Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What, makes them gay, exactly? They didn't trip my gaydar so I honestly don't know what you mean.

well you see...Cassandra has short hair.

That's the only justification I've seen, she has short hair so she must be butch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

She’s not feminine enough so she obviously must be gay, pretty much. Dunno what to call it but that kind of reasoning doesn’t sit well with me. :shrug:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Avalerion posted:

She’s not feminine enough so she obviously must be gay, pretty much. Dunno what to call it but that kind of reasoning doesn’t sit well with me. :shrug:

It's called stereotyping :ssh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Every character is gay or straight or both or neither completely at my whim, the player.

- A Bioware Fan.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have just decided that Anders is a furry. If you disagree, that's oppression!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The only thing Anders is, is dead. :colbert:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's a scene where a female character can pursue Cassandra to a certain degree. She is clearly caught off guard and more than flattered, but her response is more to the line of it wouldn't be right than I'm not interested. But hey, you're all right, she has short hair, so she's gay. ??? I thought we were better than this. Ad hominem isn't super cool.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

I have just decided that Anders is a furry. If you disagree, that's oppression!

His fursona is some goth raven bullshit

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Oh dear me posted:

There's a mod that lets women romance Cassandra too. You don't get all your own character's voiced lines, but it's nice to have all the same.

There was such a mod until a bunch of angry boys screamed at the creator for daring to do so, harassing her until she removed it. Last I saw you can't really find it anywhere because boys don't like letting girls play with their toys.

E: Apparently someone has decided to take it upon themselves to do the mod again. Awesome. https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1502/

Here's coverage of the original backlash: https://femhype.com/2015/03/18/bi-cassandra-mod-backlash-the-creator-speaks/

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bogart posted:

There's a scene where a female character can pursue Cassandra to a certain degree. She is clearly caught off guard and more than flattered, but her response is more to the line of it wouldn't be right than I'm not interested. But hey, you're all right, she has short hair, so she's gay. ??? I thought we were better than this. Ad hominem isn't super cool.

This makes me actually want a romance where the npc at some point admits that they aren't actually into the sex of the player character and breaks it off

It would make people so mad but also it's a real thing that happens

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Starts character creation in new Bioware game*

*Decides on short crop haircut for female character*

Game: You have selected "gay woman".
A - Confirm
B - Edit

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

Cassandra’s whole characterization is that despite her tough exterior, she’s really into girly feminine things and chick lit romance novels. She’s straight as hell.
That's kind of stereotyping in the opposite direction. There are plenty of lesbians who like those things too!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

*Starts character creation in new Bioware game*

*Decides on short crop haircut for female character*

Game: You have selected "gay woman".
A - Confirm
B - Edit

lmao

I didn't think Cassandra was either gay OR straight until she started talking about romance novels. I thought she was a stereotypical "above that kind of thing" warrior :shrug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Her one true love is the feel of battle; the clashing of bone and sinew

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Transmogrifier posted:

There was such a mod until a bunch of angry boys screamed at the creator for daring to do so, harassing her until she removed it. Last I saw you can't really find it anywhere because boys don't like letting girls play with their toys.

E: Apparently someone has decided to take it upon themselves to do the mod again. Awesome. https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1502/

Here's coverage of the original backlash: https://femhype.com/2015/03/18/bi-cassandra-mod-backlash-the-creator-speaks/

this is fuckin' nuts btw. like seriously fuckin' terribad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A character who doesn't immediately want to gently caress anyone, the rarest of all Bioware specimens.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
There's no equality unless someone makes a Romancing the Stone mod that lets me and Shale finally be together :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

There's no equality unless someone makes a Romancing the Stone mod that lets me and Shale finally be together :colbert:
Nexus being Nexus there's probably one out there that makes Dog romanceable :gonk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Groetgaffel posted:

The only thing Anders is, is dead. :colbert:

Anders is alive, well, happily married to Hawke, and living with five cats in a pleasant home :colbert:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I think a part of the reason for the desire around Cassandra to be a female love interest is because there is a distinct lack of butch women who are lesbians in videogames. And a lot of the women characters that present as butch (Cassandra, Cora, <non-bioware example> Zarya) either are explicitly straight or don't have anything suggesting otherwise. Which is weird and another can of worms entirely.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

kurona_bright posted:

I think a part of the reason for the desire around Cassandra to be a female love interest is because there is a distinct lack of butch women who are lesbians in videogames. And a lot of the women characters that present as butch (Cassandra, Cora, <non-bioware example> Zarya) either are explicitly straight or don't have anything suggesting otherwise. Which is weird and another can of worms entirely.

That's because lesbian romances in games aren't for lesbian gamers but for men.

I mean I'm sure game developers would swear otherwise but they aren't stupid. They know their audience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ginette Reno posted:

I mean I'm sure game developers would swear otherwise but they aren't stupid. They know their audience.

