Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Am I correct in thinking the OST of this will be by the same people as the original Xenoblade Chronicles OST? If so, that's loving great because the original had one of my favorite game soundtracks (and I really, really didn't like the Sawano soundtrack for Chronicles X).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been playing this and enjoying it quite a bit, giant titties aside. I really like the blade collection/switching gimmick, and the zones/cities are just as cool as the ones in the original Xenoblade. The cutscenes are anime as gently caress, but in a way that is really entertaining and pretty well choreographed. The track they play during some of them is a good successor to Xenoblade 1's "Engage the Enemy" (in general it's a huge relief that they got the same guy to do the music). I've also noticed that not as many side quests seem to be on obnoxious schedules like in Xenoblade 1, though the game does have its share of dumb things that almost require the internet (like figuring out a blade's favorite pouch items, for example).

One thing that confuses me is why they "translated" so many names. Like, with the original Japanese voices turned on I noticed that most of the blades seemed to be named after various Japanese mythological things. Dromarch is Byakko, Azurda is Seiryuu, glasses dude's blade is Kamui, Brighid is Kagutsuchi, Pyra is Homura (okay, Homura isn't a mythological thing as far as I know, but still a strange change), etc. The reason I changed to Japanese is that I didn't really like the English VA as much as the English VA in Xenoblade 1 (which I liked even more than the Japanese). The mix of accents is kind of strange, and the timing is often really weird, with certain lines feeling awkwardly rushed.

edit: Oh, I forgot another strange name change - "Poppi" was apparently originally "Hana." Hana doesn't even sound strange in English and isn't hard to pronounce at all, so I have no idea why they changed that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

Game is pretty great so far. The combat took a while to acclimate to with the combo and cancelling but I do like it so far. The areas are beautiful and the music is fantastic, definitely worthy of succeeding XC1. So far the characters and story are merely "ok" since Shulk/Reyn/Sharla/Dunban are an infinitely better and more capable bunch than Rex/Nia/Tora/Gramps and whoever comes next. The game's party so far just feels like we're a bunch of doofuses who somehow can fight these ungodly warriors mainly through luck and our deus ex monado.

I agree with this, with the exception that Rex oddly seems to be the most competent person in the party. Like, the guy is obviously really skilled from living on his own as a salvager for a long time, so it's not that strange that he is agile and can fight and what have you. I feel like, at least from the party members I've seen so far (which I think is only at most half of the total number that will show up), they tried to fit a lot of them into anime archetypes. It's not so much a bad thing as a "lack of a good thing" from XB1, though. The story is compelling enough that I feel compelled to play and find out what happens next, though I thought XB1's "literally just out for revenge" starting motivation was a lot more unique, at least for the JRPG genre.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bland posted:

e; Also I just got a new party member half way through Chapter 5 and tried to get them some rare blades with my big bag of saved up core crystals. 34 Commons and 6 Rares, 0 Rare Blades. Someone please tell me there's an overdrive thingy somewhere in this zone.

I got a 5* rare blade with a common core crystal in Chapter 2. It was a fish dude with a great axe (Gorg or something IIRC).

It is dumb that you have to link your cores to a specific character before using them and can only change characters with a rare item. I had to transfer Gorg from Nia to Rex using an overdrive (dunno how many I have, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the only one). There's basically a 1/3 chance that you end up getting a blade that isn't suited to the person you're using the crystal on (at least if you're like me and don't want to mix up classes on a single character). It just seems like a completely unnecessary thing in terms of game-play, though I guess it makes sense lore-wise.

By the way, regarding combos, if the A button prompt appears, will it automatically do the combo in question when you use your special? Or do I need to press ZL/ZR for a party member afterwards (or before if I'm second/third in the combo)? I think it does it automatically, since I've had a ZL/ZR prompt disappear after using my special. It's hard to tell because the visuals for the attacks aren't super obvious.

edit: Oh wait, chain combos are something different from the special combos? I think maybe the story hasn't introduced them for me yet or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In Training posted:

If you hit A that means you're doing one of the combo steps and changing the combo route. The prompts are probably going away because they either can't follow up with their element or they don't have a special charged high enough to continue it.

