Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, this isn't from a game I'm playing (it's from an MP game on Youtube), but this is pretty silly.

It's turn 9. Just some random province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ahahaha, what the hell. As Pan, just had a random event happen in a province - not even one in/adjacent to my dominion or provinces - that attacked it with a bunch of Maenads led by a couple dryads. Killed the PD that was there and put it under my control.

If this was an actual MP game, that wouldn't count as an NAP break, right? Hell, do any other nations even have events like that?

edit: Next turn the same province genned a similar event, swapping Dom control and genning a bunch more maenads and dryads. That's 880g worth of free mages in two turns - sure, I need to actually get them back to my own territory, but still.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 28, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Decrepus posted:

As Pan you should have already had hellwar declared upon you by every neighbor, or you should use that event as an opportunity to launch your sneak attacks that are already in the rest of that guys provs already

It was an AI game because I was just testing some stuff, so diplomacy was wholly irrelevant. I just rarely play a Pan, so hadn't seen an event like that before. And in this particular case it wouldn't have mattered if it was an actual MP game, because the event spawned on the opposite side of a large lake, like 6 provinces away from my closest territory (that didn't involve going through the water).

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Dryads can sneak. Maenads are maenads so who cares if you just abandon them there.

I'm aware? I was referring to the sneaking transit time, which was considerable. Doesn't take away from being a massive windfall, but it still takes a a lot of time to get them somewhere useful.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Has the Skaven mod actually been finished/fixed? Glancing at it on the mod page, the last post has it as both incomplete and somewhat broken (in terms of stuff being very much undercosted - particularly their unique pretenders). Like, it mentions the Seerlord literally costs 0.

Or was absurd poo poo like that just ignored in favor of everyone just seeing what happened with a bunch of likely unbalanced mods smashed together?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TravelLog posted:

Are you using the full warhammer mod rather than the break out?

I also posted a bug fix file in the thread.

Not using either, just glanced at the dominionsmods page and was skimming the mods used in the game. A lot of absurd poo poo so I didn't necessarily think one more thing like that would necessarily be out of line - and goons have been known to fix stuff like that for modded games in IRC/Discord links in the past anyways, even if there's an issue with the base mod.

In this case, if there's a different version of Skaven posted in the Warhammer Complete mod thread then I didn't see it since I was looking at the actual Skaven thread.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, found this amusing little issue in the current release of the Warhammer Complete mod (which I believe goons have at least partially worked on?)

:v:

Not QUITE at bad as it looks, since that massive Inept Researcher penalty means you're not getting free researchers, but still a fairly good thug chassis, communion slave, fast moving ritualist or temple/lab builder for free each turn you don't need something else. This is the Tzeentch one specifically, whereas both the Nurgle and Slaanesh ones seem to be priced and working correctly, so it looks like it should probably be ~80-110 gold or so going by the other two.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, just skimming the "Create Pretender God" section for the new nations, and some interesting things are immediately apparent.

Ind has precisely NO 1 Dominion pretenders available, so rainbows are generally going to be out. Admittedly, this is probably just as well since one of their nation features is Dominion Conflict -2. Another interesting feature is that they've got 4 cap sites, and they all do something. One slows down aging by 50%, one allows entry for combat training, one allows scrying... and the final one just flat out MAXIMIZES Order scales for your capital. Which might cause fairly interesting scale building decisions, given they've also got some free troop acquisition in turmoil scales outside forts.

On the other hand, while Na'Ba does have access to the normal 1 Dominion pretenders, it's also got access to some ludicrously cheap new 4 Dominion chassi. As in 100 points for your selection of either 2E1S, 1A2E, or 1F2E on a fairly typical immobile chassis. As far as the nation goes, hilariously all their camel riders come with a flying add-on (1d3 for the commander version, 1 each per troop), which I imagine could potentially cause comedic mage scripting issues depending on where they land. In regards to sites, similarly to Ind 2/3 of their cap sites have some effect - one's just a flat out "Brings 100gp a turn," while the other increases Growth scales.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 27, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ehhh, I'm going to disagree on Piconeye scholars being particularly worthwhile. Any province you can recruit them, you can also just recruit your national Abbot Sages (exact same research points), and there's only a 30gp difference between them... except the Sages are sacred, and thus cost less upkeep (plus the bonus of Fortune Teller too). Also, E1 just seems far less useful overall than S1(+H2) given neither have a chance of additional paths. Everything else seems fairly on-point - the Cynocephalian recruits in particular are absolutely absurd given what the nation already natively gets.

