and in single player you could put it by itself somewhere it will have clear los with less risk of getting swarmed.

I just imagine Jezzails just being a gun unit with range comparable to artillery, they are basically equipped with sniper rifles

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Araby, Amazons and Vampirates are all i'm coming up with as far as non-armybook additions, every thing else is either not on the map (cathay, ind, nippon) or too offensive for CA to ever dig up (pygmies)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

A warhammer race I haven't heard about called the Pygmies? how bad cou-

there is a reason that pygmies are one of the few things i'm 100% certain we won't be seeing, especially since they don't even have a place to go on the current southlands map

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

New Butt Order posted:

I'm still gonna buy 3 because I'm a shameless consumer whore and it's not like anybody else is making Total War games for me to play. However, Chaos is the most boring poo poo in all of the Warhammer lores combined and I'll be amazed if they can sweeten the pot enough to make it worth a $60 purchase.

Oh boy, I can play as the angry guys with axes, the rapey guys with axes, the filthy guys with axes, or the insane guys with axes.

Chaos is perfectly fine in 40k, they become much more sympathetic when they are actively undermining and fighting against an ultrafascist space empire that would make Heinlein blush

They are probably the second least interesting bad guy faction in fantasy though

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

tarbrush posted:

Who's the least interesting?

Beastmen

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its clear that fantasy is exhausted, we must now turn to the realm of Science Fiction

Dune: Total War

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

New Butt Order posted:

Oh boy, Angry fleshbeasts allied with vikings, Rapist fleshbeasts allied with vikings, Filthy fleshbeasts allied with vikings or Insane fleshbeasts allied with vikings

They'll fit right in with the torture elves, hippy elves, aryan ubermensch elves, mad scientist cocaine rats, aztec lizards, literally prussia with griffins, british football hooligans painted green, stolen tolkien dwarves, literally medieval france but if king arthur was true, and smelly animal people

Its almost like reducing things to a series of adjectives and tropes and divorcing both from any context makes things sound boring.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

New Butt Order posted:

All of those involved infinitely more varied language than the chaos bullshit, so that should have raised a flag if you were actually capable of basic thought. I'm not saying any one part of Warhammer is good, just that every part of Chaos is poo poo.

lmao

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, see, the thing is that individually, some of those sound a little lame, but put all together and they're cool.

Thats the whole point, Warhammer is a setting where Satanic Vikings fight Fat Toad Wizards riding dinosaurs that fight Edgy Emo Torture Elves that fight Dwarf artillery lines. Its fantasy as imagined through the lens of Heavy Metal album covers. Getting buttmad about one aspect of it on a dead gay comedy forum is stupid.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The armybooks left for game three are Ogre Kingdoms and Daemons of Chaos, Chaos Dwarfs had an 8th edition legal list from a forgeworld supplement that was roughly the size of brettonia's tabletop roster so they can easily slot in as the third faction

I would probably count on those three (Ogres, Daemons and Chorfs) showing up in game 3 either as headliner factions or DLC, anything after that is gonna have to be left up to speculation.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rookersh posted:

ah yes, i cannot wait for the standalone product "only the darklands, and you can play chaos, chaos, chaos, or chaos. since it's a standalone product, you can't actually interact with the old/new world at all. enjoy chaos vs chaos fights for weeks not months until we add this to the new mortaler empires map. we realize the joy of chaos as a faction is destroying all the other races, but in this state of the art product we think it's better if chaos just.....fought chaos until we put out the combined map."

"our first dlc is ogre kingdoms. now you can fight chaos, chaos, chaos, and chaos with ogres in only the darklands!!!!"

"our second dlc is chaos dwarfs, we really feel like this will spice up this pairing."

perhaps they will try to justify the $60 price tag by spending their time adding in naval combat, better sieges, and settlement fights, only for people that play on the mortaler empires map. please buy wh3.

i'm sure that will be great for all the good will they've earned recently with wh1 and wh2.

The problem is that once we get Tomb Kings the official Warhammer material dries up, honestly it feels like they kind of shot themselves in the foot for including the southlands in game 2 rather than game 3 since "Cursed Egyptian Skeletons" is significantly more of a hook than Daemons, Chorfs or Ogres have even if I personally like all of them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I post between turns so :shrug:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I love my Skrolk campaign even if its in the process of collapsing. I figured out I can have an absurd amount of stacks made up entirely of Skavenslaves and used my crushing numbers advantage to overwhelm the nearby lizards and dwarfs. The key to making them work seems to be just including some form of magic as a force multiplier (doesn't matter which kind) since repeatedly dropping wither or warp lightning on large packs of enemies is all the slaves need to actually win. I've gotten a stupid amount of heroic victories off lizards and dwarfs this way.

The problem is that the strategy is stone dead against Teclis and his High Elves. Turns out if you have enough archers you can rout the entire force of slaves+wizard before lines even meet. Combined that with his phoenix sniping my wizard and it starts to feel like a bunch of toddlers fighting a tank. So now i'm in a position where I have to retrofit 90% of my armies into something capable of beating archer spam or starting over with a new campaign. Honestly I don't know which would be more work at this point.

Anyway thats my dumb story about how I thought I found out how to break the skaven in half but instead gimped myself forever.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Duey posted:

The map looks much better than that datamined thing that was going around.

