Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.
I hadnt read the previous thread, but i did read all of this one and am kinda encouraged but also kinda disappointed that the biggest Take here is just "DA:O/2/I was a bad game" because thats pretty understandable, they all have both flaws and good points and i can see why any one might not land with someone. I personally enjoyed them all, some unreasonably (DA:O) and some with major caveats (DA2).

But i think the best Take ive ever heard was when a friend said to me "I'm really disappointed that Bioware would stoop to making an anti-immigration allegory like the Darkspawn. Theyre so good at LGBT, why would they fail so bad at race like this?"

They wouldn't back off that position, just got madder and madder about it, until i told them originally the Darkspawn weren't even supposed to be a thing at all, iirc they were added so you had at least one enemy that everyone agreed was bad.

Anyone else hear any nuclear DA takes like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lysistrata posted:

But i think the best Take ive ever heard was when a friend said to me "I'm really disappointed that Bioware would stoop to making an anti-immigration allegory like the Darkspawn. Theyre so good at LGBT, why would they fail so bad at race like this?"
:crossarms: I’m going to need some explaining about why Darkspawn are immigrants. Or is this a variation on “chaotic evil races are problematic”.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Everything is problematic if you squint hard enough

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Did your friend not play DA2, the game where the player is literally an immigrant?

Hell, I can even see a negative interpretation for that, since Hawks immediately turns to crime and then becomes nouveau riche

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Man I hate it when every so often an archdemon leads creatures from the underground to kill everyone take our jerbs

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

By the end of Trespasser there's two main Magic institutions regardless of if you do CotJ or IHW: Vivienne's reformed Circle and the Mage Rebellion's College of Enchanters, and they're both vying for influence and power over the other

Imo, I like IHW and fighting the Red Templars as the main force because the Templars have always been a monstrous organization and now the mask is off

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 8, 2021

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I like the Red Templars because Samson's superpowers and qualifications as a leader are that he does, like, A LOT of drugs.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

Raygereio posted:

:crossarms: I’m going to need some explaining about why Darkspawn are immigrants. Or is this a variation on “chaotic evil races are problematic”.

I think it was along the lines of "any portrayal of ravaging forces attacking a white/western culture is allegorically equivalent to white/western cultures view of POC immigrants and cultures"

Imo they were trying to be Deep and just went a bit far with it. It was kinda cute. Babby's first subtext. :3:

Fruits of the sea posted:

Did your friend not play DA2, the game where the player is literally an immigrant?

No they did not. They played DA:O on my recc and hadnt gotten that far yet. Tbf, this was an activist-ish zoomer and while they have a good heart, they can get some weird ideas. They did love DA:O, btw, i think they just got carried away in an attempt to be insightful.

Still, :lmao:

Anyone else ever hear a galaxybrain take like that?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Floaty bow person is probably the protagonist:

https://twitter.com/ChristianDailey/status/1347380810093977601?s=20

Is Mark working on the game or not?
https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/1347433309224067073?s=20

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Rookersh posted:

The problem is that isn't what happens according to Trespasser.

If you go IHW, it's made fairly clear the Nobles/Chantry is up in arms about the Mages, and there are demands to reform the Templar Order. The situation is extremely dicey and in basically all Divine situations seems to be heading for a second Mage/Chantry war, as the new Templars will just be the old Templars. The only exception is Leliana, who all but says "yolo, gimme a war then.".

If you go CotJ, Barris reforms the order wholly. He goes through the ranks and removes all those unfit to serve. He overhauls the basis of what/who they serve. He also works to reform the Chantry from within to be an organization that can actually serve. He fixes the structural rot that caused not just the Templars but also the Seekers to fall. There's mentions of Templar teachers in the new Colleges, and Templar recruits going through magical study alongside Mages to better understand who/what they are serving. The Templars as an organization are all but dissolved, replaced with a new organization that can handle protecting Mages, rather then "guarding" them. All three CotJ endings mention the Mages/Templars are getting together well for the first time ever and Mages are being given further and further freedom.

