Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hammer Bro. posted:

Dag nabbit, and I just spent eight bucks on fifty write-once NFC tags!

When did NTAG215s get that cheap? I've only seen prices rise after amiibo duping became more widespread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Last Celebration posted:

I thought only the Supercard wasn’t phased out by updates though. Oh well, if I just need to buy a new one it’s hardly the end of the world even if I only ever used its savestates sparingly.

Yeah but that's because they kept updating it to bypass blocks. Do you have the latest DSTWO firmware installed?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Last Celebration posted:

On my old dead(?) one, yeah. I can still just boot up a vanilla DS to install the firmware into a new card then pop it it the New 3DS, right?

Yeah that should be doable. If the DS recognizes it but 3DS won't, it's just a matter of flashing the latest firmware on there (not just the EOS).

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Just be warned with the broken drive that a lot of PS3 games won't work. The reason is a good number of them require a PS3 game be in the drive (any game).

I thought Cobra had bumped discless compatibility up to 100%?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Honestly I haven't heard the name Cobra since that USB device they made a bunch of years ago. Is there a different method of running games rather than Multiman that does not need a disc in the drive?

It's the very same Cobra. I think the developer decided to release/leak the code without the DRM dongle dependency when the product was more or less abandoned, and its functionality has since been integrated into other CFW like Rebug.

multiMAN has a Cobra mode called mmCM where it can hook into this, but I myself and probably many others prefer webMAN these days.

webMAN is a plugin that gets loaded on system startup which launches up a web server for choosing games and configuring it, but also populates a menu right in the XMB where you can load PS1/2/3 games directly. There are also some button combinations to switch between recent games and stuff like that, but I could never manage to remember them for very long.

Presentation wise it's barbones compared to multiMAN but it's so much faster to mount games without having to leave the menu. The last selected game also gets auto mounted on launch which is really nice.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Oh that's awesome. I gotta check that out! How is compatibility? I always have to do something wacky in MultiMan to get games working like check off that it's running from USB or redo all the file permissions or something.

Compatibility is 100% as far as I'm aware, it has been in my experience so far anyway. Haven't had to fiddle with any settings since moving to COBRA and webMAN.

Games with big files split I think you still can't use without caching them to the internal drive or moving the whole game over, but what you apparently can do with COBRA is directly mount split ISOs on FAT32 formatted external storage. Think I'm going to try that soon for my split games as they've been a hassle with very little internal storage to work with.

NTFS support is also a thing, but it seems a bit more fiddly and only supports ISO format. You can also mount games from network shares.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Just wondering but why does everyone still recommend rebug? Even the latest guides.

It's the most feature-rich custom firmware out there for both CEX and DEX, while still being absolutely rock solid. This does mean releases take a while after new firmware updates are released by Sony. Nothing else really comes close though.

If you visit their site at rebug.me there's a long feature list posted alongside the latest version.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Stink Terios posted:

Is it possible to use an external HDD and on your computer at the same time? I heard there was some new tech that allowed that but I might've misheard.

What?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Stink Terios posted:

Welp, looks like I ate some words on my post. I'm talking about the Wii U :v:

If you're taking about a hard drive you use for storing Wii U games, then no.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

I wish there was a way you could have both a Wii/GameCube hard drive and a WiiU hard drive plugged in at the same time. Or a single hard drive that supports both. That would be awesome.

Can't you put the vWii one in the back and use that UStealth thing to remove format nag on boot?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

m2pt5 posted:

Not really, it just has an optional bit of firmware (AGB_FIRM) that lets it run GBA games. (Luma and other CFWs generally take care of that now, though.)

It does though. The DS architecture kept the GBA hardware, and so did the 3DS as well for backwards compatibility with DS software.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

My Wii U is hacked and on 5.5.1. Can I update to 5.5.2 and not lose any hacks? My system keeps trying to update it and I just keep pulling the power cord.

Do you have Haxchi? If so then sure. There's also a method to update to 5.5.2 while keeping the 5.5.1 browser.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

repiv posted:

It already works on earlier slims, but it doesn't on late slims or any super-slims. The browser exploit itself works on any PS3 but to actually install CFW they need to downgrade a particular firmware component to a very old exploitable version, and that version doesn't support late-slims/super-slims since they didn't exist when it was made. So trying to flash it just bricks the system.