Regarding Baculites, their only issue is that their Prot is absolutely terrible, unlike their Ulmish counterpart, so they're fairly easily killed by most things too - possibly before they can start mulching sacreds. Of course, that partially depends on what your bless is.

And speaking of blesses, as could be expected Thunder Weapons is pretty hilarious when you've got sacred archers that you can recruit in absolutely huge numbers.

edit: Hell, Air on your pretender isn't a bad idea regardless of what you want for a bless, since it's literally the only path Ind doesn't get native or foreign access to.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 30, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, the Magog Mothers need at the very least an increase to 4 recruitment points ASAP. 2 recruit points for a 5 path recruit-any-highland/mountain/cave province is just insane, given plenty of MA nations' StR cap mages don't even get that many. That's not even looking at what the paths actually are... and given they've natively got the insanely powerful blood/death crosspath just makes it worse. Their negative traits do not in any way outweigh their slew of upsides.

That they're also an absurdly cheap 225gp just makes it worse.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, I'm sure there's worse among mod nations, but "+1 to all magic including holy" at Con4 for a whole 15 gems is certainly up there in terms of absurd bullshit.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Congratulations on the win!
Is it normal to have a pretender with such a low Dominion score? Yours is 6 and I thought 7 was considered the minimum "safe". Or is that a Dom 3/4 thing?
You mentioned winning the tie by dominion. I guess that means candles on the map?

The way dom score works in 5 (and later on in 4) is that the formula for expansion is is 50 + (5 x dom score)%. So even a score of 4 is a 70% chance of a successful expansion, and can be increased over time in the game (every 5 temples you have boosts your dom score by 1). And on the upper end, higher scores have a dropoff in relative worth too since it's only 5% per.

The reason why low dom score was considered suicidal in 3 (and for a while in 4) is that the formula used to be (10 x dom score)%. So in that situation, a low dom score was incredibly chancy because you'd have a greater than even chance of not getting any expansion, and conversely a high dom score was worth even more since it was 10% per point. There are still reasons you might want a high score, even aside from sacred numbers, because various nation features look at strength of dominion, but anyone who doesn't need sacreds or something nation-specific is pretty safe going in with a dom score in the 4-6 range pretty safely.

PurpleXVI posted:

If your strategy depends in part on Gift of Health, Vengeful Waters or oodles of sacreds, your domscore also starts taking on greater importance.

Even for that first part you're going to want a fair number of temples to push as many temple checks as possible, and every 5 you have removes the relevance of yet another initial point.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So briefly glancing at the new nation, one of their cap sites has an interesting new effect.

In total they've got five cap sites, but three of them are listed as "This site is not available from the start, but might appear later on," and do include unit unlocks. Two of them also produce gems, so they're only producing 5 gems a turn prior to them appearing, rather than the EA default 6, but jump up to 7 after.

edit: One of those unlocked units costs SIX commander points.

Random is AES, with an additional 10% chance for FAES.

They've also got a 340 gold spy with Corrupter and magic paths.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 2, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I've never seen the Corruptor attribute be anything but a much shittier version of Seduction because of its absolutely terrible TN.

Good news, they've got a recruitable seducer too for far less. :v:

You're really paying the 340 for the fact it's a 5 path mage on an okay chassis that is your only recruitable source of Blood (F2A2 + FAEB). That it can spy and corrupt in its spare time are just add-ons that drive up the cost. It also has Unseen so actually patrolling it out is hell for many nations - the seducer doesn't.

I say recruitable because they've got a D2B3 hero with innate blood searcher(1) as well. Along with a summon.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alright, this was pretty funny.