Firing all the cops and then hiring a new batch of cops doesn't fix the cops, especially if the government above them isn't changed. As soon as the Inquisition steps from power, it'll be a bloodbath as the Templars just get remade and they get capstoned again. Which is exactly what happens in Trespasser. But by reforming the Templars/Chantry while the Inquisition is in power, even after you leave things are largely fixed.
Might be but I´m all for letting the Templars get themselves murked instead of sacrificing an entire generation of Mages to old Cory in order for the "reform" ending to take place. The only bad thing is that you can´t nix Viviennes grab for power while she is still under your roof.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

is it bad that my immediate impression was "this is the most generic fantasy armor i've ever seen?"

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Great, we're going back to triangular armour on everything because it's easier to render.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think it's all supposed to evoke the sharp "V" silhouette design of "Venatori."

Though that is...pretty on-the-nose. Maybe a bit too on-the-nose. :sweatdrop:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Christ, do I hate weapon designs like that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I actually kinda like the armour and bow design (such as it is) because I have the feeling they're going to push the magic angle very hard in Tevinter, as appropriate. I was a bit worried they were going to go with classical Roman everything or, maybe if they were a bit more inspired, Byzantine influences, but magicpunk is a lot more unique and would be refreshing to visit as a dragon age setting.

I also feel like there's some anthem and dishonored vibes in the teaser they've shown (art direction wise)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vichan posted:

Christ, do I hate weapon designs like that.

Agreed.

This looks like a Destiny 2 character. Leave the Destiny-like energy in Anthem where it belongs.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like the ridiculous floaty bow...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bow looks cool, y'all are silly.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

Might be but I´m all for letting the Templars get themselves murked instead of sacrificing an entire generation of Mages to old Cory in order for the "reform" ending to take place. The only bad thing is that you can´t nix Viviennes grab for power while she is still under your roof.

You aren't sacrificing an entire generation of Mages.

The game makes it fairly clear Fiona is disliked by most of the apostate/rebel Mages. The group you recruit is just "her" group, which has been molded by her.

CotJ makes it very clear you also recruit the vast majority of Mage Circles, apostates and more, and there's even a bit during the Arbor Wilds segment where you talk to your Mage lead and they all but say Fiona joined the Venatori willingly for power and they wanted none of that.

This is on top of the fact Fiona helped with the slaughter of the Tranquil as part of her initiation into the Venatori, forced out the elderly/apprentice/noncombat Mages on orders of Alexius, and was responsible for the burning of the Hinterlands before being introduced to Alexius. Her whole enslavement and just following orders argument is pretty awful.

Also the hints in CotJ that if you side with the Templars, Alexius ultimately attempted to turn on Cory to protect his son, and Fiona is the one who exposed/killed him for Cory.

Like to twist what you said back, as much as I love Mages, I'd do anything in my power to make sure Fiona isn't the one charting their future post DA:I. I'm more then willing to sacrifice those that got caught up in her schemes if it means she has no say in the future of the Mages.

I doubt our character is Tevinter. Darrah mentioned in the past the motif of PC coming from the lands of the previous game is something they hold to DA. See Hawke being Ferelden and the Inquisitor being a Free Marcher. Our next protag will be Orlesian if I had to guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We've already had an Orlesian option (the Awakening Warden), but that's not really a full game.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I think the bow is great and I'm operating under the assumption this game takes place in the oldest house

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man I hope Da4 doesn't suck. Give me at least DA:I or even Da2 quality.

I'm in the mood for a big dumb Bioware epic lately.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if morrigan gets mad about all these stupid hats I make her wear

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
On this DA2 replay I've really grown to appreciate how heavily the game is about local politics and organically escalating tensions with the red lyrium stuff being completely incidental to the plot at large. Almost makes me wish Corypheus wasn't in Inquisition and that game was entirely about dealing with the baggage of Chantry succession and mage-templar war.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nina posted:

On this DA2 replay I've really grown to appreciate how heavily the game is about local politics and organically escalating tensions with the red lyrium stuff being completely incidental to the plot at large. Almost makes me wish Corypheus wasn't in Inquisition and that game was entirely about dealing with the baggage of Chantry succession and mage-templar war.