Okay, so let's say I want to do a combo that goes Party Member #1 > Me > Party Member #2. First off, how do I know what level my party member's specials are at? I couldn't find where it says. Second, how does the timing work? Do I just press ZR (or whatever) and immediately after press A, or do I need to wait for some animation to finish? And for my special, do I immediately press the ZR/ZL prompt after I press A, or do I wait for the animation to finish on that?

I'm not sure if there either isn't a clear visual response from a successful combo or if I've just never done it correctly. I know I've successfully done one that gives me "Heat" and one that doesn't, so presumably I've done some sort of combo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, thanks a lot. In particular knowing what indicates the party member's special level will be immensely helpful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one question I still after after reading that web page is why it recommends having a specific elemental variety. The tree thing it shows seems to imply that using the same element 2 or 3 times in a combo will also trigger a combo attack, but just a different one.

In general, I'm assuming it's a good idea to wait until a full combo is charged, at least against strong enemies, right? I don't think most trash mobs would last long enough to get anyone to level 3.

edit: I think that where I've been loving up is using specials too soon after other specials, to where the animation from the first one wouldn't have necessarily completed before the second goes off.

edit2: Oh, one other thing. Is the main purpose of these combos damage dealing, or causing some special effect (like the "Seal ______" mentioned in the article)?

edit3: Hahahahaha okay, a lot is suddenly making sense. That "Heat" thing was applied to the enemy, not a buff on my character, and basically represented the time in which to use the next special in the combo.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 5, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zore posted:

Most trash mobs easily last long enough to get to level 3. Elemental combos will make up the majority of your damage in chapter 3 and beyond and if you don't master them every encounter turns into a struggle where you plink people down. If you do you basically delete them.

And every elemental path is different. You want a mix of elements so you don't get stuck, like you can do Fire 3 times in a row but if you try to do that with Earth you get stuck at stage 3 unless you have Electric.

The status effects are useful too, especially against certain bosses, and if you don't have the right combo of elements you can't do poo poo. You also need Level 3 elemental combos to maximize your chain attacks which is a mechanic you'll be running into soon.

Ah, that makes sense. Does the special charge stay across blades? Like, if I'm at level 3 special and need water, can I switch to my water blade and execute it? Or do I need to charge it up separately?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I'm kind of excited to get home and try things out now. I had some pretty huge misconceptions about the way combos worked, but now it makes perfect sense. I had no idea that you had such a long time to complete each attack in the sequence; I was trying to get everyone to the required special levels and fire all them off as quickly as possible. After watching a youtube video I've now confirmed that I've never once successfully done a full 3-step blade combo (I just finished chapter 2, so at least it's not like I made it half-way through the game somehow without noticing).

Regarding driver combos, I'm assuming other party members will be intelligent about continuing them? I imagine it would be virtually impossible otherwise.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Heck yeah, I got my second rare blade from another common core crystal (Adenine) and also bonded it to Nia so I don't need to transfer it. Going to just save all future crystals since I already have one extra rare on both Rex and Nia.

By the way, I finally did my first actual 3 special combo now that I'm home and can try out what people explained to me in this thread. It did a heck of a lot of damage.

edit: It's interesting how it seems like the Nopon's only speech quirk in Japanese is adding "mo" to the end of what they say, as opposed to the caveman-ish thing they do in English.

edit2: By the way, do 3/4* blades exist? I haven't gotten anything but 1/2* ones and two 5* ones.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 6, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How important is auto-attack for a tank? I got this chip that significantly increases auto-attack and wasn't sure which character to put it on. For my DPS blades, it significantly decreased crit chance (from like 25% to 16%) while more than doubling auto-attack, and for Tora it reduced block from 37% to 32% while doubling his auto-attack. I wasn't sure if the 5% change in block chance was worth doubling his auto-attack damage. The only option without much of a trade-off was Dromarch, who more than doubled his auto-attack while only lowering crit chance from 5% to 4%, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea to increase the healer's damage that much.

I'm leaning towards Tora, with the idea that the increased damage and aggro from doubling his auto-attack will make up for the 5% decrease in block chance.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A friendly reminder do get your vendor deeds when you can. I just got one that can let me hold 15 Blade booster items along with things like 5% increased run speed, 10% less terrain damage, etc.

DO THEM.