This was just a random Enchanted Forests attack, but the Ivy Lord decided to start spamming Charm and one stuck.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Imagine thinking Jomon is the weakest LA nation when Dreamlands is right there. :v:

Jomon at least has Ryuujin if you can get into the water, plus recuitable assassins and troops that take buffs decently. LA R'lyeh? Hope you like your lovely aquatic freespawn that COST UPKEEP to go along with your gold economy with popkill dominion, and the same diplomatic malus as Lemuria (aka, everyone hates you) with none of the intimidation.

And yeah, MA Ulm is by far the best nation for learning the game. It can certainly teach bad habits too, but for just learning the basic mechanics it's extremely simple and straightforward. Generally I'd steer clear of LA in particular due to how Blood-heavy that era as a whole is (+Lemuria, who's even worse in a different manner). Even those nations that don't have Blood themselves are generally going to need to learn how to deal with it in order to counter.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I wouldn't really say a big rewrite, as a lot of the new nations are either easy fill-ins (Phaecia just being a Berytos continuation + some Mekone, or Vaettiheim's lore connection being already on there), completely new chains you can mostly put wherever (Mekone/Phlegra/Phlegra and Ubar/Na'Ba), or a certain nation that comes out of literally nowhere, and then vanishes there again with no connection to anything else (Ind).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, found this fairly amusing LA modnation, which is a clear homage to old sci fi B movies.

I'm not sure how viable they'd be in an actual MP game (let alone a modnation power level one), because there are definitely issues, but they're at least amusing to look through. For one, they literally cannot start expanding until Turn 3 in any way, shape or form - on Turn 1 you've got zero troops, zero treasury, and 500 unrest (and you're mandated to take a dormant/imprisoned god). And for the second, you now have troops and a treasury and your unrest is reset to 0 (so you're basically starting on Turn 2 instead of 1) but you're under siege.

And while their troops do have their good points, there are issues. Like their basic ranged troops have blaster rifles, which are 45 range, 15 magic AP damage weapons... but the troops themselves are Precision 4. Also absolutely 0 native Air access, so you're not Wind Guiding them into accuracy either (bar a lucky indie mage find). And while their melee troops mostly have decent protection and weaponry, they've also got Morale 9. Just about everything does resist fire/shock 5, and poison 30 though (and have Poison Cloud 3), so there are definitely plusses there. And the sacreds are expensive but pretty decent. The elephants are the Raghan ones (so 18 prot), and are basically a "on the wrong set" gag in the flavor text.

Mainly just seeing them as VERY vulnerable to rushes due to that start delay. The mod is still in beta though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On the topic of the Uuo sites, it really cannot be emphasized enough that, given some time (and once Ecomorphosis goes up, it's really not that much), they're getting 2 extra gems out of every single province they own - absolutely no effort required. Given that one of those is a pearl, and how cheap Strange Bedfellows is, transferring over from worms to the powerful stuff coming out of that spell isn't particularly difficult either.

Also of note, 25% of the Spirit of Points you get should be S4... with a hand, head, and 4 misc. slots. So yeah, that's a Skullcap, 2 Rings and a Coin, with space for pen gear as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, Lucid decided to do a SP video of TNN (at someone's request) in the last few days, and it features one of the most "That's Dominions!" moments I think I've ever seen.

Namely, he ended up with a Lamia province in his cap circle. Super rare to begin with, but it got better when he tried to take it - one of the two Queens had Fenris' Pelt. For easy reference, that's a Con 8 artifact that auto-casts Howl at the start of combat (along with berserking its wearer). Given it was a forest province... yeah, the entire group of sacreds got absolutely swamped with wolves and eventually died. Looked like ~10+ Tuatha with leader, and a not insignificant survival bless - Swiftness x2, Defense x2, Reinvig x2, Blood Surge.

Someone's reaction to something that bullshit in an actual MP game would have been amazing.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Defense isn't the problem there, it's the protection. 9 Defense is going to accomplish basically nothing if you're solo expanding against practically anything, so you've got to increase that Prot so you just plain don't care about incoming hits. And 23 Prot is really not enough. That it's barbarians, who are one of the pop types you've got to be super careful solo expanding into, just makes it worse.

