Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Oh my lord I got past the well of sorrow and the game still isn’t over.

And dammit I was waiting for Solas to jump up and try to use the well since someone told me he was the main bad guy but he didn’t even want it when I suggested he take it. At this point if he goes mustache twirling villain I think that takes the cake for most complicated and inefficient villain plan ever. Or maybe he isn’t the bad guy and people are loving with me? How many more major setpieces has this thing got??

E: oh boy, I finally got my Quantum of Solas. It’s the awkward romances where the limbs clip into each other that really make these bioware games :allears:

Solas isn't necessarily the villain. It's....complicated. You won't really get the full story until Trespasser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know how anyone can enjoy the actual game play of the Dragon age games unless you're a spergtastic min-maxer who enjoys setting a thousand AI variables so he doesn't have to click during a fight.

All I ever did was one shield to tank damage, one Mage to kill everything, one mage to heal and one rogue to unlock stuff

You shouldn't have to deal too much with that. Origins is easy with the DLC gear. You can be a Warrior who gets 100% magic resistance which makes Nightmare a joke. Or a Mage who doesn't even need gear. Or a Rogue who can stack so much cunning you backstab for ridiculous amounts.

DA2 has DLC gear too but it's not as overpowering as the stuff in Origins. Also I think the Nightmare mode in that is the hardest of the three by virtue of the fact that it forces friendly fire. And none of the classes seem as individual OP as the stuff you can do in Origins or Inquisition.

Inquisition can be broken over your knee regardless of class if you craft stuff. The only way it becomes a big challenge is if you use the trials.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

Tempest Rogue is very fun in DAI for the ridiculous damage and escapes and hitting-every-button you get from it. Also, it means you don't have to use Sera!

Also once you get the throwing daggers ability and some gear you can pretty much solo Dragons. Pop Lightning Flask to get into position, then Pop Fire Flask and spam Throwing Daggers. The damage will continue to ramp up the more you spam until that poor Dragon is getting hit for 8k a hit. I would kill Dragons in under a minute with that build.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There's not much justification for choosing the Qunari for any character really. They have a long history of not negotiating.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

I see Solas as just another side of the same coin as Corypheus: Haughty arrogant old dudes who want to forcibly revert the world back to some abstract ideal that never really existed, that they themselves played a central role in loving up to begin with. gently caress that noise, Thedas may be a steaming shitheap but at least it's OUR shitheap, so go gently caress off to the veil and leave us alone.

Yeah I don't see how everyone having magic and magic being more powerful/prevalent would lead to anything but disaster. It did in the past after all. Presumably the Elves created the Blight and that is why Solas locked them (and it) up. It breaks down like this for me. +/- for Veil being down:

+ Everyone can do magic, so mages don't get discriminated against any longer.
+ In the long run Spirits and People will co-exist more easily maybe because Spirits will no longer lust over what they can't have. They'll just be a part of the world like everyone else. Maybe that means no more demons, or less of them?
+ Uh I guess if you're an Elf you possibly become immortal again.
+ All that magic will allow for some pretty cool marvels like flying cities and poo poo. Maybe quality of life is higher for a lot of people with that available.

- The veil being sundered might lead to a mass influx of Demons.
- Magic is presumably more powerful with no Veil, and last time it was like that the Blight was created and people enslaved and blah blah
- The shock of everyone suddenly having magic and having to live with Spirits/Demons will lead to chaos and craziness everywhere
- The Evanuris get to come back, and each one of them is more powerful and possibly more evil than fuckin Corypheus
- The Titans probably wake back up which could be a good or bad thing as we don't know a lot about them but I'm guessing bad as the one waking up in Descent caused earth quakes and poo poo

The minuses seem like a bit much to deal with

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Note: I’ve skipped over all posts since my last post and will go back and read them once in through the DLC.

I just beat the main campaign. WHAT. That was the most convoluted last minute rear end pull I’ve seen in my life. Guess I better do the DLC now to get some kind of explanation.

