Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ok, gotta say the rampage mechanic on almost every lizardman troop is ruining em for me, especially when your facing a army of 19 darkelf archers who enrage every unit of yours and lead them on a merry chase as they get shot up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
literally updating nvidia drivers fixed campaign sluggishness for me and another person

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The only reason I haven't bugged outta this game is the rat summons mechanic against elves. Playing against AI archers is tedious and infuriating, it was easily the worst aspect of TW1 and now half the factions in the new game play much the same.

I was reticent about this game for two reasons: the weird rear end map and 50% elves. gently caress elves

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Davincie posted:

wtf, i was winning a tough battle when suddenly all my guys started melee charging the enemy, is that a dark elf spell or something, it killed my top tier archer stack

You might have hit F by mistake, which switches them to melee mode

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am not sure what Teclis' starting birb-swarm spell is for. Compared to Chain Lightning going through dark elves like a wrecking ball.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cap those gates guys

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Innerguard posted:

Is it just me or is the standard line infantry for Dark Elves utter dogshit? I thought their line of spears and shields was supposed to be hardcore, or am I confusing the dreaded lore (and possible warhammer online blackguard experience?)

Cost is the best true indicator of how bad rear end a unit is. Dark Elf base spear dudes are 450.

That's fine to fight it out with other factions T1 infantry and crush some of the lovely ones (skeletons, skaven, ect) but definitely not in the 'bad rear end dudes' category. Probably gonna get bashed pretty hard by some lizard infantry who cost around 700 though.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So starting as Tyrion, and I am just burying the dark elf armies on Ulthuan with the superior range of the basic archers.

This feels very strange.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Weissritter posted:

So starting as Tyrion, and I am just burying the dark elf armies on Ulthuan with the superior range of the basic archers.

This feels very strange.

My first campaign with Malekith fell through, so I went with tyrion. I didn't think I would like it too much, but it's actually really awesome watching arrows completely destroy everything that comes near me.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Are lothern sea guard as cool as they seem? I'm running with a black guard/shade/executioner/cold one army on malekith and it seems hard to top this

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This battle almost makes me sick...

Started early on with a general tactic of wanting to tie up the hellcannon in close combat with my phoenix (frostfang can really take a beating) in order to reduce casualties. Then the whole chaos army proceeded to gang up around my phoenix, since my army was still some distance away (grouping up with reinforcements), so when I got close enough I netted basically the entire thing then cast chain lightning (which got a whole load of kills) then got them into range of all my archers and lothern sea guard. Just a stone cold massacre. Swordmasters got into close combat with some chaos warriors but I cast regrowth on them so they didn't lose a man.

Jesus.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

:frogout:, stupid rats. Slingers and throwing stars are immensely annoying when all your units are already busy stemming the blob.

Also, Skins cohorts with javelins are loving trash, they have way too little ammo to actually achieve much; blowpipe Skinks or chameleons are working way better for me.

Also, Mazdamundi is funny as hell early on when you combine his cheap buffs and hexes with how tough Saurus are in the early game. Wanna gang up on one of my units? Sure. Nnow it's regenerating, causing fear, gets more melee attack and defense and half your army got Curse of the Midnight Wind dropped on it. Wanna run? Nope, you're staying right where you are.

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 29, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Magni posted:

:frogout:, stupid rats. Slingers and throwing stars are immensely annoying when all your units are already busy stemming the blob.

Also, Skins cohorts with javelins are loving trash, they have way too little ammo to actually achieve much; blowpipe Skinks or chameleons are working way better for me.

Also, Mazdamundi is funny as hell early on when you combine his cheap buffs and hexes with how tough Saurus are in the early game. Wanna gang up on one of my units? Sure. Nnow it's regenerating, causing fear, gets more melee attack and defense and half your army got Curse of the Midnight Wind dropped on it. Wanna run? Nope, you're staying right where you are.

the javelin cohorts aren't a ranged unit. they have decent melee stats -- the javelins are to soften up/break up an enemy charge

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Nevermind, Skaven suddenly just clicked. Apparently I needed to switch to Lustria Skaven, because Southlands is boring?

Either way holy poo poo do Skaven expand fast. It's turn 25 and I own 75 of Lustria. I am in a constant state of civil war, just as I imagine the ratmen to be. Skrolk is absurdly powerful, he can solo entire armies with his poison spells. Huge debuffs to the entire enemy line, including a complete removal of armor ( which Skaven seem to need early, yikes ), plus the ability to just wipe out 2-3 units as he feels like it with his poison breath. Magic is super powerful now, and I really like it.