How do you know when you can get them? I've tried buying one of each item from shops (aside from the one with the side quest near the beginning) and only one gave me a deed. I'm guessing it's related to whether they're selling their full stock due to development level, but how do you know if that's the case?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SlayVus posted:

Just walking through an area should give you a discovery to open up the map area. If not, you haven't been over there before. And yes, skip travel is the only way to view the map.

On this note, do all the available side quests in an area show up on the skip map? Because it seems like it shows at least some that you haven't encountered while walking. If so that would be really convenient, compared to XB1's side quests that almost required a guide to find/complete.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, fortunately you can outrun most of them in that area. Speaking of the factory, it was the only dungeon so far that I actively disliked. It was so confusing, and some of those loving tirkin would run around, often bringing more into the fight (and Tora was out of the party at the time, so multiple enemies often meant death). Speaking of running around, I really hate enemies that move around, because it causes Rex's 3-hit combos to stop and the enemies often move faster than Rex with his weapon out.

So I'm near the end of Chapter 5 I think, and this is possibly the most fun JRPG I've ever played (with the possible exception of Persona 5). Like, the original Xenoblade Chronicles had better characters (and better English voice acting - I'm using the JP voices for this one), but this one has much better pacing and more fun gameplay. The original felt like bursts of plot in between long segments of traversing distances, but this one feels like it never lets you go too long without some sort of plot-related events. The side quests are also far better, and are usually more involved than "kill some things/talk to some people" and often involve multiple steps. Regarding gameplay, I really like the whole blade collection mechanic, and it's fun to try out different blades and see how their specific affinity charts affect things. It's also neat how many/most rare blades have some sort of side quest where they get to actually show up and do things (sometimes alternatively a side quest where you acquire them). Plot-wise, it's definitely "anime," but in a way that I still find really entertaining. Rex is pretty good as far as "fairly stereotypical shounen protagonists" go. I generally eat up the sort of melodrama present in certain plot elements like the whole "blades lose their memories when their owners die" thing (like that one Vess side quest).

Probably my biggest gripe gameplay-wise (aside from the mechanical stuff others have mentioned, like having to view affinity charts when they update) is confusion over the efficacy of different aux cores and accessories. I'll often find myself in situations where I'm not sure whether (for example) it's more useful to increase auto-attack aggro by X%, increase arts aggro by Y%, or increase damage by Z% (all of which would increase aggro by varying amounts). How does increasing Special #2's damage by X% compare with some other damage-boosting accessory/core? It's all very confusing, and I've been sticking to really simple cores like "Increase crit chance," "Increase health," etc. I guess I might want to use some of the more specialized ones if I were wanting to fight a specific difficult boss, but I don't really anticipate that happening until the end-game (which begs the question of what practical use stuff like "Water Defense II" aux cores have).

edit: By the way, I continue to be baffled by the name changes. So many of these names are Western-sounding to begin with, and then randomly changed to some other Western-sounding thing. Like, I think Indol is "Arcadia" in the Japanese, and I have no clue why that wouldn't be an okay name. It's also a shame how a lot of the blades have names that are references of some sort, which are then lose in pseudo-translation.

Tae posted:

Regular healing is a thing, though. The Potions are basically healing for the DPS to use in emergency.

A bunch (if not most?) healer blades also have affinity chart abilities that make them spit out potions when they attack and stuff. I think potions might actually make up the bulk of healing done? Or at least a lot of it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 11, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Yeah but the higher level enemies seem hyper aggro and none have no indication as to which enemies are docile and which to avoid. XC1 and XCX both were great about giving clues as to which enemies it was okay to hang out with and which to skirt around.

Not only does XB2 not do this, but it seems higher enemies more freely will gently caress you up during random battles. Their aggro meter is jacked up to 11 and the lack of well placed fast travel markers makes trekking back to where you were a huge pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I have no idea why they didn't somehow indicate which enemies are aggro. You can sometimes guess (stuff like obvious grazing plant-eaters generally don't aggro), but usually it's just luck. Fortunately, unless you're dealing with things way higher level, you can generally just keep running without any risk of getting killed (or often even hit).