Yes. Trespasser is great. The other DLC is solid but Trespasser is the one ya gotta do. It's the true end to the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think we might not have seen the last of Flemeth/Mythal. It looked like just prior to Solas appearing and killing her that she was sending something through the Eluvian. My theory is that was a piece of her essence or whatever. I think Solas took most of what she is, but not all. Also DA2 showed that Flemeth is capable of sending a piece of herself elsewhere to be reborn so I doubt she is truly dead either way. I think her and Solas have fairly similar goals but that she might still have her own somewhat separate agenda from him and that DA4 (if it even gets made :v:) will show that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

It's not really foreshadowing him as the villain throughout the game but foreshadowing him being the dread wolf, there's a ton of ancient elf stuff he knows and a lot of the ways he refers to things. Little stuff like how he refers to the little veil related globes as an artifact of his people, but he will not refer to Dalish elves that way.

Him knowing about Skyhold is probably the biggest alarm bell that there's more to him than meets the eye. I chuckled when Xibanya talked about Solas pulling a castle out of his rear end because I wanted to tell him you have no idea how far the rabbit hole goes.

And in retrospect his whole cover story sets off a lot of red flags. He claims he's just some random elf hobo who explores the fade 24/7 and knows a lot and his knowledge seems to frequently dwarf other more classically trained mages like Dorian and Viv. Realistically there's no way an apostate hobo is going to be more well read than a Circle Mage but there's so much chaos at the start of DA:I that nobody thinks too hard about it.

Also him just showing up shortly after the veil rips open and hundreds of people die.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

re:Blackwall. Dude wanted to be a Warden, he just...never got around to doing the Joining part. Since most people seem to think Grey Wardens is good at killin Taintboys, BW didn't have the knowledge that 'hey this process actually pings you to darkspawn' and decided to help as best he can. Except for the bloodjuice, Blackwall is a Warden, so making him one proper-like is the best choice, just like setting the box of whats-her-name around the country is the best choice.

I don't know if it's the best choice given the Wardens are a huge band of fuckups in DA:I and the joining is giving him a death sentence since it eventually kills those who do it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

It's a very distant death sentence (and not absolutely guaranteed at that, see Fiona) and it means we're not saying Blackwall's victims don't matter, or that there's special treatment for murderers who happen to be our mates. Meanwhile Hawke is reforming the Wardens and could probably do with an ally, while Blackwall idolizes the wardens, would like to be one, and would feel he was atoning for his crime.

The epilogue makes it sound like some serious poo poo is going down with the Wardens in the Anderfels. That could be a civil war or who knows what.

You can justify having him join the Wardens but it's a dangerous decision given all the uncertainty around them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I tried to come back to Inquisition, and I'm having real trouble just getting back after the Witcher 3. Has anyone else had a similar problem.

That's probably gonna be hard. Witcher 3 has better sidequests by far. Inquisition is often like playing a single player mmorpg.

That said the core story of DA:I is still solid enough and I enjoy the characters and setting/lore. If you get bored with an area just move on. Don't burn yourself out fetching 10 bear asses or whatever. Get enough power to do the next main quest and move on. Do as much of the side content as you feel but don't feel compelled to do all of it.

And for the love of god avoid any collections stuff unless you enjoy doing it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

From what I can remember -- and I don't think this is a spoiler -- Cassandra and her crew have actually been preparing to reinstate the Inquisition for a while now. That was going to be their next plan if the Conclave had failed, which it did. So all the pieces and infrastructure of the Inquisition were already in place by the time the game started; the only missing piece was the Inquisitor him/herself. And Cassandra had originally wanted Hawke to be the Inquisitor, which is why she had sought out Varric. So she and Leliana had been planning this whole thing pretty much since the ending of DA2.

Yes, that's true. The Divine was going to the conclave with the intent of brokering peace between the Templars/Mages, but if that failed she was going to declare the Inquisition.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

It occurs to me I'm not really sure what caused the Rift in the first place. Corypheus? A bunch of very upset wizzards? Solas' unbridled superiority complex being backed up for so long without anyone to lord over?