Oddly enough, I won Lustria with the support of the Dwarves, who became my best friends? For some reason all the Lizards kept declaring war on them, and then I just kept racking up points by murdering all the Lizards around me. They've sent huge Dwarf doomstacks to basically every battle I've fought, and whenever they attack a city they still just Raze it because I guess they only want their mountains. Whatever, Skaven run this place now.

Trying to figure out now if I want to go north to fight DElves ( eh... ), sail to Ulthuan to kill helves ( maaaybe ), or sail to the Southlands to back up Queek and try to confederate him/kill off the remaining Lizards.

I honestly think Clanrats are completely overrated. I'm still winning battles with just Skavenslaves. I tried Clanrats for awhile, but they cost too much for way too little gain. You win Skaven fights through proper use of magic/high tier units, not through better tarpits, and the slave tarpit is just as good as the Clanrat tarpit. Also when your still lovely Clanrats break, it freaks everyone else out, unlike the slaves who nobody cares about.

I think my greatest passion though is nobody knows where my poo poo is but rebels. If my armies are camped in my cities, the AI just doesn't recognize them, and will charge right in to rat death. I've had 2-3 hostile armies show up looking for my guys, and just wander through my lands until my dwarffriends dealt with them. I barely have to defend my lands, and can constantly be focused on the offense.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Innerguard posted:

Is it just me or is the standard line infantry for Dark Elves utter dogshit? I thought their line of spears and shields was supposed to be hardcore, or am I confusing the dreaded lore (and possible warhammer online blackguard experience?)

Dark Elves are a bit strange in that their basic Sword/Spear infantry is 100% nothing special aside from murderous prowess, but all their mid and high tier infantry is brutal.

quote:

Cohorts aren't actually meant to be ranged units, they're just light infantry who can chuck a few projectiles. They're actually real good in MP for a unit that only costs 400.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Stegadons loving ruuuuuule

Nothing better than charging into an entire unit of rats and sending literally half of them flying 100 feet

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

President Ark posted:

update: jesus christ 3.6gb of files were hosed and needed to be redownloaded :eyepoop:

update 2: this fixed it, in case anyone stumbles on this from google or some b/s

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
A small thing but I love how LOTR the High Elf music sounds.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
This just had to come out when I just hit new game + on P5. Dangit.

Time to replace all my blood with caffeine and become the best High Elf main in the world.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fighting Skaven as the Lizardmen is good times. Yeah sure summon some more Clanrats, Grymloq wants more energon goodies.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god, the last ritual is 20 turns long and halfway through you get a cutscene and it's so good.

The Skaven built a loving warpstone-powered rocket ship manned by a loving terrified rat man and launched it into orbit to look like the comet, tricking everyone into doing these rituals. THEY loving SCIENCED THE gently caress OUT OF THE REST OF THE WORLD. I loving love Skaven.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
I'm playing as Helves, just running around with stacks of Lothern Sea Guards murdering people. This feel unfair.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gonkish posted:

Oh my god, the last ritual is 20 turns long and halfway through you get a cutscene and it's so good.

The Skaven built a loving warpstone-powered rocket ship manned by a loving terrified rat man and launched it into orbit to look like the comet, tricking everyone into doing these rituals. THEY loving SCIENCED THE gently caress OUT OF THE REST OF THE WORLD. I loving love Skaven.

I was worried that they would kind of make Malekith the "main" bad guy since he can easily be a Darth Vader/Doctor Doom type character who has a personal connection with the "Heroes" (HElves) and end up sidelining the Skaven in the process. The fact that they subverted that and leaned into the Skaven being the big bads is so cool

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does anyone have a basic rundown on each of the Skaven units based on using them and having them used against you?

So far the units I've used feel like all the goblin variants.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So for a high elf playthrough should i just be replacing my spearmen with sea boys or just use them to flank around when the line engages to rain arrows into dork elf butts? I cant imagine replacing my archers with them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sedisp posted:

So for a high elf playthrough should i just be replacing my spearmen with sea boys or just use them to flank around when the line engages to rain arrows into dork elf butts? I cant imagine replacing my archers with them.

