Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Other apps (Android, Linux) can have limited access. I know that the last time I installed Ubuntu using Crouton, that instance had access to the device's system drive, and Android apps were not able to access external storage (e.g. MicroSD card,) however I'm pretty sure this is being changed if it hasn't already. So basically if you used some kind of Android app you'd be able to save files somewhere, I just can't assure you of the permissions that app will be granted at this point.

This sort of leads me into a question about the current state of Linux + Chromebooks as of November 2018... in so far as it can bridge the gap between a general purpose laptop and the sleek, works well Chromebook that in so many ways would be just great for me.

Here's the context and my thoughts.

Currently I have a 6 year old Sony Vaio laptop i5 with 8gb of RAM running Xubuntu 18.04 (with Chrome open basically perpetually) + Windows that I need to retire or move to desk duty. Also have a home server (old laptop but does the job for file server + download bitch, photo store, Plex and Docker selfhosted services duties). drat thing is having power issues in recent days.

I plan on getting:
  • Laptop for on the sofa browsing mostly, perhaps take it out with me travel use with some extra onboard duties and nerdy projects... more below
  • Soon: Beefier home server. Maybe even the current laptop re-purposed, probably not.
  • Later: A desktop PC for gaming duty if I ever get time for that again with a new kid.

So for that Laptop sofa warrior...
Day to day:
  1. Browsing, obviously. Chrome is basically never closed on either my home or work laptop
  2. Home server administration - almost all via SSH and HTTP, occasional SFTP, can even bend on some of that
  3. Photo management (Google Photos + pile of files, covered by home server admin)
  4. Video calls to the grandparents etc (although could do this on the phone)

Occasionally it will go on trips with me where duties may change a bit (all of these have literally happened with my current laptop in the last year, but are not day to day):
  1. Small local Plex server to server a local Chromecast
  2. Some local downloading
  3. Onboard photo management while on poor connections where I cannot quickly upload them - and even if I could, not every image is something worth putting into Google Photos.

As for the local more geeky projects, assume the following Linux apps, example only. If I'm honest, I don't use these all the time.:
  • VS Code - no, not expecting this to be a build server or run 50 VMs, I'm talking the occasional hobby project when the mood takes me
  • GIMP - again, not the digital Mona Lisa, a touch up here and there
  • Open Shot - hopefully you have the idea by now, sticking a few videos together vs. producing a trilogy of feature length films
  • OpenTTD, Widelands (all purpose boredom defeaters)

Realistically I'm thinking about a Chromebook as an "I just want it to work" device for day to day browsing on the sofa after work + kid asleep, one that I can easily loan to the other half as well. That said, and for the price of some, I'd want it to step up while I'm away and find myself on a lovely internet connection where I cannot reasonably get to the home server, and there's the occasional times that I want to do more than many browser-based apps do well. For those times, I'm thinking the Linux support on Chromebooks could step in. That said, the linux and android app support is just something I want to play with for no better reason than it's there to be played with.

Thinking about it all, I'd like more than 4GB of RAM handy, although I rarely fill even 8GB on my current laptop.

With all this in mind, I'm jumping between:
  1. CAD$537 Asus Chromebook Flip C302A with 4GB of RAM, m3 proc and 64GB storage: Mainly because we bought one for my MIL a year ago and it's a great device. However, the lack of ram concerns me, as does storage to some extent.
  2. CAD$999-1799 (-$200 discount for BF/CM) Pixelbooks - taking care of the RAM issue on all specs, although knowing I can have it, I start to look at the extra $300 for the 256GB storage with hungry eyes... as I do at the money-hoovering top end 16GB ram model. Knowing Google's habits, likely I won't be waiting for features either.

So, all that written out, thoughts on what you'd do in my case?

(I've written out the context for this because (travel aside) no one machine has to do all of these duties, better still if they can be remotely done from any machine.)

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Dropbox recently dropped Linux support. I switched to Spideroak. So far I'm not too impressed but it'll do until Drive works in Linux.