I enjoy DA:I a lot more knowing how it has set up DA4. Corypheus is a whatever villain on his own but when it sets up [spoiler]Solas[/b] as the antagonist for DA4 that kinda owns. The lore of the series is a big draw for me. Unlike Mass Effect it feels like there has been a level of thought and continuity put into it and each game seems to build well upon the lore of the last one.

Which will make DA4 all the more disappointing with how Bioware has been trending as a company but I have some small hopes that they'll get it right :(

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

I've tried Dragon Age Inquisition for the first time recently and am running into a weird issue. A couple of times per minute the game freezes for a few seconds. I think it happens when particle effects are being heavily used?

I have a pretty new machine with a Ryzen 9 3950x and a 3080. I've used the NVidia Experience app to "optimize" my settings, I've always set my graphics to "low" but I really think I shouldn't need to reduce the graphics. I am on an ultrawide though which might be part of the issue (3840 x 1080p).

Anyone else have/fix issues running the game like this?

edit: interesting, seems to only happen when my Xbox controller is connected via bluetooth, if I plug it in there are no freezes

Glimm fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 9, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lysistrata posted:

I hadnt read the previous thread, but i did read all of this one and am kinda encouraged but also kinda disappointed that the biggest Take here is just "DA:O/2/I was a bad game" because thats pretty understandable, they all have both flaws and good points and i can see why any one might not land with someone. I personally enjoyed them all, some unreasonably (DA:O) and some with major caveats (DA2).

They wouldn't back off that position, just got madder and madder about it, until i told them originally the Darkspawn weren't even supposed to be a thing at all, iirc they were added so you had at least one enemy that everyone agreed was bad.

Anyone else hear any nuclear DA takes like that?

my nuclear take is i actually like DA2 even though its weird messy game that shits its pants hard at the end plus etc. its one of the few games that i like where everyone is a kinda of dumb rear end in a top hat or a weirdo dumbass and your the straight man/women through the whole thing. i like the qunari poo poo and all the dumb drama with the cast and alot of quest triggers are loving broken so in my first playthrough i missed emo elf and gently caress pirate. i like that all the poo poo just goes nuts 2thirds through game and keeps ramping up.

anyway i got back into playing DAI finished the orlaie quest well enough. and near the end game. biggest issue i have is how badly the quests set up. there is way way way to much weird lovely busy work to do any fun quests. you have to do like 20 "find random poo poo or fight random rear end" to get enough points and to unlock poo poo you have to wait 5 irl hours for the war table to reset or some poo poo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there a short list of must have mods for DAI?

Going through it for the first time, was looking in here but spoilers abound

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Glimm posted:

I've tried Dragon Age Inquisition for the first time recently and am running into a weird issue. A couple of times per minute the game freezes for a few seconds. I think it happens when particle effects are being heavily used?

I have a pretty new machine with a Ryzen 9 3950x and a 3080. I've used the NVidia Experience app to "optimize" my settings, I've always set my graphics to "low" but I really think I shouldn't need to reduce the graphics. I am on an ultrawide though which might be part of the issue (3840 x 1080p).

Anyone else have/fix issues running the game like this?

edit: interesting, seems to only happen when my Xbox controller is connected via bluetooth, if I plug it in there are no freezes

Has nvidia experience turned on dsr mode? You may be running at 4x the resolution.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

victrix posted:

Is there a short list of must have mods for DAI?

Going through it for the first time, was looking in here but spoilers abound

Biggest ones for me were War Table - No Waiting to avoid the pointless waiting periods and More Banter so that you can actually hear your companions talk poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my nuclear take is i actually like DA2 even though its weird messy game that shits its pants hard at the end plus etc. its one of the few games that i like where everyone is a kinda of dumb rear end in a top hat or a weirdo dumbass and your the straight man/women through the whole thing. i like the qunari poo poo and all the dumb drama with the cast and alot of quest triggers are loving broken so in my first playthrough i missed emo elf and gently caress pirate. i like that all the poo poo just goes nuts 2thirds through game and keeps ramping up.

anyway i got back into playing DAI finished the orlaie quest well enough. and near the end game. biggest issue i have is how badly the quests set up. there is way way way to much weird lovely busy work to do any fun quests. you have to do like 20 "find random poo poo or fight random rear end" to get enough points and to unlock poo poo you have to wait 5 irl hours for the war table to reset or some poo poo.