The Orb had a massive amount of energy that it had collected over centuries of being dormant. Unlocking it and releasing that dormant energy blew the Temple up and ripped the Veil wide open.

What I don't get is what Solas had expected to happen if the Inquisitor hadn't intervened. He said his plan was for Cory to die in the explosion and then for him to reclaim the orb but the Inky received the anchor from the orb and was therefore able to survive the resulting explosion. Wouldn't it stand to reason then that if Cory had gotten the mark the way he'd intended that he'd have survived the explosion too?

Also since it seems likely that the Ancient Elves created the Blight then shouldn't Solas be well aware of its capabilities and assume Cory might know about the immortality trick?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Why was Solas sleeping for millennia and what made him wake up?

That isn't clear. I think there's two likely reasons. #1, creating the veil probably took a lot out of him. He was also probably pretty depressed and upset about having to do it. Keep in mind that creating the veil essentially destroyed his people and their way of life, and he knew that would happen. Countless marvels depending on the Fade were instantly ruined when he put up the veil. Possibly this also cost his people their immortality. But it was either do that or have them continue to destroy the world and everyone in it. So he puts himself to sleep after loving over the status quo and decides he'll wake up much later to see how it all turned out. And obviously when he wakes up and sees just how far his people have fallen and how hosed up the world is he resolves to undo what he did.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Cole at least seems to have the good sense to be somewhat ashamed at all times.

I also liked the conflict his character drew out in Varric and Solas, who otherwise don’t really interact. Also Uncle Varric was very :3:

I like that choice because there's no clear right answer. Cole being a spirit or more human are both pretty valid things to argue for. I agree that Cole is a bit meh most of the time though. Sera is actually cool and good once you get past her ridiculous introduction.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

I expect there to be consequeces in 4 since last time doing it Varicks way gave us Anders.

Actually if anything Solas' view would be more dangerous because Cole as a spirit means Cole has the potential to turn into a Demon. Cole as more human might prevent him from becoming a demon even if it also limits his ability to feel the pain of others and help them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

But that quest was getting him an amulet to prevent his being turned so maybe he'll be fine if you let him remain spirit-y.

The amulet was to prevent him from being forcibly bound/turned into a Demon, but there's still nothing stopping him from willfully becoming one I would think.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

kurona_bright posted:

I think a part of the reason for the desire around Cassandra to be a female love interest is because there is a distinct lack of butch women who are lesbians in videogames. And a lot of the women characters that present as butch (Cassandra, Cora, <non-bioware example> Zarya) either are explicitly straight or don't have anything suggesting otherwise. Which is weird and another can of worms entirely.

That's because lesbian romances in games aren't for lesbian gamers but for men.

I mean I'm sure game developers would swear otherwise but they aren't stupid. They know their audience.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Similarly, a lot of gay male romances in video games aren't for gay men, but for women.

I imagine this is true as well.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Bioware though? I feel like with DA especially they know they’ve got a solid following outside the usual horny young male demo and would want to toss them some bones

They've been getting better at it for sure. Sera isn't a beautiful girl who just happens to like girls. She actually looks normal.

That British chick in ME3 whose name escape me though was pretty obviously marketed for dudes even if it was a lesbian romance.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 12, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

cams posted:

i gotta say, the combination of the animation and the sounds makes me find the daggers in dai extremely viscerally pleasing.

you're just stabbing away, forever.

Dagger rogues just absolutely shred everything in Inquisition. They're a bit glass cannonish until you get equipment but man once you do they're just dumb. That's true for most classes of course but a Tempest Rogue with crafted daggers can shred a Dragon on Nightmare in under a minute.

Of course it's been a while since I played it but I remember my Archer Artificer being equally silly when I did that run. Hooking into enemies and then throwing a million traps at once was always a good time as I recall.