Dunno what you mean about the fast travel markers, though. I've generally found them to be pretty reasonably positioned, though you sometimes have to find the right ones first.

edit: Do other party members take advantage of stuff like cancelling driver arts? Because if they don't, it seems like the optimal role to have the player control for longer fights would be healer, since driver art cancels allow you to use arts at a much higher rate. You can use them almost non-stop as you switch between blades. If you had 3 blades with a healing art, you'd be popping out healing super fast.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 11, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, about how long are the later chapters? Assuming that the player does quite a few side quests (but not to a total-completionist extent). I'm near the end of chapter 5, but I'm kind of assuming later chapters will be shorter than the earlier ones.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I was opening a bunch of cores yesterday and got 2 rare blades for my trouble. One was polar bear girl and the other was a titty monster, both ice healers. I was previously having good luck with getting blades on the right characters (I previously rolled both Godfrey and Electra on the tank), but rolled both of these on an attacker. I overdrived the polar bear girl, though I have no idea if she's better than titty monster. I have one overdrive left, and from what I read it might be the last one available aside from the ones you supposedly can get from maxing rare blade affinity charts (which probably won't be possible until near the end of the game). I'm going to save it, since the only two blades I have that would need it are Perun (ice attacker) on the tank and the aforementioned titty monster. Everyone already has enough rates to fill their rosters and cover all elements (except light if I don't use Rex and earth if I don't use the Attacker).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

brand engager posted:

You can grind overdrives but it's real slow (fill out a 4-star's affinity chart and release it).

Is this confirmed? I saw someone mention it was a rumor, but maybe that's just in reference to maxing rare blade affinity? If true, it's nice to know; even though 4* are rare, it's at least some way to get more. I also don't anticipate needing more than 8 or so overdrives even in the worst case scenario. (As is I'm going through all this trouble to look up a list of rare blades and calculate the class with the highest chance of dropping and rolling on that character.)

It sucks either way. I guess on the upside you can still do a blade's quests and stuff even if they're not on a character of the matching class, and getting everyone a full party of rares of the appropriate classes that cover all elements is actually pretty easy, especially given the guaranteed quest rares.

Having healers on an attacker blade also isn't that bad, since the worst case result is moderately reduced damage temporarily in exchange for healing. Same also possibly goes for tanks on an attacker, as long as the "actual" tank is set up in such a way that you don't risk actually pulling aggro from them.

I wish characters could switch out their "starting" blades. It would make it easier to grind affinity, since I'll end up in situations where the "main" blade is maxed for the time being.

By the way, what do some of the unique blade skills do? Like Godfrey's, for example. Or Adenine's "extra-ancient wisdom." Do they just act as alternatives to other skills?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zoran posted:

Rex is a strong choice if he hasn’t gotten any other rare attackers. Otherwise, save it for 5.

[Late game blade mechanic spoiler] Rex can freely use any blade eventually, so it’s best to give him as few blades as possible. He always gets Pyra and Roc (plus a two-star wind healer with knuckles), so I like giving him Wulfric from the beastly core as his only other blade. This rounds out his set of attacker blades. Once you unlock Rex’s special ability to equip any blade, you can transfer Wulfric over to the fifth party member if you like.

Minor thing, but you'll still want to give him some non-rares, because there are skill checks before the point you mention and you can add up skills across characters and might need to throw a bunch of non-rares with, say, Forestry across your characters to meet some higher skill check.

I'm kind of curious what sort of different weapon skills characters get on blades outside their "intended" class.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bizarre deformity posted:

I JUST GOT NIM WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS WEIRD FURRY poo poo

This game is mostly amazing but then there's poo poo like NIM

Man, just wait until boob monster (if you happen to get her from the gacha). Her intro scene is completely ridiculous, with her Literally Watermelon Sized boobs just bouncing around. And to top things off, she has her own weird furry thing going on with (IIRC) her feet/lower legs.

edit: Here is her intro video, spoilered just in case someone considers a rare blade's appearance a spoiler:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLwAodWZQio

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just got some kick-rear end looking Dark Attacker puppet thing named Azami (after ~70 common cores). And fortunately she was bonded to an attacker.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

She got bonded to Nia for me. :negative: You can only have one of the unique portrait ones, right? No repeats, even among all Drivers?