Seriously, they do 21 damage on a hit - 23 Prot is going to accomplish absolutely nothing against a swarm of them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Played around with the Metal Slug mod last night - specifically the gimmick faction - and noticed two things. One, my very first expansion was extremely Dominions in that I had the soldiers on "Attack Cavalry" and, instead of shooting the ~18 Heavy Cavalry barreling down on them, they ran forward to shoot at the commanders in the back. Needless to say, expansion was set back a bit.

Two, and more generally useful, they get a unique global at Cons 8... and it stands a very good chance of bankrupting you in short order - was seeing my upkeep jump by like 300/400 a turn. It certainly gives good stuff, but given none of it is sacred (and so will cheerfully potentially leave if you do go negative money) you kind of have to be very careful with it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

LukasR23 posted:

Was it giving you actual troopers, or just mages and commanders?

Declare Hostilities is one of those things I need to properly test at some point. Probably soon.

Just a Regular Army Commander and Drill Instructor at every (labbed) fort each turn. The version of the spell I have doesn't mention any troop generation though, so that didn't seem like a bug.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Had a good Baron game going, then some idiot opened a portal to Inferno not too far off. Actually wandered over to see it it was reasonable to close it, and saw 50+ units on top of it - mostly Demon Knights and Hellhounds with a Greater Devil. Yeah, that's not happening.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Haha, played a Warlock game, got up to summoning the Elemental royalty. Obviously I didn't have to, but I have no clue how you're supposed to stop them bar the possible "have your entire force completely immune to their element." Because they're so high level mages, they'll just spam their top tier battlefield-wide (or might as well be bursts) spells repeatedly until everything's dead. That fire and air are ethereal along with high HP means they just casually ignore swarms of siege engines too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Any faction that can tunnel through dirt in Agartha can potentially access Hell, Hades and the Void so Warlock and Pale Ones are good there. Dwarfs can also get some trans-planar mobility at higher ritual levels.

e. I haven't figured out how to get to to the Celestial, Primal and Atzlan planes yet.

For the Elemental planes, there are various spells which will move you there - they start showing up at high levels of the relevant magic type. Playing Warlock's a good way to find all of them, but pretty sure some other casters can access them as well.

Atzlan almost certainly involves playing the Priest King.

For the Celestial, play as El and proceed to break all 7 seals. A portal to the Celestial Plane will open shortly thereafter. Of course, a portal to Hell will also open the turn you break the seventh along with random Hell dweller stacks dropping all over the world, and opening preceding seals will have dumped all four Horsemen of the Apocalypse on the world, but it will indeed give you a way onto the Celestial Plane. Now just have fun getting through the swarm of Archangel and Seraph stacks beelining for the portal (not innately hostile to you, but you can't safely move through them). There's probably some other way up there, but that's just what I discovered offhand.

Why yes, I may have just gotten done breaking the Seventh Seal to see what happened, why do you ask? :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Siege Tunneling is mostly Pale Ones though (at least outside summons), and Pale Ones can also just stack Ancient Stone Hurlers. Who needs Siege Tunneling when your battery of ten Stone Hurlers throws a ludicrous number of boulders at any fortified location before the battle even starts? And then, if everything isn't already dead, proceed to start advancing to throw their highly damaging normal ranged attack at anything that survives.

edit: Haha, I think this is the worst start I have ever seen.

To be clear, that's a stack of 6 full size Fire Elementals.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 20, 2021

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What golems are people finding particularly useful anyways? Flesh Golems seem really useful given they're so cheap and heal normally, and with their still fairly cheap upgrade they're very tough and still manage to do decent damage. Similarly, Clay Golems regenning makes them really useful to just wall everything off and never have to replace them. Meanwhile, Wood/Oak Golems are kind of just there - yeah, I'll build them to nuke forests and Ancient Forests, but they feel like just a waste of space if you have other options.

Of the higher tier stuff, Crystal Golems are goddamn horrifying since anything they kill in melee they turn into those mini immobile crystals, but all the various rock/metal golems seem just okay. Some decent tricks, but generally much less damage compared to how much space they take up. Though admittedly I haven't seen a Gold Golem yet.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, there's worse things that come online much earlier, so if we're getting rid of just lovely spells that are way too powerful and have little counter then Black Death is pretty far down the line.

