Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The point has already been made, but I really don’t see why we’re so concerned with the financial security of a man worth tens of millions of dollars.

Louis CK can go get a middle-class family’s house in the middle of Wyoming and he can just live the rest of his life not being a factor to anyone anymore. That is the LEAST we can ask of a dude who molested people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Are you kidding me he was on Ellen for crying out loud and went on the most public apology tour of the era. Kevin Hart has done more good for the world than any other comedian I can think of. Philadelphia public schools still wouldn’t have computers if it weren’t for Kevin Hart. Like if there is a better example of someone who honestly tried to make amends please post them.

Philanthropy is bullshit, and just two weeks ago he was telling Lil Nas X gay people don’t have real problems.

Vintersorg posted:

So Ellen is cancelled now too?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The point I was making by posting a picture of Ellen with W, specifically in response to someone asking if Ellen was cancelled, was not that being associated with a former president makes you persona non grata - it was the irony of Ellen specifically, who was being praised for her work in the LGBTQ community, having a rehabilitating moment with the single living president who has done the absolute most to ensure that LGBTQ people do not have the proper rights of straight, cisgendered people.

My point is that it’s pointless to argue if Ellen is “cancelled” because she is, at this point, a full arm of the status quo. She has the least offensive, most tepid show in television history, and she will absolutely will have on raging homophobes like W if it means she can get another generically famous person on to play games on a tablet with her. Kevin Hart going on Ellen means essentially nothing, especially if, as the discussion has completely skipped over, just two weeks ago he was telling Lil Nas X that he shouldn’t be complaining because gay people aren’t discriminated against and don’t have problems.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I really don’t need to be in touch with a generation that eats laundry soap

Do you get your news from the funnies page or something

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus Christ close this loving thread.

The thread is fine, there’s just one consistently terrible guy in it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hailee Steinfeld was cast as Kate.

It’s not official yet. The most concrete rumor is Slashfilm saying she was offered the role in early September but we’ve heard nothing since then.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

See also: West, Kanye.

Kanye West, infamously obscure person.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its a little easier to forgive professional sports income when you remember that most of these guys are gonna be completely unemployabld by thirty

And will completely destroy their bodies and also probably their brains in the process.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hard to see 5-29 years for someone who made rape into a lifestyle as a win.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean dude's still onside with Seinfeld right? And a big Biden supporter. Not surprising.

He was all in for Pete before Biden.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t even remember what Alyssa Milano was famous for before “rapist superfan.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t deny that Taylor Swift is probably puppeteered to hell and back, every pop star is, but a lot of the complaints about her having too many breakups just came across as a sexist meme to me. What, a woman in her 20s not having settled down yet? Shock, gasp.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Off of the top of my head, Gamergate was basically formed around an accusation that they had slept with a writer on Kotaku for a positive review of their old game Depression Quest, but that writer turned out to have only mentioned the game once as an aside in an article about something else, and before they had ever met to boot.

A year or so ago they opened up about numerous sexual assaults and predatory behavior from Alec Holowka, a programmer and soundtrack composer on indie game Night in the Woods - several other women came out against him alongside them, and Alec committed suicide. They had to stay off the Internet for a few weeks after that one, understandably.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 27, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Smash YouTuber Sky Williams is providing us with the answer to “what if Jeffrey Epstein was also a landlord.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Zogo posted:

Kevin Spacey Accused of Sexually Assaulting Two 14-Year-Old Boys in New Lawsuit
https://www.thewrap.com/kevin-spacey-accused-sexual-assault-14-year-old-boys/

Wait two weeks and we'll see if they also get in "car accidents."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Ratajkowski really is the modern Monroe, she gets unfairly mocked for her occupation but she’s sharp as a tack. She had a great episode on Michael Moore’s podcast Rumble.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
He only barely lost the election, too.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama-senate-special-election-roy-moore-doug-jones

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah I’m not sure why this assertion that Rowling’s TERFdom has harmed the franchise is fairly widespread. I’m not saying that Rowling isn’t terrible, I just think 97% of Harry Potter fans don’t give a poo poo.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 16, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s not really that people didn’t care so much as the Biden campaign hired the “damage control” advisor for Harvey Weinstein and immediately went with a strategy of pointing out a time she had her education wrong on a resume, begging the question of “what ELSE has she lied about!?”

Never mind that she had a legitimately complicated education path and may have just been mistaken, never mind that everybody lies on their resumes, never mind that that doesn’t have anything to do with whether you were raped.

The Reade story was buried in record time. It was almost impressive to watch, only stopped by how much it worsened my depression.

Biden is pointed out as the death of #metoo frequently but I don’t think he was the death so much as confirming something we already knew. It was a dead movement walking the second Louis CK started selling out shows again. I think the only people’s careers it may have legitimately affected were Weinstein and Spacey, and the latter is having all his victims killed and sent the signal to kill Epstein. Allegedly. Parody.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 19, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think you can put the death of #MeToo on Louis CK returning to stage. Louis CK absolutely did face consequences, and still does to this day. Those consequences didn’t end up being “literally exiled to Monster Island”, they were simply “the loss of $50,000,000 in contracts and deals, the complete dissolution of his production company for 2 years, and serious personal and familial loss as his kids won’t even talk to him”.

