Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Finally, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp has been sort of released for both iOS and Android. Currently softlaunched in Australia and expected throughout the world at the end of November, AC: Pocket Camp has you once again customizing your character, meeting cheeky animals, buying furniture, decorating your own place, and dealing with crippling debt :negative:

And that's why we love it!

It's out worldwide now!

Here's the Nintendo Direct video of the game so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr2wXiwgNd0

Want to pre-register for it? Here ya go -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.zaca

All the info for the game, from the Google Play store description:

quote:

Get back to nature in Animal Crossing™: Pocket Camp, the new Animal Crossing mobile game where you take on the role of campsite manager!

You're in charge, so you can decorate your own campsite however you like! Make it fun, make it cute, make it sporty—it’s up to you to craft the kind of furniture and amenities that will make your camp a must-see for animals visiting the area.

Building Your Dream Campsite

- Help Animals As You Explore!
While visiting different recreational spots, you'll meet new animals who could use a little help. They'll be looking for fish, fruit, bugs, and other things to get their camping adventures started—and when you help them out, you'll earn Bells and craft materials in return!

- Craft Furniture and Amenities

The craft materials you earn by fulfilling animals’ requests can be used to craft all sorts of furniture and amenities for your campsite.

Just open up the Craft menu and place an order with Cyrus, the hardworking handyman from Re-Tail on the Road. Then sit back and wait! Or, if you're in a hurry, you can move your order to the very front of the line by using Leaf Tickets. You can purchase Leaf Tickets with real money, or earn them through regular gameplay.

- Your Campsite. Your Way.

The joy of Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is creating a space that suits you and your style.

Your campsite can be anything you like—from a traditional space that celebrates nature to a flashy fun house with concerts and rides. It's all up to you!

You can also customize your camper, visit your friends' campsites to get ideas for your own, and meet new animal friends as you explore recreational areas!

- Host Animals at Your Campsite
As you grow your friendships with different animals, they'll want to visit your campsite. Craft and decorate with their favorite items, and you’ll be able to host them whenever you like—even if you change up your decorations completely!

Note: This game is a free download with in-app purchases.

Note: A persistent Internet connection is required to play Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp.
Cellular data charges may apply.

With regards to IAP (in-app purchases), so far, the only thing that you'd use real money to pay for would be Leaf Tickets, which are a way to speed things along, and (I could be mistaken) buy certain things without using the long-standing AC in-game currency, bells.

There's also an APK floating around, but I don't know anything about that. I'd look for it and install it, but I really want to go into the game fresh, with my 'My Nintendo' account synced up from the beginning. I don't know why I care about that stuff, but I do :shobon:

Obviously, an Animal Crossing game wouldn't be proper if you couldn't connect with friends/goons who will find ways to poo poo up your camp, so below are a list of friend codes. I'll update this as much as I can. Also, I'm assuming that iOS players can play with Android players? If not, I'll be sure to denote which platform each person is on when listing their codes.

FRIEND CODE LISTINGS

Turtlicious - 4235 2202 653
mrkillboy - 6030 4116 225
Kabuki Shipoopi - 4201 1494 794
pnau - 5403 3911 674
i like tacos - 8272 5858 587
rapner - 4288 7623 137
Colin Mockery - 7676 4217 792
Croccers - 6173 7075 041
Kyrosiris - 8626 0271 485
rhoga - 2147-1236-974
boy are my arms tired - 8353 9513 046
Rupert - 0630 9329 593 :smug:

Important Leaf Ticket info (thanks io_burn!)

io_burn posted:

I've been playing a ton of this to write Animal Crossing content for TouchArcade, and I think the most important thing to do when starting is hoarding your Leaf Tickets. The first session of the game is sort of a long drawn out tutorial where seemingly everything you do awards anywhere between 10-30 Leaf Tickets. Initially it seemed like the most intelligent thing to do with Leaf Tickets was buy out all three crafting slots with Cyrus, but it's starting to feel like the real limitation of the game is inventory space. You start out being able to hold 100 items, and you can spend 20 tickets to add 5 more slots to your inventory.

I'm curious what strategy you guys have taken to using your Leaf Tickets in the most optimal way?

Anyway, I wrote up a pretty lengthy first impressions piece on the game here- http://toucharcade.com/2017/10/25/animal-crossing-pocket-camp-first-impressions-review/

Here's what the first session looks like, which lasts just under two hours before you start running out of poo poo to do-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmKn3TvGZ4

This OP will be filled out as more information comes forth.

