Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's been a fun four-ish years and I'm glad they're actually being allowed to finish Rebels instead of having to put the rest of the series in books and comics

Although from a certain point of view, they've already done that with some plot points, such as the Cadets episode from S1 ultimately being resolved in junior novels, as well as Kanan's backstory having an awesome comic series...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I only caught up recently and I just wanted to say that the Obi Wan/Maul "fight" was absolutely spectacular and something I feel has been sorely missing from the newer Star Wars films. Just a single perfect stroke of his blade and the fight is done almost before it started.

The fight has been going on since The Clone Wars (for Obi-Wan; Maul's been at it since Obi-Wan cleaved him in half some three decades prior) and Obi-Wan played Maul like a flute in their final duet, and so the curtain finally falls for two old warriors, who leave it to the next generation to finish what they started (destroying the Sith)

Quite an underrated duel and I like that

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Roach Warehouse posted:

Somehow I don't think Satine would care for her sister taking up rulership of a militarised Mandalore in her name.

I harped on a bit about this last season, but I found the pacifist take on the mandalorians interesting and don't really care about their proud warrior traditions. That said, I kind of hope when the gang get back to Hera she's like "Great you're back. Anyway, A New Hope happened while you were on mandalore."

We're still pre-Rogue One at the moment though, I believe?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Yeah, no Death Star test quite yet. Although the final season of the show just being a huge waste of time on Mandalore while Luke Skywalker wrecks everybody's poo poo off screen would be incredibly hilarious.

The short time on Mandalore turns out to be around twenty years for the rest of the Galaxy and now the Ghost crew has to puzzle out what the heck happened

Meanwhile, Chopper is even more hysterical than usual due to his plans for the First Order getting thrown out of whack thanks to the time skip and he becomes inconsolable with all the carnage he missed out on

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Forest sounds a lot better this time around.

Ghosts of Geonosis was weird to watch since his voice was so breathy, like he kept running out of breath for his lines

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People like their mangy mutts with chops

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Is anyone else amused by the fact they turned an episode with Death Troopers in it into a comedy?

Was also nice seeing Snoke getting practice for being Supreme Leader in by ordering people around

Doubt he enjoyed slamming into the side of a radar dish though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...I actually completely forgot about Zeb

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flight of the Defender preview clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ycbZWrDMiE
The Occupation preview clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zttwn-INyj8

Finally~

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Squid legs for Saw would've been hilarious, if a PITA to animate

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

There’s only one other person in Star Wars that used the giant head setting for hologram conversations.

Well, two I guess, after TFA.

Palps, Joruus, and Saw, actually

Snoke went with the full-body option

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You just know some delinquent ewoks stole and ate some of the troopers anyway

Or else the elder ewoks took one look at 'civilized' food and turned their noses up at it, preferring the old ways of eating anyone that landed on their planet

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like the new S4 models, although there's something about the mouths that unnerve me

Ezra's also put on a little muscle, which is a nice touch

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rebel Assault Synopsis: "Hera leads a courageous attack against Grand Admiral Thrawn's forces, but when things go awry, her battle to win must become a daring escape if she is to survive."

So it looks like they're going to fail miserably which is a good thing and shows that the Empire isn't a joke like it was in previous seasons

Still, given Rebels' track record, I wonder how many Star Destroyers are going to bite it this time

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Wonder if that means he’ll have the same ending.

If Thrawn dies and doesn't utter "But...it was so artistically done." we riot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zebulon posted:

Looks like we're only getting one episode this week ("Rebel Assault") instead of two before the show goes onto its break. So that's 9 episodes now, 7 later?

Nothing until the new year (something something not wanting to interfere with The Last Jedi, or maybe writing scripts for the next show... who knows)

Guess it's time to rewatch Clone Wars for the Nth time

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/930239134240686080
I see the hiatus has already struck the Rebels team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt9ZmN-V-k
And so begins the dark times

Nice Pablo-class Stormtrooper armor though
When will that become a part of the films?

I wonder how much more material we'd have for TCW and Rebels if TV Episodes were allowed to be 25-28 minutes long (Ideally without counting intro/outro credits)

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 14, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Aces High posted:

raise a glass for R3-A3 :sadwave: you fought bravely and I almost cried seeing you die

Chopper lets out a gleeful whoop and swigs a can of oil

I wonder if he and R2 have a bet going on to see who can kill more Imperials - unfortunately, the destruction of the first Death Star put R2 a couple hundred thousand ahead, much to Chopper's fury, since he held the lead with a good 70,000 or more thanks to all the Light Cruisers and Star Destroyers he had a hand in destroying...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mllaneza posted:

This one was jam packed with good stuff, it felt longer than it's runtime.

The hiatus is over when now ?

Some time in January, I believe

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'll forever be disappointed that we didn't get different seasons focusing on different Rebel cells and a different villain for each of them

Ezra and Kanan vs Inquisitors (S1)
Ahsoka vs Vader (S2)
Hera vs Thrawn (S3)
Obi-Wan and Luke vs Maul (S4)
Finale (S5)
Lost Episodes (S6)

And throughout all of them, we'd get little episodes where we see the Rebels picking up different ships (A, Y, B, X, U-Wings, for example) and gathering intel on a mysterious new weapon the Empire is building

All while the Empire is closing its fist around the Rebellion and it takes all the cells coming together to not get snuffed out, but they still suffer massive casualties in their escape

And that is why I'm not a showrunner/writer for Star Wars

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I love firing up random episodes of TCW because it's that kind of series where continuity isn't a massive issue and enjoying the various space and ground fights (Umbara is easily my favorite to rewatch)
Heck, they even managed to redeem the gungans to a small degree and the Jar-Jar/Mace Windu episodes in Season 6 were enjoyable

I commend Rebels for being more focused on an individual group of characters and it's a fine series, but it lacks the scale and scope that TCW had

Also went back and watched the TCW movie and...hoo boy, does it look ridiculously unpolished in places - feels like I'm watching an unfinished demo reel like the Bad Batch and Crystal Crisis episodes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Some of us like to pretend the X-Wing series still takes place after RotJ instead of the Empire folding under a year

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

The First Thrawn comic came out this week, and from the previews, it will feature Rebels stuff as Pryce and Lothal are shown on one of the covers.