Oh no the multi-millionaire lost a chance to become an even bigger multi-millionaire. What a consequence. Meanwhile Dave Chappelle and Sarah Silverman are doing their damndest to make sure he’s exactly as wealthy and prominent as he used to be despite assaulting multiple women.

I should’ve known you would show up the second I mentioned CK.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It would also require you to move out of LA, which most celebs will never do.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I still think Bowling was a good conversation starter at the right time

https://twitter.com/eve6/status/1355538054820188168?s=21

Thank Christ someone else has pointed this out, it really is the dumbest loving interview

Warner said he’d stop the Columbine shooters by “just listening to them” like WWWWHHHHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA DUUUUUDE HOW DID NOBODY THINK OF THAT

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I did hear later on he got accused of pulling a casting couch with women offering them writing jobs at Gearbox.

Do you have a source on this? Because when I google it the only person I can find talking about it is right-wing grifter Ian Miles Cheong.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Rhyno posted:

It's an evasive non answer. "I stand with all victims of abuse" sounds pretty hollow when you won't back up the accounts of your costars.

I didn’t read it like that - I read it as in “I don’t have an account to give but I believe the women who have stepped forward.” And even then the reason she doesn’t have an account to give doesn’t mean nothing happened to her, it could mean she just doesn’t want to talk about it right now.

Even then, it actually would be believable if Whedon was perfectly fine with her but treated her co-stars like poo poo - we’ve seen this kind of behavior before from abusers, who are exploiting the power dynamics of the workplace and think they can’t “get away” with hurting the a-listers the same way they can those with lesser billing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
E: Wrong thread. Sorry everyone.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 10, 2021

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Before I had my doubts but after the things Trachtenberg said I feel very confident that Whedon is in the upper echelon of cancelled celebrities alongside Landis and Spacey. They will probably be in at least one more movie before they die, but it’s not going to be anything coming to your local AMC. Much Ado About Nothing-tier projects are the best Whedon can hope for from here on out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The only reason Miller was even in Underwater recently was because that was filmed in like 2015 and then didn’t see release for like four years. He is one of the rare MeToo’d people who I feel confident in saying is 100% done. If it was just the misconduct allegations he would’ve survived but that train incident tanked him instantly.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

He was asked and presumably gave an honest answer.

He wasn’t asked at all, he went out of his way to make the statement on his own. He’s since deleted the tweet but here’s an article with a copy of it: https://sciencefiction.com/2020/07/...-shouldnt-have/

It was a stupid and lovely thing for him to do. If he “wasn’t there,” then end of statement, no need to say anything else. He jumped in front of his friend and immediately believed him over his accusers. gently caress Alan Tudyk.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
A lot of this Whedon fallout is easily explained by understanding that abusers target people they think they can get away with abusing. It’s not a blanket thing. Sarah Michelle Gellar made a statement in support of the other women who stepped forward but didn’t have any stories to tell herself, and it’s believable that that’s because she doesn’t have any. She was the main character of the show, her name was in the title, if you did anything to make her walk you’re basically hoping Angel could coast for a while?

There’s a pattern amongst the people who actually experienced that and they’re always the ones who don’t have any leverage. Whedon couldn’t get anywhere screaming at Gal Gadot so he called in her stunt actress instead. His patterns manifest in actors playing recurring characters with little experience in the industry, including a minor for Christ’s sakes.

So like, of course Alan Tudyk was immediately like “he never did anything wrong to me!” Yeah, of course he didn’t, because you’re not only a white man but you’re the big guy on screen. Doesn’t mean that poo poo didn’t happen you loving idiot.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I mean, I think no level of influence was safe from Weinstein because he was literally the highest level of influence possible in Hollywood. But your point is still salient.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It sucks a rapist got out of jail early, but maybe the prosecutors should follow the loving law when prosecuting cases?

If the rule brought you to this, then what use was the rule?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Prosecutors not following the rules is what brought us to this. Do you know what the word "rule" means?

Nobody is “cheering on the cops” in this, there’s a communal acknowledgement of how hosed up it is that the legal system encourages this kind of 4D chess bargain-making, let alone what it says that the prosecutors thought they wouldn’t get a criminal conviction on a dude who has thirty-seven accusations against him, and you need to know what it looks like when you butt into that conversation with “yeah that sucks but them’s the breaks!”

Skwirl posted:

Do you know what the word "rule" means?

What am I supposed to say to this other than “gently caress you, too?”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Even if Bell wasn’t personally victimized it’s possible that growing up in an environment where Schneider was doing that kind of thing with no consequences gave him a hosed up sense of right and wrong.

Not an excuse, of course.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Very few things have been more damaging to culture than convincing comedians they had important jobs.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Dave tours with loving Joe Rogan. Nuff said.

He’s also rumored to have paid Sarah Silverman triple her going rate to perform at a festival with Louis CK so they had a woman on the ticket to legitimize him.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Al Franken was photographed sexually assaulting an unconscious woman.