You should definitely get the War Table - No Waiting mod I linked above. It makes the war table much, much better.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Nearing the end of this full franchise replay (doing Trespasser now) and my sizzling take is that Origins has the best gameplay, Inquisition has the best party members, but overall I just kinda enjoy playing DA2 the most. I love the compact game world which is made more palatable to me in my current "having played half a dozen Yakuza games that just take place in the same neighborhood" state, the tactics menu still exists, and everything's just kind of a pulpy high flying romp. It is a relatively tiny game made on the cheap but on a conceptual and vibe level I gently caress with what it's doing to a high degree. Also it's got a lot of qunari stuff in it which is always the best.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If someone could go through and just bang together some more art assets for the out of town missions. A couple of different caves or some ruins etc then DA2 would be the perfect...oh wait no as I type that I'm remembering the companions. Ok if the companions were better and the out of town missions weren't all the save cave with different doors closed off DA2 would be the perfect Dragon Age game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If someone could go through and just bang together some more art assets for the out of town missions. A couple of different caves or some ruins etc then DA2 would be the perfect...oh wait no as I type that I'm remembering the companions. Ok if the companions were better and the out of town missions weren't all the save cave with different doors closed off DA2 would be the perfect Dragon Age game.

I mean even with Fenris, Anders, and Merrill weighing it down, Aveline and Varic are the best and while I get some people can hate Isabella I love her too. Like the Aveline/Varic/Isabella party is so fun to use you can just ignore the others.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nina posted:

Nearing the end of this full franchise replay (doing Trespasser now) and my sizzling take is that Origins has the best gameplay, Inquisition has the best party members, but overall I just kinda enjoy playing DA2 the most. I love the compact game world which is made more palatable to me in my current "having played half a dozen Yakuza games that just take place in the same neighborhood" state, the tactics menu still exists, and everything's just kind of a pulpy high flying romp. It is a relatively tiny game made on the cheap but on a conceptual and vibe level I gently caress with what it's doing to a high degree. Also it's got a lot of qunari stuff in it which is always the best.

I really enjoy the lore in Inquisition. The mmo type quests can feel grindy but I'm a nerd and love reading all the little elven ruin codexes and what not.

I do enjoy them all though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Biggest ones for me were War Table - No Waiting to avoid the pointless waiting periods and More Banter so that you can actually hear your companions talk poo poo.

You should definitely get the War Table - No Waiting mod I linked above. It makes the war table much, much better.

How do I go about actually installing these? The mod manager seems to be for some very old patch version

e: Looks like this https://frostytoolsuite.com/downloads.html but I'm having fucky problems with Origin/Steam playing nice, I'll keep loving with it

victrix fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 22, 2021

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Everyone's got different tastes and sweet spots. For me Dragon Age: Origins was probably the best time I've ever had playing a computer RPG. Just one of my favorite games, that I replayed a bunch of times. The only games that really outshine it for pure, personal fun-value are Fallout: New Vegas and Mass Effect 2. DAO really hit the sweet spot for me, what with the variety of choices, the way the gameplay felt like playing an expansive and homebrewed D&D campaign, the way that I could build and guide my character, and all the ways you could interact with other characters (so long as you ignore the dumb gift system that kind of broke the roleplaying elements).

Oh. Awakenings was really fun, too. Love doing the Neverwinter Nights 2 castle-manager thing, which they smartly carried on in DAI.

I know it has a lot of flaws (very much a product of its grimdark times in the early 2000s, with an unnecessarily ugly color pallet and uneven writing), but DAO will always have a special place in my heart.