Such as this (written pre-NA launch) :

Thwomp posted:

Notes from the late-game:

The highest loan amount I've reached so far is 150,000 bells (previous loans were 100k, and 125k). No idea if it'll go higher beyond this and it seems a little pointless at this stage as other players have to actively enter your camper to see your progress/setup when visiting.

The mid-tier amenities are definite must crafts, at least to level 1. It's not hard to get animals to level 7 very quickly. Early game should be focused on finding visitors who supply Cotton and getting them invited to your campsite as every early-tier amenities requires cotton.

High-tier amenities require two different kinds of essences (rare-ish crafting materials). They also have 72 hour timers. They're required to unlock the animal level cap of 20 (from 15 which you'll hit in short order if you aren't focusing).

Leaf Tickets are pretty sparse after you nab all the initial stretch goals. Only leveling up grants additional Leaf tickets after goals are met.

After level 12, animal visitors want you to craft a special item. Don't craft these until after you've unlocked the level 20 cap on visitors. It'll add 10 points to them and you'll quickly find them bumping up under the level 15 cap.

My advice for when the game launches later this month:

Starting out, find any visitor who rewards Cotton and get them into your campsite. Bother them at every opportunity to give you more cotton and build out every early-tier amenity to level 3.

Pick two visitor types to focus on and get every animal of those types invited to your camp. You'll want a balance of reward types so you stand less of a chance running out of crafting materials. There are five kinds of crafting materials: 3 common (Cotton, Wood, Steel) and 2 uncommon (paper, preserves).

Unlock all the mid-tier amenities (level 5 for your focuses, just level 1 for the other two types).

Grind away until you unlock the high-tier amenities for your chosen types then go back and unlock the others. Don't craft each visitor's special item until you've built their high-tier amenity.

Hoard Leaf Tickets until you see something you really, really want. You won't get many more free ones after the initial 400-500ish from leveling and stretch goals.

There's all my :words: about Animal Crossing.

Thwomp posted:

Not to toot my own horn but I wrote two Pocket Camp guides for TouchArcade. They should answer most questions people have had so far starting out.

Here's a Beginner's Guide and here's a guide to maximizing your daily efforts.

:siren:FRIENDS LIST STUFF!! :siren:

Anaxite posted:

It started working for me, but I'm waffling over which of my Nintendo accounts to use.

The servers may not yet be super stable, but this is a reminder that there I maintain an SA Animal Crossing friends database if people care to use it. I'll be on the lookout for new entries this week especially.

Fill out this form to get added: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-form
And see the database here: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-db

(I'm a bit lazy in renaming the URLs)

Helpful chart (updated Jan 8th, 2018)

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Adding your link and video to the OP, thanks!

Also, I'm hoping that they at least add in the stalk market sometime, because I loved it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Going to add those friend codes to the OP, but does anyone know if iOS and Android players can play together? I'm going to assume yes, until I hear otherwise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

After re-reading the material, there actually is nothing that specifies for or against linking your save data to your Nintendo Account and then transferring over later when you have a later iteration of the game for your proper region. When you set up your game, it asks you are region you are in, and Australia is currently the only option; and there is no option to change that setting that I have found, so far. I can't say for sure if they will give you that option again during transfer, or if you will simply be loading an Australian save file in your otherwise non-Australian app. What this could mean is anyone's guess, regional differences regarding holidays or events?

Yeah, as much as I want to play this early, I don't want to get into some weird region limbo with my progress.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quick question, because despite being the OP, I'm in Canada and haven't played it yet: can you mail stuff to animals and friends? Write your own messages, send gifts, etc? I realize that this being on mobile, you could literally find 100 other ways to message people you know, but choosing the stationery, keeping within the space limits, and also waiting on the mailbird added a lot of charm.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Wow, I totally forgot about mailing letters and stuff. I haven’t seen anything like that here. :(

Is there a camp message board, at least?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm sorry :smith:

Maybe it'll come back in an update!

Maybe?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Croccers posted:

What did they end up adding to Miitomo? I stopped with it not long after launch.

I stopped using it within the first month, so I just checked out the Google Play description to see anything I didn't remember.

Here's the entire thing, in case you're curious:

Google Play posted:

What can you do in Miitomo?

■ You can make your own Mii
These are characters you can create to look like people using a variety of facial features. You can also set their nickname, personality type and way of speaking.