I think he's referring to a possible "temporary softmod" type exploit (like the HEN stuff for PSP/V) usable on newer hardware, which was briefly mentioned as a future possibility following the exploit for installing CFW from the latest OFW on fatties and the early slims.

No concrete plans or promises (or even much in the way of details at all) have been made, so I personally wouldn't hold my breath. Still, It'll be very cool indeed if they do manage to get something working.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Detective No. 27 posted:

mGBA works!

Oh it runs terribly. Aw well. I might get a New 2DS someday.

Don't emulate GBA on a system with the native hardware... Look into VC injection.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

havenwaters posted:

SD card is needed to tell haxchi what to do, run homebrew apps, install stuff (channels, games, etc) to the wii u.

You kinda need the SD card.

edit: Also I'm not 100% positive about the SD card being needed to tell haxchi what to do but I know there's a configuration file for haxchi on the sd card.

The config file is for telling Haxchi to launch some app on the SD card instead of applying patches when holding down the buttons you specify, but neither that file or an SD card is needed to boot "CFW".

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Chemical Bastard posted:

The USB drive I was using for CleanRip is giving the write error now, is it a bad idea to keep using it for Nintendont or should it still be fine for that purpose?

If you can save to SD while running games from USB then I guess feel free to keep using the thing until it explodes

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Is there a way to launch Nintendont directly from the Wii U menu without losing real GC controller support via the USB adapter?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Nonviolent J posted:

But if you have the Nintendont forwarder that lets you use the Wii U gamepad it won't work as being able to use gamepad controls on any vWii forwarder disables using any USB devices so it has to be on SD.

This is what I was talking about a while back when asking for a way to launch Nintendont from the Wii U menu (thanks to those who replied).

Is there a forwarder that *doesn't* disable USB and allows you to use your actual GameCube controllers for playing GameCube games?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

END ME SCOOB posted:

My 3DS is breaking down, the up arrow won't consistently register anymore. If I buy a new 2DS as replacement:

Replacing the plastic pad behind the directional cross if it's ruptured, or just cleaning contact points on the PCB if they're ganked up with dirt, would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pro Tip: Retroarch is garbage on every platform

Pro tip: your opinion is garbage

It's great on PS3, Wii U and PC. Haven't tried the 3DS port so I can't comment on that one.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Having a gigantic feature set inevitably increases complexity, sure, but how many advanced options do you really need to touch unless you feel like it?

Load content, choose emulation core if there are several available, and your game is up and running.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

azurite posted:

The biggest beef I have with Retroarch is the config file management. I never know if my settings will apply to one core, all cores, or what. It also likes to forget my controller configs on Android. Otherwise, it's nice to be able to use the same emulators with more or less the same GUI on a bunch of different platforms. I'm all about that aspect.

I'm not sure if per-core configs is still a feature or if they've finally yanked that out, but if they're still in I'd suggest never using them. It inevitably turns into an unmanageable mess. Per-core overrides came later and is simpler and better approach for those who need that.

Personally I only care about input remapping which can be handled independently on a per-core/game level, and is a feature that you can easily manage from within the quick menu.

You should save controller automap layouts on Android if you want to make things easy for yourself, and possibly even submit them to the libretro repo if you feel like being helpful. With an automap it shouldn't matter if Android randomly decides to juggle hardware identifiers around.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

DSi XL has amazing screens

it's DS gaming's ambrosia

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

New 3DS can run SNES games perfectly

"""perfectly"""

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Nonviolent J posted:

If you want Nintendont on your Wii U main screen and don't want to mess around with vWii:

Download loader.dol and rename it boot.dol
Also download meta.xml and icon.png
Create SD/apps/Nintendont/ and put those three files in there
ISOs go in SD/games

Install the forwarder for the Wii U homescreen guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQHxQcfb4Y
(you'll need wup installer to do that)

Does the GC adapter work with this?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I for one would like to play games without listening to loving Bon Jovi

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Stan Taylor posted:

Also, while I'm back into futzing around on the WiiU hack front, anyone have a recommendation for emulators on the Wii U side of things. I'd like to get DS, and N64 going in particular, but also all the Nintendo stuff before then. I like having discreet emulators for each system instead of something like retroarch, which I never really gelled with.
The libretro cores are the only worthwhile emulators on the system, time to suck it up.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know this is the Nintendo thread but does anyone use the PS2 loader on a non-BC PS3 and care to give a review?

