Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bogart posted:

You have missed the word 'just'. It is not 'just' about the meat. A burger on bun may be a burger, but it is not a good burger.

Minimalist burgers are good if you have really strong meat. Like you have beef cheek in the mix. Those have enough flavour to just stand on their own with some mustard or horseradish and be a great burger. Hell if it's really strong cheese and fresh vegetables kinda clash with it and make the whole thing worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Burger from a hot dog place which does much better burgers than hot dogs. Why do so many hot dog places insist on giant rolls and stacking so vertical that even my giant gob can't take reasonable bites?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Found out a Huxtaburger opened in town so went and tried it.

Was pretty great, meat was really juicy and the buns were toasted with butter, ketchup and there's fried onions in there which aren't visible in the shot, just a good old fashioned burger.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It occurred to me I've never had a burger with radish as a topping and now I'm really curious, is it any good?

Radish is sharp, sweet and kind of peppery if lightly pickled. It's loving great as an alternative to regular pickles especially on really greasy burgers, same reason Korean fried chicken places give you a bowl of the stuff.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Perth? I've heard mixed reviews.

Yeah.

I liked it, maybe it's uneven and I got lucky.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Best burger in Perth is def Johnny's though. Shame it's in the middle of industrial wasteland an hour out of my way anywhere.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

What!? no.

I tried them and the patties were full of gristle and raw in the middle. They were huge but not good

Tried Hood Burger or Short Order? Bump In Burger? They're all WAY better.

Really? Wasn't my experience at Johnny's. I'm usually pretty blitzed when I'm that neck of the woods though, it being near my cousins, so that might colour my opinion. Like part of it might also just be the novelty of being the only place I know to do really big burgers well but they certainly weren't gristly or undercooked when I had em.

Also been to Hood Burger but forgot, yeah point, they good.

Was not aware of the others, which is a shame cause Bump In is near a mate's, need to check them out.

On old style fish and chip shop burgs you ever been to Novembars?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 16, 2018

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

They just shut down - Ceiling collapsed and Minh couldn't afford to keep the place open. They were really good burgers, if you don't mind a non-pure beef patty. He had a really good mix of onion, herbs and really good beef mince going on though. I attempted the Fat Boy once but only got through 5 of those drat half pound patties.

The anaconda was a favourite of mine though.

You're going to love bump in.

Edit: there's. Perth Burger Hunters page on Facebook, worth joining if you want to know about new burger joints popping up, where to get good ingredients etc. There's a few new ones about to open or just open that look the goods. Big Rigs are getting a lot of good reviews.

Aww poo poo seriously? Novembars ruled, that loving sucks. I'll keep that page in mind, not on FB but I'll give it a look.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Moey posted:

More info and pictures please.

I pulled this off Yelp as I only recently got a decent camera phone to food post with but one thing Don's pics didn't convey that I think is important is

Minh got them eggs just right. That runny yolk mixing with the sauce. That's the heart of Australian burgs I think.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

You're going to love bump in.

I did btw, no pics cause with friends but drat was that good, and so were the terrible rock n roll puns. Got an Eddie Cheddar and found a new potential thread title.

And Burger For All

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Went to Short Order on Don's recommendation.

A couple of times in the past fortnight

Pretty great though they need to melt the cheese more.

Being that close to the main city station is unfair.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah went to them too, no good pics though. And they are better, just further.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

The worst part about this story, is that in 1980s/early 90s australia, $3-4 would get you enough chips to choke a pelican to death. There was literally no reason to ever do this.

Hell it still will, minimum chips is still more than one person should eat usually.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Got to Hoodburger this week. And yeah probably best in Perth.

Was not expecting the chicken tenders to be that big or I'd have just ordered one, Christ.

iajanus posted:

It's also a decent beer

Yeah it isn't bad.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Love me some potato buns

Hey Don where'd you find those buns? You still in Perth?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bargearse posted:

I vaguely recall they do in Singapore

I didn't notice a difference in Malaysia either.