■ You can use your Mii to chat about stuff with your friends' Mii characters
"Where does the nickname you gave your Mii come from?" Your own Mii and those of your friends will ask questions like this for you to answer. Your answers will be shared with your friends, and your friends' Mii characters will tell you their answers.

■ You can dress your Mii in style
From super-casual to the most elegant fashion, or even fun fancy dress, you can outfit your Mii with all kinds of items from the Miitomo shop!
◆ Clothing items can only be purchased with Miitomo coins. Miitomo coins can be purchased, or earned by using Miitomo.

■ You can get items in Miitomo Drop
Miitomo Drop is a fun minigame where you try to drop a Mii onto a platform to get the items on that platform. Special items are up for grabs here!
◆ Miitomo coins or game tickets are required to play Miitomo Drop. Miitomo coins can be purchased, or earned by using Miitomo, and game tickets can be earned through various means, including daily bonuses.

■ There's even more fun to be had with Miifotos!
Get your Mii into the perfect pose, add some stamps and a photo you've taken for the background, and get snapping! Mix and match elements to make your perfect Miifoto.

Other Major Features

■ The "message" feature that allows your Mii to send and receive messages.
You can now exchange messages directly with your friends through your Mii.

■ The "Customise Room" feature that allows you to change the floor and walls of your Mii's room.
Win new wallpapers and floorings on Miitomo Drop, then use them to customise your Mii's room.

■ Show off your style in "Style Central".
Share your outfits with the world, and find amazing new ensembles made by people from across the globe, giving hearts to the ones you like.

■ See how everyone else has answered questions in "Answer Central".
Answer the featured question, and see how people across the globe have answered it.

■ The ability to create new "Sidekick Mii" characters.
You can now recreate your favourite celebrities or characters, or make totally new Mii characters, who will live in their own rooms. They will also be able to send and receive messages to and from friends, and show off on Sidekick Central.

■ Post and comment in the Miifoto Log.
You can post device photos or Miifotos to the Miifoto Log, and share Miifoto Log images to social media such as Facebook or Twitter.

Below that, in the latest change log, they said they updated the Mii making options to the Switch standard, so I guess there is more customization there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Owlkill posted:

E: nvm. A dog helped me.

Ha, if only I could change the thread title... Very nice.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

This thread loving died.. what happened? I'm not able to play because i'm US and don't want to tempt fate, but I'm interested in the game..

I genuinely think it's just a matter of most of the world not getting it legitimately. I know that, despite being the OP, I'm not playing it until it's actually released. Then I'm adding all you jerks, and we are going to have a time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

IMO This should go into the OP.

Done!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I hope that, with the worldwide launch of the game, there's some sort of content update. :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Slow down there, champ. Most of the world hasn't even gotten a chance to play it yet. And you already want them to add more content?

No (well, yes), my point is that from the reports of what HAS been released, it seems like it's a pretty empty game. I'm hoping that once the rest of the world gets it, and reviews start coming in, Nintendo/DeNA start shaping the title to something that more resembles a traditional AC title, based on much more feedback than they're getting right now with the limited release.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anaxite posted:

It started working for me, but I'm waffling over which of my Nintendo accounts to use.

The servers may not yet be super stable, but this is a reminder that there I maintain an SA Animal Crossing friends database if people care to use it. I'll be on the lookout for new entries this week especially.

Fill out this form to get added: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-form
And see the database here: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-db

(I'm a bit lazy in renaming the URLs)

Adding this to the OP, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WalrusWhiskers posted:

How do I link fb/Twitter for the Nintendo points?

It's in the friends section. Click on "more" at the bottom right of the screen, 'friends', and then 'add friend'. This is also how you find your own code.

Speaking of which, add me you jerks :toot:

0630 9329 593

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

wisdomHNOX posted:

I’m going to add the goons in the OP, but could my friend code be added as well please?

Can you add it to the google doc linked in the OP?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just added a second floor to my camper. So far, this is VERY Animal-Crossing-esque to me. Scratching that itch :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Crusher posted:

So, no way to sell/trade/gift clothing, huh? I hope that changes!

Might be changing soon, since crafting your own clothing is on its way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

And More posted:

Some animals are more likely to give you steel. It's mostly the cool ones, but you can just google it if you don't want to waste time figuring it out.

That makes sense, since almost all of the 'cool' furniture requires it.

Is the furniture more or less random? I picked 'cool' when asked what kind of camp I'd want, so I got a few pieces of modern furniture available (The blue checkerboard ones), and now I'm getting music equipment, which is loving awesome.

