Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

StarkRavingMad posted:

Dave's indignant "those were MY bananas!"

I died.

And she smashed a banana into his hair first! Chaquita proudly presents Banana War Games in Young Dave's Apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I missed out on the banana smashing in each other's hair part of girlfriend breakups. :(

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

I wanted more debate on the merits of prostate exams vs watching raw

You've got to keep your hole healthy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

I think we might have had this conversation before, but what IS Randy Orton's best match? Vs. Mick Foley waaaaaay loving back in like 2004?

I think that match was his best. He gave a lot of himself and took damage. After then he's just sleepy man.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Orton always looks bored. Even when he pretends to be angry he looks bored. Aside from a few notable examples I think it's easy to say that Orton does not give a poo poo. He just looks like what Vince thinks a wrestler should look like.

Foley match was his best, IMO. His work with Evolution vs The Shield was amazing, but he was 1 of 6 making that happen.

I loved the Bryan Mania match for obvious reasons, but I couldn't tell you a single thing Orton did in that match.

Shocking I have more memories of The Miz doing stuff than Orton. Like I remember when Orton flipped out at Kofi for being out of position for a spot, Orton accidentally putting his foot through the monitor hole in the announcing table, and the time he inexplicably did a high jump and touched his toes.

Oh and when he started feuding with a 5 foot girl who throws fire in his face and makes him cough up goo. Which honestly is the best stuff I've seen him do since the Foley match.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this. the people that wanted to see him in AEW were baffling to me

I watched Tyler Black in ROH and always thought that WWE is where he would do the best because he had "something", but not something I liked or wanted. I got a very sports entertainment vibe from him. And then he went to WWE and he's not done bad.

Orton is kinda the same thing. Orton belongs in WWE. He has that WWE look and is generally reliable to give the type of match they like. It's tough to imagine him being in AEW or New Japan. He didn't give a poo poo when he was 25 or 30. He certainly doesn't give a poo poo at 40. And pretty much everyone in AEW gives a poo poo. He has a great look, a good entrance song people pop for, and the RKO. Aside from that... I dunno.

I understand why other wrestlers like working with him. I think even I could have a passable match with him within 20 minutes notice. There's the lock up, he does some safe moves, I do some safe moves, he gets me in a headlock, eventually I'm thrown out of the ring and get the DDT off the second rope and then get kicked in the head or take the RKO and bam I'm chilling at the Waffle House by 10pm. Not a bad day at work.That doesn't mean he is entertaining.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

collocation posted:

I don't know if you're being ironic about the funny goo (and I may not know if I am being ironic sometimes when it comes to things related to The Fiend either, for that matter), but the Funhouse match with Cena was my favorite "match" of all time, and I am hoping that this all leads to one, since I sure as hell don't need to see Bray or 2021 Orton in a regular rear end match. (In the leadup to a Funhouse match at Mania, I would also be glad to see Orton Vs Orton (whether it's weird cut shots and body doubles or like the Fight Club boss scene) or Orton Vs Bray's invisible Fiend spirit.) I really enjoyed Orton cutting a promo on Orton on Monday. It was dumb as gently caress, but dumb as gently caress in a way that is much better than normal boring and tedious Raw promos and matches.

---

I tend to like "different" poo poo and, on a completely different subject, since Sammy and especially Ricky were way less of a big deal when it happened, everyone should see their match against the Broom and Mop from Sammy's vlog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcjBflVkpTs

---

As for the Mania 3 way, didn't Orton (ironically) get dropped on a monitor and spend much of the match laying there afterwards? Dude trusted someone else to remove something once, and look where it got him.

---

I forgot The Shield vs Evo matches. Those were great. I find what joy I can in what I watch, be it ironic or otherwise, but that was the last period where I somewhat trusted WWE to go in the right direction. I didn't know Bryan was going to be out for so long, it seemed like they were pushing Cesaro which seemed important at the time, Aj Lee had had an amazing run, HHH was actually losing at the right time when it seemed important, NXT was new and shiny ,The Shield looked like they were going to be the future, and I expected Ambrose to get a giant push to the world title when they broke up. They were still Evil Corp, but things seemed OK.

I maintained enthusiasm for awhile, but they jobbed Ambrose, who was the last guy who I thought had potential to be a "the guy" that I wanted out at nearly a dozen straight PPVs, and they've never gotten back to that level, at least for me. In many ways, it seems like Bryan winning was the end of the last mostly good season of WWE and those Evolution matches were the coda. With Seth turning as "plan b", they fell from their most recent mini-peak and haven't had one since. I ultimately gave up on expecting them to try to do the right thing for their fans at the nadir of Ambrose's jobbing spree as they continually intentionally stopped his momentum to try to avoid his popularity hurting Roman. Once I knew they were never going to get behind Ambrose, I just stopped caring in the same way. They've had good moments and good matches since then, but nothing that I could care about like I've cared about AEW and NJPW. Had they actually pushed Ambrose to the moon, I would probably have never bothered branching out and watching NJPW.