Well, on the upside I looked at her affinity chart and it's not that good; she seems hyper-specialized for "do a poo poo ton of damage when at low health"; literally 3 of her affinity columns are the same "Increases damage dealt by 100% when HP is 30% or less" (the 100% is just the first row) with another being "The lower the HP of the Driver, the more powerful the Special." She also has a counter ability. Honestly, she seems sorta like a weird attacker that might be intended to be used on a tank or something? So it seems like she likely has the ability to do gently caress-off ridiculous damage, but only if you're at low health, which doesn't seem particularly worth it.

edit: On the upside, if you're particularly OCD apparently releasing rares allows you to re-acquire them (I've read at least a few accounts of people doing this successfully). So there's a reliable way to get everyone on the right characters if you really wanted to, though even if you wanted to do that it's probably best to wait until you have almost everything first (since hypothetically you could guarantee the class once down to only 1 or 2 remaining rare blades, and then guarantee which ever once you release after getting those).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 13, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sheba and Boreas are both pretty good simply by virtue of the fact that you can quickly and easily open all the rings of their affinity charts (and give Sheba three of her columns in the process). It's also pretty easy to fill out at least half of Boreas's columns, since they just require you to eat/drink a bunch of stuff (and it apparently counts even if you immediately switch out one food for another; you don't have to wait for it to expire first, just in case other people have the same misconception I originally had). Sheba's becomes really easy once you can get golden salvage cylinders and the money they generate. Sheba's "spit out gold during battles" and "picking up gold increases her damage up to 300%" abilities also seem really great for longer boss fights and what have you, since she would probably be able to reach the cap. Regarding filling out the charts, I was originally under the impression you just had to grind up Trust to open rings for all characters, so make sure your blades don't have some other condition you have to meet instead (for example, the bear girl requires you to see the Heart to Heart starting her quest chain to open her second ring, while Sheba/Boreas require storing money/food respectively in the Argentum warehouse).

Speaking of affinity charts, do they only reach those bonuses as you gain in-battle affinity? Or do they apply as long as the blade is out and in-battle affinity grants other bonuses? Also, does switching blades reset your in-battle affinity with blades you were previously using? I'm guessing no for that, since it would be dumb and discourage switching blades.

It's weird how this is one of very few (if any) games where I actually kind of enjoy grinding side content. It's satisfying to use the different blades and see their little quests. The inn mechanic also prevents you from inadvertently over-leveling and making story content easy.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 13, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Taear posted:

Thank you for this! It's been the case that if I have a high idea I've had a rare blade almost every time but I just wasn't sure if it was real or just a coincidence.
I wonder if it's better to have a decent mix - like 4 of each - or a single one super high? My Rex has a decent spread but Nia's Bravery is really high in comparison to his.

I wonder if the way it works is it first "rolls" for blade element and then checks your corresponding idea level to determine rarity chances. For example, it randomly determines that you'll get an Earth blade and then checks the idea corresponding with Earth element to determine your chance of various rarities. That seems like a pretty reasonable/plausible way for things to work, given what we know about ideas and elements + this information. I guess it's also possible that it both determines oyur chance of a specific element and your chance of a higher rarity with that element, but the former way seems like it would make more sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

The thing I'm always slightly miffed at is a party-based game where there's no real incentive to switch because the main character has ALL the fancy stuff.

While Rex is still probably objectively the best, different characters do have different skills on the same weapon types, so it's not like he can do literally all the exact same stuff as the other DPS. Also the other DPS seems to have weapon skills geared more towards ether attacks, which might be relevant somehow? Their stats also seem a good deal higher to start with even with the same gear, and their mandatory blade seems to have a good affinity map.

I like how Wulfric is a big softy who is upset about how his appearance/voice makes other people scared of him. I really wish Azami had a better affinity chart, because I love her character design.

In general I find it really easy to zone out and grind rare blades in this. It's satisfying for some reason, and the quests often being voiced and including cutscenes certainly helps.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ages spent rolling crap out of all kinds of Core Crystals, and suddenly I roll Dahlia, Zenobia and Azami about 10-15 crystals apart :eyepop:. Down to just trying to roll the last six Rares now after those three too.

I really like Azami's artwork, just wish her gothic derringer didn't turn into a standard Cannon the moment you upgraded it :sigh:. Ditto for the other Rare Blade's weapons, really.

edit: Regarding Zenobia; Do I need to go rekill those Unique Enemies to progress her chart, or will just having killed them already do the trick?

