Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StonecutterJoe posted:

Twenty bucks says the guy who wrote this has a broadsword on his bedroom wall, and can tell you at length how European swords are vastly superior to katanas. Nay, will tell you.

It's not about superior or inferior, it's about what they were designed to cut! See, Japan is a metal-poor island, so they rarely made metal armors. This meant that weapon edges could be made with sharper, more brittle geometry . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bardeh posted:

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

I think 'domestic abuser' is egging the pudding a little bit, but he doesn't really sound like a very nice bloke (presuming all the nebulous allegations in this post are true).

I tried to read that but it was so vaguely written I had a hard time figuring out what precisely it was trying to say. Who is it accusing and what specifically are the allegations?

The conduct described sounds like it could fall anywhere on the spectrum from "He's Just Not That Into You" to "Narcissist Boyfriend" to "Manipulative deceit rapist". Is there something more concrete in there that I missed?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 29, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Benson Cunningham posted:

Apparently a bad break up makes you a domestic abuser.

It absolutely might? But, like, I can't even figure out whether the essay is trying to allege that or not.

My critique here is almost wholly stylistic. I feel like there's a whole genre of vague complaint writing that I'm not sure how to parse or interpret. It's like vaguebooking meets the essay format.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 29, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hammer Bro. posted:

I picked up the Lies of Locke Lamora because I was touristing, kinda remembered the name but not the context, and it was cheap.

Got a little over halfway through it when my roommate saw it and asked me what I thought about it; he'd kinda remembered enjoying the audio book.

I replied that it was all right so far but I didn't think it would hold up to scrutiny.

He went out, I reheated some lunch, and I sat down to read. Except my stupid brain cells got activated and instead of reading I ended up writing a page of notes about why the book was bad. Now I'm not sure I can finish it, and I wanted some comfort-food reading.

I blame this thread for that. Bravest of the Lamps in particular.

Much like parades, no book is truly good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tim Burns Effect posted:

what was moby dick's target audience

Readers of the smash hit sailing novel Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana, available wherever project gutenberg allows downloads

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You and your loving public domain novel bullshit!!!!!

After I got my first kindle I spent a few years reading just about everything that was in the "top 100 free downloads" category on Amazon, or that reading one of those books led me to in turn. Melville references Dana, so, why not?

Dana was far more commercially successful than Melville -- his book is a clear factual account but well-written, and it ended up being the *only* book that described California at all when the Gold Rush first hit, so everybody read it. It's basically "Moby Dick, but nonfiction, also, waaaay less gay, and no whales," so only read it if you love historical travelogues and/or wooden ship tales, but who doesn't?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 24, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Solice Kirsk posted:

Moby Dick is maybe 200 pages of interesting wrapped in 600 pages of "paid by the word" bullshit.

You sound like a man who doesn't love sperm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, I didn't know Trump was a licensed therapist.

He's an analyst and a therapist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I feel kinda bad for Paolini for lucking into a a publishing deal and a movie and a video game and all that junk with something he came up with as a kid. I'm sure it pays the bills, but if I had to write four best-selling novels' worth of any of the poo poo I thought was cool when I was 15, I'd have blown my brains out by now. It's practically become his whole life.

When I was fifteen what did I think was cool?

Tolkien, star trek, AD&D, RPG video games, Wing Commander: Privateer . . .

Apparently I would have written Ready Player One

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

There is no world where Sanderson and Rothfuss are defensible and Malazan isn't. If you want to say it's all poo poo, sure. Go ahead, that is a consistent, logical viewpoint. But if you think Sanderson is a good writer and Malazan is poorly written, I don't even-

Maybe someone who r'eall'y h'at'ed ex'tra a'pos'troph'e's

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Torrannor posted:

I can't even remember any unnecessary apostrophes in Sanderson's writings.

Yeah, that's the distinction I was drawing. An apostrophe purist could legitimately like Sanderson and hate Malazan.

I added a bunch of extra apostrophes to the Malazan thread's title years ago and it was over a year before anyone noticed

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Malazan feels like that crazy uncle earnestly explaining QAnon and the Deep State.

For me at least, it always comes across as someone accosting me in a game store and trying to force me to listen to what happened in the past ten years of their custom GURPS campaign.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Sympathetic magic is a great archetypal tradition to the point that it's one of the major themes of Frazier's Golden Bough.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Not Europe, upside down Europe, reverse Europe, and rotated Europe have been a staple of fantasy for a hundred years now.

Dianna Wynne Jones' Tough Guide to Fantasyland has a map at the front that is literally just Europe upside down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eastern Europe is largely ignored by fantasy authors in the US. Really anything that isn't purely western or ancient Eastern culture.

I think that's one reason Kingdom Come Deliverance blew up so big. At the same time familiar and strange.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hate Fibration posted:

I actually feel like a standard-length fantasy novel that is literally just about a feast, the dishes people bring, and character interaction would be a trillion times better than any epic fantasy novel you would care to name.