Are you referring to the dropping of anything except unencrypted Ext4? As controversial as that was, you can still install it just fine if you [are willing to] meet the requirements.

As for Dropbox on Chromebooks, looks like I've got the answer for using the Linux client. I'll look into recommended workflows with it a bit more. Current casualties for me of a switch would be Skype (unless the Linux and/or Android Apps work), Dropbox clients (I'll get by with the website + switch to Drive) and Steam (I'll use an entirely different machine).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

you can even use the Plex client to control your Chromecast as opposed to running a local server temporarily (you could even do this with a smartphone, or either device with local content if you don't have a connection to your PMS at home.)

True true, and that's what I'd prefer to do if the situation allows me. If only for example sake though, could I use the Plex Media Server linux packages on a CB to run a local server. I fully admit this is an atypical scenario for a CB.

Honestly, part of me is thinking about setting some budget aside for better upload for the home.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SurgicalOntologist posted:

The Android Skype app works for me. Steam works in both crostini and crouton, although for now no graphics acceleration in crostini.

That'll do me on that front :) TBH I'm trying to ween the parents off Skype now as we can get miles better video quality on more or less anything else.

As for Steam... I'll live. This isn't for gaming.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

MrNemo posted:

Skype web client actually works very well on my Chromebook.

Did they ever add video support on CBs to the web client? I'd check myself but my current laptop has really given up on life.

Related question, more in hope than expectation: is any Chromebook worth having still made with user upgradable ram and storage? Future proofing answer, but searching on the matter isn't hopeful.

Edit: aside from adding a microSD card

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 3, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

most CBs aren't user-upgradeable

Yeah I've reached the same conclusion. Shame but I get it and I'll file this under: know what I'm getting into. I'll compensate with a microSD card, and saw your earlier posts about storage access changes.

I ran a bit of a poll earlier and most people are saying to get more RAM, above and beyond storage. I'm inclined to take that advice, admittedly I'm a tab horder and I can foresee myself using Android apps and Linux containers assuming I can be bothered to wake up off the sofa after a day of chasing the child around.

Given budget is also an issue at the moment (see child mention above) and that at some point I just start looking at the entire laptop range (any OS)... blah blah blah... Current frontrunners for me are:

1. HP x360 8gb/64gb - (Newegg.ca) - was USD$450 on BF/CM so about CAD$660 - Seems to cover drat well everything for an extra inch of screen size. That includes Android and Linux support. Even has a proper headphone port and USB-C and USB-A ports. However, I've seen colour complaints.
  2. Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA - Usually the CAD$530 on sale for the 4gb/64gb verion - Loved as we previously said, but no Linux support coming. However, look at the where to buy page for configurations then ask yourself why they are charging Pixelbook money for the i7 16gb/64gb version, and what they were thinking with an 8gb/32gb version. Lacks USB-A but I'm OK with that.
  3. Pixelbook - CAD$1k and up - gets round storage and ram issues even in the base model, but $$$ and no SD support of any kind, USB-C only for headphones (here we go). Honestly as we step up through the models I start to think about something that can do gaming if I'm spending this money.

Used BF/CM prices in the hope I'll get another chance in January 26th December... brain loving work drat you.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 4, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Well now I've decided I like the Chromebook Spin 13 too. Varying on exactly which model to some extent, one of the 8gb RAM ones is most likely. Slightly stepping towards Pixelbook money I admit, but also considering the SD card slot and QHD screen, I'm interested.

Downside: Hard to impossible to find in Canada yet so I'll be off to the States.

EDIT:

Atomizer posted:

I have a handful of Android apps installed, but still almost 10 GB free; the important thing to note here is that your CB only needs to have Android apps installed that you wouldn't already be using on your phone/tablet. You don't need to have the same apps on multiple devices, so if you limit your CB to the Android apps you actually need on it then you'll probably be fine.