Yeah, Azami looks awesome, but her affinity chart is really bizarre and doesn't seem that good. I can't really think of a situation where it would be particularly good; like, if your DPS is at <30% health frequently enough for it to be worth it, things have probably gone terribly wrong. What I've done of her quest chain is pretty funny, though. (Speaking of funny quest chains, I really like Sheba's. Her JP voice acting is funny.)

voltcatfish posted:

I like them a lot, they're cute

The thing that bugs me about Rex and Pyra is that it's like (this honestly isn't really a spoiler since it shows up in Chapter 1, but spoiling just in case) some literally hundreds of years old woman having a romance with a 14 year old. Or rather that's literally what it is, I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you have to do those fights anyway, you can't skip them with the check it just makes you say something different

Speaking of skill checks, I wish that, for that one Electra side quest, you could fail the skill check and just kill that dude with the heart attack via electrocution.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

Did 4kids write half this dialogue.

I'm looking at what is clearly rice balls. Those are not dumplings.

They even reference salt, what the gently caress.

In the Japanese her name is Musubi. Which is another name for onigiri.

They should have made her English name "Dumpling" or "Potsticker" or something.

edit: Is her English voice acting as obnoxious as her Japanese, because her Japanese voice acting sounds like some hyper-exaggerated representation of a "wifely" character or something, it's hard to describe.

By the way, I get the impression her side quest is going to be a pain in the rear end, because through playing normally and reaching level 50 I haven't acquired enough materials to make even a single dumpling, and the first tier alone requires making 10.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 15, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

A good chunk of this game requires trawling websites for ingredient locations and poo poo, it's kinda lame. It was nothing like this in 1 and X.

Um, 1 was pretty fuckin awful in terms of collecting poo poo. At least this game has reliable locations, instead of being complete chance.

Though to be fair, 1's sidequests were also largely pointless, while the sidequests in this are often interesting enough that I feel compelled to actually do them.

edit: I bet Jin listens to Linkin Park.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hahahaha Azami owns. Doing her side quest and it basically consists of her creeping out all the other party members constantly while creepy music plays in the background.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think my favorite weapon type to use is ether cannons. It's fun to just shoot out these massive blasts that cause big numbers with Sheba.

Barudak posted:

You can talk with the kids again after the quest for one last dialog and they dont seem to care at all. In general, and maybe this changes later, everyone is super on board with otherizing the hell out of these slaves.

In general it's kind of weird how most of the time characters don't appropriately treat (includes spoiler from chapter 6) the memory loss as effectively the same as dying, because it basically is. Like, where I'm at the emperor just died (before being resurrected), which caused his blade to also return to its crystal. After the emperor is revived everyone is glad and no one seems to give a poo poo that his blade - who has probably been living with the emperor for most of his life - is basically dead.

Also (chapter 6 spoiler) why didn't Nia resurrect Vandham? I get that the emperor was the little brother of one of their party members, but Vandham was also a good guy. The only explanations I can think of are either 1. resurrecting him somehow cost her something or 2. you have to resurrect within a very short time of them dying, and the fight they were forced into after Vandham was killed took up too much time.

By the way, gently caress Ursula's side quest. I'm at like 54 of each of those god drat badges. Whose stupid loving idea was it to require you collect (apparently, according to the internet) 99 of each?

edit: I'm so tired of listening to her whiny voice (or at least her JP voice is whiny) as I send her on missions.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 20, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hahahah holy poo poo what is going on with Newt's character design. The whole giant arms and sword thing is cool, but her portrait image looks like a stripper pose.

I'm not sure why you'd use a fire element tank, though, given the required one is also fire. Maybe if the enemy is weak to fire the benefit from having 2+ fire blades on the same character would be greater than the benefit of having a greater variety of elements?

edit: I now have 6 gacha rare blades left to acquire (2 of which are the ones I particularly want, KOS-MOS and Zenobia). 4 of which are attackers and 2 healers, so I should have a 2/3 chance of getting them on the right character. If I somehow ever get all of them, I can then selectively release ones that aren't on the right person and open cores on the person with the "correct" corresponding role.

vvvv At least the level 4 quest doesn't involve any fighting. The level 5 one (which I'm doing now) has involved a level 58 enemy so far.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 20, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stage 4 of Tiger Tiger is some bullshit.