That's kinda the last third of Farmer Giles of Ham

Gotta have dragon's tail for the feast!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Office Pig posted:

How has this dude managed to repeat the exact same racism for almost two years with one ban

Last time the anti-irish stuff was so weird I thought he might be trying for satire, so it was only a three-day. Then today, nope, confirmed!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pentyne posted:

Locke Lamora guy basically went into a depression hole and was barely keeping it together and when his editor finally got it out of him responded with "dude, 90% of the people in this field struggle like this, but I can't help you if you don't talk to me" and that was a turning point.

But, and this is the crucial point, the gap between book 2 and book 3, where Scott Lynch's life went to poo poo and he almost gave up, was only 6 years.

Rothfuss is gonna hit twice that amount while also super visible and actively doing other things like not writing book 3 but bragging about how hard he works on it. Yeah, it's also been 7 years since the last Locke Lamora book, but Lynch is super public about his struggles and mental health so no one shits all over his pace.

Rothfuss is not a dummy, the livestream was specifically made to both talk about this world of other stuff he has going on, and also give him cover to claim everyone should chill because he's putting in so much work but no he won't answer any questions. He knows his fanbase is going to gobble it up and immediately go back to pouring over anything he says/writes like he's Fantasy Author God.

Also the first Locke Lamora book at least was genuinely original in some really striking ways.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I will submit WeWork and the Silicon Valley magical unicorn strategy, or how Uber kept getting bailed out because people wanted it really hard to exist.

The business concept for something like Uber or Amazon is "achieve a monopoly in an industry, then extract monopoly rents." It's worth almost any amount of investment if your end-state monopoly is "control of all internet commerce." Not so much if the goal is "the #1 retailer of weird tables."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BananaNutkins posted:

I'm not being hateful or racist when I say that. I didn't even say it was wrong, so I don't know why I got probated.

It was this:

BananaNutkins posted:

Nah. It's that I entirely deny racial and sexual inequality in media.

That's an explosive, unjustifiable, deeply offensive claim and inevitably created a massive thread derail.

Even if your actual position is "just"

BananaNutkins posted:

There are barriers to everyone in making money in fiction. . ..

There are less barriers to entry for Bipoc and LGBTQ authors than ever. The time is long past when it is a necessity to take a male name to have success in the industry. It's actually easier now for a limited demo to make it past the gatekeepers.

BananaNutkins posted:

If you did research you would see that the gatekeepers, the people buying books from authors, are actively looking to buy from people from LGBTQ and diverse cultural backgrounds . . .I write and sell stories and keep active tabs on all markets selling professional rates. If you did your research, you'll see the same thing. Being intersectional is not a barrier to getting through the gatekeepers anymore.

There's an immense distinction between those two claims. The existence of scholarships for minority students doesn't mean that racism in college admissions is over, and the existence of markets for minority and LGBTQ fiction doesn't mean that the massive systemic biases which have existed in popular fiction for hundreds of years are all suddenly over.

If you had stuck to the very fine line of "hey, it's not as bad as it used to be, specialized markets exist now" that would have been one thing, but the total denial of all racial and sexual inequality period went way, way, waaaay over the line. That's a ludicrous claim and not tolerable.

In the future if you have questions about probations or other mod actions, my pm's and email are open.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, let's move on from Jemisin discussion here since it's not on topic for this thread. Thanks all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
A few different people ahve suggested I close this thread, under the theory that it's just toxic rothfuss-slamming and there's little point in keeping it going.

Do people feel this thread is still serving a purpose or should I take it out back behind the chemical sheds?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I suggested closing the thread, not for "slamming" Rothfuss or because there's anything "toxic" about that (speaking only for myself) .

You weren't the only one no worries.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Gaiman *can* write some genuinely great stuff, especially his children's books. He just tends to go for quantity over quality most of the time since he got famous. He's sort of like Zelazny in that the talent is always there but the effort isn't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If you're looking for reasons to hate something you'll always find some.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Patware posted:

he kind of sucks. he just sucks in a regular way which compared to people sucking in a buck loving wild way means he will be celebrated

The problem I have with Lin Manuel Miranda is that he's deeply annoying in a very "left wing boomers on facebook" kinda way and then

every so often

he drops something like the Encanto soundtrack and it's like goddammit now the next month of my life is gonna have this soundtrack, no choice about it

Most people who suck in our society don't have any redeeming talent or ability at all, they just failed upwards due to nepotism or connections or generational wealth or whatever so it's easy to just dislike them on their merits

LMM, awkwardly, has actual talent and skill which I find myself bound to respect

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 9, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hughmoris posted:

I've neglected my duties...

Write the book, Rothfuss!

Putting on my serious hat for a moment . ..

Does this thread really need to stay open? "Pat the write, Rothbook!" is fine and all but is that all this thread is staying open for these days?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Patware posted:

keep the thread but imo don't bump it unless there's content

Yeah, I think this is where I'm landing.

It seems like there's reason to keep it open but let's not just bump the thread with emptyquotes or one-liners if that's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MartingaleJack posted:

Don't sleep on Between Two Fires either. I liked it as much as the Blacktongue Thief.

Far better imho if you're into historical fiction at all. Between Two Fires was . . . Probably the best medieval horror I've read since Name of the Rose.

Blacktongue thief was good but had strong "my d&d campaign as a novel" vibes which is fine and probably sells better so more power to him.