Just curious, what apps is that turning out to be for everyone? For me I can foresee Plex possibly going on there, for offline usage and Plex Sync when travelling. Perhaps Netflix for the same reason. Both of those would be travel use when offline, web clients all the way when online or at home. Since I don't actually have a Chromebook, a guess on my part. Perhaps Annotate, since I'm a fan of large red arrows.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 5, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

loudog999 posted:

I have made my mind up to get a pixelbook and am trying to talk myself out of getting the i7. It seems like too much of a price difference for what you are getting. What type of user will need the i7? I only plan on using it for couch browsing, Office, and maybe some android games.

I think the i7's are targeted at the market who are developing Linux containers specifically for the Chromebook. Perhaps (and I do not know how) there's a video rendering market too (or Google is hoping they'll get one).

I would not say the i7 would be of benefit in your case with your intended use. I'll be honest, in my search above I've all but ignored i3/i5/i7 as I intend roughly the same + photo management and pissing around with hobby projects. In some ways, I even wonder if I'd rather have a lower-power consumption i3. [stands by to be corrected about how all of them use a thimble of power when idle]

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Tunga posted:

I have the 256GB i5 and I think that's probably the best option as 128GB can disappear once you start using Linux containers.

I'd normally agree that more storage the better on a fixed-storage device (i.e. one you cannot change later). Had I not just come from my Linux laptop, with a 256gb SSD, partitioned about equally between Linux and Windows, I'd also be worried, but I didn't run up against the space limits of either of them in my case. That, and with the direct intention of offloading some storage onto the microSD card (howsoever it is available), and most of all aware of the disproportionate price jumps between 128gb to 256g, I may go 128gb.

A lot of this post is convincing myself I am aware of what I'm getting into. I could see myself being wrong if, for example, Linux apps gain raging popularity due to ChromeOS supporting them.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

teagone posted:

Is a used Acer C720 with 4GB RAM/Core i3-4005U for ~$60 a good deal?

For $60 I'd be hard pressed to think of reasons why not. When you say it's EOL, when does Google's Automatic Updates stop for that model?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Boxing Day sales wise... I'm not seeing anything significant on the higher end side (8gb RAM + as much storage as I can get) except the Pixelbook -$300 deal. The Acer Chromebook Spin 13 isn't even in stock in most cases. Wondering if I hold out (past boxing day/year end)...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
On the subject of stuff that will probably happen around then: Dual Booting with Windows is coming to Pixelbook, then others...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
ChromeOS adjacent question but what are people doing for scanning with CBs? My MIL has a Google Cloud Print enabled Brother laser AIO and the printing parts work excellently, but I was sat in bed last night wondering what I'd do about scanning.

EDIT: Mainly to prove I take advice as well as ask for it, I've been borrowing my MIL's Chromebook for about a week since my old laptop is really toast. It's an Asus C302CA. Frankly, I enjoyed it:
* SSH: This was the important one as I spend quite a while in SSH onto various servers. Worked well. Couldn't generate an RSA key locally, never got round to doing it on the server (but I'm sure I could).
* Plex and Prime Video
* Browsing in Tablet Mode, in Portrait: Frankly I liked this a lot more than I thought. I was on the sofa getting some reading done looking sophisticated when in fact I was just browsing SA.
* Touch while typing: I found myself doing this more than I thought. For just hammering the send button in GMail or similar, it was as easy as any other way and a new habit I took up quickly. Nothing made me necessarily but I do like it.
* Battery life: I basically charged it twice in a week.
* Lack of headaches: As I said, when I pick up a laptop at the end of the day, I just want it to work as I zone out. This did it well.
* Getting poo poo done: Before I gave it back, I had to quickly type a letter and use GCP to print it + some attachments. Easy and as quick as anywhere else.