---

Back on the original subject of Orton, it's pretty weird seeing him try to do the WWE top guy comedy that only really worked for Rock and Cena that Vince insisted upon, and doing this bad impression of HHH in 2004:

---

I think that was predicated upon the notion that he would try, which also baffled me, as to why people would think he wouldn't act like Booker T or RVD in TNA taking a vacation.

I'm totally not being ironic. I love the weird supernatural stuff. I know it's not for everyone, but I love it. I loved Undertaker vs. Undertaker and would love to see Randy vs. Randy although I don't know how you could pull that off without a LOT of work and obviously no live crowd. But the story is fun. But I also think Wyatt and Alexa Bliss is the best thing in WWE right now so I'm clearly not with general consensus.

And you're right about him trying. He would not try. I mean aside from the Foley match I don't know if I've ever seen him try as much as he has against the henchwoman of The Fiend, who hasn't been seen for months. At this point I'd rather see Randy vs Bliss at Wrestlemania.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

today’s deadlock ruled and they had a pretty good solution to the explosion dud(pre-tape the explosion and then evac the crowd with 2 mins left on the clock) I felt

Well that beats out the stupidest idea I had heard which was from Bryan saying they should have turned out the lights for the explosion because "who watches fireworks during the day!?"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wait, did Bryan think shutting off the lights would make the explosions stand out more at least

Yeah because it would be fireworky and you wouldn't be able to tell that Mox and Omega weren't hit and then they can turn the lights on and all you see is the aftermath. Although the smoke is always more impressive.

Of course the general concept is based on the idea that they knew the explosion was going to be mistimed and be a dud. I mean, imagine if they had turned off the lights at this big climactic match and you just saw sparklers going up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m glad someone posted about it because I skipped like seven minutes and it was still going

It's impossible to argue with Bryan because his arguments are like a fluid in space that you're trying to catch with a butterfly net.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Low Desert Punk posted:

someone uploaded the whole Kayfabe Commentaries shoot with Bret on Youtube. it's an essential listen if you've never went through it before. It's not a YouShoot so there's no dumb sleazy poo poo, it's just two hours of quality information and content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIdItX-pSA

Thanks for this. Watching now, it's fascinating.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

davidbix posted:

The original Shawn Michaels class has always been insistent that he was in there doing drills, workouts, etc. with them. But it's also clear that Rudy Boy Gonzalez was heavily involved, as both the original class and the later students all have Rudy Boy's distinct footwork style in the ring.

Harley Race usually had a head instructor working for him, but I always got the impression that he was as involved as he could possibly be with his physical condition taken into consideration. A lot of his earlier students throw the distinct Harley Race punch, for example.

In general, it varies by the school.

I was in a few classes after Danielson and Rudy Boy did 99% of it. Shawn would come in every other week or so for a little while. What's sad is that when he came in and helped train we all got it so quickly. Like what would take Rudy Boy 3 days to poorly teach us, Shawn could get us better within minutes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Gaz-L posted:

That's really interesting, because I think it was said that Shawn wasn't going to be good as an agent for NXT because so much of it comes naturally to him and he has trouble articulating why you'd do X at Y time.

I can only go from my own experience but teaching us very basic stuff like bodyslams he was really good at. Like under Rudy Boy we were dropping each other on our heads, but Shawn came in and I picked him up for a slam (with the explicit warning I was not going to slam him) and the entire class figured out how to do it. A very simple move but the way he worked it out for us was very helpful.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan should review The Mickey Mouse Club again :hai:

If he's never seen it I'd love to hear Bryan and Vinny reviewing Lost.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MJeff posted:

When he pointed out that Jungle Boy had that awesome match with FTR bald and he was the talk of the town and then just kinda faded into the background again.

I, uh, dunno. Kind of a good point. I at least thought we'd get a big blow off between FTR and Jurassic Express but the blow off to that was a 6 man with Tully and now FTR is feuding with Proud and Powerful.

I dunno. I wasnt thinking about it before but. Dave was kinda making some good points.

It's always possible to tighten stuff up, but to me it's like McDonald's versus a 18 course dinner at a fancy restaurant. McDonalds is going to be McDonalds but even if I forget the 6th course of my fancy dinner I remember liking it when I was eating it. This might be a dumb analogy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I was at the taping when Taker killed Warrior in the coffin and it was certainly an interesting show for a kid who was seeing his first live wrestling show.

Oh, also it's when Damien was smooshed by Earthquake. Lots of death on that show!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Lid posted:

Dave in full Dave mode talking about Rey Fenix in saying while he doesn't think Fenix is the best wrestler in the world like others say he is the Most Spectacular...

Oh wait theres Vikingo

Ok Rey Fenix is the Most Spectacular in a ... Major Promotion ... oh but AAA is major um yeah but Vikingo is currently obscure and unknown

And it went on like this.

Explaining Dave: And it went on like this.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Incessant Excess posted:

i want the braids back

"We have such sights to show you..."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

lol he looks like a kid who was grounded and sent to his messy room.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

HidaO-Win posted:

So WOR once more mentioned bananas in passing. Important question.

Is it “The Lore of the Dave” or “The Lore of the Meltzer”?