Dragon Age 2 is *also* a product of its time, and one of the reasons I didn't like it was how much is cribbed from Mass Effect 2 and tried to be a 'you're-the-ultimate-super-mega-soldier' game in a fantasy setting. That doesn't work. Also the fighting wasn't much fun, the environments were stale and lifeless, and they made some weird choices story-wise. It's a shame. An RPG about a character living in a *city of adventure* over the course of ten years, with the city and the character changing over that time, is really compelling. Shame the game never implemented any of that. On the plus side DA2 is one of my favorite Bioware games in terms of giving you lively companion characters and ways to interact with them/ways they interact with each other.

DAI...ugh. I just can't take all that open world MMO item-gathering/box checking poo poo. There were a lot of great characters and moments and minor quests in that game, but that all got drowned out by running around a boring map looking for spots to fight uninteresting battles or collect elfroots or whatever. Also the game didn't really have an ending, at least if you're playing with no DLCs. You're just sort of piddling along, then suddenly there's a boss fight to save the world, then the game's over. Varric was cool, though.

Edit: my short Dragon Age takes:

Dragon Age Origins was one of my favorite RPS ever. Dragon Age 2 was deeply flawed but had enough fun moments and elements that I replayed it a few times. Dragon Age Inquisition had a lot of fun character interactions and a few fun quests, but ultimately I couldn't stand all the tedious running around and only played through it once, with no desire to play it again.

Blastedhellscape fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 22, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nina posted:

yeah. i never got into 1. i just could never get into the combat systems(my fault, not the games) and i guess it was too hardcore mechanicaly for me. idk. 2 was too dumbed down but i enjoyed that it wasn't "a great evil awakens" type story. does the story click or work fully. gently caress no, it has enough interesting ideas and concepts that i enjoy it alot. i like that the city is just full of assholes and the city is basicaly gotham and keeps making GBS threads out more and more insanity as the game goes along. i love the qunari and their whole struggle of basicaly being the warrior class being cut off from the rest of their society and not being allowed to leaved because of their mandait and the city keeps loving them over and over every time they make any kind of goodwill or headway until they just say "ok gently caress it, sack the city and make it bow to the qunn way". i just like how the game is just a pressure valve slowly ticking up and up and up until anders goes 9/11. whats sad is the game is janky as gently caress and alot of the times quest triggers don't work right, so you don't always get full stories and poo poo.

Admiral Ray posted:

playing on console for so no mods for me lol.

Ginette Reno posted:

I really enjoy the lore in Inquisition. The mmo type quests can feel grindy but I'm a nerd and love reading all the little elven ruin codexes and what not.

I do enjoy them all though.

yeah. i enjoy it too. i like the world for the most part in Dragon age even though i kinda think origins makes it feel way more generic than it is.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Blastedhellscape posted:

DAI...ugh. I just can't take all that open world MMO item-gathering/box checking poo poo. There were a lot of great characters and moments and minor quests in that game, but that all got drowned out by running around a boring map looking for spots to fight uninteresting battles or collect elfroots or whatever. Also the game didn't really have an ending, at least if you're playing with no DLCs. You're just sort of piddling along, then suddenly there's a boss fight to save the world, then the game's over. Varric was cool, though.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I did want to say Inquisition's Trespasser has a smooth implied transition to the next protagonist. The ending is a proper handoff

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blastedhellscape posted:

Dragon Age 2 is *also* a product of its time, and one of the reasons I didn't like it was how much is cribbed from Mass Effect 2 and tried to be a 'you're-the-ultimate-super-mega-soldier' game in a fantasy setting. That doesn't work. Also the fighting wasn't much fun, the environments were stale and lifeless, and they made some weird choices story-wise. It's a shame. An RPG about a character living in a *city of adventure* over the course of ten years, with the city and the character changing over that time, is really compelling. Shame the game never implemented any of that. On the plus side DA2 is one of my favorite Bioware games in terms of giving you lively companion characters and ways to interact with them/ways they interact with each other.

yeah thats my issue with DAI. you have to tick like 30 boxes to do any real quests even for companions, most of whom i like and poo poo. like i havent done blackwalls because his never activated or some poo poo. idk whats funny is loving ME:A has the same issue but with none of the endearing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

isk posted:

I don't disagree with any of this, but I did want to say Inquisition's Trespasser has a smooth implied transition to the next protagonist. The ending is a proper handoff

*The sound of one hand clapping.*