Rogues are probably the most fun class in DA:I.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

I wonder why they've never fixed the strange audio bug when you first go to the Temple of Sacred Ashes. I don't know how it is for a male, but with a female inquisitor, when you hear her interrupt Corypheus's ritual, she says "what's going on here?" in the most casual tone - it's actually a line from a later scene with Dorian and Giselle. In the Fade it's a different lineread and much more appropriate.

I noticed that too when I was playing and I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not. It made me laugh though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

If they want to use a character, they'll use them no matter what your story state is.

I just hope they use Loghain. It's hilarious to keep him alive in each game despite his best efforts at getting himself killed.

I don't know what direction they'll go with DA4 (if there even is one :( ) but I wouldn't be surprised to see Solas be more of a guy working in the background in that game. I bet the Qunari will be at the forefront of DA4 and Solas will factor in but not as the main plot. At least not until Act 3 or the DLC.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah KE now is about doing high damage to keep your barriers up. Before that was as simple as spamming blade but now you want to use other spells primarily and then swing your blade only when it's charged up.

e: I got distracted from a full series run I was doing months ago and just now got back into it. Just finished DA2 as Mage and Origins as Dwarf Noble Warrior. Blood Mage was pretty nice on Nightmare in 2.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Von_Doom posted:

So how'd you like the Dwarf Noble? I played other runs but that DN is my "canon" run. Loved it. Did you go Bhelan or Harrowmont? I carried that Aeducan family shield with me forever. There were better shields but... that one was mine.

Went Bhelen. He's much better as a King than Harrowmont. And yeah I used that Aeducan shield for pretty much the whole game since I went sns.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

John Dyne posted:

I played as a dwarf noble in DA:O and I really, really wanted to loving stab Bhelen in the face. I understand it's dwarf society to do that kinda poo poo but holy gently caress he killed his dad and older brother and framed the PC for it. That's some dick moves right there, man.

I picked Harrowmont only because he didn't try to frame me for the murder of my father and older brother.

My Dwarf Noble was a nice guy but he also wanted to do what was best for the Dwarven people and he knew of all people that Harrowmont would suck.

Bhelen is a prick but Bhelen gives more rights to the casteless and is willing to open trade with the surface. Harrowmont doubles down on traditionalist bullshit and puts the Dwarves in an even worse spot. Plus by DA:I we learn that Bhelen continued to search for the Dwarf Noble when he went missing and Harrowmont yielded to pressure from the assembly and declared the DN dead. Harrowmont is nice and noble and all that but he's worse for the Dwarves over all.

In Da2 I went with humorist mage Hawke and picked the humor option every time even when it was vastly inappropriate. Humor Hawke if you stick 100% to it almost comes off a sociopath sometimes (and at the least a bit of an rear end in a top hat) but I enjoyed that playthrough. If/when I go through DA2 again I'll probably do Aggressive Hawke Warrior since a lot of people say that's fun. I liked Mark of the Assassin a lot. Some people find Tallis annoying but I found her ok. The Duke is a fun villain and that final boss fight is probably my favorite boss encounter in the series. It took me a few tries to crack it on Nightmare but it was very satisfying when I did. I actually like DA2.

Inquisition I'm going with Female Elf Mage for the whole Solas thing. Plus I like the idea of having a Dwarf, Human, and Elf hero in my storyline. If Da4 comes and allows multiple races I'll go Qunari.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

leave the hinterlands

e: the MP was pretty dead 3 years ago too. it never took off because it is poo poo.

I remember Me3's multiplayer being decently fun but don't remember Inqusitions being all that memorable.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

It's interesting to see the way game design has evolved for sandbox-ey games. In Inquisition they put in map completion/doodad gathering that felt like Assassin's Creed, and MMO style quest design. In the latest AC game it's the former, and lootboxes, which are all the rage in all parts of the industry. What wondrous garbage will the future hold for DA4 (coming to mobile platforms 2020, apple pay integrated)

I wish designers would follow the choices Witcher 3 makes. That game has a gently caress load of content but almost all of it is interesting. Even the side quests in that game have good writing and intriguing hooks. I was totally blown away by how they managed to do that because a lot of times side quests in games can feel like busy work or have lazy writing. Not so for the Witcher.