Overall - I can not only live with this, I reckon I'll enjoy taking the edge off Computer Janitoring for a bit at home. Get paid for that at work.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 2, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

The simplest thing to do is honestly to just use your phone's camera

Oh I do, with ScanBot for Android if you're wondering. Google Drive also has a scanner in it. However, the resulting scan files are much larger than comparable ones from works Konica scanners. I do find myself sifting through a lot of paperwork that ideally I just want to scan and keep, but that said your point still stands about it being rarer.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Asus updates the beloved C302 with the C434. In short:

* Up to 128gb eMMC storage
* Up to 8gb ram
* i7-8500Y, i5-8200Y, or M3-8100Y
* 2x USB-C ports and 1x USB-A port
* microSD slot
* 14in 1080p touchscreen with 5mm bezels.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I like the black keys the 302 has.
gently caress, now that I've seen it I cannot un-notice that.

Cojawfee posted:

Also, it says you can get an i7, and i5, or a third one and the price starts at 569. Does that mean the i7 version would end up being like 800 dollars?
I thought the same thing when I saw the 3 models. It's a safe assumption you'll see price jumps between the processors, but what they are yet is unknown. I wouldn't be surprised if its $100 per step in each important spec (e.g. for ram and storage too), but that cynicism and baseless speculation on my part.

EDIT: Based on this Asus press release/news post it looks like all models will have 8gb ram (good), storage and processor will vary.

Cojawfee posted:

I'd be interested to see what kernel version it will run. If it can't do Crostini, that will be a hard pass and I'll stick with what I got.
Do you mean if it can't run Crostini? Yes, I'd be avoiding it if it cannot as well.
Edit: clearly you do and I either misread or you ninja edited at a master level

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 8, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

ChromeOS adjacent question but what are people doing for scanning with CBs?

I ended up finding an answer that worked for me. My MIL's Brother MFC-L2740DW (newer model here) can scan to Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc directly from it (a browser of some kind is required for setup only, not for routine use). FTP scanning is also an option. Was going at some pace when I looked into it but there are workable options at least there.

EDIT: Look I know my MIL sounds like some sort of tech genie, but she's got a house with space for this stuff whereas I've got a new kid, a condo, and because of both, minimal budgets :P

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 8, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Does not look like the [Asus C]302 has Crostini support

It does not (at least not yet), and the Chromebook community treats it like an open wound into which cigarette ash falls every passing day.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

dedicated handheld digital audio recorder is probably the best option.

I agree. You may also find your school provides recorded lectures for dyslexic students.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
An Asus CA302A stands out as it's just been superceded by the C434. Not sure if the display is IPS though

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hadlock posted:

I wish they would release a 12.5 or 13" version of the C434, seems like a slam dunk, but I don't want to cart around a goddamn 14" laptop all day

It's in effect a 14in screen with thin bezels in a typical 13in body. I feel the same way about carting huge laptops around but that size is acceptable when put in that context.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Check the dedicated back button as well. Stuck down or gummed up with spilt drink?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If I want a ChromeBook that's either 13", or 14" with a narrow bezel, 1080p, and so far 4GB of RAM has been fine for me but 8 wouldn't hurt, what are some choices? Regardless of price points.

I got an Acer CB14 a couple of months ago with an N3160, wouldn't mind a little more horsepower but it's been okay for $220 so far. Biggest thing I don't like is the wide bezel, it's like a 14" screen in a 15" chassis.

Personally the Asus C434 jumps to mind given that screen size and ram-range requirements. Acer Chromebook Spin 13 as well.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

seconding Asus c434

Actually while we're on the subject, the higher end Asus C434s (i.e. 8gb ram or greater) seem noticeably hard to actually find, especially up here in Canada. I'm keenly holding on for one (and conveniently seeing if there are any major-model wide issues).

This isn't the first time we've spoken about this, Acer did the same thing with the Chromebook Spin 13 (and jokes on them because it gave the C434 time to be announced and now I'm waiting for that). Still... jesus, it's 2019, people don't like to wait in this particular way. I'd pre-order it direct from them or on a seriously major (Amazon, Newegg sized) retailer if it were a reliable option.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Humerus posted:

I'm selling my old chromebook and just wanted to make sure a Powerwash is enough to securely erase it, and if not, what should I do?

