Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wow I can't believe the OP doesn't include the very important and popular Monumental Podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
BRING BACK JAMES FROM KENTUCKY

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

Bryan, what’s 1 + 1?
Three! Right? It’s gotta be three. Because if I’m in a match, and there’s one guy in there, and then I add one more guy, that’s three. It’s a triple threat match. What? Two? loving TWO?! Get outta here!

Then he blames it on how Vince thinks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

hearing Dave and Bryan talk about Paulo Costa's physicque and how he can be a superstar and not even mention that his body looked like Vitor Belfort on a bender and acting like he was au naturale was really depressing

You've got some depression issues if you need more steroid talk in your life, especially when it involves The Eraser.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

It’s extremely unlikely that a guy making what he makes could spend enough to beat USADA. Even the rich guys get caught occasionally.

The drugs are always trying to stay a step ahead of the testing and some guys just get lucky until they get caught. But the Eraser is clean all hail Brazil.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mariooncrack posted:

Today is the 20th anniversary of the Montreal Screwjob so part one of the observer covering it was posted today.

There's another in depth issue from late 98 when Shadows of Wrestling came out. I think that one was from December. Great stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Meltzer mentioned on WOL he would like to get that up tomorrow and Bryan said they could probably have it up by next week - it's supposedly the complete audio transcript of the Vince/Bret lockerroom confrontation :aaa:

I'm reading part 1 for the first time and it is bringing back just how bizarre the whole thing was. Best part is Dave opening with,"People will still be talking about this 20 years from now" and welp here we are.

It's already up, it's in the normal archive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

17~ years ago there was a prowrestling site with a guy on it named something like Dan 'The WCW Mark' something. He wrote a fake article about Bret Hart getting screwed throughout his day; which if you read it in Bret's cadence was hilarious.

It was things like "Woke late this morning because my alarm didn't go off. drat clock screwed me. Paper boy screwed me; threw my paper in the lawn where it got soaked by the sprinklers. Thought my coffee maker screwed me by not turning on...turns out it was my wife who screwed me because it was her turn to set it last night."

It wasn't comedy gold all the way through, but it was pretty darn funny in parts.

Sorry the only funny things written about wrestling were The Adventures of The nWo B-Team.

...that and GH and Joe's Nitro/Raw reviews.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I wish those reviews were still online.

They were the best part of Prodigy Classic wrestlechat. Well, making fun of Bob Ryder to his face...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Dave doesn’t seem to have poo poo for sources in WWE when Jericho and Heyman aren’t there. He’s was way behind on the locker room illness story, and his reporting on KO/Sami breaks zero new ground on the info give by Mike and Ryan’s reporting or Pat Laprade’s Twitter.

He was right about what Reigns had while others were misreporting it. Also was reporting on Jinder's shoulder injury very early. I was going to say he broke the SS main event too but I guess that involves Lesnar.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Jinder’s physique changed, and Dave recognized it, because the same thing happened to his shoulder years ago, so I can’t really count that as a scoop.

I will give you the Roman illness one, Dave was the first with the tentative plan for his return at the Atlanta Raw.

You do realize he's not lying when he says he talks to WWE and gets injury updates.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Walter interview is great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Something that anyone in wrestling media could do?

The crux of my point is not that Dave is lying. I don’t think he fabricates anything.

My argument is that he doesn’t have much by way of sources inside the company right now. Last year, it took him a week to know if Ryan Ward or Road Dogg was head writer. That says to me that he had zero quality sources inside. If he can’t get scoops, the value of the service I’m paying for goes dramatically down.

And in that same time period he knew weeks in advance that AJ Styles was facing Shane at Wrestlemania, that Orton was winning the Rumble and facing Bray, and basically the whole direction for months before it came out, along with return windows for Finn and others.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Watching Labor insist on kicking an own goal over citizenship when it comes to referring their own members going No No lalalalala will be the most Bill Shorten thing. You got gifted the moral high ground now lets make sure we are the villains and appear as obfuscating piss possums.

Agreed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

I gotta know, did Bryan have no idea who Walter was

He just saw a WALTER match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan: Okay let's move on to the rest of the news.
Dave: Actually let's do the mailbag, there are a bunch of questions about Eddie we should do now.
Bryan: You wanna do the news first, then the questions?
Dave: No no, the mailbag first. I want to answer the questions.
Bryan: Okay then.
Bryan asks first Eddie question
Dave: Oh I don't know.

You missed Dave starting to answer the question and Bryan interrupting to change the question.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There's a Leo Nomellini obituary in the latest back issue.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

How Kurt didn't win the WON rookie of the year award in 1999 (Blitzkrieg did) is lifes biggest mystery.

Edit: just realised in the entire history of the rookie awards only two WWE wrestlers have ever been rookies of the year - Chad Gable and Tom Zenk in 1984 and Zenk tied for that award with some no name guy called Keiichi Yamada who no one has heard that name of since 1984.