A DA game made in that style would own

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

PureRok posted:

Thinking back on DA:I. I played through the whole game without talking to Solas at all. Surprise to me when he turned out to be important!

That's not true, I talked to him something like twice. And I ended up making him really angry, and I didn't like his big, stupid, shiny head so I said "FINE, stay in your weird room I forget even exists half the time until I run through it and get all Gandalf 'I have no memory of this place.'"

Yea.

Also, Blackwall, Dorian, and Sera were my favorite teammates and never left my party. Honestly, DA:I was the first Bioware game where I mostly ignored my teammates (except for these 3, really). I think DA:2 started that trend for me, where I ignored whatever that angst elf guys name was, since whatever I said made him angry.

But, anyway, Dorian was the best and I hope I get to kill Solas or something (I'm actually kind of "meh" on Solas. A little peeved that he took my hand). We still spoiling stuff from DA:I? Not really following the thread.

Sorry for rambling, just felt like sharing.

Edit: I heard that maybe/probably DA4 will/could be set in Tevinter. That'd be pretty cool. Maybe Dorian will show up again and I can be his Sword&Shield while he obliterates our enemies with fire and purple magic.

Did you get this dialogue option in Trespasser? It always makes me laugh because of how wounded he looks when you say it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9MVLhhww0s

I'm not sure the exact conditions on it. I think you have to basically not ever ask him questions.

e: Solas is my favorite party member but he's definitely a bit of a prick if you disagree with him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BlazetheInferno posted:

Good lord, why did I put myself through that.

I just beat Jarvia... at level Nine... without Wynne. Party was Me (sword&board), Leliana, Morrigan, and Sten. Morrigan does not have a heal either. If she did not have Force Field, I guarantee I would not have been able to pull it off.

I've never tried going to Orzammar first. That sounds pretty rough, although if you use DLC gear it should be manageable.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Just finished Jaws of Hakkon again. I forgot what uptick in difficulty that is from the base game. Even with my KE in full crafted gear I could still get one shot or two shot by a lot of those enemies on Nightmare. I shudder to think what that would be like with the Walk Softly trial on.

Hakkon himself was actually a pushover though. The Hakkonite soldiers are much tougher since their damage can knock you out in a second on Nightmare.

Doing Descent now and then Trespasser and then I'll be done. I even did most of the collection quests although I held off on finishing the Mosaics/Bottles because gently caress it. The Shards at least had a tangible benefit. KE's still own btw. With a crafted staff and fire mine/Winter's Grasp I have basically perma barriers up and pretty good damage. The only enemies that can challenge me now are ones that do so much damage that they can chew through my barrier in seconds (Hakkonites). Anything that damages at a more gradual rate is cake since the barrier recharges so quickly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SgtSteel91 posted:

I never tried Knight Enchanter but I had fun with the Champion Spec of the Warrior Class, especially with the skill that taunts the enemy to deal and take more damage. It made one-on-one dueling pretty fun.

It's pretty fun. Good group damage and basically invulnerability against 99% of enemies. Once I geared up nothing in the base game could touch me. That's true for most classes though I guess.

I had fun with a Tempest Rogue previously. You can kill Dragons in under a minute with those by spamming abilities with flasks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

What do you recommend for a KE? I'm only about level 14, about to do Adamant, but damage-reduction-wise I'm not doing so good. How does your perma-barrier thing work? I have a guard on hit staff which is my go-to.

Tempest was hilarious fun, easily the most fun I've had playing the game.

Fire mine with flaming array is your bread and butter. Also grab Winter's Grasp and the upgrade that makes it do 1000% weapon damage when they are frozen. Grab the ability that makes you invuln for 2 seconds and 1000% weapon damage if you materialize inside enemies as well. Fade cloak.

Then buy a tier 3 staff recipe from the Black Emporium and craft it asap. Lightning is probably the best element. Few enemies seem resistant to it. Combat for me is usually get close (Fade step is nice for this), drop down a flaming array, and as soon as one of those hits my barrier is full up because they hit for thousands of damage. Winters grasp is a nice single target DPS spell as well as if you hit enemies already frozen with it it does massive damage.

