Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MC Hawking posted:

Okay, thanks for the input gang. I did some more digging on available chrome applications, available android apps, and the Crouton environment. I find it hilarious that I could install that, steam, and then Civilization. If only I could dig up a copy of Alpha Centari I'd really be meta. ;)

https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

Six bucks at GOG. The Windows version runs great under Wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

unruly posted:

For anyone who has installed Linux on one of these: What is the experience like? I have an HP Chromebook 14 and its... okay. I don't really like using mainly web apps, and lately Chrome has been really crashy (even after a powerwash and update). My fear is that battery life is going to suck and that the lackluster specs will not hold up to the hype in my head. It wouldn't be for anything serious: Some light web development, Firefox and that's about it.

Once you're gotten it installed, and applied the very helpful automated fixes for the hardware stuff that doesn't work in a fresh install, it's perfectly normal Linux, exactly the same as if it was on any other computer.

I have one with the BIOS flashed to John Lewis's RW_LEGACY, so that it can still boot to ChromeOS on the tiny internal storage, but it can also boot from other media (hit ctrl-L at the "OS Verification is off" screen, then ESC to get the list of bootable devices. Yes, it's a little annoying but it's not a huge deal.)

Anyway, booting off other media means you can just boot from of any bog-standard Linux installer on a flash drive. You can use that to install Linux to the internal storage as normal, or you can leave the ChromeOS partitions completely untouched and install Linux another flash drive or SD card, which will then be a persistent system. You can even plug it into another computer and boot it there, with all your files and settings intact. (Pro tip: if installing to USB, make sure both the target drive and the port itself are USB 3.0 or all i/o will be painfully slow.)

I usually use an Ubuntu Mate install that's on an SD card, so that there's no USB sticking out. The slowest part is indeed i/o, but I really only notice that when doing updates, which take a few extra minutes. (I've never had an update break anything.) The machine itself is obviously no speed demon but it has no trouble at all fullscreening video from netflix, youtube, or a local file. As for battery life, it's usually plugged into mains power but my impression is that it lasts almost as long in Linux as it is in ChromeOS.

Lots of very helpful guides: http://www.fascinatingcaptain.com/tag/install-linux-on-a-chromebook/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

unruly posted:

and lately Chrome has been really crashy (even after a powerwash and update).

unruly posted:

but honestly, I'm getting tired of using it when it crashes so frequently.

That's not typical. If it turns out your chromebook has a hardware problem (glitchy RAM or something), then switching to Linux won't help.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Can you try installing Visual Studio Code on it and let me know if it works? Maybe try downloading a plugin too if it actually works.

VS Code is the best thing Microsoft has made in decades.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

hosed up keyboard ?/ hosed up keyboard ribbon ?

That'd be my guess. Stuck ctrl key, or similar.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

So is there any way to not go through the developer mode BEEP BEEP IM WAITING 30 SECONDS song and dance on the c302/any device?

If no its no big deal.. im basically just playing with this thing anyway and i dont think i have a single use for linux on it :shrug:

E: so far all i've found is instructions telling me to open the device and disable jumpers

If you want to get it out of developer mode, I think you just hit enter on that screen and let it wipe itself back to factory default everything.

If you just want to bypass the screen without waiting and get on with a normal boot, hit ctrl-D. (If you're using SeaBIOS, ctrl-L will jump you directly to boot device selection.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I figured I'd give Flex a try, I even have an old Thinkpad that's on the certified models list. Time to download the... oh, I guess you can't just get the .iso, you have to use some craptastic Chrome add-on to build a USB drive on the fly. Fine, whatever, Google's gonna Google. So here we go, installing the Chrome add-on, firing it up, aaaaand...

:toot:

They don't seem to want people to actually try out their new hotness. I mean, I have a Windows VM, but I'm not sure I want to go to the bother of trying to get the Chrome thing to play nicely with the USB passthrough.