Similarly, a lot of gay male romances in video games aren't for gay men, but for women.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Wow this is a take

I guess when david gaider, a gay man, wrote dorian's romance, he was thinking about what appeals to woman rather than what appeals to himself

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Bioware though? I feel like with DA especially they know they’ve got a solid following outside the usual horny young male demo and would want to toss them some bones

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Okay to clarify so I look like less of an rear end:

Gay romances in videogames are so far and few between (I'm struggling to remember any significant ones beyond bioware and stardew valley) that bioware games actually make up a significant fraction of the games that have them. And again, David Gaider has been a significant factor in the dragon age series (and mass effect didn't even get any besides tali until 3). So idk, i have a problem with the suggestion that a gay man was writing romances featuring gay men for a female audience

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Similarly, a lot of gay male romances in video games aren't for gay men, but for women.

I imagine this is true as well.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Bioware though? I feel like with DA especially they know they’ve got a solid following outside the usual horny young male demo and would want to toss them some bones

They've been getting better at it for sure. Sera isn't a beautiful girl who just happens to like girls. She actually looks normal.

That British chick in ME3 whose name escape me though was pretty obviously marketed for dudes even if it was a lesbian romance.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 12, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I imagine this is true as well.

They've been getting better at it for sure. Sera isn't a beautiful girl who just happens to like dudes. She actually looks normal.

That British chick in ME3 whose name escape me though was pretty obviously marketed for dudes even if it was a lesbian romance.

Yeah ME is a little more checkered in that regard (see, e.g., no gays until 3, Ashley’s uh, evolving aesthetic) but I feel like by inquisition, the DA team knew who their fans were.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

kurona_bright posted:

Okay to clarify so I look like less of an rear end:

Gay romances in videogames are so far and few between (I'm struggling to remember any significant ones beyond bioware and stardew valley) that bioware games actually make up a significant fraction of the games that have them. And again, David Gaider has been a significant factor in the dragon age series (and mass effect didn't even get any besides tali until 3). So idk, i have a problem with the suggestion that a gay man was writing romances featuring gay men for a female audience

I don't think you looked an rear end at all, but I think you meant Liara (or Scout Harding as I think of her, nowadays). Agree with your general point completely, though.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Whoops, yeah. I meant Liara.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Am I misremembering that at a certain point in development both Cassandra and Cullen were bi?

Also Kaiden is bi but this was removed in ME1. Why? I don’t know, but I do recall there was a lot of cattiness from people who romanced him with FemShep, just incredibly defensive because how dare their video game BF potentially have a past relationship with/have an attraction to men/masculine folks. Meanwhile I don’t seem to see similar arguments around Josie or Iron Bull (or Ja’al for that matter).

Meanwhile: let me romance Krem, you cowards.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Honestly I think the DA2 approach of anyone can romance everyone is best, with exceptions of characters while their sexuality is a big part of their character (Dorian being bi wouldn't work).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

precision posted:

A lot of romance books with gay male pairings are actually written for women (and mostly by women as well), so this makes sense in general. But as others have said, Gaider probably didn't write Dorian with a female audience foremost in his mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think Cullen was ever intended as a bi romance, in fact his inclusion at all in Inquisition was due to his popularity among female fans of the series.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I never got what made him popular enough to be brought back in DA2, but his inclusion in Inquisition made sense. He's one of the most sane Templars around, and he even defied Meredith at the end. Since the Mage-Templar conflict was pretty big in the first part of DA:I, he was a good choice for advisor.

But he never gave off any vibes of being bi, neither in the two first games nor in Inquisition.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

But he never gave off any vibes of being bi, neither in the two first games nor in Inquisition.

Most people don't.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I never got what made him popular enough to be brought back in DA2, but his inclusion in Inquisition made sense.
Cullen became popular thanks to fanfic writers. If you play as a female mage in DA:O, Cullen has something like three lines that indicate he has a crush on you. The Bioware forums jumped on that and lots of smutfics were born.
Basically the same thing that happened to Tali from ME, though slightly less awful (people liking Tali because she was so "innocent" in ME1 will never stop creeping me out).

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Avalerion posted:

Most people don't.

we have a racial bonus to stealth.

but agreed that might as well let everyone fall in love with everyone unless it’s Dorian or someone else where their sexuality is integral to the character.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
why is being gay integral to a person's character but not being straight?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Personally I like Inquisition's spread of sexualities(I would, of course, always like more of everything) - it makes the characters feel more like real people. And Dorian prompted me to make literally my first male RPG character ever just to see what romancing him is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

why is being gay integral to a person's character but not being straight?

Dorian’s whole conflict with his family is that they want him to find a woman to make babies with but he’s not into that. Make him straight or even just bi and you remove that.