Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Real (lizard)men march their armies across the world to punk Archaon at the earliest opportunity. Because his raison d'etre is getting kicked in the nuts and running away. :colbert:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Also looks like dwarves will still become a crazy superpower in the late game. Steam store page has a picture of the minimap showing them holding most of the old world by turn 200. So there's that.

Still can't wait. Gonna be amazing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

How much you guys wanna bet that the Tomb Kings second LL start is those desert provinces south of Teclis?

Those are cut off the map in ME, and wouldn't really make sense anyway. They were mostly centered around the Southlands, and most (if not all) of their kingdoms are on the map. Although if they are still sticking to the 4 LLs for each faction thing, we may end up with some disparate starts to spice them up.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Diogines posted:

Is it confirmed that is where game 3 will be? Is there going to be another one?

Any word on DLC factions for warhammer 2?

All that we know of game 3 is that it will likely be the stuff east of the world's edge mountains (where the dwarves hang out in the old world). How far east, we don't know.

As for DLC factions, the only one we really have any sort of confirmation of is the Tomb Kings, since their territory is present in the game already, and they had their own 8e army book on tabletop. CA has said they wanted to include all the tabletop armies, so TK are about as close to confirmed as you can get without any info from the developers.

Apart from that, there's other factions that could show up, but all of them are pure speculation. Most commonly people bring up Araby (the northern and northwestern desert bits of the Southlands), the Vampire Coast, Estalia and/or Tilea. None of that is even remotely confirmed in any way, it's all guesswork based on stuff like Norsca tech trees and such. Take it with a grain of salt.

All in all, we know relatively little about DLC thus far. There will likely be a lord/unit pack for the four main factions in WH2 (like the Grim and the Grave and the King and the Warlord), we may see new units for existing factions as FLC, etc.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Eimi posted:

Amazons are the stretch I most want to see, because hey it's always nice to see more badass ladies. Same reason I want all the female LL's in. It helps that it pisses off TWC.

They would be cool, but I don't know if there's enough fluff there or not. Then again, they basically did the same with Norsca and that turned out REALLY well, so who knows? It could happen.

Agnostalgia posted:

Does anything not piss them off. I was under the impression that they were nma for total war.

I would not be surprised if there is significant overlap between TWC and NMA. Angry grogs unite.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So Dogbert was showing off the ME map and some of the starting positions during the Twitchcon stream, and I just saw that both Lahmia AND Lybaras are there, so Khalida confirmed? Neferata as well?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

As expected, there's an NPC Chaos faction that spawns down in the Southlands, like Bjornling does (or at least did) in the Badlands in the first game. This one seems to be pretty sizable, though. Dogbert looked at 6 stacks of Chaos spawning far to the south, due south of The Black Tower of Arkhan.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Belegar is still there on the combined map. Queek is now also focused on taking Eight Peaks as well.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Weird, the game just straight-up crashes all of a sudden, even with every single mod disabled. I also tried outright deleting the mods I had installed, to ensure they weren't still being loaded by the game, and it STILL crashes as soon as I try to load into a campaign or custom battle. Not sure what's going on.

I validated files and such, everything seems fine. EDIT: Looking into it, it seems like the W10 update is loving with things?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Raygereio posted:

I'm using Win10pro with the latest update and can load both the campaign and the battle map fine. So the main cause is probably something else.
Is there an update for your graphics drivers available?

Yeah, I grabbed the latest version of the Radeon drivers and outright nuked the ones I had installed with DDU. That didn't fix it, I still can't load into campaigns or custom battles at all. It loads up to 50% and dumps me back to desktop. It seems a lot of people are having this issue, but there's no consistent answer for it.

Some have said uninstalling a security update fixes it, some have said reinstalling steam AND the game have fixed it, some have said updating drivers has fixed it... and yet literally every one of those answers has multiple people saying it did nothing. So I don't know what to believe.

EDIT: Alright, so I tried nuking my Steam install, since that's nice and easy, and it seems to have worked. I can load into custom battles where just a few minutes ago that was impossible.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 22, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Intervention armies always seem to spawn on your capital. I have had the chaos armies spawn right on top of my capital as well, but also elsewhere. Interventions are always on top of my capital.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Looks like a lot of the stuff from the Norsca/final patch (including the skill tree changes, and Chaos enhancements) hasn't been rolled into ME yet.

