Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

HoboMan posted:

gently caress, is there an equivalent to #ifdef in webpack or typescript or any noun.js?

gcc -E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

source your smart quoates

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

on clang don’t forget -Weverything!

(don’t use -Weverything)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

i just scripted some file renaming

i used java :getin:

did you check it in

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

feedmegin posted:

(remember when compilers costed money?)

im trying to come up with some downside to this transition and ive got nothing

usually seems that when something goes to free you lose something, like "now one company controls the project and only their pet features get any work"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wheany posted:

i read all of this

whoops

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

im the space after only the second --

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

not sure how i feel about nullable types.

its painful compared to languages that lack implicitly nullable refs because it’s so close you can almost taste the correctness

though c# nullable types are obviously superior as return values from the tryparse family of methods

oops

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

lol

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

code:
if (varname & 0b111000 == 0b111000 || 
varname & 0b011100 == 0b011100 ||
varname & 0b001110 == 0b001110 ||
varname & 0b000111 == 0b000111 ||
varname & 0b100011 == 0b100011 ||
varname & 0b110001 == 0b110001) {
    return true
}

return false

this is setting off every "operator precedence is about to gently caress you over" alarm bell in my head

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

shipped a crash on launch today :toot:

carry on then posted:

current tp s: all my stories get sized 2 or 3, everyone else gets sized 8 or 13

how close am i to being fired?

all the stories are the same ur just a 4x programmer! more like how close to a promotion imo

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Xarn posted:

I know people who wish they had remembered to commit after only 4 hours...

... when, after 2 days, they get a regression and have no idea why :v: Remember kids, commits are cheap, just squash poo poo afterwards.

this was one lesson I didn’t have to learn twice. I still remember bursting into tears as a kid because the cribbage hand scorer I was working on went from 95% correct to completely broken as I tried to finish it and I had no way to get back to the 95% working version

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tinaun posted:

ugh there seems to be no music player with a decent extension api.

basically all I want is to get the metadata when a new song starts playing, but everything seems like clunky undocumented garbage

it really whips the llamas rear end

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

HTML is presumed-broken XML so consider using an HTML parser

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

posting on the rip ghost post 2017 in memoriam page

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

if you use macos try gitup, it is free and lets you see branches and stage incrementally and is seemingly less bad than sourcetree

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

it’s considered polite to identify which of your posts are you and which are the markov chain tia

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

that would drive me nuts. I get unreasonably annoyed when a url is passed around as a string, let alone that bullshit

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

[quote="AWWNAW" post="479272865"]
not even a nice solid poop. we’re talking loose and sparse and with strange unescaped elements
/quote]

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pangstrom posted:

sounds like maybe git's good if you git gud

it’s not tho, which is a real shame for this joke

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

code:
git config --global alias.git '!exec git'
code:
$ git sha
cc9c642663c0b63fba3964297c13ce9b61209313

$ git git sha

$ git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git git sha

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

commit messages should include the last three entries in the reflog plus the command line invocation that resulted in the commit message

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:psyduck: our new database guy with like 15 years of experience doesn't know how to use version control and is barely literate enough to install sourcetree, how the gently caress do these people exist

aren’t databases kind of impossible to put into version control? I wouldn’t subject someone to git just because they have a handful of janitorial scripts that could maaaaybe benefit from having revisions

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I mean I can find database things to put in a vcs I’m just not sure it’s that shocking that someone else hasn’t

cinci zoo sniper posted:

he is a db architect who writes mountains of initial ddl scripts and whatnot, also asked himself about file versioning solutions in place here. he also uses a database as a db query version control system

this does sound worth putting in a vcs tho

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

give me every good reason why i shouldn't take the lazy way out and return serialized rows straight from my database to the web api

i know it's a terrible idea already, but the savings in code size would be huge, i still hear the siren call

I’m having a tough time thinking of a case like this where you aren’t just providing a direct db connection yet there exists a possibility for huge code size savings

can you go into a bit more detail? is there some disgusting homegrown orm that you’re trying to bypass?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I spent 4 hours today fiddling with css and javascript to make a collapsible nested table with globally toggleable rows and I'm pretty sure I should have just binned it all and started again 3 hours ago

what has my life become?

package it up with a kooky name and answer a dozen calls for presentation, you’ll be a js thought leader in no time

you’ve got a huge head start on the follow up talk about binning it all and starting again

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

so is making a div a table layout considered a dirty hack?

i was under th impression that that is just how you do until very recently

hehe th

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

if javascript goes away theres no need for json

haven’t been able to eval json for ages, there’s no need for it in JavaScript either

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

if we’re complaining about adjectives in project names/descriptions I’ll give a shout out to every loving Swift library calling itself "elegant"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

make a placebo "rules" "engine" interface and when nobody fiddles with the knobs after two weeks you can delete it. nobody will be the wiser

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

redleader posted:

there's a bit of a mentality that if it's not from microsoft, it should be written in-house. hence a lot of stuff is reinvented (badly) or not done at all

the sole exception is parsing json, which Microsoft have failed to implement after three (?) tries and now just points everyone at the third party lib

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

terrible programmers: some kind of programming jackass movie

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

seriously considering electron to make an app that has to run on some vaguely managed windows machine I have no access to, and I do not have a windows machine to develop on

great idea or greatest idea

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

it's basically that, javafx, or qt for modern cross-platform ui-driven apps

this is so loving depressing

hey assholes where’s my write once run anywhere, you’ve been banging that drum longer than I’ve been alive, probably

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

also I’ve been using typescript because the alternative was JavaScript and idk if you can call it good but holy poo poo is it less bad

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

did someone say firebase

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

is anyone like, good with Xcode

asking for a friend

yes

not saying it’s me but yes

why do you ask?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

Wikipedias explanation of coroutines is not doing a great job of distinguishing them from a plain old subroutine. Is there a good link where I can get the basics?

can’t think of a good link, but similar features are generators and async/await in both C# and Python, if that aids your search

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

Franz Lisp

always makes me giggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

unless there’s an actual speech impediment that turns a t sound into a p, then maybe it’s not so funny

• Locked thread