On the off-chance I somehow survive to the end, there's no way I can get back up. I have no idea how someone is supposed to get the "no damage" or "all treasure" trophies for this level.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Tiger Tiger is fine except for the red sharks that take three hits to kill.

Those loving sharks are not color-blind friendly. They look identical to the other 2-hit sharks to me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What is the point of the one field skill thing on Theosir that makes you jump and then takes you to a ladder with another field check to jump again? There doesn't seem to be anything at the top, and the second field check requires like 6 leap and 6 earth mastery, so you'd think there'd be something worthwhile up there.

Invenerable posted:

Just don't even worry about breaking that score on any level but the first one. If you get all 3 medals (full health, all crystals, all chests), you'll get a big ol' bonus and easily make the 50k. You don't even have to get the pacifist medal.

Full health and all chests are doable if I'm lucky and do well, but how the gently caress do you get all crystals? I don't have enough time to run from side to side and collect them while also killing/dodging enemies, etc.

IcePhoenix posted:

I haven't but I will do it right now, just for you.

At 9 stamps you unlock a mission that gives you two stamps as a reward instead of one.
At 75 (:lol:) you get one that gives you three stamps

So 9 + 33 + 8 = 50 quests

...times three for 150 total just to get the stamps. There are other merc missions as well I believe for concerts and stuff.

But 1500 minutes of merc missions (I'm assuming that any time you save with field skills are cancelled out by the time between them finishing and you sending them back out again). For only the stamps. Which is 25 hours.

God help me I'm actually doing this, too. Currently at 15/15/13 :suicide:

I just unlocked the 3 stamp missions at 75. But I can't do one of them (it requires 3 electric and 3 ether cannons, which means you need at least one electric ether cannon, which I don't have) and another requires me include a party member I would prefer to use for combat.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 21, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding tanks, it seems like Tora is just objectively superior, but I still prefer using Four just due to having more variety with blades. Thanks to all the missions I've sent Ursula on for her dumb side quest, I've acquired a poo poo ton of weapon skill manuals (from maxing affinity charts) and managed to upgrade her whip swords to Max/4/4 (along with getting everyone else to a mix of level 4 and 3 for their weapons).

What determines how many points you earn for filling out character affinity charts? I read somewhere that filling them gives overdrives? If so, I might have enough overdrives between those and the "default"/DLC ones to get everyone on the right drivers without having to do any releasing funny business.

Pollyanna posted:

edit: What's Zeke's deal as a character? Am I supposed to put all the slow Attackers on him (axes, hammers, etc.)? Or is he more of a dex build?

From what I can tell, he seems to have more ether-based arts. Other than that, the only real difference is with his "locked" blade.

Speaking of that (very minor spoilers related to blade names/users, but spoilered just in case) the heart to heart with Brighid and Dromarch teasing Pandoria about Zeke was cute.

If not for the Pandoria/Zeke romance, I would have advocated pairing up Morag and Zeke. They seem closer in age and the personality contrast would be interesting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 21, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zoran posted:

Filling out affinity charts gives you weapons manuals, with the quality increasing with the blade's rarity (number of crowns). Releasing blades gives you boosters, the quantity and type of which depend on the blade's type and how much of the affinity chart you've filled. The exception is for four-crown blades (not five) with completed affinity charts: releasing those gives you one overdrive protocol and nothing else.

No, I mean character affinity charts. Which I guess aren't called affinity charts maybe. But those things Rex (etc) have that look like affinity charts.

By the way, what is the difference between the blade affinity chart things with the sword and up arrow and the yellow ones with some other symbol? I imagine the ones with the sword are the ones your blade applies to you sometimes during combat. Are the yellow ones always active (or increase in efficacy based on in-battle affinity)?

edit: I initially thought everything was active all the time, until I noticed that Sheba wasn't always making enemies drop money during combat.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 21, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What does luck effect? I heard something about it effecting blade drop-rates? Does it do anything in combat?

Also, is there any point to getting Boreas's final "Fleet of Foot" skill other than completing his affinity chart? I already finished his side quest, and it didn't require it.

edit: Regarding Vess (sidequest spoilers), I remember a while back someone in this thread mentioned being confused at her "children" not caring much. They actually show up at the house in a later side quest. It was actually pretty sweet; they were really happy to see Vess and Vess made them some musubi and they said she was always welcome there. Vess also expressed some feeling of recognition at the house, which was kind of weird given other blades have been completely oblivious to their memories (like Roc with the mercenaries).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, though I don't think merc missions ever require more than level 1 in a skill?