Does anyone else get this when they choose 'cool'?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't wait for the seasons to change in this game :3:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Like, real ones? That scream and dance? Not those dumb NPC ones?

It's the latter, the kind that saved your progress in the first game, not the kind you collect and activate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really wish we all didn't start with the exact same animals and item catalogue :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What I wish would be for the system to separate the notification for updated market boxes from the quarry requests. I try and clear out that little red dot often, but it'd be better if it didn't show up, or there was an orange dot to signify a quarry request.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I have to ask, even though I might know the answer... What's the point of decorating your camper? I was doing that a bunch, and my wife (who's also playing this game, as her first experience with Animal Crossing) just asked me why I'm bothering, since no animals go in there ever, and I didn't have an answer for her.

Is there a point? Or is it just 'for you'?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

precision posted:

i check out people's campers way more than i do their campsite

also arranging furniture for nobody's enjoyment but your own is like, the bedrock the series was built on, literally nobody ever saw your house in the original game

Didn't animals visit? And when was the happy room academy a thing?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

a kitten posted:

I'm not inviting that fucker anywhere near my camp. I probably still owe him money from AC1. :ohdear:

Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to boot up my first ever village that's likely still on my GC memory card I have lying around. I'd need a GC or Wii first, but then I think about all of the weeds, and all of the animals who have moved away, and then I get all sad :smith:

"Bricko? We've all heard tales of your life here.... no one has been in your house in 8 years!

Oh, and could you clean up these weeds? Thanks! Welcome back, bud!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I absolutely understand why they took away the NES games after the first release, since the virtual console was a thing, but it would have been really neat if the Wii version was able to check what VC games you had downloaded on your system, and then let you collect them. Useless, but neat!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Adding to the OP, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

We need cooler villiagers added that give out paper and preserves.

And are added to players' camps randomly :colbert:

How would they even do that? For new players, they'd just get random animals, but for existing players, I assume they'd just change the upcoming order?

On the topic of changes:
1- streamline the goddamned notifications, holy poo poo :argh:
2- uhhh, make KK do something cool?
3- these are literally my only issues, at least the ones I can think of.
EDIT: 4- Bring back the Happy Room Academy, and maybe weekly have them send a newsletter saying 'We're looking at cool/natural/cute/whatever campers this week!' or even 'A mix of <two styles>', and then you get some sort of bonus for having a properly themed camper, with more points available to upgraded campers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

Holy poo poo, Roald, ease up buddy! I want you in my base for that good good cotton, but all your kiddie shits need like 90 cotton themselves. I guess it takes cotton to make cotton. :sweatdrop:

Same, friend.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bugs me that you can only see the first 4 slots of anyone's market box unless you're checking it directly with them right there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Who needs corn stalks? Here's a tip: ostracize that animal for being terrible. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Who's the animal that asks for corn stalks? I want to preemptively ignore them :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

I got the full Santa outfit and I'm missing the cake, tree, fireplace and snowman only.

It's day one only. Save me.

What's day one only?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I did a request for someone and DIDN'T receive a candy cane, this is hosed up

edit: And another. Uh... what's a reliable way of getting candy canes? The quarry only?

Yeah, I was getting candy cane 'bonuses' from animals after I did regular requests for them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hell, can dolphin run on phones yet?

You could try the N64 Japanese version of the first game. :shobon:

EDIT: Also, I am loving this game more and more as I play; I had to stop expecting it to be along the same lines as a classic AC game, it's its own thing, and I find it fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

You should buy one for all the amazing games already on it now.

Yeah!

And the inevitable Smash Bros version that'll come out for it :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can some people that’ll actually help with quarry requests add me? 10643894527

I try to keep my marketplace stocked with a variety of stuff so I’m a decent friend to add.:)

I'll add you if I haven't already. My in game name is Rupert. I check the requests fairly often.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

They definitely need to fix up the UI, especially with the notifications, as well as the market boxes. Don't just show me a preview of the first four items, show me the whole list (when looking at a friend's profile).

Also, it'd be nice to filter friends by the items they have.

"I'm looking for a crucian carp.... Ok, great, these 6 people have at least one". On one hand, it might take a player away from the actual catching mechanic, but I already don't bother with that and just buy it from people.

On the other hand, this might cause a lot people to update their market boxes more often.

Also, what's the deal with animals at your camp rarely needing anything at all? Why do their requests just almost entirely drop off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

'Yo, I thought you had fruit for me to buy; who'd you sell it to?"

"Your mom" :smug: