Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm 100% buying this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

just some really cool fan art:
https://twitter.com/DancinFox/status/967822833584926720

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's interesting that they're releasing both a new book this summer (Hard in Hightown), and a rerelease deluxe edition of the first DA book. Seems like they're starting to hype a new game.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

snoremac posted:

His voice is smooth and buttery.

When I saw Isabela in DA:O I assumed she was joining the party. I wonder if they carried her over to DA2 due to time constraints or something.

I think they've said before that Isabela was always intended to be elaborated on, but maybe that's not true.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Liliana breaking out into song in a completely different voice after dealing with the elves in DAO was worse

Especially jarring if you just finished feeding them to werewolved

I always liked Morrigan's "ughhh, this loving poo poo" facial expression.

But I am a terrible person and I really do like the Dawn Will Come scene.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 27, 2018

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like the earnestness and interactions of the party members in Bioware RPGs. It doesn't bother me that the cast breaks into song like once a game, especially when the moment called for it, like it did in that instance.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

snoremac posted:

God, the aesthetic at the bottom of the Deep Roads just before The Wellspring is so eerily captivating. In a game that’s already got some great art direction that takes the cake.

It's really good. I hope we see more of the levels used in The Descent in future games.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

AND AND AND sometimes they straight-up ignore it! Like hey, I put Bella in charge of the dang tavern in Redcliffe, if you're gonna track that then where is Bella's tavern in DA:I Redcliffe eh?

Pretty certain you're never in that part of Redcliffe in Inquistion.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Bioware store is having a huge sale on basically everything. Some stuff is like 90% off. I wonder if that's not a great sign for the future of their non-Anthem games. Or just their games in general.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

If you ever bothered playing Witch Hunt (its not that bad) and imported a female mage character it comes up again with two gossiping mages talking about how he left for a different Circle because of his lost love.

Witch Hunt is kinda interesting in how much it sets up for DA2 and a bit of DAI even if the gameplay in it is wholly uncompelling. It has a lot of Kirkwall references in it the same way that Trespasser goes hard in foreshadowing Tevinter.

It's actually kind of crazy how you can find references to Inquisition in Origins. There was obviously a plan for these games which is pretty admirable.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It’s frustrating that the biggest reason for lack of options tends to be dev laziness/lack of genuine time to program these things and it ends up translating into “Bioware doesn’t care* about gay people”

* the people handling the money just don’t care anyway

Cullen and Solas were added in as romances late in development. Which is weird since Cullen had been so (oddly) popular since the first game, and Solas' romance is probably the single most relevant to the overall story.

Ginette Reno posted:

Origins is definitely the best of the three imo.

The thing about Inquisition is I like the characters and I like the core story but there's so much grinding in the sidequests.

I like DA:I a lot but it easily has the worst side quests overall. Some are decent though.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Randallteal posted:

I wish more games let you matchmake your party members. Those relationships would be a lot more interesting than ones involving the blank slate player character.
Yeah, I love these. I spent hours grinding Dorian and Iron Bull's conversations to get them to hook up. I somehow missed out on Blackwall and Josephine which sucked, but they break up eventually anyway.

PureRok posted:

I felt the romances in general were lacking in DA:I. I mean, there's only 2 straight male romances, if I remember correctly. Well, 1 viable one because who would want to romance Cassandra?
Cassandra's is probably the second most fitting romance story-wise, after Solas'. She's great.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sten is briefly mentioned in DA:I, but I forget under what circumstances. I think Varric talks about him because he meets him with Alistair in one of the comics.

Shale is not mentioned, and does not die in any of the books. She's still around, somewhere.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taear posted:

I'll look forward to that happening in 2020 or whenever.

The most concerning thing I've read is that DA4 has already been "rebooted" behind the scenes, somehow. I don't get how you can reboot it when we already know DA4's plot has been broadly written out for years; it was supposed to be the latter half of DA3's before DA3's focus got tighter.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah just make sure you have enough Friendship/Rivalry with her to ensure she returns at the end of Act 2 with the Tome. Then when the Arishok says "we're leaving....WITH the thief" you say "sure."

It's kinda hosed up since this is Isabela finally learning to trust somebody...and then you immediately send her off to be a slave.

I love Isabela but the entire ending of Act 2 is kinda really her fault. If she hadn't run off with the Qunari equivalent of the original written Bible, there'd be no rampaging ox-men. Plus my first Hawke just really liked the Arishok. (got "A Worthy Rival" without even meaning to)

I like that choices like this exist, but I really hate how the party handles it. You'd think Fenris and Aveline would leave if you did that, but nope.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bumblebee posted:

The Bioware store is closing. Should we be concerned? :ohdear:

http://twitter.com/JonRenish/status/985979386842132480

Yes. It's pretty obvious to me that Dragon Age is being completely mismanaged, and Anthem is Bioware's last chance. Which is insane to me because DA is a property that has always been commercially successful.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dragon Age after its third game is in a much stronger position than Mass Effect was. People generally liked Inquisition, and people want to know what happens next in its story, which so far has been pretty well done and soundly constructed. The same can't be said for Mass Effect 3. Again, it's just crazy to me that they'd trash all this work and potential for profit.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 17, 2018

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HIJK posted:

Welcome to EA where their unrealistic profit expectations destroys good studios

RIP Command & Conquer

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think EA's mandate that they all use Frostbite was reasonable, but I also don't know a ton about development so I don't have much room to talk.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Andromeda is worse than DA2. DA2, at the very least, is connected to Dragon Age as a whole. It fits into the narratives of Origins and Inquisition. Andromeda doesn't.

Also, I say that as someone who liked it more than most people.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DA2 feels like it has a reason for existing though. Andromeda doesn't. Andromeda never overcomes its incredibly awkward premise that it's a sequel that wants to have nothing at all to do with the three very successful games that came before it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Out of no where, there's two more DA tie-ins coming out. An addition to the table top RPG, and a special edition of the second tie-in book. I'm thinking all this new stuff is part of the lead up to DA4.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think you needed the Mabari pre-order DLC power to tank for that boss fight to be semi tolerable.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Also, I always thought it was bullshit that the Mabari was a DLC character when he was better and more interesting than Sebastian.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Uh this is probably the most distressing exit yet. This franchise has been so mismanaged when it has so much potential.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HIJK posted:

Can EA just loving collapse already?

Not before the Command & Conquer remasters from Petroglyph.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

No one else seems to have interpreted that as him leaving, so maybe I misread it? I don't know. But a Dragon Age without Weekes--and also without all the other big names who left--is going to be poo poo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

precision posted:

God help me I'm pretty tempted to get Hard in Hightown

I got it. It's very short, and was probably my least favorite of the books, but it's still fun since it's literally a book by Varric. There's weirdly a lot of information about the Executors in it, which I guess is semi-canon since it's stuff Varric would know, but filtered through his fictional writing.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

Where are you getting this from? As far as I know the only one like that is Cullen...

Yeah, there's like one clear example of that, and that's Cullen. And even then, he wasn't a romance until third game, and wasn't even a playable party member. The fan service stuff is being exaggerated.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think the complaint with bioware is less that they listen to "the fanbase" than that they define "the fanbase" as the horniest, loudest minority of fans on the internet

I mean, I guess it's always going to be a thing that the most noticeable contingent is going to be the most vocal one, but bioware seems to have habit of giving it a bit more deference than others, it sometimes seems.

Then it becomes this horny ouroboros where the more you listen to them, the louder and hornier they get
I never got this feeling from these games.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HIJK posted:

So out of 20 years of games there’s only 1.5 examples of fanservice affecting romance options?

I always thought Cullen was one of the better written romances since it tied into the plot so well. the scene in the chapel still sticks with me.

That Bioware and their insane fan service for horny fans. :jerkbag:

If people like a character, what's the harm in bringing them back, especially when Cullen fit well into the story of Inquisition?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I've always considered DA2 to be a bad game that I nonetheless kind of love. I actually enjoyed the gameplay, and I think the characters are well written and fun to interact with. It obviously is still bad though because it had like two or three maps that it used for all quests, and a claustrophobically small game world that didn't even take advantage of the cool time gimmick.

DA2 with more money and effort might be best the best in the series, but it was only in development for less than a year.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taear posted:

Is there really anything "derailing" the thread when nothing new has been out in years?

There's been a bunch of comics setting up new characters for a game that will never exist!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I wouldn't mind Dragon Age: Tactics as a spinoff until DA4. It's certainly better than a 76 or Immortal situation, and you could still have party relationship dynamics like Fire Emblem or something.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dragon Age just got a very short teaser, with a Solas voice over from Trespasser.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3lrXlti-8
Here's the YouTube link.

Apparently that's the idol Hawke finds in the second game.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That teaser was really cool though. Definitely looking forward to this.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DA4 retaining DA:I's art style, as well as following up on the DA2 idol and Solas is great. That's pretty much exactly what I wanted, and even the tiny bit of original music was really good.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DA:I should've been smaller and tighter, but the shittier aspects of the open world didn't stop it from being a good game. I should hope Bioware knows what works for them and what doesn't, and takes lessons from DA:I, Andromeda, and Anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Witcher 3 is a great game, but the combat pretty quickly becomes boring and way too easy even on the highest difficulty. The three DA games don't really have uniform difficulty (even within the same game), but most of the time there's at least some challenge.