For example, this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5DPmqRQ_uY

Note that Chaos doesn't have the "Sack and Raze" option, none of the skills from the final patch, etc. It looks like they couldn't get that into WH2 in time to actually ship it, so I'd assume it will happen once they integrate Norsca into ME.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 23, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ammanas posted:

THIS IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD eexcept the time mom burned my pizza bagel

To be fair, it's your fault for not eating that pizza bagel fast enough.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mazz posted:

They've probably been working on ironing out ME for the last like 6 weeks and Norsca wasn't in the build they started with. It shouldn't take very long after ME releases to get that attached.

Yeah, I'm sure they're working on it right now. It's just worth noting that it hasn't happened just yet. At this point, I expect they'll have it done ASAP, because they've been incredibly good with these games.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It's also worth noting that if the final/Norsca patch changes aren't in, it likely also means that the RoR stuff isn't, either. So no RoR for Wood Elves, Beastmen, or Chaos, at least initially. Once they get everything sorted out they'll likely add the rest of it ASAP.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, and apparently Norsca is going to be added into ME sometime in November, so it shouldn't be THAT far off.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have had a game as the Empire where the Dwarves burned the Vampires out of Sylvania entirely, I swooped in during the immediate aftermath and hoovered up both provinces. Mannfred soldiered on with Bechafen and Essen, waging a slow war of attrition with Kislev until Chaos showed up and wrecked both of them. Actually never once had the opportunity to fight the Vamps myself due to other issues.

It happens, but only rarely.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

When people say skill trees won't be updated, do they mean we aren't getting the most recent update to TW:W1 or we won't get the TW:W2 style of skill trees?

Right now, in the build that was released to streamers and YouTube people, the skill trees are the same as they were prior to the foundation update. In other words, the same that they were on TW:W1's release.

This is probably a function of CA being unable to merge the update (and Norsca) into WH2 while still also shipping the game and ME on time. The QA would have likely been a nightmare. Presumably they will be fixing that ASAP, likely with the patch that includes Norsca.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I guess Grace (their community person) mentioned that they'll be releasing a balance pass alongside Norsca sometime before the end of the year, probably November? She also mentioned that this will not necessarily be the foundation update's skill trees, but rather something that brings the LLs from the first game up to par with those from the second.

I'm assuming this means they'll change the red trees around, etc.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Chaos as they originally played in the game were flawed as hell. Beastmen were essentially the archetype for a good horde faction, which then got backported to Chaos. So far my only disappointment with ME is that Chaos doesn't get the good changes CA gave them in the foundation update.

Fortunately, it seems like they'll be fixing that relatively soon after it releases.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

One of the roaming armies is mostly wood elf units and it's loving HORRIFIC to fight against.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I really want to see them go full crazy with the giant map in game three by including Cathay. Mostly because I want to see an even more fantastic version of Three Kingdoms China dropping giant tigers carved out of jade backed up by terra cotta warriors, etc. Just go full madness.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo, Malekith's start is actually fairly difficult in ME. You're at war with the Skaven that have the three ruins in your starter province, AND Hag Graef. Hag Graef are huge assholes who will never make peace with you, and meanwhile you're most likely going to get hellmarched by the Mung, because, again, Hag Graef are assholes and 99% of the time will drag them into war with you.

So you bounce Malekith around, trying to unite your province, deal with endless loving rebellions (because Dark Elves are edgy fucks who never stop rebelling), protect your southern border from Hag Graef being asswipes, try to knock out the Mung up north (they only have two cities), all while desperately trying to improve your economy and recruit new units to replace your losses.

You're just constantly bouncing from emergency to emergency, and meanwhile Ghrond and Har Ganeth are getting facerolled by the Aghol for the billionth time, losing territory like mad, and SURPRISE the Aghol just declared war on you, so there's ANOTHER front for you to deal with. Oh yeah, and Hag Graef are being dicks again. Shocker.

It's actually really fun.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ok so I think I just confederated the Cult of Pleasure at the wrong time, because Momrathi is nowhere to be found (either on the map or in the lord list). :smith:

Meanwhile, I control the entirety of Definitely Not North America, Archaon and friends has shown up (I just had six loving Chaos stacks spawn off the coast), Hexoatl and Lothern just declared war on me, and I still don't have enough cash to support the armies I do I have.