Well, seaboys with shields have better melee stats than spearelfs and benefit from the same lord skills and techs (and have their own techs) though they cost alot of upkeep compared to the spearelfs. Seems effective enough to just put them in the first line with archers forming up the second line. The amount of firepower such an army can put out is simply staggering and is not at the expense of melee capability. Spells and various tricks to keep the enemy in place can be useful in order to have the seaguard shooting for longer, but there is no real danger in committing them to melee in most cases as their stats are pretty decent with martial prowess active.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can see why Heir obsessed over the Seaboys; these fuckers are just plain mean to use.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

LordAbaddon posted:

I was worried that they would kind of make Malekith the "main" bad guy since he can easily be a Darth Vader/Doctor Doom type character who has a personal connection with the "Heroes" (HElves) and end up sidelining the Skaven in the process. The fact that they subverted that and leaned into the Skaven being the big bads is so cool

the skaven are explicitly and somehow the most insanely technologically advanced race in the setting (they have atom bombs, for the horned rat's sake), so them making some sort of crazy spacecraft that fucks up the winds of magic makes a decent amount of sense, really

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm playing as Tyrion, about 50 ish turns in. Completed my first ritual.

Went to war with Saphery because they were all up in my grill, then they invited Caledor to join the war and because they're assholes they agreed. Eventually crushed Saphery while I held out with a white lion general in Lothern against Caledor, then when I got down to take vauls anvil some rear end in a top hat from Tiranoc was already sieging it.

Couldn't have Tiranoc hoarding up all my ritual currency so I declared war on them and started working my way up their coast. Started my first ritual about half way through crushing Tiranoc had some very enjoyable choke point battles against the Chaos spawned armies.

Northern Ulthuan seems to be in a forever war with Chrace and Cothique destroyed by a combination of Norse and Dark Elves. Naggarythe and Yvresse are desperately holding out so I'm sending Tyrion to support one and my White Lion lord to support the other.

I also noticed Northern Ulthuan is uninhabitable to High Elves so I'm probably just going to sack their poo poo and hope my allies rebuild there. Except for the ritual site right at the tippy top which I'm going to have to colonise and is going to be a bastard to hold unless I take the forever war to the norse and the Druchii.

Look lets just say there are going to be some very strong words had in not-Canada.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
once, long ago, in the thread-that-was, I commented that one of the things that made Warhammer Fantasy a superior setting to Warhammer 40K is that it was willing to embrace the sillier side of the game

from the dread norse colony of Skeggi, based on an extremely local english slang slur for those fuckers up the road, to the King of Vampires, a nerd living in his parents' basement

that spoiler owns so loving hard

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm really loving Lizardmen, their units seem real sturdy and dinos are always cool. It's been a bit since I've played Total War - If I ctrl + G and send my army marching they should auto-engage whatever formation is in front of them without me having to separately attack each right?

Mr E fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 29, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am enjoying Ponce Elves way more than I expected I would.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Dark Elves are a blast but some minor faction has already stomped out the High Elves? thats disappointing.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I'm about to finish my first ritual, and I see the High Elves are way ahead, halfway to their second. Is there a reason why I shouldn't say gently caress it and invade Ulthuan? I have a Black Ark full of assholes ready to go, a 20 stack with Malekith, and 3 fairly stable provinces at home.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can the black ark garrison a city? Or are the troops it has just for sea auto resolve?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Tenzarin posted:

Can the black ark garrison a city? Or are the troops it has just for sea auto resolve?

No

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I love the rattle at the end of the War Hydra's tail. It really rattles!

Playing on Very Hard actually is very very hard, surprised at how quickly you get dogpiled and how hard it is to stabilize. Maybe I'm spoiled by having the first twenty optimal turns as Empire memorized?

Skinks are cute.

I really can't wait to blast all these cool new monsters and units with Imperial artillery in single and multi whenever it all becomes available.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the absence of a black ark defense map fills me with sorrow

hopefully Queen and the Crone adds one, because seriously, come the gently caress on

not least because it will produce a map where the solution for high/dark elves is not "apply arrows directly to the forehead until morale improves"

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I am confused about high elves

how do I not just make half my army the normal rear end archers they melt everything in a volley

the enemy lord will come running up and just disappear at the first casualty

Like there are dragons and birds and jedi... or I could focus fire with my archer line one volley at a time and delete people how do i not just dooo thisssss

That in mind, seaguards make actually fighting helves a pain, including as, you know helves. Having the mainstay unit be able to shoot the poo poo out of fliers or cav if they get a bit to close in the skirmishing phase really makes it hard to not just, uh, apply archers to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I still feel like, honestly, this has about the content of an old-school expansion. However, I know the days of publishers and developers releasing content rich expansions is over, and besides that's the most negative thing I can say about the game.

I absolutely love the skaven, and while the lizardmen aren't the most interesting race ever, they are quite fun too. I have yet to do either elvish race, but we'll see.

Still gotta say this is one of the best games of 2017. Not sure about the best, but it's quite good.