Like, if you're playing a nation with no native N access and can't find any, what the hell are you supposed to do about Foul Vapors? A single loving spell that's basically warped the entire meta around it such that 10-15 poison resist on your bless is extremely common for most nations that can reasonably run sacreds is not a good spell for the game state.

Morale plays are another issue that shut down a huge amount of possible late game strategies. Wailing Winds is problematic on its own, but when it can be comboed with Dark Clouds you might as well just write off anything that's not undead or unbreakable for attacking them. Or combine Dark Clouds with Charm/Seduction spam to just basically auto-win the checks.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Unless they've got blood sac, in which case they can start massively raising their dom within their territory, and even start pushing it into yours. And would you look at that, there's a nation with both blood sac and major seducer access... No native A access, but that can be fixed with a pretender or just doing it the hard way (Thaum 7 does give you plenty of time to come up with something).

As for Foul Vapors, without undead spam they just use a sacred frontline who've got Poison Resist on the offensive. On the defense, setting up PD traps with a Foul Vapors caster behind means you really don't have to care about the "losses" since they'll just be automatically replaced. Alternatively just use freespawn chaff you really don't care about.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

What's your starting dominion strength, aside from that? Because if you went for like, a build with only 2 candles of dom strength, and the AI went for the more standard of 4 or 5, that means they succeed on more "candle rolls" and over time they'll potentially grind you down(and every five temples increases your dominion "strength" by one candle).

Honestly, the AI seems to absolutely love taking 9-10 Dom strength on their pretender (they get a LOT of bonus build points to play with), and then build plenty of temples as well, so yeah if you've built practically no temples yourself then getting domkilled is definitely possible regardless of your starting score. It's generally more essential to build temples in single player than multi if it's a decently sized map, simply because most human players won't go for starting incredibly high dominion or temple spam (certain nations excepted) because it's a waste of resources that could be better used elsewhere. Just beware of blood saccing Pan players controlling Dark Skies.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

My Dom 5 newbie win was legitimate in the sense that there were multiple players still submitting turns, and it was a "You win" message, but it was an incredibly silly win. It was a reduced size new player game, so the host decided to set Cataclysm earlier too - specifically to Turn 55, which in retrospect was way too early. People may already see what's coming, but basically, when Turn 55 rolled around there were 3 players (including myself) with good positions and multiple thrones, but none of us remotely had the research or mapstate ready for really doing much after Cataclysm hit. Resulting in me being the lucky one who didn't have a Doom Horror land on their throne and eat it, thus "winning" the game.

Seriously though, this is Dominions. Any game where you're the last one standing - regardless of whether it's an actual Throne win or you've just mentally outlasted everyone else - is a reasonable win.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 27, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you find an entry to one of the elemental subplanes, can successfully get through it, and can beat the wheel guardians at the other portal gate, you can potentially take control of the Elemental Nexus, which is a really good citadel that gives access to some pretty rad troops. High Cultist can sometimes luck into it too if they have a void-sanity commander fall into the Void, but at that point you're more likely to get eaten by the King in Yellow or something.

e: hey the discord link in the OP seems to be expired. Where do I go to know nothing about this game? Does the official discord still suck?

The problem is that if you do have an army you can do this with, that same army probably could have just wiped out everyone else on the main plane and won the game. It's superfluous not in that there's not cool stuff to see and do, but in that the amount of effort required to reasonably clear the alternate planes is so much higher than on Elysium/Sky/Agartha that there's just no point to it other than screwing around. Which admittedly can be fun (i.e. ignore the set win conditions, instead I'm going to invade Hell), but doesn't make it any less irrelevant to the theoretical normal gameflow.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Also, I know several people here witnessed these spoilers (or even actively participated in them) but for the rest:

-Bark/Stone/Iron spells are less effective for units that rely on armor.

Aside from all the other fascinating unknowns, I'm also curious about this one given natural protection on top of armor already doesn't scale linearly - i.e. Armor of Knights + Ironskin only gets you to ~Prot 31/32, not 43. So did they just make the natural/armor prot stacking even less efficient, or is this something else?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh lalah, you can see magical paths in the pretender screen! what a luxury

More than just magic paths, there's scales on some of those Pretenders. Presumably those are the ones with permanent shifts to the maximum scale value.

edit: I'm liking the new PG that looks like it's just (judging by the paths) a random hot spring people decided to worship.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 22, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Off the cuff, Zhayedans seem like they kind of got screwed. Having to go Dom 9 to get a whole 3 a turn seems extremely excessive (Dom 10 if you actually want a commander too), particularly given that by forcing that you're also already reducing their power since the player needs to scrape up the points for Dom 9 from somewhere else. It's not like there wasn't already a sharp practical limit on their recruitment due to their extremely high gold/rec point/resource cost.

Will wait and see how this interacts with all the other changes of course, but if they really are going to do this multi holy point thing and the rest of how sacred recruitment works is mostly the same, I just really don't think anything should have gone over 2.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Some other misc changes:
-poor amphibian att/def penalties are reduced to -2/-1
-Bark/Stone/Iron spells are slightly less effective for units that rely on armor. Details:
Barkskin: +7 nat prot up to 10, +1 if 9 or higher. (Dom5: nat prot 10, +1 if already 10 or higher)
Stoneskin: +10 up to 15, +3 if 12 or higher. (Dom5: nat prot 15, +2 if already 14 or higher)
Ironskin: +13 up to 20, +5 if 15 or higher. (Dom5: nat prot 20, +3 if already 18 or higher)

Okay, so similar to what I was thinking, but it's actually just less effective for anything with low natural prot, armor or no. Relevant because Stone/Ironskin are actually MORE effective for anything with very high base natural armor, who can then also potentially wear armor and actually have better prot then currently. Thinking stuff like Basalt Kings here, which are sitting in the spot where gaining +5 nat prot actually pushes them up above 20 but are perfectly capable of wearing armor on top of that. Marble Oracles as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Genuinely curious if/how Asphodel and Dreamlands have been tweaked this time around. Those are probably the two biggest problem children in terms of "probably really want significant changes."

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

-Legions of Steel has been split in three versions of it, with different amount of power. Level 2 Temper Armors with AoE5. Level 4 Soldiers of Steel (AoE 25?). LoS is level 6, E4 1 gem, still 100% aoe.

This is interesting, because the mapwide version of +armor was missing before. Previously Legions WAS the new Soldiers version (if Cons 3 rather than 4). Its lack always did feel a bit odd, since there's mapwide versions of most other forms of protection.

Turin Turambar posted:

-Blood isn't part of sorcery anymore, so some sorcery boosters won't boost blood.

Isn't this literally only the Ring of Sorcery in terms of forgeable items? And only the unique Robe of the Sorceress in terms of findable ones? It's an interesting change, making Blood its own thing, but really doesn't seem to change much mechanically. It's certainly possible they'll add new spells that only affect the sorcerous paths though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Libluini posted:

There's also the Ring of Wizardry and the Ring of the Magi, both of which boost both sorcery and elemental magic. Though of course, this doesn't prevent the possibility that the devs just decide to make those two items into generic "everything goes"-items that just flat-out boost every path.

I wasn't counting those items because they both mention boosting all magic paths in their text, rather than making a distinction in what paths - or subset of paths - they boost (though admittedly they both skip Holy, but that path has always been an oddity). Hell, Robe of the Magi requires A5B5 to even make, so it not boosting blood would be very strange.

As mentioned though, it's not like anyone really used the super expensive astral rings specifically to boost blood anyways - it's a nice bonus if you happen to have them sitting around, but it's a lot cheaper to just empower with slaves to a reasonable level, and then use more slaves for the blood specific items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In fairness, for the Ubar/Na'Ba line the lack of an LA nation is probably more just down to illwinter not coming up with one yet. They were some of the most recently released nations, after all. Unless there's been new lore somewhere saying they were wiped out, there's kind of a fairly conspicuous lack of a desert themed LA nation, aside from LA C'tis, that an LA extension of those two that's now even more focused on humans would fit neatly into.