Game owns. :allears:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

LordAbaddon posted:

another crash, well Wolfenstein unlocks in less than an hour so I have something to do while I wait for them to fix this

Are you crashing on the loading screen? I had that a few days back, the only thing that fixed it for me was reinstalling Steam. I tried everything else, only that finally killed the crashes.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, the whole "chaos invasion spawns three different groups of five or six hellstacks each, all of which are automatically at war with you and only you and ignore literally everything else to come gently caress your poo poo" is annoying as gently caress. Especially when they're packed with late game units and all I can field without going instantly bankrupt are loving bleakswords and poo poo.

The Chaos invasion from the first game was fun because you could basically plan around it. Everyone fought it. This one is just "lolololololololol you're the player so get fuuuuuucked nerd" where it's as if the rest of the loving world doesn't even see this massive pile of Chaos marching through their territory to come gently caress with me. That those stacks are ALSO blind to everything but me is loving terrible, too.

I don't see what was wrong with the first game's approach to the Chaos invasion. Why does the player need three different groups of doomstacks that, as far as the rest of the game is concerned, basically don't exist since no one else interacts with them? It's weird.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The Dwarven steamroller is in full effect. The entirety of the Badlands and the majority of the Southlands are dwarven. Madness.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh, another "fun" thing about these lovely Chaos stacks the tunnelvision on you: they KEEP loving SPAWNING until the final Chaos event is done. Meaning every few turns you get MORE of their bullshit charging directly at you, without interacting with any other parts of the game whatsoever, as a gigantic "gently caress YOU FOR EXISTING" thing.

Good luck trying to get stacks to hunt down that one Chaos Warherd stack that's invisible in Norsca that none of the AI will loving kill when you're dealing with loving EIGHTEEN DOOMSTACKS every 10 turns or whatever it is. It's loving stupid. Holy poo poo.

The issue is that they literally do not interact in any way with the rest of the world. AT ALL. No one touches them, they don't look at anyone other than you, they march through everyone's territory with absolute impunity to come attack you, and they KEEP loving SPAWNING until the AI gets its poo poo together and ends the final Chaos event. Holy loving poo poo this is stupid and TEDIOUS AS gently caress.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Regarding the giant Chaos Invasion That Only Hates You, if you have military allies will they opt into war with the invasion if you request them to join you? Or do they go "Nah it's cool"

I know that's not a solution for everyone but since I'm Wood Elves I have LOTS OF FRIENDS and could actually salvage my campaign when this happens through the powers of friendship.

Literally only if you give them billions of gold and even then they'll probably just make peace the next turn. It's literally just a "gently caress YOU, PLAYER" thing.

The stacks don't even declare war on you, they're just AT WAR with you (and only you) as soon as they spawn. So your allies don't even get forced into a war with them or anything. They just exist to gently caress you over.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 28, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dongattack posted:

So i hear that the Chaos event is bugged now? What exactly happens? Should i just put my current game on hold and wait for a patch? If it's just gonna unimmersively beeline straight from the top right of the map to the bottom left to attack me not attacking the AI i'd rather wait.

You know the chaos murder stacks that spawn when you start a ritual in the vortex campaign? It's like those. They ignore everyone but you, everyone else ignores them, and there's a shitload of them (3 factions, each with about 5-6 stacks).

They continue to spawn until the "Age of Peace?" message. Good luck getting that by relying on the AI.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

sassassin posted:

It's a clumsily hacked Vortex invasion.

Needed a few more weeks not months in the oven.

Yeah, according to a few people on Reddit they use what is basically the same script as the Chaos invasion armies from the Vortex campaign. The number of stacks is determined by how many "ritual sites" (in mortal empires read: any and all settlements) you control. So CA seems to have taken a shortcut that essentially ruined the Chaos invasion.

Hopefully they will fix this. Preferably that will be done sooner rather than later.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Excelsiortothemax posted:

So I triggered the chaos invasion and now have 6 stacks to the north and 6 to the south. I have a feeling that I’ll be making a last stand soon enough.

Surprise there's at least one more pile of 6 around somewhere. One spawns between Naggaroth and Norsca, another between Lustria and the Southlands, and a third in the far south of the Southlands proper.