The funny thing is they're keeping his origin basically the same. He was exiled from the Chiss, was found by the Empire and the Emperor saw his potential so he put him in his service. He even talks about how Thrawn tried to get the Chiss to preemptively strike against the mysterious unknowns in the Unknown Region, which is while he was exiled. Though in the Legends stuff, that was the Yuuzhan Vong, which i doubt will ever be returned to canon. Mara Jade or Corran Horn are more likely than them. It also mentions he met Anakin during the Clone Wars, though that must have happened in a new comic or something because I don't think it was in Clone Wars?

Thrawn meeting Anakin is probably going to be covered in the next Thrawn book

Most likely be vaguely placed somewhere within TCW so they don't have to give exact dates, but fans are gonna pore over every little detail and determine which week of the Clone Wars they met and gripe about continuity as a result

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wish they'd done more with Kanan and his new look

Feels like a waste of a good character model

So when does his Force Ghost show up? Or would he be sparkles like Qui-Gon Jinn back in TCW? (S6 - during the Yoda arc)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

These episodes did unspeakable things to my soul and are easily some of the best Rebels has produced

Also, the lighting during Hera's interrogation scene was beautiful

Fitting, for a lover of art, I suppose

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 21, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dammit, now all I can see is Chewie and Chopper wearing top hats, sporting monocles and discussing the finer points of killing humans over a game of pazaak while the city burns down around them

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Icon Of Sin posted:

In a fire that Chopper started. He's got to be a cousin or uncle to Bender, with how much he seems to dislike any of the meatbags other people/aliens/robots he comes across.

He's an HK unit trapped in an astromech chassis and I hope he someday meets Beetee and Triple-Zero

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Much like TCW, I'm gonna miss this show when it's done

At least there's Resistance to look forward to...

Also really loved Vader's lightsaber ignition sound
May have to make that into a Jedi Outcast/Academy soundmod...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

When they said they were using an old code to bring in help, I was hoping they were going to call in a big rear end droid army

Yeah, where the hell did Kalani run off to?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also was it just me or was the Rebels plan this episode a tad mean. Calling all the Imperials to one location so they could blow them up.

*glances at the ravaged landscape of Lothal, the ruins of Tarkintown, and all the friends/family figures Ezra's known for most of his life on Lothal that were killed or taken away by the Empire*

Eh, seems fair to me

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meanwhile, Ezra and Thrawn are of playing Sabacc and Dejarik in the middle of nowhere for over five years

Although I suppose they landed somewhere at some point, which begs the question of where the hell were they during the OT

Even Purrgil can't stay in Hyperspace forever

Did they wind up in the Unknown Regions and get taken in by the Chiss? Did they meet the Vong scout from their planned appearance in TCW? (Although given Anakin Skywalker has met Thrawn, I wonder if that's where that plot point would be brought into canon...perhaps in the new Thrawn book...)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LongDarkNight posted:

The Dark Side has cookies, Order 66 cookies.

Order 66 cookies now and get a blaster bolt in the back at no extra charge

I wonder if the Galaxy has Girl/Boy Scout-esque organizations...

Wars started over a box of thin mints or chocolate caramel popcorn would be a sight to see

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I loved all the Imperial foreshadowing in Ahsoka's Trial

They have such a striking aesthetic as well

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

I'm doing it

I'm watching Clone Wars in chronological order

the movie is... rough

You mean visually?

I remember reading a review for it that likened the models to Roman statues, and compared to the TV show, there's times it feels like I'm watching an unfinished Story Reel that has yet to be rendered (Hoo boy, Rex's face had me in stitches when I rewatched it)

My, how far that series came

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Good ol' Cad Bane, with so many anti-Jedi pieces of equipment he makes Batman look underprepared

Still, can't ever go wrong with jetboots and a swanky hat

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Lucky for you, I happen to like children today."

Hondo does whatever nets him a profit, and if losses and costs start to pile up, he'll duck out so as to not lose any more

He's a lot of fun to watch

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

What else do we need to know about Obi-wan? Practically his entire life is shown on screen as it is between the prequels, TCW and ANH.

There's just about zilch in the new canon about his apprenticeship under Qui-Gon (wouldn't surprise me if people still considered the Jedi Apprentice series canon, or at least broad strokes...)
The period between TPM and AotC only has a single Anakin & Obi-Wan comic miniseries and was more about Palpatine manipulating him anyway
The period between RotS and ANH has had a few tidbits sprinkled here and there, but that's probably where a Kenobi film would take place if Ewan MacGregor reprised the role

Given how Star Wars originally had the subtitle "from the journals of Luke Skywalker" and we know Obi-Wan kept similar journals, they could probably do something with that

I wonder how effective it'd be to...I dunno, have a Kenobi movie that incorporates flashbacks to Obi-Wan’s childhood in it as he protects Luke and goes about his daily activities on Tatooine

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Ha, (casting spoiler) Mark Hamill is in one of these.

Old voice coming from a young body worked a lot better than I thought it would

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The artstyle is vaguely reminiscent of the 03 Clone Wars shorts, which is never a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Would've been so much better had they used Kalani and had a nice big Clone Wars-style space battle between TIE Fighters and Droid Starfighters to close out the series

• Locked thread