I'd think so but if you're really concerned, I'd download some Linux ISOs (seriously, actual Linux .iso files as they can be large) to fill the storage after powerwashing, then powerwash again. Overwriting the memory can eliminate most attempts to restore data from it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Jewce posted:

How about this same exact question except price point is $300? Trying to get something for my mom who really just needs some streaming and basic web functionality.

At this point I wish I knew which Acer chromebook specifically was available for around that in Costco (actually in costco, not online). EDIT: You'll have to compromise on the bezel thing

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 25, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Jewce posted:

Acer C423 is one I see like that. Also available on Amazon for $250. It seems like it could be good for her. Thanks!

Great. I went for the actual physical in store Costco option as (at least here in BC) they seem to have a reasonably solid offering for a cheap Chromebook that I'd direct people to in a heartbeat over Windows "streambooks" etc. Also she could go and actually see it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

. These Acer C720s on Woot are $75-80 for the 4 GB RAM versions.

...and they are perfect for the reasons you give, but I note they have reached the Auto Update Expiration date.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Well there's hope of ever seeing a good retailer have consistent stock of the C434 in Canada. Costco Canada has the 64gb Storage/4gb RAM version (four! Friends don't let friends unknowingly buy 4gb ram) on their website for CAD$689.99 (-$10 off the usual retail price).

Based on this article, if and when the 8gb version of the same comes out we could expect about a CAD$90 (USD$70) price step for that, although Costco might knock a buck or two off.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
There are some tidy deals on the Acer Chromebook Spin 13 at the moment. The i5/8gb ram/128gb storage one is CAD$849 on Amazon.ca. Wondering if this will unseat my Asus C434s lust, which has been dampened by build quality and availability issues.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

Didn't realize that the 434 was having build quality issues, thats a shame!

I'll try and substantiate what makes me think that today. Mainly Reddit horror stories. Couldn't during my post due to kid disturbance

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

. Personally I format or a convertible for ChromeOS, aprefer a more traditional laptops my use-case is more for data input so having a nice keyboard built-in is important.

This is the way I feel too, strongly. However Brydge keyboards are so good that it actually can bring a tablet back across the laptop line.

I never mentioned it, but reading this Chromebook thread lead me to Brydge, and in turn I bought one for my other half's iPad Pro. We both love it and have hammered out essays etc using it.

She then took it to her work, who needed the portability and ease of iPads but better typing. They have now ordered 8 iPad + Brydge combos. Same result.

In conclusion, Brydge owes this thread referral money.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
This thread taught me what MMX actually was.

Now I feel justified in desiring it back then.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Tunga posted:

(touchscreen not needed)

I completely get why you say this. I don't think a touchscreen is truly needed, but I do find that, if I have it, I use it, especially one Chrome OS. The first point withstanding, you might find it desirable, especially if Android apps are in use, which generally assume direct input.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I was using CloudReady last week and like it a lot. I'll do a full write up on it later, but suffice it to say for now, if you have a spare laptop or desktop (especially one with a touchscreen), it's a great option for keeping it useful.

However, I had a question that may apply more broadly, has anyone either installed Steam or otherwise used Steam Link using the Linux apps functions (not the Android app) on a Chromebook? Ideally on CloudReady but anywhere is useful. I was able to install it last week and run Steam Home Streaming to my gaming vm, but performance on the clientside was unusuable (1-5fps at a guess, with lots of tearing). Guess is that the Chrome Linux VM cannot access any hardware acceleration. By contrast, Xubuntu + Steam on the same machine has been excellent (just a little tearing, XFCE issue). Furthermore, Steam Link on my (Android) phone has been flawless to.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 11, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Ok, here's a legitimate, good, cheap-as-possible CB: Dell 13 (7310) for $100.

Well, that's gone. Would have driven to the states to get it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Replaceable storage happened years ago (first year of two of Chromebooks) but the tech industry decided that was a nice trend that had to stop ...