Are you sure? because that looks exactly like the datamined map, it even has naggaroth cut off at exactly the same point on its western half

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ham Sandwiches posted:

More like why do people appoint themselves backseat mods of threads, who gives a poo poo if other people want to speculate on a loving reddit datamined map on a message board, but apparently it's a lot like publishing a paper in a peer reviewed journal

Was your post deleted or in anyway censored? No

Just because the unsubstantiated rumor you were freaking out about was later substantiated doesn't mean freaking out about unsubstantiated rumors is any less stupid.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Deified Data posted:

Tomb Kings theory: If Skaven are to Lizards as Dark Elves are to High Elves, the nemesis of Tomb Kings will be rogue armies comprised of explorers and marauders trying to steal their lucky charms.

Its actually the Vampire Counts

:colbert:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, how much of a pain in the arse do you think fighting Skaven as the Dwarves is going to be?

depends on whether they change the autoresolve algorithm at all

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Agnostalgia posted:

Does anything not piss them off. I was under the impression that they were nma for total war.

National Meningitis Association?

but also you're correct

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

hope they get stuff added by the time im done w wolfenstein ii

:same:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I heard that they were adding in breath attacks for the old world factions but do we know what units are getting them? Dragons seem obvious but I'm wondering about Terrorgheists with their sonic scream

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Inverted Sphere posted:

Oh poo poo, that's a really drat cool concept, and that'll literally have every single faction and both maps doing their crazy poo poo at the same time? So it sounds like as someone who really, really loves Total War and is pretty sure mixing in Warhammer only makes it better, it's absolutely worth it to get both and doubly worth it to grab WH1 while it's on sale. Thank you!

Should I be terribly concerned about any of the DLC for WH1 at present, or is that something that could probably wait?

"Grim and Grave" plus "King and Warlord" are probably the closest I'd get to describing the DLC as "necessary" but you can ignore the faction dlc unless you're super into that faction.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SickZip posted:

Grim and the Grave and King and the Warlord both feature units that fill holes in the base factions lineup. The main factions are incomplete without them imo.

Plus I'm pretty sure that the AI factions get full access to the missing units and Regiments of Renown.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

I just love the concept of how diverse the battles could be across a massive grand campaign. You have the Holy Roman Empire fighting vampires and heavy metal vikings, French King Arthur uniting his people, secretly propped up by hippie elves that hide out in the nearby forest, squadrons of guys on magic carpets doing strafing runs on mummies tearing through the desert in chariots, terra cotta warriors dogpiling dragons, guys who hate wearing pants charging wooly mammoths into swarms of velociraptors while hairy stunted mole people fight a desperate bid to keep nazi rats and hulked out soccer hooligans from destroying their empire.

Don't forget the hungry fat cavemen who can only ride their mounts because they clubbed them over the head enough times and who regard their chefs as religious figures because they're so hungry

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah the racist part is that all the playable humanoids are white and european. Also there are no black peple or native americans, just orcs and dinosaurs.

I do think human tribes were mentioned as existing in Naggaroth, but were either wiped out or nearly wiped out by the insane meritocracy worshiping slavers who currently occupy the continent

absolutely nothing like their real life counterparts

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Ogres getting bonus winds of magic reserves based on how many enemies they've eaten would be fuckin badass.

given that butchers and slaughtermasters are front line combatants that would make several dedicated combat lords blush its entirely possible that they could gain winds of magic for as long as they're engaged in battle

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm just glad that I could have some small contribution to this thread

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SMP posted:

That's a whole lot of barren lands

It is but keep in mind game three will need to include the mountains of mourn as well which are a little more lively with all the warring ogre kingdoms

e: for some reason I can't post the map, here is the direct link http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/8/8a/OgreKingdomsMap.jpg

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 26, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SMP posted:

That's a whole lot of straight mountains. Are the mountains all Mordor'd too? I have faith CA can pull out some nice variation in terrain, but if the entire thing is all Mordor biome I'd be a bit cautious.

Nah, its not mordor biome

The ogre kingdoms have a bit of an ice age/caveman aesthetic and that extends to the mountains. Lots of glaciers and caves broken up by the greener valleys that the ogres live in. Pretty much just look at what the World's Edge Mountains look like in game currently and make the whole place WAY more primitive and you're pretty close.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm starting to think Vampire Counts are easily my favorite faction:

1. Sick rear end combat lords
2. Waves of chaff that will hold the line while my combat lord body slams the entire enemy army
3. don't have to worry about morale
4. spoopy skeleton theme

Sorry Skaven, you know you're my boy but you're sitting at number 2 with Dark Elves right now

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

rockopete posted:

You can do that already--they don't need expendable because undead units don't rout, and crumbling doesn't cause chain reactions in the same way.

Really? I thought crumbling was identical to routing except that instead of running away the units just disintegrated

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Add me to the list of people crashing, got a black screen during the start of my Queek campaign. Haven't had one since but it did prompt me to switch over to Isabella

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ammanas posted:

I have zero mods activated for this reason. To be fair it happned when I alt-tabbed during the AI turn cycle, which happened occasionally in WH1 and vanilla WH2.

Literally the same thing that happened to me

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

John Charity Spring posted:

Um.

I sort of expected this to an extent but. It does kind of throw the balance of the Old World off.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Total War Warhammer 2: Surtha Ek’s Revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rookersh posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS MY WESTERN NORTH AMERICA. WHERE DID IT GO. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

Yeah thats the one that bothered me the most. It removes a ton of conquerable territory for Malkeith and Morathi. I can only imagine it getting worse once other Dark Elf Lords start getting added considering at least two of them are based in the same area if not more.

e:I think the main issue is that it makes Naggaroth a lot more crowded than it is in the vortex campaign

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 27, 2017