But basically I spam flaming array as much as possible. I also use Immolate for some more damage.

The key is the crafted staff though because your abilities depend on weapon damage percentages. So the more base DPS your staff does the better your spells will hit. Also craft for a ton of critical percentage too if you can. Get your crit chance over 50% because crits are great for Mages. There's a lot of abilities you can skill up to which help you with crits. Constantly critting keeps your barrier up too.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 13, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

Do you guys craft gear for all your party members or just the Inquisitor? It seemed like so much work to make stuff for everyone that I let them all use whatever the best scavenged loot was

Yeah, I usually do. You certainly don't have to. For some party members it can make a big difference. God help you if you try to run Iron Bull or Cole without crafted gear, for example.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
^ I found Wall of Fire pretty nice in the Jaws of Hakkon DLC only because those guys hit so hard that panicking them rather than trying to quickly burst them down often kept me alive longer.

But yeah it's not the greatest ability most of the time otherwise. Fun to use and looks cool though.

e: Finally finished my full series playthrough. How exhausting. DA4 should be p fun. I hope they go a little less heavy on the open world approach. I'd rather have less content but it be more engaging than a zone like the Hissing Wastes which is boring as gently caress. The core content of DA:I s all pretty good. More of that please Bioware and less fluff.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 15, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Is DA:O’s difficulty curve scaled or just really good? I think I’ve done things in the intended order and it’s always been in the sweet spot between challenging and frustrating.

Also, are there any companions like Leliana whose quests are triggered by having them in the party when you travel? Everyone else’s thus far was triggered by camp chat.

There's an ideal order to do the quests through from a difficulty standpoint. It goes something like this:

Redcliffe/Mage's Tower (bout the same difficulty)
Brecilian Forest
Denerim
Temple of Sacred Ashes
Orzammar
Endgame

You can even tell it's supposed to be that way because if you go to Orzammar first you face a really tough bounty hunter fight at the gates which is the game's way of telling you not to go there until you're higher level.

As for party members who have quests triggered by traveling, Wynne has a few quest triggers that only happen with her there when you're traveling. I think her and Leliana are the only ones though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can actually flee from the bounty hunter fight I believe. Just run past them along the side towards the gates.

The only downside of doing Orzammar last is Oghren will come in really late, which is a bummer if you want to do his personal quest. You're not really missing out on a character, though.

You can still do his quest. Give him every alcoholic gift you have and his approval will get high enough to unlock the quest.

Doing his quest in Awakening is irritatingly hard though. Requires giving him every last gift he's supposed to get and also never losing approval from him in conversations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Are sidequests still available if I do the Landsmeet?

Orzammar was brutal towards the end. I thought I’d hit a wall with the Broodmother; I couldn’t outlast the final swarm of darkspawn but finally managed by making Shale defensive, which worked for some reason. That rotating statue boss is broken - I did half the fight with my mage alone because nothing would attack unless I attacked it first.

Yes they are available right up until you do the actual Landsmeet itself. Until you're on the debate floor yelling at Loghain though you've got time to do stuff. The Landsmeet doesn't immediately start when you initiate that quest hub. There's more to do when you start it.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 26, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I go with Loghain. I really like his arc if you have him in DA:I.

That said I haven't managed to keep him alive through Inquisition yet. It's too hard to kill my Hawke :(. One of these days I'll play rear end in a top hat renegade Hawke so that I can feel less bad about upsetting Varric.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is 2 ever getting backwards compatible for xbox one, because i might give it another round again if it does. i started playing mass effect 2 again(uploaded a old save file so i am new game plusing it) and drat it feels good to play Good bioware game again. inquesition was good but after andromada, i needed a nostalgia trip.

Me2 is pretty good. Honestly Me3 is for the most part too it's just the final quarter of the game is so incredibly poo poo it sours the experience a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I enjoyed Hawke.