(Brock should've won over Bob Sapp)

Kurt Angle winning that year would have been completely idiotic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Tom Zenk loving sucked though

Uh, no he was really good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He was a good worker and a beloved (and probably problematic in retrospect) WOL guest.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Konnan was a beloved WOR guest so I think the standards here are somewhat low

Konnan asked Bryan Alvarez questions so that was cool.

Tom Zenk was legitimately an eyada era phenom, people loved him, thought his appearances were the funniest thing and demanded more of him. Standards for wrestling humor are obviously low but drat was that dude popular in the MNW era IWC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly I thought "Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine was loving great" would be a more controversial opinion for me to hold than "Tom 'The Z Man' Zenk sucked rear end"

Greg was good until he was bad.

Also I forgot to not ask Dave if he has "memories" of something but specifics about business, I still know almost nothing about CCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've gotta say I have become really let down by Karl Stern's Longform History of Wrestling. He's hit the late 30s and it is basically still just reading off match results. Very little about how territories have formed and how the business is developing. It was fine for eras where we don't know much beyond the results and some news clippings but we have a ton of info on the 20s and 30s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

as someone who loves the biker taker/flair feud, i can't argue with this. It's super dated, and people have seen the rise and fall out of suburban biker worship, but poo poo like Monster Garage and Chopper Build Challenge were in the American mainstream culture. I also think Rollin' is the reason they scoff at Biker taker in hindsight, but I think that's people hiding from their teenage copy of Hot Dogs and Chocalate Starfish.

This stuff was all big in the culture but given the immense amount of money they spent on the character it flopped as Undertaker was nowhere near the draw during that period as he was before or after.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Ah, that clears it up.

At the same time it would have been almost impossible for him to be as hot as he was against Austin. Realistically it wasn't really possible for him to be the respected elder statesman either so it may not be fair to judge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It seems weird but also fitting that Taker arguably has the best and the worst Mania matches of all time

Also Bret Hart.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I know AJ has been wrestling forever but it does seem kinda early to be putting him into the Hall of Fame when it's likely he still has several years of absolutely top-level performances in him.

He does but it's much better to have wrestlers voted on as close to their prime as possible. Look at the arguments over Sgt. Slaughter. I don't think he should be in because his peak wasn't quite long enough, but at this point we're 35 years removed from it. It's so hard to judge him as most active wrestlers would know his WWF run more.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

"Acts" seems pretty deliberate. He could just say inductees no?

So at least one tag team or non-wrestler is included, right?

I assume Dave Browne given Lance Russell.

I was thinking Jimmy Hart when I read the verbiage but Dave Brown makes more sense.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm this close to tweeting at Satin and asking him why he tried to steal Milky Ways.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave Meltzer: Global warming is actually good.

Well, actually it is bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Tully and Arn got less votes than Edge thats just not right

They deserve less votes than Edge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

They were a team for a short run where Edge had a historically important and influential team, was a great worker and a decent draw.

Lid posted:

It's 20 years on and people can still recall Jericho's WCW heel run, Y2J, first undisputed champion (lol), glitter jacket, scarves, the list...

Orton has...

A really big successful run after Cena's injury in 2007.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

Eh, if Jericho and Rey is in, Orton might as well be.

Rey is a much bigger star than Orton and frankly Jericho. Rey made WWE the #1 promotion in Mexico for about 5 years and let them do huge drawing house show tours there along with big ratings.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Lucha needs a bunch of people going in and the Non-wrestler category shouldn't be taking spots from Wrestlers IMO

It doesn't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

Agreed. That he'd want Edge to be in and not want someone like Goldberg is his clear bias for work rate over drawing power. Sting was way better and a bigger draw than Edge too.

Edge was a bigger draw than Sting come the gently caress on. Goldberg was a draw for two six month periods in his career. Sting played to empty houses for 90% of his 25 year career. Edge drew consistently above average houses on a brand that had been in the toilet for big periods of the aughts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He may arguably have Worst Match and Worst Feud as well.

Worst feud should really be Pierroth vs Diamante Azul but it doesn't have a prayer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Jinder was most overpushed and that's what the award is now.

It's what the award has always been, it literally can't be "most overrated by the fans" since how the hell would they vote for that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Outside of Conor who'd be next in line for Draw of the Year though? WWE house show attendance is dropping and Mania is sold on name alone. Okada or Naito I guess cause they've grown New Japan business, and maybe someone from CMLL.

Micro Man sold out Arena Mexico in his first match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Just as easy to quantify as ‘most over-pushed’. Cody and the Bucks are the easy answer there.

If you are a fan and are voting for who the fans think is the most overrated in a fan voted award it is impossible for the winner to be the person the fans are overrating the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Good Listener posted:

Listening to Saturday's observer like...I really do not agree with much of what Dave says about Randy Orton staying on top when he's literally one of those "boss's choice" boys for years.

But he's a Vince guy who actually drew money. Beyond his hot run in late 07 through early 08, he did some big business in the lead up to WrestleMania 25, and that show itself was a big success, it almost did a million buys without a major celebrity attraction.