Oh, one other comment - Pandoria's voice with the whole kansai dialect (with JP voices obviously) is really cute. Both her and Zeke use kansai dialect. Do they have any kind of noticeable accent in the English?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ The location names were originally things like Superbia (Mor Ordain), Invidia (Uraya), Arcadia (Indol), Luxuria (Tantal), etc. Though I guess whether that's better or not is up to personal preference.

Blackfish posted:

Zeke has a posh British accent, I think she does as well.

Hahaha, that is not a very good equivalent for kansai dialect. Then again, it's hard to come up with much of an equivalent, though it would definitely be something more "unsophisticated." The best equivalent I can think of in the context of America is some sort of weird hybrid of a Brooklyn accent, Boston accent, and Southern accent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh, by the way, the one real reason to get your mercenaries to level 5 is that I think it is required to unlock Roc's 5th affinity bar. But I think that's the only significant thing you get out of it, so if you're not using Roc it's not really necessary (though I find Roc to be quiet good as DPS).

Pollyanna posted:

Hey, they're not wrong. This game does a lot of backwards-rear end things.

Also, what's the point of relying on common blades for skills in merc missions? You're often lucky to get one of each bonus skill if you're doing all commons. Rare blades are better in pretty much every single department, and the time spent on growing 3-4 star commons is better spent on rares.

Also, what's everybody's least favorite part of growing Blades? Mine is the "kill X enemy" one, because it's boring and they don't even give you a bestiary.

You end up with a zillion merc missions and the ability to send out 3 teams at once (and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have enough rares for my party if I sent 18 out on merc missions), and most of the skills they require can be found on commons. Also, filling out common affinity charts (which starts to happen fairly frequently as you send them on merc missions) gives you a poo poo ton of weapon skill points (I think I've gotten most of mine that way). It would also actually be really difficult to meet some of the criteria using just rare blades, since they often require, say, 3 of a certain element, and there's a good chance you don't have 3 fire element rare blades you aren't already using in your party.

Commons are also honestly pretty necessary for field skill checks, since some will more or less require that you switch out most of your blades for ones of the same element (like Electra's side quest where you need 10 Electric Mastery for at least one part).

Regarding annoying stuff, like affinity charts not filling up until you check the menu or the annoying way the skip travel map works, even though I acknowledge that they're objectively dumb and bad I just don't give a poo poo for some reason. Like, I just don't really mind wasting the extra couple seconds doing those things. I would rather not have to do them, but it doesn't really impact my overall enjoyment of the game.

I think the only thing that has actually had a negative impact on my enjoyment of the game is Ursula's side quest and the fact that you have to tediously select your team every single time. Having to send her out against every 7-8 minutes actually negatively impacts my enjoyment of other game activities. While I could always just not do that quest, there's a sunk cost at this point (I'm at like 80/80/80 of her badges).

edit: The merc mission interface simply wasn't designed for repeatedly sending out the same teams over and over every <10 minutes. It works okay for the missions that take an hour+.

vvvv Sunk cost, since I didn't find out you needed so many badges until already getting a whole bunch of them. I'm also not seriously complaining in a "and therefore I don't like the game" sort of way. I'm finally in the home stretch now, but it's just such a bizarre decision, especially given the relatively reasonable nature of most of the other blade side quests (except Vess's, which is also pretty dumb and grindy, though at least hers isn't required to unlock her 5th affinity ring).

(I would also prefer to use her as an ice healer blade to the titty rabbit)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just remembered one other possible gameplay issue I wanted to mention. It seems like skills that benefit from position (like being behind or to the side of the enemy) do not work well with the cancelling out of driver arts. When you're using driver arts back to back, you don't really have a chance to reposition yourself, but I'm not really sure if the benefit from being in the right position is enough to outweigh the benefit from getting more skills off and charging your special more.

Five is a good example of this, since he has skills that benefit from both side and back attacks on the same weapons.

edit: btw, from repeatedly doing Ursula's merc missions I've become well acquainted with the fact that her portrait's feet look really hosed up. Those are not normally shaped feet.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 21, 2017