They all exist to murder you. Only you. No one else.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Xae posted:

gently caress Confederation.

CA either need to fix it or disable it.

It feels nearly impossible to Confederate at all as the player unless you're up 5 full provinces on the other guy and you shower them with gifts.

Meanwhile HElves, Greenskins and Stunties AI empires just confederate on cooldown.

Confederation as AI: "Is same culture? Is off cooldown? CONFEDERATION GO!"
Confederation as player: "gently caress. YOU. gently caress YOUR FACE. gently caress YOUR CLOTHES. gently caress YOU FOR EXISTING."

They never confederate unless they're down to their last city, it's being sieged, they have no armies, no money, it's a Tuesday while Mercury is in retrograde, their chakras are aligned, and they've conducted the requisite seventeen seances to commune with their great-great-great-great Aunt Agnes to discuss whether they should consider possibly almost sorta kinda confederating; and then they'll still want 70,000 gold for a Moderate chance of agreeing, at least. Then they'll still say no.

Confederation is hosed.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Using the mod to "disable" the Chaos invasion until CA fixes it is a great thing. I just hellmarched Ulthuan as Malekith and now I'm the rightful Phoenix King. Sailing two black arks up the Lothern straits and using them to reinforce your murder trains is amazing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god, Winds of Death on a pile of rats is the greatest thing ever. My necromancer just got almost 600 kills in one battle. :allears:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Purple Sun of Xereus seems way more potent now, too. Exploding gobbos and savage orcs like woah. Really love what they've done with magic.

Terrorgheists with breath attacks are bullshit good, too.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Interesting. The Badlands and the deserts of the Southlands are all favorable climates for the Vampires, meaning you now have the option of hellmarching the south and murdering all the stunties. Brofist Grimgor and go dwarf tossing, it's a blast.

Incidentally, Mannfred is even more potent now that his spells got a buff. Purple Sun alone can net you hundreds of kills on a single cast, if you drop it on a blob.

I'm actually really enjoying the changes to the Vampire campaign. Magic has a lot more oomph, there's more options for expansion (and knocking out Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin really seems to kneecap the dwarves), it's good poo poo.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 30, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Beer Hall Putz posted:

Settlement restrictions was good because the game is nigh-impossible to correctly balance on the strategic map, and the Dwarves constantly crushing the Greenskins wasn't allowed to spoil the campaign (unless your victory condition involved killing them I guess). The climate system just allows the developers to be lazy with world building and results in tedious late-game slogs against the campaigns last remaining hyper-power.

It'd be perfectly acceptable to have a Dark Elf domination victory just involve them consolidating their hold on the north, then taking Ulthuan. The campaign would be a better length for players, and it'd stop the usual Cult of Pleasure confederation polluting the rest of the map.

At this point I assume the dwarves have taken over the entire eastern half of the map if I'm not there to continually kick them in the teeth. Autoresolve favors them so heavily that they're basically guaranteed to roll over the map. The fact that both the Greenskins and the Skaven get screwed by autoresolve (in general, but especially against dwarves) only makes this more evident.

I have watched Grimgor doomstacks get wrecked by a minor settlement garrison. Repeatedly. The game is basically designed to hand the dwarven AI the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Vampire Counts are really interesting now. Once they get the foundation changes in (especially for Kemmler and Krell) it could be one of the most interesting in the game. You can take the mountains south and east of you, expand through the badlands, and shack up with the vamps down in the Southlands. You can do the standard "eat the Empire people" thing and expand north and west. You can even confederate with Mousillon and start messing with the poncy not-French.

On top of that, your magic is potent as gently caress. You've got access to three of the best lores in the game, and they've all been changed for the better. You monsters are still smashy, your cavalry is still good, and now your magic is pretty much crazy overkill.

On top of that, the changes to the unit buildings means you can get access to better units at lower tiers (without it being ridiculous), while still letting you build your economy tall rather than wide, should you need/want to.

All in all, it's loving great. Once they get the foundation changes in it should be even better. The only real issue with it is the Dwarf ball that inevitably confederates the rest of the hemisphere. I probably should've focused down the Dwarves above all else.

Meanwhile, that mod that fixes the Chaos invasion works and is wonderful.

EDIT:

Also saw this: https://gfycat.com/NewEnchantingLice 420 Blaze It, the gif.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 1, 2017