Edit: from the chicken salt/other seasonings I'm used to in Aus KFC.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

iajanus posted:

KFC chips in the US were the most disappointing thing ever

They don't have hot and spicy there either do they?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

KFC everything in the US is the saddest fast food, I have no idea why they still exist in a region with Popeye's, Bojangle's, or even CFA is better.

Man that sucks. Like until recently they were the only option fried chicken wise here, and while variety has arrived KFC's still pretty good? Like not as good as most of the independent chicken joints popping up or the other chains invading(Hot Star, Chimek and Nene's here, probably way more over east), but also like half the price.

Maybe I just go to a couple of particularly good KFCs though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Check out RoyAls and 3230 Smoke and Grill, very good southern style fried chicken.

Don't go to loving Thuggs, the chicken is poo poo and the people who run it are assholes.

Been to and like RoyAl's I'll look for 3230. And agree on Thuggs. Racist and soggy chicken.

Also see a new place is opening across the street from the old town hall? Next to the Honey Creme and the new ramen place. Still under construction but they had most of the internals up when I spotted it Monday.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My local butcher got me to try making burgs with beef cheek and chuck.

It worked, great unique texture but the beefy iron taste was so strong so it didn't really work with conventional burger toppings.

Thinking of maybe treating it like tough steak and throwing horseradish/wasabi and onions on next time. I'll take pics when I do.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bargearse posted:

I just went to a burger joint that markets itself as "asian fusion burgers" and names all their menu items after Dragonball Z characters and uses five spice mix on the chips.

It's a shame I didn't get any pics because they were pretty bloody decent

I went to Rockpool for a family thing last year. They had a Dragonball Tea. Which was basically a High Ball with Green Tea.
Wasn't bad.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Actually living in Australia is going to a bespoke pop up boutique burger joint and paying $22 for a Shake Shack burger

I had a pretty good pub burger earlier in the week. Proper rare in the middle with a nice char.

Northshore Tavern, no pics cause it was a work lunch and probably not professional to get the phone out, but I got the bacon behemoth.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 14, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's thinner than it looks too.

It's like the proportion of a pringles can. Good burgs though. Just, interesting, construction.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

It was wider than a Pringles can. I'd say about the diameter of a big mac but yeah much more to it

Yeah but you take my point they're weirdly tall and thin compared to most burgers at decent places. Not complaining they obviously know what they're doing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bargearse posted:

Peter Dutton smiling is the creepiest goddamn thing I've ever seen

The wages of mafia are terrible at times.

And yeah I keep getting startled by my own avatar when I post.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also the "worst cut sirloin" means it's cheap and accessible and easy to work into menus.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Grabbed an Impossible Burger. Still as delicious as I remembered.

Gonna be honest the waffle fries are stealing the show in that shot. Look at those things.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

wormil posted:

Long version: Decades back in Anchorage there was a burger joint owned by an Asian family that served like 30 (pulling that number from my rear end) types of burgers. They would put anything and everything (carrots, cabbage, on a burger in combinations that back then were extraordinary but the burgers were always delicious. The place burned down and was never rebuilt but I would like to try some new burger variations at home and am looking for inspiration. I've done pineapple + chipotle, pineapple + jalapeno, fried eggs + fried crispy onions, cucumbers + tomato + red onions, several different slaws, all awesome, but I want more ideas.

TLDR: I'm looking for burger topping ideas a little off the beaten path.

I had a burg with grilled beetroot and chicken liver spread once. Also had some standard salad and a garlic mayo. That was an interesting and staggeringly meaty burg.

The place also really charred up their burgs which was especially on point for this combo.

Edit: I wasn't entirely onboard with the grilled beetroot, but the chicken liver spread is something I still sometimes use on burgs at home.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 12, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Peanut butter and jalapenos.

Seriously.

I mean that's halfway to an American spin on satay p much.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

wormil posted:

I love beets and would try it. So a basic chicken liver pate?