They both exist but in two separate realities, but they're going to meet each other in the Meltzer CU.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Lamuella posted:

In conclusion, Dave Meltzer is a land of contrasts.

Ya know, it's just the nature of the beast.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

davidbix posted:

Cleveland Territory represent! Thorne was great as always as we talk about the Cactus Jack injury angle turned legit injury at Center Stage, Sean Waltman's first day with the WWF, the Champion Carnival, that epic Ultimate Warrior holding up European promoters story, and much more. Including Billy Joe Travis going wild with shoot guitar shots.
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1386542977481416704
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1386544495819468800

Cactus is something else. Like how do you think a planned spot with Vader powerbombing you on the concrete would go? How do you think a planned spot where you are thrown off the top of HITC would go? Both pretty much went how anyone other than Cactus would expect.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Mick Foley, aside from not being able to move well.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan Alvarez appears to have unknowingly "discovered" the Hero's Journey after watching Star Wars with his daughter :allears:

lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

davidbix posted:

They would have been flying first class most likely. The WWE policy has always been that the champ gets first class and keeps it after losing the belt. Both were former champs by the time Billy Silverman showed up.

Presumably it was about someone else on the roster like Viscera.

Like with Meanie, Silverman had not been told any of this before he got in trouble.

So Jindar gets to fly first class for life? lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

davidbix posted:

Unless something's changed? Yes.

If you're a WWE wrestler, just getting a quickie title run leads to a massive quality of life improvement for the remainder of your time in the company. One would hope this has been extended to the women, even if most of them would have less issues with traditional airline seating, but I"ve never asked.

I love the idea of Brian Kendrick cockily sitting down in first class because he won the world championship for a few minutes in that scramble match. I'm going to imagine that happened.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

Is it bad that I kind of wanted them to just throw out the rest of the report and spend the rest of the show arguing that point? :allears:

It was kinda neat to see an exhausted, tired Bryan perking up and going,"No this time I'm not letting him steamroller me, I'm gonna die on this hill!"

What was the argument?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

Apparently Ember Moon had a long match with Dakota Kai that ended in a DQ when Gonzalez ran down to attack Ember, and Ember managed to take her out. Bryan said the match ended up feeling like a complete waste of time and they should have let Ember beat Dakota first to give her some credibility as a potential threat, then did the attack afterwards. Dave argued that nobody will remember or care about the match itself, just that Ember Moon was standing tall at the end.

They got VERY animated about this.

This is not a hill I would twist my ankle on, let alone die on.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

lol. Brian on WOL explaining that OF COURSE Joe would sign with WWE because the company isn't going out of business and it's a job for life.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Drakkel posted:

....after they just fired him for no reason?

I guess the chat clowned on him because then he changed it to "He was unemployed and got a job offer! Why wouldn't he take it?? Sure he could get fired, anyone can get fired from any job at any time!!"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MassRafTer posted:

He goes to a lot of movies with his family I wish I could remember what movie he had to go to a few years ago and buried his family for it.

I'd love to hear him review something like Breaking Bad or GoT episode per episode.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Nea posted:

christ almighty. i know that people sell shirts and poo poo, but MLW does have tapings and a contact with vice, loving /surely/ they can pay their goddamn wrestlers more than a show in a school gym

I looked for MLW on Vice the other way and it doesn't appear to be on. Is it still supposed to be on?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

the escape goat posted:

Bryan: “…is that so?”

Dave: “If you’re gonna murder someone, may as well go somewhere that the hierarchy kills people all the time”

…incredible

Dave's desert dry sense of humor is highly underrated.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

Plenty of new the lore of Dave's ex-girlfriends on WOR as well.

"I didn't tell my girlfriend that I shaved my mustache because Missy Hyatt told me to."

I miss WOR so much. The YT clips just don't cut it sometime

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Arbite posted:

Black Friday's coming up soonish.

Good point. I might jump on that this time.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think he said the Lucha Bros during the promo. It sounded more like he slipped up trying to say the tag match the IC wanted.

The crowd was so loud I'd be surprised if either group could hear what the other was saying. Also it seemed to get really rushed towards the end because I think it was going way over due to the crowd. Not a bad problem to have, but I didn't know what the hell they had agreed to at the end.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Q7kid posted:

The broad strokes I got are that ATT will force Sammy to agree to their terms on some match, possibly for the TNT Title, as a means of earning the ten-man tag the Inner Circle wants. It certainly didn't convey 100% clearly, but that seemed to be what Lambert was alluding to with talking about how the man with the title has the stroke.

Gotcha, that makes sense. It was a fun segment.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

davidbix posted:

I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS HAPPENED.
https://twitter.com/JCLayfield/status/1450591635100819458
(Besides that Brisco asked me and I was happy to return the favor after he gave me such a good, candid interview.)

Wow, nice work bix

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Gumball Gumption posted:

I missed it the first time but on re-read, "zine" like it's an insult. Rosenberg working heel.

I don't know how old this guy is but I'm getting elderly Lambert vibes from him what with zine and radio and NEW YORK references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

What is with this genre of person and their obsession with other people's sneakers??