ps2_netemu is pretty spotty so you'll want to check a compatibility list:
https://psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

I think the only thing I tried playing on it was Itadaki Street and it didn't render the board.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you use a microsd USB adapter instead of a usb hard drive in a hacked Wii? SD storage is so cheap these days, there really isn’t a point to putting a spinning disk in an enclosure for the Wii, it’s not like it will get even close to maxing out the read speeds of a modern microsd

Why not just put it in the SD card slot then?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
If you get the GameCube controller USB adapter they released for Smash on Wii U/Switch you can use them, that’s what we do with Nintendon’t on Wii U anyway.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I don't see what you could do to make it less kids friendly. Just avoid using the coldboot variant and there'll be no way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Now to rip my existing NTSC Wii-u games to the hard drive and hope they boot without region issues. Is region-free enabled by default with Haxchi or do I have to do something to enable it?

Yeah the system will be region free after running Haxchi.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I hacked my PS3 like five years ago and I kind of want to update it to use my new DS4 with it natively, but I barely understood what I was doing the first time and am terrified to touch anything

If you're already on custom firmware you can just go to rebug.me, download their latest firmware and install it on your console.

ItBreathes posted:

What does hacking a PS3 get you, anyways? I can guess but it doesn't come up a whole lot so I'm not sure if there's anything special about it.

Videogame piracy, emulators (including Sony's PS2 one), some homebrew video player software, etc.

I basically used my PS3 as a PVR and emulator box back when it was still relevant.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mine has interface problems due to my 5ghz WiFi. I’m trying to fix to detect the channel my game pad uses so I could stop that. It is very good still. Perfect dpad and zero drift after almost 8 years.

I had the same issue, Wii U was basically unplayable due to constant interference in the communication with the gamepad. It uses channel 36 which absolutely everyone and their grandma does these days for wifi. Switched my own network to use the 80MHz frequency starting from channel 52 so there's no overlap, now it's stable 99% of the time, so if it's your own radio jamming it you might want to switch frequencies.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I changed my WiFi channel to a much higher channel and it seems to be working now but in my research it seems like the gamepad will switch frequencies at will, which is pretty annoying.

Apparently it does switch frequencies at will but I've only personally seen mine in the bottom frequencies overlapping with absolutely everything else, so its detection seems to be really lovely. I'm pretty sure the thing will never use the DFS channels though.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Not the Messiah posted:

It is possible - I've got a few gamecube games installed that way. It installs on the Wii U side but points to the nintendont loader I think? And you can change a setting so that it works using the wii u gamepad as a controller input.

I installed it all ages ago so I can't remember how it's done but it's on gbatemp sonehwere, I'll try to find it later if I remember!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/
found it

I've only ever gotten a black screen trying to boot GC injections created with this thing...

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SeANMcBAY posted:

It had a ton of good games. It’s just easy to forget now that almost all of them are on Switch now. 3D World is the last one pretty much.

I’ll be keeping mine for Wii, GameCube and emulation.

I've pretty much forgotten my Switch at this point since Nintendo's done little but rerelease Wii U games for three years :saddowns:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Muk Dumpster posted:

Just use a nintendont forwarder for gc

Can you elaborate on this?

I want an icon on my Wii U menu that I can click to launch me into Nintendont without requiring a Wiimote (and preferably without requiring the Wii U tablet as well since it's always running out of battery).

I have a Wii U, the official GameCube adapter and some GC controllers - is it really such a crazy niche setup to want to play GameCube games with?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Breadallelogram posted:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

I use this to get gamecube and wii games as titles on my wii u home screen.

I'm pretty sure I wrote this on the last page but any of the half dozen GC games I've tried to prepare with this tool just gives me a black screen when attempting to launch it. For Wii games there seems to be a 50/50 chance of them working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there ways to make Haxchi boot faster other than cold boot? I saw someone on an old reddit post mention installing it as an app and using the quick boot feature on the game pad to start it. Anyone have a link how to do that?

Not sure what they meant by installing it as an app, but if you enable quick boot you can indeed start regular Haxchii from there. I doubt it's any faster than the coldboot variant of Haxchii though.