Yep.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

You have opened the portal to the Greek burger realm.

Tomato, cucumber, red onion, garlic sauce, lettuce, feta, olives/tapenade...

Oh poo poo yeah, another option from the other side of the Aegean (well migrants from, or descended from there) the kebab shop burger.

Get a big patty, iceberg lettuce, tomato (or tabouli with tomato), lightly pickled white onion, hummus, shredded mozzarella, then a sauce composed of sour cream, really piquant mustard (English mustard's good) and a fierce chilli sauce balanced so it looks a threatening orange and garlic. Then put that poo poo into a turkish roll. For full authenticity make a vaguely oblong burger to fit the roll.

Oh and an egg. Cause Australia.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 13, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Do I need to remind you that New Zealand gave america the greatest gift?
https://theburgerbach.com/

Is the top one a pork patty? Looks a bit lighter than beef usually does.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So not my picture but I just had the Burger Kill at Bump In Burger. Sorry thread about forgetting to take a picture, I was with friends.

Crazy loving good, easier to eat than it looks too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Strangely, Earl has no interest in any type of human food. Not meat, cream, cheese, anything. Only cares about cat food. So he was just helping out of the goodness of his heart.

Gonna be honest.

Are you sure Earl is a cat? Just eating cat food does not sound very cat like.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fenrir posted:

There is no such thing :colbert:

If anything it should have some super caramelised onions to chase the raw reds.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Thread I burg'd

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Does duck make good burger patties? I know it's got more fat and can be cooked to a lesser doneness safely than chicken and turkey so I'm kinda curious how it does. But not like debone a duck to experiment myself curious.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Food truck got a sit down restaurant.

Pretty loving good. On another occasion I got their peanut butter, bacon and jalapeņo jam burger which also owned but forgot to take a pic of.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

I just realized that I have a real hard quandry: is it philosophy of sandwich/burger or theory of sandwich/burger?

I'm being introduced to whole new concepts here with peanut butter and jam in burgers, wow. Would love to try that at some point.
Also, is it related to your username? Because if so, good username/post combo.

EDIT: Additionally, I feel like I'd be letting people down by not quoting this from the GBS blessed images thread:

angerbeet posted:

Peanut butter works pretty well with burgers, it's basically the same note as satay beef.

Peanut butter and jam can be good on burgers and around here a lot of places do it, usually calling it an Elvis or something similar. The main issue is a lot of places overdo it and it becomes a sloppy mess. The one at Greenhorns (the place I posted) was excellent because they were conservative on amounts but used a very powerful jam and a crunchy peanut butter.

My name is mostly just a reference to me being a fat gently caress foodie.

Also no judgment on the miracle whip cause we don't have it down here.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Whalley posted:

On the one hand gently caress this; I'm tired of every fuckin' burger list on online just talking about Whataburger or In-N-Out, neither of which visually seem impressive to someone with no plans of going back to California or Texas just for fast food.

On the other, I really like knowing my city's got Hops Burger Bar and Big Burger Spot and ain't nobody know how good they are without visiting me. Big Burger Spot is the best fuckin' place for burgers I've had in both the US and Australia, and it's literally just connected to a gas station next to a walmart. I gotta go there again soon and get photos of my dang burg with truffle fries.

One of the best parts of this thread for me was running into Don and realising we're both burging in the same town and can talk about local places with someone who's been there.

Even if we disagree on Johnny's.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Have you done Big Rigz, Caveman BBQ, Rack City Ribs, 3230 and Bump In Burger yet?

3230 and Bump In Yes. Bump In a number of times. Caveman I was actually planning on hitting this week cause I'm working up north. Also gonna try Charcoal Charlie's for the same reason.

I met my dad for lunch yesterday at RoyAl's. The King of Crowns held together way more than I thought it would, like I figured it would be crazy messy.

Edit: huh I thought Caveman was up in Currambine, but it's Freo, must have been thinking of a different BBQ place.